PDA

View Full Version : New member seeks advice

WildJames
07-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi all my name is James, I happened upon this forum through Google and after reading through numerous threads, I was convinced that the majority of people here are very friendly and helpful, even with new users. Anyway here's my story/questions.

I currently am 6'3", 313 pounds. I am athletic and quite agile for someone my size. I dropped from 360 to 308 last fall on Weight Watchers, and as pleased as I was, I don't think it was the best way to lose the weight, as it dropped too quickly and I am now more interested in cutting body fat in lieu of straight pounds. Right now my lifestyle goes as follows. Work 6-2 TH-MO, working out at the gym 4-5 days a week. Considering I only bench 225 pounds max, I feel very weak compared to the men I see lifting there, so it is very difficult to just focus on cutting fat. My main goal is to get in the teens on bodyfat, and increase my strength. I don't care as much whether I hit let's say..275 pounds..if it's a same shape as I am now 275 pounds. Is it possible to cut fat hard while gaining strength? I have went from 322 to my current weight in the past month, whilst at the same time gaining strength on my bench and other lifts as well. My daily eating regimen goes as follows (Remember this just began a month ago, and I am just now starting the whey protein)

Meal 1: Banana, light nonfat yogurt, sometimes an egg and meat only omelette. High protein cereals like Kashi Good Friends.

Meal 2: Banana, fruit etc.

Meal 3: Salad with grilled chicken, light italian dressing.

Meal 4: Protein shake

Meal 5: Grilled chicken or lean ground pork with vegetables, no butter added.

Meal 6: Assorted snacks, yogurt, peanuts, anything halfway healthy, whatever's clever.

I also do 15-20 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week after I lift. My exercise is almost always between Meals 3 and 4. Am I well on my way to my ideal goals? If not, could I please have some advice as to what I can do to better myself? I have read numerous similar threads and have taken the advice to heart, but I feel some direct advice/comments will benefit me to the fullest extent. Thanks to all who reply, and I look forward to spending quite a bit of time on these forums.

Cheers! James

Unreal
07-09-2005, 06:17 PM
You can gain strength while losing fat if you have a good excess of fat which you do. I went from 288 to 220 while gaining strength. The hard part has been 220->205 and now going 205->195. I noticed the fat is alot harder to shed at this point, and strength gains have gone away..

Anyways, I would suggest reading up here. Read the sticky on what a body builder eats. Your diet could use a redo. Too much fruit/carbs, not enough protein IMO. Track it on www.fitday.com for a few days, see how many calories your eating and the macro breakdown, then post that and we can try to help.

fixationdarknes
07-09-2005, 06:52 PM
:withstupi

And for protein, for someone your size, try to get at least 200-250 grams of protein, at least 30% carbs, and the rest to healthy fats such as peanuts, natural style peanut butter, fish/flaxseed oil, and safflower oil and olive oil.

WildJames
07-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. If I chose to use creatine in addition to my whey protein, would that have a negative effect on my weight/fat loss? Thanks

Paul Stagg
07-09-2005, 08:36 PM
I'd say you are off to a good start.

Keep reading about diet, and adapt what you read to your individual needs and goals.

Unreal
07-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Nothing wrong with creatine for cutting/fat loss.

Built
07-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Indeed. I keep the creatine for my cuts.

pfc3rex
07-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Welcome, and congratulations on your current weight loss. You have already committed to your first goal of weight loss. Also keep in mind you also need to have a good amount of heatlhy fats (omega3) such as using fish oil. If your currently not taking a multi-vitamin you mind want to consider that. But other than that, good luck!