PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to hold on to strength?

Hazerboy
07-12-2005, 09:49 PM
I tore some upper muscles in my back two weeks ago (around my lats/shoulder blades) so I finally broke down and went to the doctor today. Basically he told me that it would take another 4-6 weeks to heal and "Don't do it if it hurts."

Heavy squats, deadlifts, and bench pressing hurt (or about any large compound movement at all.) But accessory work usually doesn't hurt at all, like skull crushers, pull-ups, and leg-extensions.

As of now I"m pretty worried about my maxes going down, especially when I'm crunched for time. So I've decided to build a routine around things that "don't hurt my back." Upper body stuff won't be that hard, (except for chest) but I'm having a hard time finding good lifts for my legs that aren't painful; any suggestions? I was also considering doing sprints to keep some of that explosive leg power.

Paul Stagg
07-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Do what you can, and listen to your doctor.

One way to ensure you lose more strength is to hurt yourself again.

WBBIRL
07-13-2005, 05:55 PM
I would nurse yourself as much as possible, I dont know how old you are but there is always time to gain strength. Im 18 right now and if I injured a muslce I would nurse the crap outa it. Let things heal up, a month from the gym wont drop your max 50lbs.

Canadian Crippler
07-13-2005, 08:19 PM
I find it odd that pullups don't hurt from an injured lat but bench press does, lol. Either way, rest it up bro.

BossHawg02
07-13-2005, 09:34 PM
yea just do what you can....def. listen to th doctor....I used to be stubborn and didnt but it'll catch up to you sooner or later.....and just when u get well bust ass and you'll be aight....

Hazerboy
07-13-2005, 11:38 PM
strangly enough pullups don't hurt; the muscles injured are more stabilizer muscles in the middle of my back right under my shoulder blades. My doctor just said they were a lot of little ones, bench actually doesn't hurt as bad as I thought.

I'm just worried about time because there's only 6 more months till wrestling season and once school starts its going to be very hard to fit in lifting time.

WBBIRL
07-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Dont worry about it man, do cardio. Wresting is alot about endurance too... you can run till the cows come home and not bother those muscles. Let it heal up, if you dont chances are youll reinjure it during westleing season.