PDA

View Full Version : Summer '05 Goals

spanky33
07-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Alright, procrastination is over. Time to get this journal started. A little background info about me:
Live in downtown Toronto. Currently a university student. Started lifting not too long ago. I just finished cutting, and now I'm ready to bulk. I'm going to hold steady at maintenance for a couple of weeks before I start my bulk to avoid switching directly from cut to bulk.

I haven't decided how to bulk yet. I'm a former fatass, so I fear fat gain. I might do the UD2.0 mass gain variant, or an extremely slow bulk. My maintenance cals are ~ 2500/day.

Short term plans: Hold steady for 2-3 weeks. Then slow bulk of 0.5 lbs/week max.

Current stats: I'm holding off weighing myself and getting my measurements cuz right now i know that my electrolytes, body water, weight, etc...are ****ed up cuz i was cutting hardcore until yesterday. So I will hold off measuring myself in any way for a week. I will start all that either next monday or friday. I'm roughly 11% fat, height is 5'8", just turned 21. Weight is around 131 lbs. I know, I'm skinny, but remember, I used to be a fat ass, so I want to gain weight right this time....

My diet staples are essentially oatmeal, natty, fruits and veggies (esp veggies), mixed nuts, A LOT of fish, and I throw in other food depending on what I buy that week at the grocery store (i.e. FF cottage cheese, milk, turkey sausages, etc...).

I live away from my parents (except on weekends essentially), so I can pretty much eat what I want, which makes it easier to eat clean, but sometimes I **** myself over by eating all the junk when I do go to my parents' place.

I'm not sure how I plan on breaking my workout up yet. Either:

Day 1: Lower
Day 2: Upper
Day 3: cardio/off
Day 4: Lower
Day 5: Upper
Day 6 and 7: cardio, soccer,off

Or some sort of push/pull/legs split, still working out 4 days/week.

Don't know yet.
Anyway, for these two maintenance weeks, I'll be doing whatever I feel like. Maybe cardio, maybe lifting, depending on how I feel. I just want to get back into rhythm, and get my energy back from cutting. I will do full body at least 2X / week to avoid muscle loss.

Ok, so that's that. Going to start posting tomorrow. All advice is appreciated.

spanky33
07-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Ok so I changed my mind this weekend. I decided to dive right into my bulk. So I'm going to split it upper/lower. Unfortunately, I've ****ed up my ankle, so I can't do lower just yet.
Hitting the gym later tonight with upper. Cals are way up. I didn't really count this weekend, but I'm guessing I averaged 5000-6000 per day. I was cutting pretty hardcore (psmf) before that, so I guess my body just needed food badly.
Anyway, most of the cals came from natty, oatmeal, and peanuts, and I cheated with some brownies, but whatever.

What scares me is that my weight is up a good 18 lbs. LOL. is that even possible?! I was 132 on friday. Today I was 150. I know it's mostly water. It's just funny as hell. And very surprising. But anyway, I started at roughly 132 and 11.5% fat. I think I'm something like 13% fat now. Dont know the weight. I'll wait a few days for the water to drop before I make any more measurements.

spanky33
07-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Day 1
Sleep: 8 hours
Comments:
Had to skip lower and start with upper, on account of my ankle. In terms of calories, I ate something like 4500, even though I only need around 3000 to bulk. But I'm sort of in a dilemma. I've been really hungry lately, so eating only 3000 will mean I'll be hungry half the time...which makes no sense on a bulk. So I'll just eat however much I need to stay satisfied until this hunger thing passes by. All my cals are coming from oats/PB/fish anyways, so it's not like I'm eating crap.
On another note, I struggled with my chin ups today. I think it's because I weigh an extra 18 lbs (water weight as mentioned previously).

Works out: 1 hour and 15 mins.
Incline DB bench: 90 * 8 * 3
Chins: BW * 5 * 3
DB bench: 90 * 8 * 3
Rows: 170 * 8 * 4
Lateral raises: 15 * 8 * 3
DB curls: 25 * 8 * 2
Dips: BW * 8 * 3
Machine circuit training for about 20 mins.

Hopefully I can do lower tomorrow. We'll see

spanky33
07-12-2005, 09:17 PM
day 2

Ok so today was legs day. I was sort of hesitant to go through with it cuz of my ankle. so i took it a bit easy.

Workout:

SLDL: 100 * 10 (1 set)
210 * 8 (3 sets)

Squats: 100 * 10 (1 set)
185 * 8 (3 sets)

Deadlifts: 210 * 8 (3 sets)

Calf raises: 175 * 8 ( 3 sets)

Then I went upstairs and did some leg work on the machines and some ab work. Of note, I did 3 sets of 330 * 8 of leg presses. I hope to press all the weights on that machine by the end of summer. I think it goes up to 410 or something.

General Comments: Well, i was able to do legs even with my busted ankle. My weight is still at 149. I can't explain it. How can someone's weight go up by 17 lbs after one cheat day???? I thought it was all water, but I've been holding this exact weight since sunday. Saturday = 132 lbs. Sunday = 150 lbs. Tuesday = 149 lbs.
At first, I was apprehensive about eating a lot again today. I've been downing 4000+ cals the past few days. But then I sucked it up and ate a bigass bowl of oats mixed with PB and trailmix and a few bananas b4 hitting the gym. Total cals for today again probably 4000 or very high 3000's.
As of tomorrow, i'm going to count cals and lower them significantly...Closer to 2600. I can't keep going on this bulk until i know my exact weight, and i have a feeling i wont know my weight until i eat at maintenance for a little while to get all this water out.

Tomorrow is my off day. Depending on how my ankle feels, I might do some cardio.

mickyjune26
07-12-2005, 09:29 PM
I know what you mean about eating at parents' house. When i go visit my dad, all we do is eat appetizers. luckily he has weights in the house so I lift a lot to break even.

I laughed out loud when you decided to go straight to bulk. It's pretty hard to bulk slow, because the strength doesn't go up as fast.

Sure your scale isn't broken. ; ) Afer cutting hardcore and switching straight to a 6000 cal diet, I wouldn't be surprised if a decent amount of that food when straight to fat.

Congrats on eating just oats/fish and such. Stick with it, measure it, and make small improvements. You can do it. Keep posting.

mickyjune26
07-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Also - when I was bulking (at 200 pounds and average metabolism), I only ate 3500 cals. What are you using to calculate your calories?

spanky33
07-12-2005, 09:39 PM
hey mickey, thanks for the comments.
yea it would suck if it's a lot of fat. might have to cut again for a week or two to get lean again. we'll see.
i haven't been strictly counting cals the past few days, but i have a good idea how how much i'm eating cuz i've been eating entire packs of things. for example, a whole jar of pb, and x packets of oats...things like that.
so i'm pretty close with my caloric estimates.

mickyjune26
07-13-2005, 06:13 AM
Whole jar of pb? Man, that's a lot! :)

spanky33
07-13-2005, 08:54 AM
i have a massive appetite.

Guido
07-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Nice start to a journal.

Seems like you're going a little overboard with this whole bulking thing. Take it slow. Figure out your maintenance cals on Fitday.com or something and try eating just 500 or so calories over that per day. If you gain weight too fast, most of it will just be fat. Also, it seems like you need some more variety in your diet. I don't know how you can be getting sufficient amounts of all the nutrients your body needs only eating PB, oats, and fish. You need some fruits and veggies in there, and some more types of meat, whole grains, etc.

Since you've read my whole journal (I still can't believe you did that!), you know how I started, and how I've gotten to where I am now. If you want, go ahead and follow some of my routines and diet. You should see similar if not even faster gains since you're relatively new to lifting.

spanky33
07-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Nice start to a journal.

Seems like you're going a little overboard with this whole bulking thing. Take it slow. Figure out your maintenance cals on Fitday.com or something and try eating just 500 or so calories over that per day. If you gain weight too fast, most of it will just be fat. Also, it seems like you need some more variety in your diet. I don't know how you can be getting sufficient amounts of all the nutrients your body needs only eating PB, oats, and fish. You need some fruits and veggies in there, and some more types of meat, whole grains, etc.

Since you've read my whole journal (I still can't believe you did that!), you know how I started, and how I've gotten to where I am now. If you want, go ahead and follow some of my routines and diet. You should see similar if not even faster gains since you're relatively new to lifting.

Hey guido, thanks for the comments. Yea, I know I'm bulking too quickly. The problem was that I was constantly hungry. So I was feeding myself constantly because being hungry on a bulk just doesn't seem right. My maintenace cals are roughly 2600-2700. Anyway, today I wasn't so hungry. Thanks again for the comments. I'll be looking at your journal as sort of a template/motivation.

EDIT: oh, and pb, oats, fish are my staples. I eat plenty of other foods. Those three just make up about 60% of my diet. I also mix in all bran cereal, a lot of milk, cottage cheese, a lot of greens, 2-3 pieces of fruit, whole wheat bread, roasted chicken breast, etc...

spanky33
07-13-2005, 08:10 PM
day 3

Ok so today was my off day. Damn I'm sore all over. I love DOMS dont you?

Workout: No weight training
Cardio: Had a nice long 40 minute jog through the streets of T.O.

Diet: Only about 2200 cals so far. Probably hit 2600 before I sleep. Cals came from oats, salmon, shrimp, cottage cheese, mixed frozen veggies, pear, and miscellaneous condiments (i.e. FF mayo).

Comments: I felt good today. My appetite is finally in check. I wasn't too hungry today. Had a bad stomach ache for about 20 mins so I drank some pepto. I took the biggest dump ever today too LOL. And my weight is finally going back to normal. Still waaay above normal, but I'm thinking it'll come off in the next few days. Tomorrow is upper body day. Can't wait.

mickyjune26
07-13-2005, 08:17 PM
lol - i'm not going to say what I'm laughing at.

spanky33
07-13-2005, 09:01 PM
LOL. it took like 20 minutes hahahaha.

spanky33
07-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Ok so I checked my weight today. 140.5 lbs. Down considerably, but still up from last friday quite a bit. I guess cheat days can set you back quite a bit (opposed to what they say).
anyway, i skipped upper body today on account that I'm going to try a UD2 mass variant. since i've already hit my target weight, I'm going to do an 8 week UD2 program where my goal is actually weight maintenance. However, I will be trying for recomposition.

Anyway, it's the 8 day variant, run for 8 cycles. I should end by sept 16th roughly. That's just about when university restarts. By then I hope to lose maybe 3 lbs of fat, and regain an equivalent weight in LBM.

I'll put details up as I go through the diet.

Tomorrow will be full body depletion. Cals will be just under maintenance, and low carbs.

Today's workout: No weight training.
Cardio: Ran for 45 mins. I'm very very very sore in the legs. Hopefully I'll be ok for tomorrow's depletion.

spanky33
07-15-2005, 06:29 AM
So here are my UD2 maintenance variant starting numbers. Will update these weekly. Goal is to get waist down, maintain weight. Lose 2-3 lbs fat, gain 2 lbs LBM over 64 days ( 8 cycles of 8 days)

Results:
Cycle 1 of 8:

Weight:
140 lbs

Waist Circumference
30.62"

waist Skinfold:
14mm

Body fat according to
Tanita:
13%

Jackson-Pollock method:
7.7%

waist circumference method 1:
12.28%

waist circumference method 2:
13.3%

spanky33
07-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Ok so I did day one of my new plan.
Holy **** depletion workouts are hard even when you're eating relatively high cals. Anyway, my gym has 18 machines and I basically did a circuit through them. Legs I did twice. So ultimately, I did about 60 sets total. It took about an hour and 15 mins. I'm beat now. I gotta do it again tomorrow.
Cals were 2200, carbs were roughly 100 grams plus veggies.

spanky33
07-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Day 2 of 63 of weirdass UD2 variant.
went out last night with my buddies so I couldn't update.
Ok so yesterday was day 2. I did my depletion work out, and basically by the end, I couldn't get a pump. Then I played floorball for two hours. I needed a nice dose of EC stack to get me through it. Diet was alright, a few too many carbs but whatever.

mickyjune26
07-17-2005, 11:36 AM
what is an EC stack?

You're right - Cheat days on cutting can really mess with your metabolism. How about a cheat meal at the end of the day instead? That way your metabolism is already running high and can more effectively handle it.

spanky33
07-17-2005, 12:12 PM
EC stack is a mixture of ephedrine and caffeine. It gave me the boost to get through the floorball game while in low carbs.

spanky33
07-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Day 3 of 63

Ok so today was day 3. I felt like crap all day. I thought I would be fine during the 'diet' days because the calories are so close to maintenance. I'm one of those 'responds well to carbs' people. I can't do low carb, regardless of calorie level.
But I plowed through today. It was tough. I went out for my regular jog (40 mins), but I was so fatigued 2 minutes in. So I just walked the entire path instead of jogging. It took like an hour and a half. Whatever, distance is distance.

But the good news is, tomorrow I get to carbload. Sort of. It's not like I get to do a huge carbload because I dont think 3 days of low carb depleted me enough. I'm not sure how many grams of carbs to eat, so I think I'll just aim for 10 g/kg LBM. I have no idea if that's the right amount. In total, I think my cals will be roughly 3200 tomorrow. Not very high, but I dont think I should go higher.
I have a feeling I'll be hungry all day tomorrow though. 3200 just doesn't seem like enough. Ah well.

Anyway, diet today was pretty good. Much lower in the carb category (although I had a ton of veggies, but no real sources of carbs other than that). Fats were high, protein was high. Cals were around 2k.

Ok so the plan is as follows: Sleep, wake up, have a little carb breakfast, then go do a quick workout, then carbload. Maybe I'll do 10 mins of weights, and some sprints. Or some high intensity cycling. And then run up 16 flights of stairs. Muhahah.

Ok wish me luck

mickyjune26
07-17-2005, 09:38 PM
It seems that your diet varies from day to day. How do you think your metabolism reacts to that?

I found that if I use brown rice, oats, and whole wheat for my carbs, I'm not hungry.

Good luck!

spanky33
07-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Ok so i totally blew the carbload. fortunately, fat grams was most likely less than 60 grams. cals were...i dont even know, a lot. 5-6000 cals. Anyway, i read all this **** on de novo lipogenesis, and it seems that one day wont really do anything. whatever, we'll see when i measure in on friday. i did a quick 30 minute work out this morn. really quick full-body, 3 minute intense biking, then some sprints. then i ran up 16 flights of stairs, twice. then the carbup began.
anyway, tomorrow i'll move back down to maintenance cals, with either upper body or lower body power work out. whichever i do, i'll do the other in two days.

spanky33
07-20-2005, 09:36 PM
OK so today was lower body day. Work out felt good. Kind of quick, about 45 mins. My ankle is still bugging me so i took it a bit easy again.

Squats:
135 * 10 (1 set warm up)
185 * 8 (3 sets)

SLDL:
230 * 8 (3 sets)

Deads:
230 * 8 (3 sets)

Calf raises:
175 * 8
215 * 8
255 * 7

Leg extensions:
215 * 6 (2 sets)
165 * 7 (1 set)

Leg Press:
350 * 15
370 * 10

I also did some circuit training on some other machines, like abs, lower back, and other leg machines.

Tomorrow is off/cardio day.

I forgot to post my upper body routine yesterday, but nothing interesting to report.

mickyjune26
07-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Great leg workout. You have some good potential with your legs!

spanky33
07-22-2005, 05:21 AM
Ok so I forgot to post yesterday, but it was only cardio day. Nothing exciting. So today is Friday so it's weigh in day. The lowest number in each category shows the most recent measure. Each number in each category shows the measure for a week. I dont know if that makes any sense at all...

Results:
Cycle 2 of 8:

Weight:
140 lbs

Waist Circumference
30.62"

waist Skinfold:
14mm
15mm

Body fat according to
Tanita:
13%
15%

Jackson-Pollock method:
7.7%
8.8%

12.28%
13.95%

13.3%
14.7%

Average change in body fat % through 4 methods = 1.55%
Therefore, change in fat mass is approximately 2.2 lbs.
Change in LBM is approximately 1.8 lbs.

The measures pretty consistently show a change of about 1.5% body fat. That sucks but what can you do. My bicep measure has increased by half an inch, and so has my forearm. Nice. My quads are calves are relatively the same size, but they were already pretty big so maybe that's why they haven't changed.

Tonight is upper body. Will post after work out.

spanky33
07-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Ok so today was upper body. Work out was relatively good. I kept running into people I know so the session took much longer than it should have. Around 2 hours.

Workout:

Incline DB bench: 90 * 8 (3 sets)

Chins: BW * 6 (3 sets)

DB bench: 100 * 8 (3 sets)

BB Rows: 150 * 8 (2 sets) (**** that sucked)
190 * 6 (1 set)

Lateral raises: 15 * 8 (1 set)

DB curls: 20 * 10 ( 2 sets)

Military Press: 70 * 8 (3 sets)

Dips: BW * 10 (3 sets)

Machine circuit training for about 30 mins.
Cardio: ran on treadmill @ 7mph for 25 mins.

spanky33
07-26-2005, 07:31 AM
Ok so I haven't posted in a few days. This weekend was pretty much all cardio. I ate like mad but I ran like mad too. Other than that, nothing much to report.

Yesterday was lower body day. I actually didn't have a chance to eat before lifting. My last meal was something like 3 hours before I went to the gym, but I was still hungry when I got there. Had nothing on me, so I couldn't get any food. Sucked cuz I wanted to hopefully set personal bests in different lifts, including maxing out on the leg press. Ah well, next time.

Workout:

Squats:
155 * 10 (1 set)
185 * 8 (3 sets)
195 * 6 (1 set)

SLDL:
155 * 8 (3 sets)

Deads:
135 * 8 (3 sets)

Calf raises: (all verrrry slow)
155 * 8 (1 set)
195 * 8 (3 sets)

Leg press:
330 * 10 (2 sets)

Then I did a bunch of circuit training on the machines for about 20 mins. After that, I did about 30 mins (very low intensity) on the elliptical. After that, I could barely walk.

Today is upper body day. Will report later.

mickyjune26
07-27-2005, 07:56 AM
2 hour workout! Wow, that's a lot of friends in the gym. :)

Great SLDLs! You have a lot of volume on your leg day!

spanky33
07-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Yea man, but those long workouts where you keep running into ppl you know suck. I start to stiffen up and get tired. I find that optimal work out length is about 1 hour and 15 mins. After that, fatigue really sets in.

spanky33
07-27-2005, 09:54 AM
ok so yesterday was upper day. man, what a workout. it was great.

Workout:

Incline DB bench: 100 * 8 (3 sets)

Chins: BW * 6 (4 sets)

DB bench: 100 * 8 (3 sets)

BB Rows: 170 * 8 (4 sets) (felt much better than last time)

Lateral raises: 20 * 8 (3 sets)
15 * 8 ( 2 sets)

DB curls: 25 * 8 ( 2 sets)

Military Press: 80 * 8 (3 sets)

Dips: BW * 8 (3 sets)

Pull Down: 120 * 8 (2 sets)

Then I did some circuit training on the machines for about 15-20 mins.

General Comments:
I'm still damn sore from the leg workout the other day. I'm hoping the DOMS will go away in time for my workout tomorrow night. I also can't really do cardio, I walk around like a penguin.

spanky33
07-28-2005, 08:37 AM
ok so yesterday was cardio day. i was STILL sore as a mother ****er in the legs. wow. talk about extended doms. but i soldiered through cardio.
Tonight is lower body night again.

I kind of cheated and did some quick measurements (i'm supposed to hold off any measurements till Friday of every week). I've actually added 3/4 of an inch to my biceps, and an inch to my quads. I didn't do any other measurements, but I'm very happy with these results.

mickyjune26
07-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Way to go! Hey, do you have any specific goals in mind? What #'s are you trying to hit?

spanky33
07-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Hey thanks a lot micky. Well my goals generally change from day to day really. But right now the main focus is to get bigger. Once university starts mid-sept, I'll re-evaluate and maybe cut. The thing is, I was around 135 when I started, and I figured by the time I hit 145 I'll be fat again. So the original plan was slow bulk to 145, then cut a few lbs, then bulk to 150, then cut, etc....But I'm 150 now, but not as fat as I thought I'd be. And I've been pigging out on junk food too. It doesn't make sense to me. When I was in highschool and first year university, I was 185 lbs and a fat ass. Even at 160 I was a fat ass. At 150 I was borderline fat. Now at 150 I have a big gut, but it's because there's so much food in there. But everywhere else is so lean. So that's why I'm just gonna get as big as I can b4 I'm too fat to go on, then I"ll re-evaluate. I'm thinking I'll start to cut at 160 lbs.

But thanks for the post dude.

spanky33
07-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Results:
Cycle 3 of 8:

Weight:
140 lbs

Waist Circumference
30.6"

waist Skinfold:
14mm
15mm
19mm

Body fat according to
Tanita:
13%
15%
16%

Jackson-Pollock method:
7.7%
8.8%
10.5%

12.28%
13.95%
14.5%

13.3%
14.7%
15.5%

Average change in body fat % through 4 methods (this week) = 1%

The following uses the J-P 3 site method for this week:
Change is fat % = 1.7%
Change in fat mass = 3.02 Lbs
Change in LBM = 2.48 Lbs

The following use the J-P 3 site method results:
Change in body fat % since start: 2.8%
Therefore, total change in fat mass is approximately 4.92 Lbs

Total LBM added since start: 4.58 Lbs

spanky33
07-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Ok so yesterday was lower body day. I still had DOMS from monday. But I went through with my work out.

I didn't jot down what I did exactly, but I did the following exercises:
DL (struggled, i really dont like these because I'm weak and they kill me.)
SLDL (love these)
Squats (hit 195 again. I know i'll break the 200 barrier next week for sure)
Standing Calf
Leg press
Machines (circuit style)
elliptical for 25 mins.

spanky33
07-29-2005, 09:43 PM
OK so today was upper body day. I took my friend with me to the gym. Workout took much longer than usual, but I guess that's what happens when you're showing someone around.

The workout:

BB bench:
155 * 8 (1 set)
135 * 8 (3 sets)

DB bench:
55 * 8 (3 sets)

Incline DB bench:
45 * 8 (3 sets)

DB Military Press:
40 * 8 ( 2 sets)
40 * 7 (failed on 8th)

BW chins * 6 (4 sets)

BB rows:
85 * 8 (2 sets)
95 * 8 (2 sets)

Overhead Pulldown:
90 * 8 (1set)
120 * 8 (2 sets)
130 * 6 (1 set)

Lat raises:
20 * 8 (2 sets)
15 * 8 (2 sets)

DB curls:
25 * 8 (2 sets)

Bent over lat raises (is that what they're called??):
20 * 8
15 * 8

BW dips:
8 reps, 3 sets.

Then I did some circuit training on the machines for 15 mins.
Elliptical for 25 mins.
After that I was DONE. Went home and cleaned the fridge out :)

spanky33
08-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Ok so I didn't post this weekend. Mostly cardio, nothing to report.
Today was upper body day. however, I biked down to the gym from my house, and it took 1.5 hours!. I was so tired when I got to the gym. I ate some mickyd's and went into the gym already sweaty and tired lol. Stupid move but whatever.

Ok so workout was:

DB flat bench:
55 * 8 (3 sets)

BW chin ups:
7, 7, 6, 6

DB Military Press:
40 * 8 (3 sets)

Pull downs: ( was REALLY feeling tired by this time)
120 * 8 (2 sets)
100 * 6 (1set)
110 * 7 (1 set)

Incline BB bench:
135 * 4
135 * 3 (****)

Bent over rows:
95 * 8 (4 sets nice and slow)

Lateral raises:
20 * 8 (4sets)

Bent over lateral raises:
15 * 8 (2 sets)

DB curls:
25 * 9 (2 sets for each arm)

Hammer curls:
25 * 8 (1 set for each arm)

Dips:
BW * 8 (3 sets)

Then I did a bunch of circuit training for like 10 mins. I was totally pooped after that.

Tomorrow is lower body day. I think I'll switch up my routine a bit. Only one day of lower body a week (but squats on two days). So it'll be something like:

Monday: Upper
Tues: Lower
Wed: off/cardio
Thurs: Chest/shoulders/tris (with 3 sets of squats)
Friday: Back bi's.
sat,sun: off/cardio.

I'll see how that works.

mickyjune26
08-02-2005, 12:52 PM
I look forward to your squat #'s. It looks like you and I are at the same stage. Let me know how many sets/reps you do of squats.

spanky33
08-03-2005, 08:31 AM
So last night was legs night. Dam how i love legs night. Let's get right to it then:

Workout:
Warm ups: I did a bunch of fooling around with really light weights for about 20 minutes while someone finished up on the squat rack. I did maybe 3 sets of squats with just a bar, and some SLDLs (3 sets), and some deads. Then I moved on to real squats.

Squats:
135 * 10 (1 set)
175 * 8 (1 set)
195 * 8 (2 sets)
205*8 (2 sets)

SLDL:
115 * 9 (1 set)
135 * 8 (2 sets)
165 * 8 (2 sets)

Deads: (i've decided to keep these light from now on, they really put a strain on me)
115 * 8 (3 sets)

Standing calf: (all done veeeery slow with 2 second pause at top and bottom each)
175 * 8 (1 set)
195 * 8 (1 set)
225 * 8 (2 sets)

Leg press:
370 * 0 (failed)
350 * 10 (2 sets)

Then I did a bunch of circuit training (leg extensions, hips, abs...) for about 30 mins.

Elliptical * 25 mins.

So i'm still not sure if i should split thursday and friday into: upper/lower or back bi's/chest tris. We'll see.

Today is cardio day so i wont report.

spanky33
08-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Ok so it's friday, time to weigh in...
Results:
Cycle 4 of 8:

Weight:
140 lbs

Waist Circumference
30.6"
31.75"

waist Skinfold:
14mm
15mm
19mm
19mm

Body fat according to
Tanita:
13%
15%
16%
17%

Jackson-Pollock method:
7.7%
8.8%
10.5%
10.4%

12.28%
13.95%
14.5%
14.3%

13.3%
14.7%
15.5%
15.2%

Average change in body fat % through 4 methods (this week) = +0.1%

Change is fat % = -0.1%
Change in fat mass = -0.3 lbs
Change in LBM = -1.2 lbs

Change in body fat % since start: +2.7%
Therefore, total change in fat mass is approximately 4.6 Lbs

Total LBM added since start: +3.4 lbs

General comments:
ok so my weight actually went down this week. but i know it's because last week, the night b4 weigh in, i ate a tub of ice cream at like midnight. no good. anyway, i look better in the mirror, so i know i'm putting on LBM (despite the numbers). I'm sure LBM gain was negative this week because i lost some water weight.
Now, I have two weeks until I have to write the MCAT. That gives me two busy weeks of studying, so it also gives me a good chance to cut. I wont be distracted by food or whatever. I can eat sub-maintenance, and go to the gym and get two full body workouts in during the week. However, I'm not sure if this is a smart thing to do. I have put on a bit of fat, and I hate it, but then i still look lean with my clothes on (without clothes I have a big bloated belly now). Anyway, I'd hate to cut into my newbie gains. So i dont know what to do.
Anyone with advice?
Thanks

spanky33
08-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Ok so yesterday was upper body day. It definitely kicked ass. I set several PR's. The gym was relatively empty, I like it like that.

Workout:
DB flat bench:
90 * 8 (1 set)
120 * 8 (3 sets)!! (i only did this cuz the 55's were being used, but i'm happy)

Chins:
BW * 7, 7, 6, 6

Incline DB bench:
55 * 8 (1 set)
55 * 6 (1set)
50 * 8 (1 set)

Lateral pulldown (wide grip):
120 * 8 (2 sets)
(close grip):
120 * 8 (2sets)

military press:
80 * 8 (2 sets)
80 * 7 (1 set) (my tri's were toasted by this time)

BB standing rows:
85 * 8 (1 set)
95 * 8 (4 sets)

Lateral raises:
20 * 8 (3 sets)

Seated bent over lateral raises:
15 * 8 (2 sets)

DB curls:
25 * 9 (2 sets on each arm)

Hammer curls:
35 * 5 (1 set each arm)

( i think i'm forgetting something)

Then I did about 10 mins of machine circuit training.
Then, elliptical for 25 mins.

That's about it. Legs tonight.

Ignoramus
08-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Hey toronto buddy! Anyway we have pretty similar body types, did you find the sweet spot on your bulking cals? Im slowly starting a bulk, by slow I mean adding more cals each week if Im not gaining. It seems to be working alright so far. Im also a former fatty and kinda afriad of fat gain. Nice leg days btw.

spanky33
08-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Ok so today was lower body day.

Workout:
Squats:
135 * 10
195 * 10
205 * 10
215 * 10 ( 3 sets)

SLDL:
warm ups
155 * 8 (3 sets)

DL's:
115 * 8 (3sets)

Standing calf:
195 * 10
205 * 10
235 * 10

Leg press:
350 * 17

Machine circuit training.
25 mins on elliptical.

time to go feast.

spanky33
08-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Ok so yesterday was upper body day. weekend was cardio so nothing to report.

Workout:
DB flat bench:
120 * 8 (2 sets)
120 * 6 (1 set)

BB flat bench:
160 * 2

Chins:
BW * 7,7,6,6

Incline BB bench:
110 * 8 (2 sets)

Incline DB bench:
110 * 6 (1 set)

Wide grip pulldown:
120 * 10 (2sets)
Close grip:
120 * 8 (2 sets)

Military press DB:
90 * 8 (2 sets)
90 * 6 (1 set)

Bent over rows BB:
105 * 8 (4 sets)

Lateral raises:
20 * 8 (2 sets)
15 * 8 (1 set)

DB curls:
25 * 10 (2 sets)

Seated bent over lateral raises:
15 * 8 (2sets)

Hammer curls:
30 * 12 (6 for each arm)

Some machine circuit training (10 mins)
Treadmill * 15 mins

Tonight is legs.

spanky33
08-09-2005, 09:06 PM
ok so today was lower body day. for some reason, my strength sucked.

workout:

squats:
135 * 8 (1 set)
195 * 8 (2 sets)
215 * 8 (3 sets)
135 * 8 (1 set)

SLDL:
155 * 6 (1 set)
125 * 10 (3 sets)

DL:
125 * 8 (3 sets)

Calf raises:
195 * 8 (slooow)
235 * 8 (sloooow)
255 (slooow and painful)

Leg press:
330 * 16 (booo)

Some machines
elliptical * 25 mins.

Cardio days tomorrow

mickyjune26
08-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Don't you love feasting after a good workout? The body gets soooo hungry when we eat up all the energy!

Don't worry about your low energy. You can reach your goals. Why do you think you weren't as strong? Not enough sleep? Not eating right?

spanky33
08-10-2005, 05:11 PM
don't know man. it just wasn't there i guess. i'm eating and sleeping fine. i think twice a week of lower body might be a bit too much tho.

spanky33
08-11-2005, 07:57 PM
ok so today's workout sucked. i tried mixing it up so that i do bench and squats tomorrow, and all the 'pull' exercises today. it sucked. i wont even bother putting up the numbers.

mickyjune26
08-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Good luck. I'm sure your numbers will improve. Keep at it! :)

spanky33
08-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Ok so it was time to weigh in today. I've leaned out a bit. Surprising considering how much I eat. But i'll take it.

Results:
Cycle 5 of 8:

Weight:
140 lbs

Waist Circumference
30.62"
31.9-32

waist Skinfold:
14mm
15mm
19mm
19mm
19.66mm (avg)

Body fat according to
Tanita:
13%
15%
16%
17%
16%

Jackson-Pollock method:
7.7%
8.8%

12.3%
14.5%
14.3%

13.3%
14.7%
15.5%
15.2%
14.3%

Change is fat % = +0.1%
Change in fat mass = +0.25 lbs
Change in LBM = +0.75 lbs

Change in body fat % since start: +2.8%
Therefore, total change in fat mass is approximately 4.9 Lbs

Total LBM added since start: +4.1 lbs

Things are going well. I hope to lean out some more before I gain more weight. But I should point out that I'm disregarding my diet and just eating on hunger. So we'll see how it goes.

PizDoff
08-12-2005, 09:37 PM
1. You didn't invite me for your birthday. (How am I supposed to know when it is!?!)
2. You didn't even tell me you started a journal.
3. You haven't invited me to lift with you again!
4. You didn't even give me props for everything.

Ass.
First three rounds are on you next time.

spanky33
08-12-2005, 09:43 PM
1. din't celebrate bday.
2. my bad
3. you should always come. i need a partner
4. cuz i'm jealous

spanky33
08-13-2005, 08:14 PM
ok so yesterday was lower body day, and i have bad news. while squatting, i felt something tear in my upper right thigh. i think i'll have to take a week off from legs and see how it feels after next week. anyway, the workout went as follows:

Squats:
135 * 10 (1 set)
195 * 8 (1 set)
215 * 9 (2 sets) (felt pain here)
135 *10 (super ass to grass to loosen up my leg) (1 set)

Flat DB bench:
90 * 8 (1)
120 * 8 (2)
120 * 6 (1)

Some light SLDLs, but thigh wouldn't let me do more

Incline DB bench:
110 * 8 (3)

Standing calf: (slow with pause at top and bottom)
195 * 8 (1)
235 * 8
255 * 8

Flat BB bench:
105 * 20

Incline BB bench:
85 * 18

Leg Press:
390 * 8
(this did it for my legs)

elliptical * 25 mins

Anyway, i have to take (at least) a week off for my legs, although that sucks. I might do some super light exercises. I couldn't even do HIIT today.

Rest is probably best though.

Next week I'll do upper body every other day. I'll somehow split it up to keep volume low.

mickyjune26
08-15-2005, 07:37 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your thigh tear. Was it your hip flexors? I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself more than you possible have already done.

spanky33
08-15-2005, 03:16 PM
no idea buddy. but i know it's not serious. i did some HIIT yesterday, and it wasn't so bad. The first 5 or 6 sprints were sore, but then it loosened up. I'm sure i'll be fine if i lay off the squats for a week.

spanky33
08-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Alright so today I was trying out my new routine. Keeping off the legs for about a week (with the exception of jogging/HIIT).
Also, my diet has been really good lately, but I kind of slipped up today. Not tooo bad. But a bit more than I needed.
New workout plan: Keep it short, hit it hard, and follow it with some elliptical stuff. I was overtraining before.

Workout:
DB flat bench:
70 * 16 (1set)
120 * 8 (3 sets)

BB row:
105 * 8 (5 sets)

Military Press (DB):
90 * 8 (1 set)
90 * 6 (2 sets)
90 * 4 (1 set)

Pulldowns:
120 * 8 (4 sets)

Tricep extensions:
90 * 10 (2 sets)

BB bicep curls (standing):
55 * 8 (2 sets)

Some circuit training
25 mins of elliptical
15 mins of stretching
and out of gym.

spanky33
08-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Alright so today was probably one of the best upper body workouts i've had in a long while.

Workout:
Incline DB bench:
120 * 5
120 * 5 (help on 5th)
110 * 7
110 * 5

Chins:
BW * 10 7, 8, 7, 6, 5

Lateral raises:
Side:
(20 * 2) * 8 (4 sets)
Front
(20 * 2) * 8 (2sets)

Machine Rows:
140 * 8
110 * 13 (2 sets)

Tri extensions:
90 * 8 (2 sets)
70 * 5 (1 set)

DB bicep curls:
30 * 8 (2 sets for each arm)

Leg raises:
i dont know how many.

Some machines (chest machine, pullovers, etc...)
elliptical * 24 mins.

That's about it. I'm sore as hell.

spanky33
08-19-2005, 06:41 AM
ok so it's friday. time to weigh in.

Results:
Week 6 of 8:

Weight:
140 lbs

Waist Circumference
30.62"
31.9-32

waist Skinfold:
14mm
15mm
19mm
19mm
19.66mm (avg)
19.66 (avg)

Body fat according to
Tanita:
13%
15%
16%
17%
16%
17%

Jackson-Pollock method:
7.7%
8.8%

12.3%
14.5%
14.3%
13.2%
12.4%

13.3%
14.7%
15.5%
15.2%
14.3%
13.7%

Change is fat % = +0.1%
Change in fat mass = -0.06 lbs
Change in LBM = -1.94 lbs

Change in body fat % since start: +2.9%
Therefore, total change in fat mass is approximately 4.8 Lbs

Total LBM added since start: +2.2 lbs

Comments:
These numbers suck, but very unlikely. I slept early last night on an empty stomach after cardio because I was so tired. I'm sure some (if not all) of the LBM loss is water/glycogen.

I'm liking the waist reading. Wanna be 30".

spanky33
08-20-2005, 03:48 AM
Ok so yesterday was an alright workout. I was pretty tired so I skipped on the cardio. Tired cuz i've been studying for the MCAT, which is today. It starts in about 3 hours

Workout:
Flat BB bench:
35 * 15 (1set)
125 * 8 (3 sets)
105*10 (1set)

Pulldown:
130 * 8 (3 sets)

BB shoulder pull ups(?):
65 * 8 (2 sets)
75 * 8 (1set)

DB row:
55 * 8 (2 sets each arm)
45 * 8 (1 set)

Hammer curls:
40 * 6 (1 set)
35 * 8
35 * 7

Dips:
BW * 8 (3sets)

I fooled around with some other exercises to see if i like them, like skull crushers, etc...

I also did some very light squats to see how my legs feel. Seems like my thigh has healed up fine. I'll be doing them again next week.

Alright, off to write my big test

spanky33
08-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Ok so today's workout wasn't bad. Felt good. Got a good workout for the biceps I guess, cuz they're sorer than ever before. Forearms too.

DB Flat bench:
70 * 16 (1 set)
120 * 8 (3 sets)

BB rows:
115 * 8 (5 sets)

DB military press:
90 * 8 (3 sets)

Pulldown
130 * 8 (4 sets)

Deads (kept it light, thigh still sore):
115 * 8 (3 sets)

Tricep extension:
100 * 8
90 * 8 (2 sets)

BB curls:
65 * 8
65 * 7
55 * 6

Some machines,
some elliptical.
and out.

General comments:
ate way too much crap today. fukit hopefully it wont hurt me too bad.

spanky33
08-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Ok so today's workout felt ok. I did a few light squats (ass to grass) to see how the thigh's doing. It felt a bit painful still, but I'm losing size on my legs so I want to get back to normal ASAP.

Workout:
Incline DB bench:
70 * 16 (1 set)
110 * 8 (2 sets)
120 * 6 (1 set)

Standing BB rows:
65 * 8 (1 set) (felt a slight sprain in the right shoulder)
45 * 15 (2 sets)

Chins:
BW * 10, 8, 7, 6 (forgot to do that last two sets, I was going to go back to it)

Machine rows:
110 * 15
110 * 13
110 * 12

tricep extension:
20 * 8 (2 sets for each arm)

DB curls:
30 * 10 (1 set each arm)
30 * 9 (1 set each arm)

Squats:
135 * 8 (3 sets) (very slow, ass to grass)

Machines
Basketball
out

mickyjune26
08-25-2005, 09:51 PM
It's great that you are still doing your squats, even though at light weight. You'll heal if you give it time. The hardest thing to do is to let your body heal when it needs it most. If you do this, you will finish a stronger person.

spanky33
08-26-2005, 12:53 AM
thanks for the positive advice micky.

ok so today was another day at the gym. just wanna start off by saying that my diet has been awful this week. i dont think i'll even weigh in tomorrow because of my huge meals tonight. yes, mealS. water retention, being what it is, will screw with my weigh in tomorrow. i'll do it saturday instead probably.

anyway

Workout:
BB flat bench:
35 * 15
125 * 8 (3 sets)
145 * 4

Pulldowns:
130 * 11
120 * 12 (3 sets)

lateral raises:
15 * 12 (3 sets)
20 * 8 (3 sets)

DB rows:
50 * 8 (3 sets for each arm)

Hammer curls:
35 * 8 (each arm) (2 sets)
30 * 6 ( each arm)

Dips:
BW * 10 (3 sets)

Machines
Elliptical
out

spanky33
08-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Ok I weighed in today very quickly, but I wont really analyze it because it's going to be skewed. I'll just wait till next week to see where I really stand.

Results:
Week 7 of 8:

Weight:
140 lbs

Waist Circumference
30.62"
31.9-32

waist Skinfold:
14mm
15mm
19mm
19mm
19.66mm (avg)
19.66 (avg)

Body fat according to
Tanita:
13%
15%
16%
17%
16%
17%
17%

Jackson-Pollock method:
7.7%
8.8%

Change is fat % = +0%
Change in fat mass = +0.424 lbs
Change in LBM = +3.58 lbs (water)

Change in body fat % since start: +2.9%
Therefore, total change in fat mass is approximately 5.23 Lbs

Total LBM added since start: +5.77 lbs

spanky33
08-27-2005, 04:25 PM
So today's workout felt gooood. all this extra eating (even though it's dirty) is giving me more strength in the gym.

Workout:
DB flat bench:
70 * 15
130* 8 (3 sets)

Chins:
BW * 10, 8, 8, 9

DB Military Press:
80 * 12
90 * 8
90 * 5
80 * 6

Squats (upper thigh still sore, so did light weight ass-to-grass):
125 * 8
145 * 8 (2 sets)

BB bent over rows:
105 * 8
95 * 8 (4 sets)
(I dropped the weight a bit, but my form is better; hence, I feel it more in the back)

Tri extensions:
90 * 10
90 * 8 (2 sets)

BB curls:
65 * 8 (3 sets) (this was super hard but i pulled it off, with a little bad form)

Some machines
Skip rope * 25 mins
out

spanky33
08-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Workout:
Incline DB bench:
70 * 15
120 * 4
100 * 10
110 * 8 (2 sets)

Machine low row:
140 * 12 (3 sets)

Standing BB rows:
65 * 8 (3 sets)
65 * 5

Pulldown:
140 * 10 (4 sets)

Deads:
115 * 10 (3 sets)

Tricep extensions:
20 * 10 (2 sets each arm)
90 * 10 (on machine)

DB curls:
30 * 10
30 * 9

Elliptical
jumped rope
out

mickyjune26
08-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Spanky,
I can tell you focus on form instead of cheating to get higher weights. I can learn from you. Keep it up!

spanky33
09-01-2005, 09:32 AM
yea micky i like to get form down before i move to heavier weights.

Workout:
flat bench:
35 * 15
135 * 8 (2 sets)
145 * 7
145 * 3

Chins:
BW * 10, 10, 9 , 9 ( i want to do 4 sets of 10's before i do more than 10 reps on any given set)

Lateral raises:
20 * 10 (4 sets)

SLDL:
115 * 12
115 * 11
115 * 10

DB rows:
55 * 8 (3 sets for each arm)

Hammer curls:
30 * 8 (2 sets each arm)

Dips:
BW * 10 (3 sets)

Machines
Elliptical * 25 mins
out

spanky33
09-02-2005, 04:55 PM
today's workout:

db bench:
70 * 15
130 * 8 (3 sets)

BB rows:
95 * 8 (4 sets)
105 * 8

DB Shoulder Press:
90 * 8 (2 sets)
100 * 8 (1 set)

Squats:
165 * 8 (2 sets)
225 * 7
135 * 10

Pulldowns:
150 * 10
150 * 8
140 * 8 (2 sets)

Tri extensions:
90 * 10
100 * 10
100 * 10

BB curls:
65 * 8 (3 sets)

Machines
skip rope * 30 mins
out

will post weekly numbers later

spanky33
09-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Results:
Week 8

Weight:
140 lbs

Waist Circumference
30.62"
31.9-32

waist Skinfold:
14mm
15mm
19mm
19mm
19.66mm (avg)
19.66 (avg)

Body fat according to
Tanita:
13%
15%
16%
17%
16%
17%
17%
16%

Jackson-Pollock method:
7.7%
8.8%

Change is fat % = -0.3%
Change in fat mass = -0.865 lbs
Change in LBM = -3.135 lbs

Change in body fat % since start: +2.6%
Therefore, total change in fat mass is approximately 4.36 Lbs

Comments:
well, these numbers are terrible. I dont know what to say. The mirror tells a different story. I'm much bigger, but approaching the same leanness I had before I started bulking. Furthermore, several people have mentioned that I look bigger in the chest and shoulders. One girl said 'holy **** dude' when she saw my quads. Dont know why the numbers suck so much. Oh well, gotta keep going.

spanky33
09-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Ok so I hit the gym today. This weekend's eating wasn't good. but what can you do.

Workout:

Incline DB bench:
70 * 15
110 * 8
120 * 8 (2 sets)

Chins:
BW * 10, 10, 8, 8, 4

Standing rows:
65 * 8 (3 sets)

Machine low rows:
140 * 12 (2 sets)
140 * 10

Deads:
115 * 12 (3 sets)

Tri ext:
100 * 10
90 * 8
80 * 8

DB curls:
30 * 8 (2 sets each arm)

Machines
Bball
Skipping
out

spanky33
09-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Ow. I'm so sore today after my workout. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but my forearms are sore as ****.

Workout:
DB flat bench:
70 * 15
130 * 8 (3 sets) (i'm going to try for 140 next week)

Pulldowns:
140 * 10 (3 sets)
150 * 10

Lateral raises:
20 * 10 (4 sets)

DB rows:
55 * 8 (3 sets)

SLDL:
115 * 12 (3 sets)

Hammers:
30 * 9
30 * 8
25 * 10

Tri ext:
100 * 10 (3 sets)

Machines
Skipping
out

I'm so dam sore

spanky33
09-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Results:
Week 9

Weight:
140 lbs

Waist Circumference
30.62"
31.9-32

waist Skinfold:
14mm
15mm
19mm
19mm
19.66mm (avg)
19.66 (avg)

Body fat according to
Tanita:
13%
15%
16%
17%
16%
17%
17%
16%
17%

Jackson-Pollock method:
7.7%
8.8%

Change is fat % = +0.4%
Change in fat mass = +0.91 lbs
Change in LBM = +2.1 lbs

Change in body fat % since start: +3%
Therefore, total change in fat mass is approximately 5.3 Lbs

Total LBM added since start: +4.7 lbs

Comments:
Ok so I've decided to watch my diet for about a month or so. Maybe till the end of October. I want to get rid of a bit of this fat I've put on. I hate cutting, but I have a bit of flab around the stomach, it bugs me. We'll see how it goes. I wont be too strict, but hopefully I'll lose about 5 lbs.

Routine will be the same, but i'm taking out a ton of the cardio I do normally. There's no way I'd be able to maintain that while cutting.

spanky33
09-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Dammit eating while cutting makes a damn huge difference. I was struggling the whole time.

Flat bench:
45 * 15
135 * 8
155 * 7
145 * 8
135 * 8

Chins:
BW * 10, 10, 9, 9

DB military press:
90 * 8 (3 sets)

BB BO rows:
95 * 10 (4 sets)