PDA

View Full Version : Splenda.. all its cracked up to be?

JoeW
07-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Well i went to the supermarket earlier and decided to try splender for the first time, i looked at the nutritional data on the jar and was pure gobsmacked to belive thats its only 0.5g carb and 2 cals per teaspoon, so like the sane person i was i brought a jar of it.. infact i brought 2 jars of the stuff!

So i got home and thought to myself "does this real taste like sugar?" the answer was yes: it bloody well does, but then i thought man.. this is amazing, how did they do it? every sugar brand is gonna get floored with this stuff!! but then i did some research on the net and came across a few websites.

http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/
http://www.mercola.com/2003/aug/23/splenda.htm
and some others around.

Is this biased? i think maybe it is, sugar brands and companies trying to put you off splenda so you go back to their sugar, but it does put you off splenda a bit, i just wish i knew if it was true or not :|

jack_of_all
07-08-2005, 09:26 PM
ive got no clue, but it wouldnt surprise me if yet another artificial sweetner turned out to be worse than sugar.

JoeW
07-08-2005, 09:31 PM
ive got no clue, but it wouldnt surprise me if yet another artificial sweetner turned out to be worse than sugar.

Whoah, you mean splenda wasnt the first? :o
Thats new.. tell me more

fixationdarknes
07-08-2005, 10:29 PM
All I know is that too much Splenda ain't good for you. All those chemicals. I'm no expert or anything but I know it's not good for you if you eat a lot of it.

GMCtrk
07-08-2005, 11:11 PM
splenda is one of the most researched foods ever, it has been researched for decades now before coming to the market.

BG5150
07-08-2005, 11:50 PM
splenda is one of the most researched foods ever, it has been researched for decades now before coming to the market.

and?...

Do you have some links to those researches? (bad grammar, I know)

Just because it "comes to market' doesn't mean it's good.

JoeW
07-09-2005, 02:10 AM
I hope its ok, i love a few teaspoons of it in my cottage cheese, tastes like meringue but maybe thats just me lol.

bradley
07-09-2005, 05:15 AM
and?...

Do you have some links to those researches? (bad grammar, I know)

Just because it "comes to market' doesn't mean it's good.

Here is one paper that I had handy, but if you search on pubmed for sucralose you will find a large amount of studies. As far as Dr. Mercola goes, I would take the information he puts out with a grain of salt.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10882825&dopt=Abstract

chris mason
07-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Here is one paper that I had handy, but if you search on pubmed for sucralose you will find a large amount of studies. As far as Dr. Mercola goes, I would take the information he puts out with a grain of salt.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10882825&dopt=Abstract

Or maybe a grain of sugar? :zipit: Lol, I couldn't help it!

(by the way Bradley, this is not meant to in any way degrade your post I just thought it was something funny to say)

Paul Stagg
07-09-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm not aware of any published study that shows any health danger to humans who use spenda.

I just read some links on a site dedicated to that spurlock guy's book and it's treasure trove of myths, partial truths, and outright false statements - I'll dig it up, there was some information there on sucralose.

the two websites listed above are laughable.

The first makes a number of claims, but none of them are based on any substantive facts. There are no references listed in their 'fact or fiction', for example. That site carries essentially the same credibility as someone who puts up a webpage that says 'Bodybuilding iz bad for u!!!111one'.

The second immediatly shows a big problem. The referenced studies were done on animals, and if you read the studies, you'll find the amount of sucralose administered was the equivalent of eating POUNDS of it every day for days on end, not a couple of packets in your coffee.

Shao-LiN
07-09-2005, 09:30 AM
All I know is that too much Splenda ain't good for you. All those chemicals. I'm no expert or anything but I know it's not good for you if you eat a lot of it.

How do you know this? What is in it that you think is harmful?

Beast
07-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Splenda is awesome.
I haven't read the studies about the side effects, but I do know that those that were published for Nutrasweet were only valid if a boatload was dumped on top of you.

Beholder
07-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Or enough of it that you would probably get diabetes just from looking at it :P

GMCtrk
07-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Splenda is chlorinated sugar...your body doesn't even absorb it...just passed right though

shansen008
07-10-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm not aware of any published study that shows any health danger to humans who use spenda.

I just read some links on a site dedicated to that spurlock guy's book and it's treasure trove of myths, partial truths, and outright false statements - I'll dig it up, there was some information there on sucralose.

the two websites listed above are laughable.

The first makes a number of claims, but none of them are based on any substantive facts. There are no references listed in their 'fact or fiction', for example. That site carries essentially the same credibility as someone who puts up a webpage that says 'Bodybuilding iz bad for u!!!111one'.

The second immediatly shows a big problem. The referenced studies were done on animals, and if you read the studies, you'll find the amount of sucralose administered was the equivalent of eating POUNDS of it every day for days on end, not a couple of packets in your coffee.

*end thread here*

APE.
07-10-2005, 12:27 AM
not a couple of packets in your coffee.

Thats about the only place I use it, is it just me are does it seem to get foamy sometimes an other times not?