PDA

View Full Version : Question about body composition

Propagandhim
07-09-2005, 04:09 PM
-

Built
07-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Weight training while employing a mild caloric deficit is prudent for anyone wishing to drop bodyfat while retaining muscle, correct.

Not sure about the rest of what you're saying.

Welcome to the board. :)

Propagandhim
07-09-2005, 04:31 PM
-

Adam
07-09-2005, 06:02 PM
You are right in your assumption, the more bf% you have the easier it is to lose fat. This is because the body knows that it has plenty of fat left(therefor plenty of energy resereves) so it would not mind losing some fat when in a calorie deficite.

Personally, I found that since I've goten my bf% level pretty low its quite easy to maintain the low BF(~12%). I find that i can eat way more calories now than when i was flubbier.

bradley
07-10-2005, 06:53 AM
If you have a relatively high amount of body fat (18-20%) on a small frame(not alot of muscle) would it be right to assume you are able to more easilly lose the fat rather than muscle if you were to eat on a caloric deficit because of the high amount of body fat? Also, is rebuilding muscle lost through dieting faster than building new muscle? If so, then weight training on a caloric deficit would ensure that you don't lose muscle when you are dieting, correct?

Thanks in advance. : )

Theoretically your body has a bf setpoint which it will try and maintain, so if you are above that setpoint then you should be able to drop the weight without much effort (slight calorie deficit). Once you attempt to drop below that setpoint you will find that your fat loss stalls somewhat, at which point you should take a week or two off from dieting or incoporate refeeds into your diet. If you are new to lifting it is likely that you will see increases in LBM and decreases in bf. Most individuals will not have any trouble getting into the 15% bf range.

You should be able to regain muscle lost through dieting, but you can do some searches on muscle memory and see what kind of information you come up with.

Strength training will help in minimizing LBM losses when dieting, and also remember to create a slight calorie deficit. You don't want to try and drop bf too fast, since this will increase the possibility that you are decreasing LBM as well as bf.

Dedicated
07-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Also, is rebuilding muscle lost through dieting faster than building new muscle?
From personal experience I have to say yes. This is after being on a cut for 2 months, losing strength, then raising cals by about 500-700 per day. In another 2 months all my strength and more had returned. I also gained a little fat back though, so it's probably not the best way to do things. So after you are done cutting, if you do lose muscle and you want to increase cals to get some of it back, do it slowly and keep lifting as heavy as you possibly can.

The key to being successful with dieting is to stay consistent. Like if your calories are supposed to be 2000, keep them at 2000 no matter what. Goodluck.