PDA

View Full Version : My wife is not losing any weight and I cant figure out why...

Songbird
07-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey

OK this is starting to be a real downer. My wife and I started exercising together a month ago and I have seen results while hers have been minimal. In the afternoons we have been walking between 4-5 miles every single day and some days we will play tennis together after we walk.

Also, we used to eat out 3-4 times a week and since we have been exercising we only eat out once a week. Even at home we are eating healthier. The scale is not being kind because it never seems to move off of the place that she started. :cry:

I have also been working out 4 times a week in the morning by lifting weights and I have lost 4 pounds and toned up to a certain degree. I can also lift more weight than when I started a month ago. So I know that I work out more than she does, but surely she is doing enough to see some changes? :confused:

Neither one of us goes hungry, but we do make a point not to over eat. Is it possible to not be eating enough and that is why her body refuses to lose weight? I think she is getting at least 1200-1500 cals a day. How can we force her body to make changes? :cry:

Hope someone can help.

Built
07-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Okay, enough guessing here.

Exactly how many grams of protein, carb, fat is she consuming? How much does she weigh, how tall is she, describe the training she is doing, how old is she, are her lifts progressing, what rep strategy is she useing...

Songbird
07-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Hi

Well she doesnt lift weights at all. She takes walks with me in the afternoon and we play tennis more often than not. All in all we do at least 1.5 hours of pretty moderate exercise everyday including the weekends.

I am not sure what her intake is on things like protein, carbs, and all that good stuff. I dont really know much about that sort of thing so I guess thats why we havent been keeping up, but she is on the weight watchers diet. Neither one of us drinks and we also dont drink sodas so were not getting a lot of calories that way. She got on that diet about two years ago and lost 20 pounds pretty quickly but lost interest after that. Well she decided to get back on it since it worked the first time and this time she is exercising and doing the ww's diet, but something is seriously not working.

I wouldnt mind to help her with some other diet, but I really dont know anything about it. I took a health class in college last semester and we talked about different diets and what worked and what didnt. It has weight watchers and a couple others listed as legit programs that would help you lose weight.

If anyone has any tips on another diet or how to properly track everything then I am all ears. :newbie:

oh I almost forgot. My wife is 5'6" and weighs around 185 lbs. Luckily it doesnt all collect in her belly so she doesnt look like she weighs that much, but she does. I will attach a picture from last Christmas so you can get a better idea of her body type. And she hasnt changed much if at all.

edit - I forgot to tell you that she is 28 years old.

Built
07-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi

Well she doesnt lift weights at all.

Okay, there's your first problem.

She takes walks with me in the afternoon and we play tennis more often than not. All in all we do at least 1.5 hours of pretty moderate exercise everyday including the weekends.

I am not sure what her intake is on things like protein, carbs, and all that good stuff.

There's your second problem.

I dont really know much about that sort of thing so I guess thats why we havent been keeping up, but she is on the weight watchers diet. Neither one of us drinks and we also dont drink sodas so were not getting a lot of calories that way. She got on that diet about two years ago and lost 20 pounds pretty quickly but lost interest after that. Well she decided to get back on it since it worked the first time and this time she is exercising and doing the ww's diet, but something is seriously not working.

WW is a pretty low-calorie diet. There's little emphasis on protein, and the carbs are high while the fats are low. I wouldn't be able to stick to the WW diet, and if I could, I'd lose so much lean mass I'd be virtually guaranteed to regain the weight plus extra, especially with no heavy weightlifting to help me maintain my muscle.

I wouldnt mind to help her with some other diet, but I really dont know anything about it. I took a health class in college last semester and we talked about different diets and what worked and what didnt. It has weight watchers and a couple others listed as legit programs that would help you lose weight.

If anyone has any tips on another diet or how to properly track everything then I am all ears. :newbie:

oh I almost forgot. My wife is 5'6" and weighs around 185 lbs. Luckily it doesnt all collect in her belly so she doesnt look like she weighs that much, but she does. I will attach a picture from last Christmas so you can get a better idea of her body type. And she hasnt changed much if at all.

She's a very pretty lady, your wife!

I'm just under 5'8", and four years ago (at age 38) I weighed 170 lbs, so our bodies are not too far different in that regard.

You can have a peek at the link in my sig if you like - I've listed how I diet in there.

I won't tell anyone what they HAVE to do, but I'd suggest the following if she was a friend of mine:

Have her track her cals on www.fitday.com for a few days, to find how many calories she's eating now (this HAS to include ALL cheats - it's to establish a baseline. Tell her to resist the urge to "be good")

Spend a few weeks changing where the calories come from: about 1.0-1.5g protein per pound goal weight (if her goal weight is 120 lbs, for example, she should get in 120-180g protein), the rest from whatever combination of carbs and healthy fats she likes. Personally, I like my fats a little on the high side or I'm too hungry to control my appetite, but it's different for everyone. Split the protein into 6 roughly equal portions, and eat it as 6 meals rather than 3 meals and snacks.

Start lifting heavy-for-her weights for an hour four days a week, and toss in a 30 minute walk after the weights on lifting days, and first thing in the AM (before eating) on non-lifting days.

After a few weeks of this, drop the calories by about 10% (ie if her maintenance calories are 2000 a day, drop to 1800 cals a day) and see how it goes. Don't drop the calories too fast - if she does, she'll lose lean mass, and this will drop her metabolic rate, making it darned near impossible to maintain the loss.

Good luck!

Songbird
07-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks very much for the help. I did check out your pictures and you are in tip top shape. That is really incredible that you made those kinds of changes and were able to stick with them. Big thumbs up for that. :bow:

Thanks for all the tips and now I am going to recommend that my wife starts going with me to the gym in the mornings. We are both willing to do whatever it takes.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

Built
07-10-2005, 08:55 PM
You're welcome.

A few things:

No cardio before lifting - only after, or on a separate day
She won't "bulk up" from the weights, especially while dieting - women simply don't have the hormones for it
Make sure she eats before lifting. You can do moderate intensity cardio empty, but weights and HIIT are to be done FED.

Good luck!

And thanks. :)

MorrisGreen
07-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Very nice pics Built(I saved them) and good advice.

Hatred
07-12-2005, 10:25 AM
I love these threads.
Definitive,end-all-be-all-answer: IF you are not losing weight you are not operating on a caloric deficit.
Either eat less or increase caloric expenditure.

Nuts
07-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Songbird, I know I'm new here, but when I saw your post, I recognized something that hit me really hard like a ton of bricks. I too exercised with my wife, stayed active and yet I wasn't losing any weight. WHat my wife didn't know was that I was raiding the cabinets, the quick stores and any other source of garbage I could find when she wasn't looking. Over-eating can make you do some really repulsive things, like hiding food from your spouse. I know because I was there.

Just food for thought (pardon the pun.)

Maki Riddington
07-16-2005, 06:59 PM
I love these threads.
Definitive,end-all-be-all-answer: IF you are not losing weight you are not operating on a caloric deficit.
Either eat less or increase caloric expenditure.

Not true. Sometimes it's a matter of eating more. The body does a good job at self regulating itself. Simply eating less and/or moving more can be detrimental in terms of creating a sluggish metabolism.

PizDoff
07-17-2005, 08:23 PM
I think Built took care of everything pretty much, get her as a spotter! It will build trust in the relationship! :D

waynis
07-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Not true. Sometimes it's a matter of eating more. The body does a good job at self regulating itself. Simply eating less and/or moving more can be detrimental in terms of creating a sluggish metabolism.

so true. It's happend to me and I have the cleanest diet around. I had 2 cheat days the one week and the next week I lost 3lbs :)

Built
07-17-2005, 08:42 PM
And don't you just LOVE how your muscles look the day after a cheat day in the gym?

Junk food gives the BEST pumps!