PDA

View Full Version : Not growing -- need help with my diet, please!

unev_en
12-13-2001, 09:35 AM
I've been training consistently for over a year (before that, I played sports and trained intensely but unintelligently.) I have been using my current routine for four months; and over the last six months, I have seen a total weight gain of approximately 8-10 lbs. In recent weeks/months, however, my progress has stalled; in fact, though my strength is slowly, slowly increasing, I am seeing no growth whatsoever in most of my body. I wonder if my diet is to blame, especially since the routine I am using provides adequate rest and has been found by many to be extremely effective. I want to increase calories, but I am not sure how exactly to do so; I am afraid of adding too much fat, and once I get set in an eating routine, it is quite difficult to change it.

Stats: 18, Male, 5'7'', 136 lbs, and very low bf%.
Diet:

Meal One: 7:15
one cup oats
25 g egg white protein
one omega-3 /omega 6 enriched egg yolk
one tbsp cashew butter (8 g fat)

meal two:10:30
2/3 cup oats
one 3 oz can of tuna

meal three: 1:00
one half cup (measured uncooked) brown rice (340 cal, 75 c)
one tbsp cashew butter
some fibrous veggies
one can low sodium tuna (34 g protein.)

meal four: (post-workout) 5:00
50 g dextrose/malto
25 g egg white protein.

meal five: 6:30
10 oz. sweet potato
6 oz salmon filet (14 g fat)
veggies

meal six: 9:30-10:00
two egg yolks
three egg whites

Total calories are around 2600-2800. Please, any suggestions as to exactly how to go about increasing my caloric intake would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S.: I would eat whey, milk, and peanut butter, but I am fatally allergic to all dairy and nut products (except cashews.)

12-13-2001, 12:25 PM
Meal One: 7:15
one cup oats
25 g egg white protein
one omega-3 /omega 6 enriched egg yolk
one tbsp cashew butter (8 g fat)

**add a source of carbs. Maybe oatmeal and mix your cashew butter in it.

meal two:10:30
2/3 cup oats
one 3 oz can of tuna

**Looks alright.

meal three: 1:00
one half cup (measured uncooked) brown rice (340 cal, 75 c)
one tbsp cashew butter
some fibrous veggies
one can low sodium tuna (34 g protein.)

**looks alright

meal four: (post-workout) 5:00
50 g dextrose/malto
25 g egg white protein.

**add another 20-25g of protein. 5-10g of glutamine wouldn't hurt here.

meal five: 6:30
10 oz. sweet potato
6 oz salmon filet (14 g fat)
veggies

**looks alright

meal six: 9:30-10:00
two egg yolks
three egg whites

**more protein.

Total calories are around 2600-2800. Please, any suggestions as to exactly how to go about increasing my caloric intake would be greatly appreciated.

**Increasing calories is simple. If you are not gaining any weight then yes it is in your diet. Just keep adding more portions to your diet. The only thing that concerns me is a lot of meals you mix carbs with fats. But because your bulking, and having trouble gaining weight, that doesn't seem to be a big problem right now. Just keep adding more to your portions. Example - 8oz salmon instead of 6oz, 6 egg whites instead of 3. You get the drift.

unev_en
12-13-2001, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I do include carbs in my first meal; one cup oatmeal has 54 g carbs.

So I should increase all three macronutrients?

12-13-2001, 02:53 PM
sorry I missed the oatmeal in meal 1. You read my mind or I read yours without reading what you wrote.. hehe.

Ok I did a quick tally on your original diet there and here is what I came up with:

~2550 calories
~280g carbs = 44%
~200g protein = 32%
~55g fats = 20%
(Note: I know the % only add up to 96%, but this was an estimate since you didn't give exact macro values)

Not bad at all. If you wanna try a 40/40/20 split which is quite popular for bulking, you can try upping the protein a bit.
I think fats is just about right. And your carbs seem to be at a good amount for your bodyweight. I'd maybe raise protein a bit.
How about trying to get approx. 260g carbs, 260g protein, 60g fat / day to start.
That'd be a 40/40/20 split @ 2620 calories. And everytime you raise calories, you can raise all 3 macros, while maintaining that split.

At a bodyweight of 136lbs I'm really surprised you haven't been gaining any weight on your current diet. You must be as ectomorph as one can get.

unev_en
12-13-2001, 06:23 PM
Thanks again.

The reason I was wondering about increasing my caloric intake, especially my carb intake, was that recently I have been very fatigued, even exhausted, and so I though perhaps I was consuming too few carbohydrates.

Also, perhaps the reason I cannot gain much on this diet is that I am eighteen (teenagers are known for their abnormally high metabolisms) and that all my life I have been extremely lean (due to my severe allergies.)

I guess it's hard to become overweight when one cannot eat milk, cheese, butter, whey, ice cream, chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, margarine, etc...

the doc
12-13-2001, 08:20 PM
add some whole eggs in exchange for the whites to up cals

heathj
12-13-2001, 09:42 PM
Have you tried eating lard? Mmmmmmm.....One time my friends smeared lard all over my windshield and door handles...yuck.