PDA

View Full Version : Kinda hurt my back w/ DL, squat?

BG5150
07-06-2005, 10:44 PM
The other day, I was doing DL's and I lost sight of my form for a moment and I felt a pulling sensation in the muscle over the back of my right hip (not sure exactly which one). I usually have very good form on all my lifts and I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out what went wrong. :(

I've hurt my back in the past (a couple years back when I wasn't working out) and whenever I did, it killed me for, like, almost a week. This time, although it felt the same, the next two days I haven't been out of commission--that is, it didn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it would.

Today I did bi's/tri's and there still is a dull ache. Tomorrow is legs day. Do you think I should still do the squats? Or even leg presses? I was just thinking about maybe just doing leg extensions and curls, along w/ calves.

Patz
07-06-2005, 10:48 PM
you're probably better off to go lighter, but not necessarily skip the squats. just do whatever you feel capable of, without a threat of aggravating the injury. you've already proven to yourself the benefits of weight training, by the quicker recovery time. if it were me, i would do SOMETHING to put a little work on that muscle, just to give it a stretch, but i wouldn't work it too hard.

d'Anconia
07-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Yeah I'd agree that lighter weight would be in order although it depends on how you feel on the leg day. That's good that it felt like a muscle pull and not a bone or tendon/ligament injury.

BG5150
07-06-2005, 11:36 PM
It certainly wasn't a pull...I pulled a groin in college, and I also pulled my hamstring. When i pull a muscle I know it...it kills! It was really wierd, tho'. I thought I might have pulled it...it felt like it right away. But a bit afterwards, it felt like when I had strained my back doing crap around the house a couple years back. At that time, the next day, I couldn't move. Or, at least, it was very difficult to move.

This time, it had all the indications of being a repeat, but it didn't happen. But it's still achy. At leat I have 15 hours to see. I'll do a couple of 100# squats to see if it's acting up. And then some 300# leg presses to see if that's any better...

d'Anconia
07-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Yeah I wish I could give you better advice but I'm really not a physician or anything close and I wouldn't want you to injure yourself because of me.

BG5150
07-06-2005, 11:44 PM
oh, no, trust me. I wouldn't hold anything against anyone here giving advice. I was just kinda fishing for any similar stories and what they did.