PDA

View Full Version : >>Calling All Diet Gurus<<

booster1
07-08-2005, 11:36 PM
OK guys, here is the story. I'm 19, have been working for almost 3 years. Started out about 135lb, peaked at about 185-190lb with a bit high body fat. I have fast matabolis. I have been cutting with not a lot of cardio, and have gotten to low on the weight at about 170 with body fat of about 10.5% (too high for my taste, have been at 8% before). My question is how do I maintain this body fat while on a slow clean bulk. I've done the large bulk and clean cuts thing and want to try this one. I don't eat junk food at all, Mcdonalds, burger king, pizza almost never. My diet usually consists of beans, lots of yogurt, subway or quiznos, oats, clean cereal,rice, salads, fruit, and weight gainer for the extra protein and calories since I need about 3200 to maintain the 170 weight and 4000+ to put on anything significant. What I'm looking for is just a slow gain of muscle with as little fat as possible. I know its hard but I'm very discipline and always stick to any diet and with very little cheating.

Can someone explain or give me some details on how to do this slow and steady clean bulk and maintain the 10-11% bf? Do I do a lot or medium amount for cardio for this? I have little fat in my diet, do I keep it that way, or cut it out all together? what about carbs like bread and pasta, is that out?
Any sugar allowed? i currently take Muscle Juice (hihg in sugar, most cheap, but not the best in nutrition) for the extra cals, since I work a lot and this is my only way of keeping the little weight that I have.

Thanks guys for reading this big thing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

cosmicdebree88
07-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Well, I'm no diet expert... but I can tell you that fats should definitly not be eliminated. In fact I would say that ~25%-35% or your daily calories should come from healthy fats. Try to limit your intake of carbs like white bread, pasta, etc. and sugar to before and after you lift.

fixationdarknes
07-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Yes definitely don't cut out fats. At least 20% fat. And from healthy sources like peanuts, natty peanut butter, olive oil, safflower oil, fish/flaxseed oil.

And to put on some slow mass with as little fat as possible, add maybe around 300-500 calories to maintenance calories and keep it at that. Lift hard and rest a lot. I'm not an expert but I know the basics.

Built
07-09-2005, 12:38 AM
You've had some excellent advise here already - do NOT drop your fats down too low, for bulking OR for cutting - you need your healthy fats for proper endocrine function.

Increase your calories slowly, watch what happens to your bodyfat levels.

Here's a paradigm that I like to follow for bulking (and cutting, actually):
http://www.muscletech.com/NUTRITION/HIGH_PERFORMANCE_NUTRITION/ISSUE_1/index.shtml
http://www.muscletech.com/NUTRITION/HIGH_PERFORMANCE_NUTRITION/ISSUE_2/index.shtml

Manveet
07-12-2005, 01:31 PM
If you want to gain muscle mass without gaining too much fat, increase your calories very, very slowly.

That's all there is to it.

Nothing to do with ratios, eating a specific times of the day, eating certain foods while avoiding others, etc.

Alke
07-12-2005, 02:16 PM
:withstupi

count the calories and weigh yourself at the end of a week. gain as much or as little as you want each week by keeping track of the AMOUNT of what you eat.

the foods themselves arent very different from person to person, its the combination and amount of calories that are different for each individual = thats why there are so many different diets. trail and error bro.

depending how military you go on the diet, you can keep fat gains minumum while bulking but at 19 years old I would just count calories and dont sweat the small stuff yet. Plenty of time to break your diet into little bits and pieces a few years down the road.

if your good at counting calories, and eat a fair ratio of Proteins to carbs to fats, it will all come out in the wash at the end of each week when you weigh in to see if your calorie counting is paying off.

It is not easy, you will fluctuate each week till you get the hang of what foods to eat and what amount of calories give you the best results each week to keep weight gain (and weight loss) constant each week.

everyone is different as to what ratios they need due to high/slow metabolic rates so finding what works for you will take a fair bit of trial and error. its a process. and dont forget the other stuff:

sleep.

and multi vits.

and whey.

and if you aint feeling the workout, take the day off = your body is trying to tell you to take a break.

good luck!