PDA

View Full Version : I think im taking in to much protein...

YungLifter
07-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Is it bad if your taking in more then 2g per lb, I don't aim for that high just the foods I eat have alot of protein lol. I get 300+g and I only weight about 135lbs. Is this bad?

Anthony
07-12-2005, 08:21 AM
If you're healthy and active, no problem.

YungLifter
07-12-2005, 08:23 AM
O ok good, kind of hard to get in all the calories without the protein. Unless I ate more junk food which im just not into that much only when I get a craving or something but other then that I just don't feel like eating junk food.

Shao-LiN
07-12-2005, 05:33 PM
I actually find it quite easy to get a lot of calories w/ not so much protein and still eat clean. Fats are very calorie dense and I'm a sucker for carbs.

YungLifter
07-12-2005, 06:00 PM
yea but my carbss are already high as it is and my fats are good to.

MM
07-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Meh, I'm touch and go at around 300-350 every day, and I feel okay.

Wait... was that my kidney crying? :(

Unholy
07-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Lol, shush, as long as you drink water your fine.

MM
07-12-2005, 10:35 PM
I don't drink water. It doesn't have protein in it.

Vapour Trails
07-12-2005, 10:35 PM
300g for a 135lber is excessive.

I just looked at your fitday, I don't really think you need to eat 3 scoops of whey a day with all the other whole proteins you are consuming.

dissipate
07-12-2005, 10:43 PM
that amount of protein is okay.. personally i feel that fats could go higher to 30% total caloric intake.

Nito
07-12-2005, 10:58 PM
I suggest upping your fat intake and carb intake, and lowering your protein intake.

Shao-LiN
07-12-2005, 11:04 PM
yea but my carbss are already high as it is and my fats are good to.

I doubt your carbs and fats are all that high if you're getting in that much protein at your weight. Not to say that getting your calories from protein sources is bad, but you need to lower your sense of "high". If you're worried that your protein intake is rather high, then how do you go about keeping calories while lowering protein? You raise carbs/fats and lower protein.

YungLifter
07-13-2005, 10:18 AM
I only take in 3 scoops of whey on workout days 1 for before and 2 for after on non workoutdays i take sometimes 1 if any.

thajeepster
07-13-2005, 11:02 AM
O ok good, kind of hard to get in all the calories without the protein. Unless I ate more junk food which im just not into that much only when I get a craving or something but other then that I just don't feel like eating junk food.

i have the same problem... you need protien at each meal, and if you have the typical chicken/rice/veggies combo, with the total protein for the day divided by six meals... well... im ending up eating like 100g raw of chicken per meal now, thats barely anything... I am saving on chicken though :D

Vapour Trails
07-13-2005, 11:16 AM
I only take in 3 scoops of whey on workout days 1 for before and 2 for after on non workoutdays i take sometimes 1 if any.

You really don't need 2 scoops afterwards if you've already had one before.

Hanz
07-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Unrelated to the original post but along the same topic, I just got my results from a physical/urine/blood test. Everything was great except my Urea Nitrogen (BUN) was high (26). The range is 7-25 so I'm not too concerned.

I eat about 1g/lb (5'10", 175lbs.). The doc said to lower my protein intake and that as much as I'm eating, my muscles aren't seeing most of it -- hence the high nitrogen content in my urea. Now all the body building write-ups on here beg to differ and since upping my protein intake a few months back I've definitely noticed tissue growth. Seems like I'll either get a doctor's opinion (who's looking out for my overall health), or your all's opinion (who's obsessed with weight training) but never a good balance...

What's typical of body builders when they get old? Are there studies on their livers and kidneys when they're 60-100 years old? I wonder what the longterm effects are for someone with a high protein diet.

bigsethmeister
07-13-2005, 03:48 PM

:p

Ryder
07-13-2005, 03:50 PM

:windup:

smalls
07-13-2005, 11:28 PM
You really don't need 2 scoops afterwards if you've already had one before.

Who the **** are you to be telling people what they do and do not need. You dont "need" to be adding any scoops of protein to any meals. But it certainly can help.

I get in 500g plus when bulking, I must be dead or something, you guys are too funny.

smalls
07-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Unrelated to the original post but along the same topic, I just got my results from a physical/urine/blood test. Everything was great except my Urea Nitrogen (BUN) was high (26). The range is 7-25 so I'm not too concerned.

I eat about 1g/lb (5'10", 175lbs.). The doc said to lower my protein intake and that as much as I'm eating, my muscles aren't seeing most of it -- hence the high nitrogen content in my urea. Now all the body building write-ups on here beg to differ and since upping my protein intake a few months back I've definitely noticed tissue growth. Seems like I'll either get a doctor's opinion (who's looking out for my overall health), or your all's opinion (who's obsessed with weight training) but never a good balance...

What's typical of body builders when they get old? Are there studies on their livers and kidneys when they're 60-100 years old? I wonder what the longterm effects are for someone with a high protein diet.

From your post it seems your doctor didnt say having a high nitrogen content was bad, only that it showed excessive intake. It's not an unhealthy state, and I couldnt imagine him saying otherwise. If you've been making gains in tissue growth I dont see what the problem is.

bigsethmeister
07-14-2005, 07:35 AM
From your post it seems your doctor didnt say having a high nitrogen content was bad, only that it showed excessive intake. It's not an unhealthy state, and I couldnt imagine him saying otherwise. If you've been making gains in tissue growth I dont see what the problem is.

Right. What that means is simply that you are experiencing expensive pee.
:)

As long as your liver function is normal and you drink a decent amount of water excess protein intake really shouldn't be an issue.