PDA

View Full Version : I'm lifting and running hard, why is this happening?

ShadyRensch
07-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Ok so I lost a lot of weight, and now i'm trying to tone up. I've been lifting really hard and also running, and also doing abs.

At first the results were great, it felt like my stomach was tightening up, but there was a thick layer of fat over my abs, not the fat on my stomach and sides is soo loose and soft it's ridiculous, it's very stretchy too.... when standing it's a little easier to see my abs though. But I also notice when I sit down that it folds very easily. I don't get it, my regimen hasn't changed.....does this mean the fat is loosening and will eventually burn off...????

Like I can seriously hold it in my hands, and it's like it crumbles, the thing is I'm not really fat at all anymore and have been toning up nicely, it's like all the sudden I noticed this.

A pic could be done, but I doubt anyone wants to see it.. haha

If it helps to know what I'm using, I'm on NO2, Whey Protein, and Thermorexin.

LIfting 3-4 times a week, and running 4-5 days a week. Abs everyday. I also play tons of tennis. 6'0'' 203

I'm mad/sad right now...please tell me there's light at the end of the tunnel!

fixationdarknes
07-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Post your diet. That would help determine what's going on.

ShadyRensch
07-06-2005, 09:50 PM
I usually have an egg mcmuffin type sandwich for breakfast, with low fat cheese and egg beater eggs. A GNC Mega Whey protein shake for lunch, and whatever for dinner but I frequent the Subway. I've drank pretty much every weekend, but I make sure to either run or play tennis the next day. I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I wouldn't think this much. if I stop the drinkin do you think that it will fix this mess?

Unholy
07-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Ouch, you just answrred your own question.

ShadyRensch
07-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Haha, ok. I've been working so hard, it's not worth it to drink. Well at least it's that simple, it won't be hard at all to not drink. Good news. Really did answer myself though, figured that was it.

Unholy
07-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Oh boy

BG5150
07-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Diet, diet, diet. That's where its at (Built where are you?)

And liftin' more than someone doesn't mean you know more...

As for the diet, from what you posted (aside from the drinking) it doesn't seem like you are geting nearly enuff protein.

Dis the NO2 (useless).

And as for the fat over your stomach...you can't "spot" reduce.

Look up "Built" Her diet will get them pounds off...

Shao-LiN
07-06-2005, 10:50 PM
You think doing abs everyday is going to help you lose fat over them or somethin? Do you do chest and arms everyday in hopes of losing fat over those too? Your diet will determine fat loss. If you've stalled, there are numerous explanations.

For instance, you could have put yourself into a huge deficit to begin with. You saw rapid weight loss, but you also quickly stalled due to your body thinking you are starving yourself crazy. If you weren't in a deficit and you just stalled, maybe you just haven't adjusted your diet accordingly. Maybe you need to take a break and eat at maintenance for a week or two, then continue dieting again.

In any event, from what I'm seeing, your diet just plain sucks. Your calories seem way too low, and you also do tons of cardio which only furthers the deficit. Basically, you're starving yourself and your body is holding onto any fat left in order to keep you alive, more or less.

Chizniz16
07-06-2005, 10:50 PM
I dont think you mentioned your goals here. Cut or bulk? Then we can talk because there are some other people from Minnesota on here too.

Shao-LiN
07-06-2005, 10:53 PM
I dont think you mentioned your goals here. Cut or bulk? Then we can talk because there are some other people from Minnesota on here too.

I dunno if I'm totally off, but my logical conclusion was that he was trying to cut in order to expose his abs.

ReelBigFish
07-07-2005, 12:24 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but, Chiz and Shady, where at in MN are ya'll at?

Built
07-07-2005, 12:32 AM
I'm here.

My diet is in my sig.

You can't cardio off a sh!tty diet.

:)

bradley
07-07-2005, 05:02 AM
And as for the fat over your stomach...you can't "spot" reduce.

I beg to differ. While I agree that you can't just melt away globs of fat, there are supplements available that will help "spot reduce" fat in stubborn areas (abs, love handles, etc.)

YungLifter
07-07-2005, 05:24 AM
maybe you lost weight to fast over a short period of time and now you have loose skin. And I dont think doin abs everyday is best way to go you should do it maybe 3times a week so you can have resting periods b/c your probably overtraining them.

zimbo
07-07-2005, 06:50 AM
I think it's entirely possible that the reason your stomach seems loose and stretchy is because you have LESS fat than before. However, losing weight and getting in shape is a marathon not a sprint. Be patient and I'd suggest reading a little to improve the quality of your diet so it's not a crash course. You might want to use a calorie-tracker site such as FitDay.com that will help you determine over time how many calories your body is actually burning and then shoot for a daily deficit of 500-1000 calories.

--Steve

Unholy
07-07-2005, 07:26 AM
I beg to differ. While I agree that you can't just melt away globs of fat, there are supplements available that will help "spot reduce" fat in stubborn areas (abs, love handles, etc.)

Find one that works and you can be a millionaire

Tony G
07-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Find out your maintenance and reduce by 10%. Structure your diet around ample protein (1.25-1.5 grams per lb), keep your carbs relatively moderate (0.75-1 grams per lb) and eat them around training time and get your EFA's (as Built said, use fat as a caloric ballast).

Drawn out steady state cardio is NOT the most conducive way to burn fat. Since you play alot of tennis, I would say continue to do that and then add in 1-2 HIIT sessions in per week.

As far as abdominal training: stop with the crunches. You need to work your abs in all planes of motion (flexion, extension, rotation) and USE WEIGHT!!!!

But yes, fix your diet and you will be fine.

bradley
07-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Find one that works and you can be a millionaire

The people over at Avant Labs have already beat me to the punch. I would recommend that you look at the research behind their products.

pfc3rex
07-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Well bradley if it doesn't work we know who to blame :p

trainerSI
07-07-2005, 10:17 AM
No need to post again, just repeating....I agree with Tony and Built. If your diet is crap your gains and results will follow.

zimbo
07-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Drawn out steady state cardio is NOT the most conducive way to burn fat.

Please clarify.

--Steve

Chizniz16
07-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but, Chiz and Shady, where at in MN are ya'll at?

Im from Mankato, and Capn Crunch who also posts on here is from the Mound area.

Unholy
07-07-2005, 11:07 AM
hiit is more efficient. Even lifting burns more calories per an hour than cardio.

Anthony
07-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Shady: your diet sucks, so at least you know what to fix.

Zimbo: HIIT is better than steady state for burning fat and equivalent in regards to increasing your vo2 max. If you want to know what HIIT is, do a search. ;)

ReelBigFish
07-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Im from Mankato, and Capn Crunch who also posts on here is from the Mound area.

Cool. I used to live in Farmington. It's a little town about 30 miles up I 35 from you around Lakeville and Apple Valley. What a small world huh?

zimbo
07-07-2005, 11:16 AM
hiit is more efficient. Even lifting burns more calories per an hour than cardio.

Oh, ok. He simply means that you burn more calories *per minute* with hiit than with, say, walking.

I, personally (and I'm an admitted newbie), find my workouts go better when I don't burn out aerobically. I can always walk an hour during lunch.

--Steve

ShadyRensch
07-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Ok, sounds like I will switch up instead of running miles everyday, trying like suicides, or say the Raymond Berry every other day?

If someone knows a fat reducing diet, that also will improve my muscle growth that would be great. I actually love having a set diet, with a certain amount of calories, I'm used to doing weight watchers because that's how I got from 280 to 203. So now I'm just looking to improve muscle mass, and cut fat. But especially cut fat. So if anyone can help me find a good diet, thank you.

If it helps, I am a 6'0'' tall 19 year old male, 203 pounds. Thanks so much for all the help!!!!!

shansen008
07-07-2005, 03:01 PM
So now I'm just looking to improve muscle mass, and cut fat.

Arent we all.....

Choose one or the other, youll drive yourself mad trying to do both at once.

Cut
Bulk
Cut
Bulk
Cut
Bulk

Just take 2 steps forward, then 1 step back...and repeat.

Built
07-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Try my diet. I'm quite liking the nutrient-timing / carb cycling approach the way I've been following it for the last 6 months or so.

D Breyer
07-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Cool. I used to live in Farmington. It's a little town about 30 miles up I 35 from you around Lakeville and Apple Valley. What a small world huh?
i play a lot of hockey in that area... i live on lake minnetonka in mound...

ShadyRensch
07-07-2005, 05:32 PM
I live in Red Wing. Ok, Built, I will look at your diet, but it seems so complicated to me... :cry:

Here's what I thought of though.

Mon,Wed,Fri
Afternoon-Lift from roughly 4-6 pm
Run lightly, say a mile or two at about 8 pm
Abs at night before bed

Tues,Thurs.
Squat, Leg Curls, Extensions, some other random leg lifts.
Run 3 50 yd sprints, 3 40, 2 30, 1 20, 3 10's --2 sets of that
Play Tennis

And I will eat a little more....unless I can figure out Built's thing haha

Shao-LiN
07-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Lifting sessions should be shorter than 2 hours. What are you doing that it takes you 2 hours to complete a workout session?

Unholy
07-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Bsing between sets :D

ShadyRensch
07-07-2005, 09:11 PM
^ You hit that right on the head. I lift with 2 or 3 friends so that's why. If I'm by myself it takes an hour and 15 give or take.

BG5150
07-07-2005, 09:45 PM
When I do work out with a partner, we have a saying:

I move you move.

Gets thru the workout timely.

Junin
07-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Sounds weird, but I plateau'd for 2 weeks. This week, I stopped doing cardio every day and I started to lose weight again. Probably has to do with the fact that I eat 1200-1500 calories a day.

VDubb
07-08-2005, 09:26 AM
I live in Red Wing.

The Mayor of Red Wing, Mrs. Dummer, is my aunt!

I live in Bloomington.......very small world!

ShadyRensch
07-08-2005, 09:47 AM
haha cool about the mayor!, yea I think I was just freaking out the other day, because I weighed myself this morning, 200, the lowest i've EVER been, if I'm below 200 next week I'll flip because I probably haven't been able too say I'm a hundred something since early teens!

Tony G
07-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Please clarify.

--Steve

I'll keep it simple. Kelly B wrote a good article on it, so I will give you the cliff's notes version of what he said. The reason why many advocate steady state cardio for fat loss is because the percentage of fat being burned is quite high, but even if you're burning 90% fat during your cardio; 90% of nothing is still nothing. I mean, the main substrate being burned while you sleep is fat, are you going to sleep more to burn more fat?

What counts when it comes to fat loss is TOTAL caloric expenditure throughout the day, hence why high intensity exercise is more advantageous. Once you're done doing cardio (steady state), you're basically done burning calories and EPOC is low (Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption). How when you do HIIT, EPOC is soaring and catecholamines are sky high and you will burn MUCH more fat in the long run in about 1/3 of the time.