PDA

View Full Version : High Cholesterol

BLUENOSER
12-13-2001, 11:25 AM
I just found out that I have high cholesterol. I have not gone for a complete blood work, however I do know that my total cholesterol is over 7 which is not very good so I am told.
My question is what foods will help me lower my cholesterol,I know that flax and oatmeal will help but what else?

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-13-2001, 11:32 AM
Apparently good fats will help lower the LDL's and raise the HDL's.

so go for mono and poly sources.

nuts: peanuts, walnuts, brazil nuts, almonds etc

oils: olive, flaxseed, sunflower [anything that isn't an animal source or coconut or palm oil.]

Tryska
12-13-2001, 11:32 AM
need more information...

ie: what is your blood lipid profile?

for instance, my blood cholesterol level has always been kinda high, however, it's ratios are something like 80%HDL to 20%LDL, which puts me in excellent shape as far as that goes.

now may not be the right time to worry.

the doc
12-13-2001, 11:48 AM
total cholesterol is a rather unimportant value

Your ratios are the most important
follow up with a lipid profile

BLUENOSER
12-13-2001, 12:01 PM
I have a family history of high cholesterol and most of them have a high HDL compared to the LDL. What would a good ratio be?

hemants
12-13-2001, 12:35 PM
The two most important ratio's are total cholesterol to HDL and tricglycerides to HDL.

Your doctor can tell you what is too high.

Either way, it doesn't seem like you are at risk of low HDL so you should focus on lowering your LDL by:

1. lower intake of saturated fats
2. lower intake of trans fatty acids and hydrogenated fats
3. exercise (you probably already do but cardio can help).

You may in fact not have a problem but the above advice wouldn't hurt in any case.

BLUENOSER
12-13-2001, 01:07 PM
I watch my diet pretty close but right now i am try to bulk so most of my diet is high in protein foods. I use alot of dairy products (skim milk, cheese, yogurt ) are these high in saturated fats also I use whey protein twice aday. i am just worried that the doc. is going to tell me to cut back on protein rich food.

At the moment I do no carido but my workouts are very intense no more than 45 min and I keep my heart rate up in the target zone.

hemants
12-13-2001, 01:51 PM
No need to cut down on protein rich foods, just find protein rich foods that are low in saturated fat.

heathj
12-13-2001, 03:45 PM
Niacin?

BLUENOSER
12-14-2001, 05:31 AM
What are the benefits of taking niacin?