PDA

View Full Version : Rate of protein absorbtion:bigger meals vs. smaller

SW
07-11-2005, 06:22 PM
I've heard around here lately that more protein will get involved in muscle synthesis if you eat smaller meals, rather than turn into glycogen or something and end up being used for energy.

So this begs the question; do I really need to have my bw in grams of protein every day if I spread my protein out over every meal, or do I need to hit that number either way? Thanks for helping clear the confusion.

Vapour Trails
07-11-2005, 06:37 PM
To prevent fat gain, you would definately want to eat many, small meals. Excess protein who show up as fat though, not glycogen. Gluconeogenesis is not operating in times of abundance.

bradley
07-11-2005, 06:51 PM
To prevent fat gain, you would definately want to eat many, small meals. Excess protein who show up as fat though, not glycogen. Gluconeogenesis is not operating in times of abundance.

Calorie balance at the end of the day will determine whether you gain or lose weight, and studies have shown that there is no difference between 6 small meals and three larger meals. I would recommend using the method that best controls hunger.

bradley
07-11-2005, 06:54 PM
I've heard around here lately that more protein will get involved in muscle synthesis if you eat smaller meals, rather than turn into glycogen or something and end up being used for energy.

So this begs the question; do I really need to have my bw in grams of protein every day if I spread my protein out over every meal, or do I need to hit that number either way? Thanks for helping clear the confusion.

LBM would be a better guide instead of bw, but as a general rule 1g per lb. of bw would a good goal for daily protein intake. As I posted above don't really worry about the number of meals, as long as you are eating a meal upon waking and one before bed. Calorie balance is what you should be focusing on, assuming you are taking in adequate protein and EFAs.

SW
07-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Calorie control is easy. I find myself easily taking in 400 or so less calories than maintinence every day. But protein is hard to get ahold of. Until I can get some opticen or whey, I'll be scrounging in dozens of cans of tuna.

Shao-LiN
07-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Milk, chicken, beef, turkey not available?

SW
07-12-2005, 05:56 AM
Nope. We rarely cook the chickens we dress. I'm trying to get a change in that, but it's slow and coming :(

Vapour Trails
07-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Calorie balance at the end of the day will determine whether you gain or lose weight, and studies have shown that there is no difference between 6 small meals and three larger meals. I would recommend using the method that best controls hunger.

In the context of bodybuilding, eating small meals more often is definately preferable.

BG5150
07-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Nope. We rarely cook the chickens we dress. I'm trying to get a change in that, but it's slow and coming :(

What line of business are you in?

There is always beef.

SW
07-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Farm work. We freeze most of it and eat it like once a week :( When i get my paycheck I believe some opticen is in order to help me get the proteins I need.

bradley
07-13-2005, 04:06 AM
In the context of bodybuilding, eating small meals more often is definately preferable.

Why is that? As long as you are eating a meal upon waking and before going to bed you should be fine. There are studies that back this up, but yet I have seen none supporting what you stated above.

spencerjrus
07-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Farm work. We freeze most of it and eat it like once a week :( When i get my paycheck I believe some opticen is in order to help me get the proteins I need.

You work on a farm and you cant get enough protein? Please tell me you're joking.

Vapour Trails
07-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Why is that? As long as you are eating a meal upon waking and before going to bed you should be fine. There are studies that back this up, but yet I have seen none supporting what you stated above.

I don't need a study to know it's better to eat many small meals. If one were to eat only twice a day, at breakfast and bedtime, there would be a significant period of time where nutrients levels in the blood would be diminished. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't cortisol levels rise after about 4 hours without food, setting the stage for protein degradation.

Putting that aside, every single professional bodybuilder (and most amatuers) eat often, usually every 2-4 hours. Are you saying that everybody has got it wrong?

DoUgL@S
07-13-2005, 05:12 PM
I don't need a study to know it's better to eat many small meals. If one were to eat only twice a day, at breakfast and bedtime, there would be a significant period of time where nutrients levels in the blood would be diminished. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't cortisol levels rise after about 4 hours without food, setting the stage for protein degradation.

If you are not basing your comments on plublished research then its just speculation. Depending on the size and content of the meal you could still be digesting food much later than 4 hrs after you eat a meal. There are studes about gastric emptying that deal with this.

Putting that aside, every single professional bodybuilder (and most amatuers) eat often, usually every 2-4 hours. Are you saying that everybody has got it wrong?

I thought he was saying that it doesn't make that big a difference. 3 meals per day might not be the "ideal" situation, but it will not make a significant difference if you are eating enough.

bradley
07-13-2005, 06:46 PM
I will add to what douglasmolina said above. Bodybuilders eat more frequently in an effort to consume more calories when bulking, or keep hunger levels at bay when cutting. I am not saying that you are wrong for eating smaller more frequent meals, but there is no scientific research that shows it is any better than eating three squares per day.

Rex
07-13-2005, 08:27 PM
That's surprising. The bodies anabolic response to eating is well known.