PDA

View Full Version : A Girl's Recomposition Composition

Jennikins
07-13-2005, 03:40 PM
I originally started working out in January with my boyfriend. We were living together (still are) and he had just finished up a semester. I've always been interested in healthy living, eating fairly well, and trying to be active, so I thought I would actively try to be active. Wooh!

So, here it is 6 months later, and I have very little to show for my effort. Or maybe I do but since I didn't track it, I haven't noticed. I was 5'2 and 120 lbs then, and I'm the same weight and same height now. *sigh* I WAS down to 116 lbs last month, but having never taken off days, I decided to take an off week. And my weight went up to where it is now. Blah.

So, here's what I started lifting, with a day rest between days (all in lbs, for 6 reps):

Lift - Day 1 - Day 11
Bench Press - 25 - 40
Bicep Curl - 15 - 20
Shoulder - 15 - 25
Shrugs - 60 - 95
Leg Extension - 40 - 85
Leg Curl - 20 - 35

And then we moved, and adopted a split:

Monday - Week 1 - Week 7 - Currently
Bench Press - 30 - 40 - 32.5
Close Grip - 30 - 32.5 - 27.5
Tricep Extension - 10DB - 10DB - N/A
Incline Bench - 25 - 30 - 27.5

Wednesday
Leg Curls - 25 - 27.5 - 25
Squats - 20 - 55 - 80
Leg Extensions - 60 - 70 - 85
Lunges - 20 - 37.5 - 60
Calf Raises - 65 - 80 - 70

Friday
Shoulder Press - 20 - 22.5 - 22.5
Deadlift - 50 - 70 - 85
Bicep Curls - 17.5 - 17.5 - 15
Rows - 25 - 27.5 - 25
Shrugs - 90 - 90 - 95

Then I got bored and started doing random exercises on alternating days, and I just finished that up and am now doing WBB1.

So, to sum up we see that, after 6 months of working out, most of my lifts are LOWER than 3 weeks after I first started working out. Ugh.

So, to blame I have my diet, mostly. I eat very little protein (60g). Lately I have been strugging ot eat 0.8 x bodyweight in protein, and this is a challenge. I have to eat eggs, a can of tuna, lentils, cottage cheese, milk, and kippers. I actually like it all except cottage cheese, but my caloric intake is so low (1400) that I can't really eat much with the stuff to make it taste better.

Here's my Fitday (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=defcon)

So I also have issues with my resting heart rate. I've taken it a couple times lately and it hovers around 80. But today I checked it and it's an uber-low 68!! Somehow I think it's my body's way of telling me thanks for having an off day. I've been running and lifting alternating day for 2 weeks now with no break, so maybe this has something to do with it.

Enough for today. :P:P

getfit
07-13-2005, 03:45 PM
you may want to do your squats first on your leg day!

no need to over due things rest is very important as is diet and lifting!

try to get your protein up it's important :)

Unholy
07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Welcome to thea board, eat right and lift heavy. Your results will show quickly.

Built
07-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey there!

Way to go in getting started here!

I'm going to make a small suggestion to your routine: try for 8 reps instead of 6. When I train, I usually try to do sets of 8 until I increment, then I drop back to 6 and work my way back up. I've read elsewhere that women have slightly lower CNS development, and may respond to SLIGHTLY higher rep-strategies than men. As in all things, YMMV. :)

Got a few questions for you:

Do you feel satisfied, or hungry with the calories you are eating?

What time of day do you feel the hungriest?

Have you tried eating cottage cheese WITH something? I eat mine with a chunk of chopped up apple and some walnuts, or a handful of thawed frozen blueberries. My husband likes his on noodles - multigrain spaghetti with a scoop of lf cottage cheese tossed in would be a great pre and or post workout meal.

What are your feelings about steak?

What time of day do you train?

Are you doing any cardio right now? If so, what kind, and when?

defcon
07-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Great to see you have started a journal. :)
Let me be the first to offer you some :spam: :spam: !!

Built, YMMV? What does that mean? Your Mileage May Vary?

Built
07-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Yep.

:)

Jennikins
07-13-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm going to make a small suggestion to your routine: try for 8 reps instead of 6. When I train, I usually try to do sets of 8 until I increment, then I drop back to 6 and work my way back up. I've read elsewhere that women have slightly lower CNS development, and may respond to SLIGHTLY higher rep-strategies than men. As in all things, YMMV. :)

Hey!
Right now I'm doing 8 reps followed by slightly higher weights for 6 reps, but I'll try doing the same weight for 8 until it's too easy.

Do you feel satisfied, or hungry with the calories you are eating? What time of day do you feel the hungriest?

I'm actually pretty satisfied with the amount of calories, but I think where I'm not used to eating so much protein, I feel like I'm missing out on what I used to eat. I like to bake and cook, but I can't really eat it anymore because of the limitations. :( If I do get hungry, it's in the night. A few hours before bed.

Have you tried eating cottage cheese WITH something?

Tried mixing it was banana and pineapple mushed up.. not so great. But I copied a bunch of suggestions from the recipe forum, and I'll try those and yours too.

What are your feelings about steak?

Steak is pretty decent. :)

What time of day do you train?

Our workouts are set for 7 PM now, but I might be changing it. (I just found out I have restless legs syndrome, and they say late activity aggravates it.)

Are you doing any cardio right now? If so, what kind, and when?

Cardio right now is running/walking, every non-lifting day when the dya cools down. I'm following Couch to 5K Running Program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml). Just starting week 2. :P

Built
07-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Cool - good.

Try eating some cottage cheese just before bedtime if you get hungry then - that's what I do, with chopped apple and natty PB usually. Helps get in the protein. Just budget the calories in.

Eat steak. It's good for you - protein, iron, creatine, and saturated animal fat (good for endocrine function - particularly test, at least in men).

Jennikins
07-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Cool - good.

Try eating some cottage cheese just before bedtime if you get hungry then - that's what I do, with chopped apple and natty PB usually. Helps get in the protein. Just budget the calories in.

Eat steak. It's good for you - protein, iron, creatine, and saturated animal fat (good for endocrine function - particularly test, at least in men).

Thanks for all the advice. :) Tomorrow is grocery day; I'll see about getting red meat and hence more variety.. and I'm outta fruit so need to restock on that too. Mmmm.

Jennikins
07-14-2005, 06:02 PM
So, today I'm back at it. Today is also cheat day, but I haven't been too bad. I had a chicken fillet sandwich, and as far as I can tell I'm only going to overshoot my calories by about 200 today. Of course that's assuming that I stay good. :P Everything else was pretty normal. I'm going to finish up my day trying protein pancakes from a post by Built. They seem like they'll be pretty decent. We also got groceries today, and I got some broccoli, apples, bananas, carrots, celery, yogurt. Mmmm.

Chris (defcon) and I started our second - and harder - week of running today. I kind of cheated a bit and ended my runs a bit early. I think I'm still doing pretty good, all things considered.

I also had a busy day out of town. I had to speak to the head of the biology department to figure out my program, then I went for a physical. Yay! So my doctor says I'm all good.. except I might be a little bit of the anemic side. Surprise surprise. I have to get bloodwork done to check it all out. I tried to give blood on tuesday, but they turned me away because my iron was too low.

I've been having chest pains too, but she says it's muscle pain and I'll work through it. Thank god. I'm too young for heart attacks. (Darn teenage-I'm-invincible thinking.)

So I read the skickys in the nutrition and diet forum today. Very informative "what a bb eats" thread. Now I have some texts to edit, some new food to consider adding to my diet and grocery list. Maybe I'll even try and make some of my own recipes!

Neck
07-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Scotsburn cottage cheese? Nova Scotia?

Welcome to the boards! Good luck with your training and will be interested to see your progress over time.

Jennikins
07-15-2005, 07:31 AM
So I had my protein pancakes yesterday, and I have to say they were very good! However, next time I'm going to leave out the sweetener. (I used cyclamate-based stuff.. icky) And I'm having cottage cheese mixed in with my egg this morning, and I can't even taste it! Yay! Can't wait to see the other fun mixtures I can come up with/find.

Scotsburn cottage cheese? Nova Scotia?

Made in Nova Scotia and shipped to Newfoundland, where I reside. :)

dissipate
07-15-2005, 09:18 AM
welcome to journal land jennikins :) good on ya for working on changing your diet!

Jennikins
07-15-2005, 09:51 AM
My workout is 1 hour away, and as I've been reading "The Workout Window - Pre, During, and Post-Workout Nutrition," I'm now wondering what I should be eating right now. "Some oatmeal and eggs," says the boyfriend. "Egg whites," he corrects himself.

I've already eaten half a bagel, half a banana, an egg, a cheese slice, and a quarter cup of cottage cheese. This was 2 hours ago, for breakfast. (417 cals/13 fat/52 carb/23 pro) I feel if I eat anything significant, I'm not going to have a whole lot of calories left over for the rest of my meals. My heart is set on the other half of the banana. :P

I think I just night have the oatmeal, egg whites, and the banana. We'll see. I don't know if this is a good pre-workout meal, but it seems pretty decent for me. Maybe I'll have a smaller breakfast from now on. Trail and error... trial and error.

To the frying pan!

getfit
07-15-2005, 10:51 AM
yep oats and egg whites sounds good!

things are looking that they're getting on track :)

Jennikins
07-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Just finished today's workout, the third day of WBB1. Today had introduced me to some never-before-done lifts. Let's review:

Shoulder Press - 20x8, 20x8
Okay, I do this one all the time and have always done it. Hmm.. okay I say 20 lbs, but that's not including the bar. I really don't know the convention used here. To include, or not to include. I know there are different bar weights (mine is 15 lbs.. those extra 15 would make that 20 look a bit better. :P)

Seated DB Press - 7.5x8, 7.5x8
This is a new lift, and it felt pretty good. Kinda shaky though, so I'll stay at this weight until they're more comfy.

Standing Lat Raises - 5x8, 5x10
New exercise. I feel like a gull while I'm doing this one. Also feels good, gonna stay at the weight for a li'l while.

Close Grip BP - 25x10, 27.5x8.. +bar??
Nothing new here. Maintained regular lift weights. Not going down yet!

French Press - 5x8, 7.5x10
New lift. Chris tells me these are also called skull crushers. Eeks. These are really wobbly, gonna stay light for these for a while.

DB Bicep Curls - 12.5x8, 12.5x8
I have never done bicep curls on db before, always bb. These felt decent, about the same as the bb weight I did.

Hammer Curls - 12.5x7
These were new, and pretty draining after doing bicep curls. I had to take a break half through. Maybe never waited long enough. *phew*

Static Hold - 90x44 seconds
Doing these to increase my ability to hold the bar during shrugs. Other benefits to follow I'm sure.

And now it's soon supper time. I'm having ww pasta and some tuna. Maybe some cheese (other people are having macaroni and cheese.. sparked some ideas in my head).

Guido
07-15-2005, 01:19 PM
It's good you've been reading up on stuff. The more you learn the better your results will be. Great start to a journal!

defcon
07-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Looking good. You'll be lifting more then me in no time :p

Jennikins
07-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Just finished my run for today.. followed by a shower. Today was a pretty draining day. Chris and I went for a 1 hr hike.. over lots of hills. Fun fun! It was nice though, not too hot. The we had to come home and go running! Couldn't wait to get out of those sweaty clothes!

Run today was still not where I'd like it to be. I stopped earlier than I was "supposed to", so I'll stick with it until I'm comfortable, then move on to something a little bit harder.

My triceps hurt today.. that's a good thing. At least I know I'm not risking crushing my skull for nothing. :P

Eating is still going pretty well. Eaten today:
Half Bagel w/ 2 fried eggs and Cheese Slice
Fresh pineapple
slice of toast w/ margarine
apple during hike
WW macaroni w/ cheese and tuna
broccoli

Still to come:
Skim Milk
Kippers
(Total: 1410cals 59fat 129carb 96pro)

So I have my 0.8x weight in protein, and that's what I've been aiming for. Any more than that right now and I don't think I'd have the will to do it.

Built
07-16-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm glad you're easing into the protein.

Your calories seem a little low, how do you feel on this?

Jennikins
07-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Your calories seem a little low, how do you feel on this?

We guessed that this should be a good amount to start off with. I'm not starved by any means, and so far I haven't lost any weight. We're seeing how it goes, and adjusting if necessary. So far so good.

Built
07-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Okay, cool.

You're smaller than I am, and this might be perfectly reasonable.

I'm so used to the "bulking boys" on this forum all trying to cram down 6000 cals a day that I always have to recalibrate my perspective for newbie female lifters.

Jennikins
07-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Okay, cool.

You're smaller than I am, and this might be perfectly reasonable.

I'm so used to the "bulking boys" on this forum all trying to cram down 6000 cals a day that I always have to recalibrate my perspective for newbie female lifters.

Yeah, I'm small, new, and cutting. That'll do it.

Today is off day. *sigh* So nice, yet I still feel like I should be doing something. I have been reading threads since I got up this morning, so getting more information will be my goal today. Today will not be wasted.

I've been reading nutrition and diet mostly, since I think that's where my biggest problem is. Read some stuff on low-GI and high-GI carbs, and looked for some information about what I should be eating and when. Low-GI carbs are to be eaten most often, and high-GI carbs after workout, although I've also read that that's not completely necessary.

I've been contemplating getting a multivitamin too, but I'm going to try and get what I need from food first. Fitday tells me that I'm not meeting any of my requirements except for thiamin. Now, this could be only because I left out some stuff when I made custom foods. I'll have to remedy this.

Built
07-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I actually don't pay that much attention to GI. It's a rather outdated concept.

I actually LIKE foods like yams, brown rice, multigrain pasta, oats ... so those are the carbs I eat when I eat 'em, but I only eat starchy carbs in the meal before and the meal right after I lift. I don't bother "spiking" my insulin post workout because I don't need to - I've already consumed slower carbs about an hour before I started working out, so I have the carbs trickling into me already by the time I start training.

The rest of my meals on all days are centred around protein and fat, often with green vegetables.

I find that by keeping my fats somewhat higher than most people typically think of for cutting, I feel more satisfied, and this makes it easier to diet.

Higher fats are also beneficial for stabilizing blood sugar (and hence, insulin), and help support proper endocrine function.

Since you don't actually NEED carbs at other times, I don't eat them at other times. Too hard to control my appetite.

You'll find the mix that works for you.

lynnlynn7
07-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Greetings and salutations. Always good to see another female voice around here. I look forward to seeing your progress! Welcome!

Jennikins
07-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the info, Built. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Working well so far. :)

Greetings and salutations. Always good to see another female voice around here. I look forward to seeing your progress! Welcome!

Thanks! Glad to hear from another female also. We're a rare breed, it seems.

Jennikins
07-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Ahhh.. workout has been completed for another day. Today was back/chest day, and in light of new information, all lifts now include the weight of the bar! (New and improved..??)

Bench Press - 32.5x8, 32.5x8
All good here.

Low incline DB Press - 12.5x12, 15x10
All good. A bit wobbly, but good.

Dips - 0x9, 0x8
We don't have any kind of proper set-up for dips, but we're improvising. These are hard, and I'm being assisted with my legs. :eek:

Deadlifts - 95x8, 95x8
Chris says I don't have proper form on these (back slightly arched, legs not parallel). Close, but not perfect. I tried doing what he suggested, but it was really awkward. Did what I normally do, felt it where I should. Got kinda tired on the second set, though.

Shrugs - 105x10
Did these... my neck hurt afterwards, and still does. :( Kinda between my shoulder blades. I think I'll be going a bit lighter next time.

Rows - 40x8, 40x8
All I have to say it that I'm glad our bars are light. :P

Resting heart rate (just checked) is 74. I think that's pretty good for the middle of the day. Yesterday it was 64. Woah. I think that's a good sign, but I'm not really sure if it's reliable yet. I'll wait a bit, but even if it is inaccurate, at least it gives me a false sense of accomplishment. Yay psychology. :P

So I got a blood test done today too. I've been anemic before, and was put on iron pills. To be on the safe side, my doctor wants it checked again. I feel healthy though, or maybe I just don't know what healthy feels like. Haha.

This weekend I weigh in and take measurements and see how my 2 weeks of effort have paid off. :eek:

lynnlynn7
07-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Deadlifts - 95x8, 95x8
Chris says I don't have proper form on these (back slightly arched, legs not parallel). Close, but not perfect. I tried doing what he suggested, but it was really awkward. Did what I normally do, felt it where I should. Got kinda tired on the second set, though.

I have just started doing deads as well. I have found that this is one lift in which having a big booty pays off. I kinda "sit back" before the lift and let my booty get low. I've found that the hardest part for me is the point at which I should begin moving my hips forward to lock out. Do you do yours in the sumo style or the more traditional?

Jennikins
07-19-2005, 08:01 AM
I have just started doing deads as well. I have found that this is one lift in which having a big booty pays off. I kinda "sit back" before the lift and let my booty get low. I've found that the hardest part for me is the point at which I should begin moving my hips forward to lock out. Do you do yours in the sumo style or the more traditional?

Good job. I got big nothin' so that won't work for me. :P I do mine the trditional style.. never tried sumo.

ericg
07-19-2005, 12:13 PM
On your DL form, I woudlnt worry much about the legs being parallel. Focus more on not rounding your back and keep the bar as close to your body as possible. Other than that: dip, grip and rip ;)

Nice journal! I love the avatar as well.

Jennikins
07-19-2005, 01:30 PM
On your DL form, I woudlnt worry much about the legs being parallel. Focus more on not rounding your back and keep the bar as close to your body as possible. Other than that: dip, grip and rip ;)

Nice journal! I love the avatar as well.

Thanks for the advice. And I LOVE cats. :)

Jennikins
07-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Today is cardio day. I haven't ran yet, but I will in about 2 hours or so. I'll write about how that goes later.

Right now I'm wondering about what I'm eating. This is the meal I had for dinner, and I had the same for supper:

25g WW Pasta
1 cheese Slice
Half can tuna
45g Baby carrots
1 celery stalk

Totals: 242, 5f, 27c, 22p

Anyway, I love this meal. I'm just kinda concerned about eating pasta this much every day. I've read so much anti-too-much-carb stuff.. and just wondering. But then again it's only 50g total.

And I eat cottage cheese mixed with my egg every morning for breakfast. This is also sooo good. Extra proteins and I don't even notice it in my eggies. :) Except they kinda fall apart but I don't mind that.

I'm eating a lot of broccoli, carrots, and celery too. So much foods, so little calories. I always ate my veggies as a child.

I admit I cheated a little bit (coffee, popsicles), but I've gained a bit of perspective since and vow only to eat "bad" stuff on cheat day. I'm still not really sure how refined sugar is so bad (my logic is: as long as it's within calories allowed it's okay), but I'll try to stay away. I do know that they're empty calories, but they're such YUMMY calories. :P

With that being said, tomorrow is cheat day. We always have takeout one day in the middle of the week. Tomorrow I'm allowing myself a chicken fillet and a bowl of ice cream. (I'm picturing a giant bowl.. :drooling: ) Still going to aim for my 1400 calories, though.

I've been filling in my fitday religiously (except for cheat day #1, July 6.. we had crazy shrimp salad and I didn't wanna fuss over counting it), so if kind peoples would peruse and give me some thoughts, they would be welcome. Thanks all for your input so far. :)

EDIT: grammatical stuff

ericg
07-19-2005, 02:56 PM
I think the WW pasta will be fine. Its not like you are eating tons of it all day long. Like you said, if you are within your caloric intake for the day then you should be set. Track your progress and if it seems that you are staling ,as far as body (re)composition goals are concerned, replace them with unprocessed carbs (sweet potato is my fav.) and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT - make sure you add a banana to your bowl of ice cream so you can sleep at night.

Guido
07-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Meow Meow! Meow Meow!

(LynnLynn knows what I'm talking about.)

Jennikins
07-19-2005, 03:57 PM
I think the WW pasta will be fine. Its not like you are eating tons of it all day long. Like you said, if you are within your caloric intake for the day then you should be set. Track your progress and if it seems that you are staling ,as far as body (re)composition goals are concerned, replace them with unprocessed carbs (sweet potato is my fav.) and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT - make sure you add a banana to your bowl of ice cream so you can sleep at night.

Right on. This saturday is progress-tracking day. I'll revamp if needed after this weekend. And I was thinking I'd put brown sugar on my ice cream! Mmmm.. j/k But it's not like I haven't done it many many many many times before.. *sigh*

Meow Meow! Meow Meow!

(LynnLynn knows what I'm talking about.)

Uhhh.. yeah... cats are great? :)

Jennikins
07-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Just finished running/walking 30 mins ago. Here's what we have been doing this week:

5 min warm up walk
1.5 min run, 2 min walk - repeat 6 times
10 min walk home

The past 2 times we've done this, I couldn't quite finish the last 3 runs. I stopped about 15-30s earlier for each of them. This time, however, I got distracted during the walk before run #3, and we walked for 30s too long. To make up for this (quite skewedly), we added another 30s to run #3. Amazingly enough, I was able to run for the full amount of time for runs 4 and 5 (although I REALLY had to push myself). I was quite dead after run#5, so I added 30s to the next walk, and was able run the full amount of time for the final run. YAY ME! Again I really had to push myself, but I did it and I'm very pleased with myself.

I stopped to regain composure for a few seconds after the last run, and took the time to check my heart rate. I counted 44 in 15s, which makes 176 heartrate - just hovering below what I think would be 90% of my heartrate. Luckily I have never been over 180. That would scare me a bit. Right now my heartrate is 96. Kinda highish.

Anyway, tomorrow is leg day and next day is off day. Chris finds it hard to run after leg day, and I don't really care when off day is as long as I get one. :) Then lifting again on friday, and running saturday and sunday. To me it should be running friday, lifting saturday. (Oh no! But then it'll mess up our MWF labels! :P) I'll try and convince him of this - I don't really want to run 2 days in a row. :eek:

Our plan for next running day is supposed to be:

1.5 min run, 1.5 min walk, 3 min run, 3 min walk - repeat 2 times

This seems a bit hard for me right now, but I'm going to try it and see how it goes. If it's horrible I'll adjust it until I'm comfortable with it.

getfit
07-19-2005, 04:18 PM
exactly things are looking great girl! keep it up! :)

defcon
07-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Anyway, tomorrow is leg day and next day is off day. Chris finds it hard to run after leg day, and I don't really care when off day is as long as I get one. :) Then lifting again on friday, and running saturday and sunday. To me it should be running friday, lifting saturday. (Oh no! But then it'll mess up our MWF labels! :P) I'll try and convince him of this - I don't really want to run 2 days in a row. :eek:

Yes. It is nearly impossible to run with the best of effort a day after leg day, especially while cutting! We can change the Friday’s workout to Saturday for this week, see how it goes.

And about the running, I'm sure it will be easier then you think :evillaugh

Jennikins
07-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Wooh! I had 111g of protein today! That's like the mostest ever! :P Anyway.. bedtime. :)

Built
07-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Awesome!

How did you feel?

Built
07-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier...

I eat multigrain pasta a few times a week, on lifting days. I really like it.

And are you training for some sort of an event? It looks like you're in training for some sort of a run.

ericg
07-20-2005, 06:19 AM
Nice work with the interval running.

Jennikins
07-20-2005, 07:36 AM
Awesome!

How did you feel?

Felt pretty good about it. I'm comfortable eating what I'm eating now - I've made good meals and gotten used to it.

And are you training for some sort of an event? It looks like you're in training for some sort of a run.

I'm not training for anything that's coming up soon, but I want to establish a running baseline now. I'm planning on running in the Tely 10 (10 mile race in St. John's) next year, something I always wanted to do. It's held mid-July, so I have a year to see what I can do.

ericg
07-20-2005, 09:07 AM
A year is enough time i think. Just be consistent and you will be amazed in how your body has changed. Did you take any "before" pics and/or measurements to look back on?

Jennikins
07-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Did you take any "before" pics and/or measurements to look back on?

Yup. I have before measurements and pictures. Measurements as of June 4th:
Chest (not bust): 29"
Waist 29"
Hips 34"

And I don't really want to post the pictures. :P Maybe after I see improvements and can say, "This is what I DON'T look like." :)

Jennikins
07-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Leg Day!

Squats - 85x8, 65x8
Now, you might be thinking, "What's she doing, going down so much on her second set?" Well, it has come to my attention that I don't go down far enough on my squats, so I had Chris spot me for my first set, and he told me how far to go on each rep. Turns out I can only do 4 "good ones" with 85 lbs. So, now we're working on me going down to parallel leg stance, and we're working with less weight until I can tell for myself how far I have to go down. 65 seemed a tiny bit easy, but I admit it feels better than doing my fakey 85 lb lifts.

Leg Curls - 25x10, 27.5x10
I'm still trying to feel out how much weight I should be lifting to do 8 hard reps. I'll try 30 next time.

DB Lunges - 25 each hand x8, twice
Chris has really nice 25 lb plates with handles in them (I got them for him for Christmas.. aint I the good li'l supportive gf :P), which is what I used here. This is the first time I've done DB lunges; I usually do them with a BB. I found them kind of odd, with my arms swinging forward with every step I took. But I felt a lot more stable than with a BB - lower center of gravity I guess. I'll keep them around for a while.

SL DL - 65x8, 55x8
Second time doing these, first time trying them properly. Chris doesn't like these and has never done them as part of his routine, and we actually don't really know how to do them. I tried with legs slightly bent, and trying to maintain this exact bend throughout the whole movement. I found it hard to do right. Or maybe I'm doing it right and don't know it. Maybe I'll replace them with another set of curls. They both work my hammies, so eh. Thinking the 65 was too heavy to do them right, we tried 55. No change really. Aaaanyway...

Calf Raises - 85x10, 4 times
I did something really neat with these for the first time (got it off Chris, of course): I placed my toes on a piece of wood so my calves would go through more of an extension. It felt a lot better than doing them normally - except I was a bit tippy. No worry with my spotter handy! On another note, I don't really know why WBB1 writer wants 4 sets of these done. But I'll listen. There are greater powers that be. ;)

Surprisingly, I had a lot of energy when I finished my workout. Chris had to run out and fix someone's computer, so I stayed downstairs to straighten up the equipment after the workout. I'm usually so tired I'm running upstairs to lie down before Chris finishes his last set. :P I think the fact that today is a hot day and the basement is pretty cool had somehting to do with it too. :)

And today is CHEAT DAY! I actually haven't cheated on anything yet. All in due time. :P I'll have my fillet for supper, and a bowl of ice cream for dessert. Chris says that I should only be having a cheat MEAL, and that I have to eat all my cheaty stuff in 15 minutes. I'd say you'd be surprised what a small girl can eat in 15 minutes. :P

Built
07-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Way to go on fixing your squat form NOW.

I had to do it LATER, and I'm STILL working on it.

Now, SLDLs AKA RDLs are my absolutely FAVOURITE posterior chain exercise, and I do lots of posterior chain work. Leg curls are NOT equivalent.

To do this deadlift properly, follow this figure: http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/GluteusMaximus/BBStrBackStiffLegDeadlift.gif

Notice how her butt is OUT, STRONG arch in her back, knees softly rounded and the weight is dragged up and down along her body.

This is exactly how I do 'em.

Go down to a count of 2 or 3, pause at the bottom, and explode "UP". Keep your reps no higher than 8 - for deads, you're likely to see your form deteriorate on higher reps. Feel free to use dumbbells instead of a barbell if you like.

Jennikins
07-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Built. She looks different than how I was doing them - with her legs straightening out when she goes back up. That's how I wanted to do them. I'll do that next time, I'm sure with more success. :)

Built
07-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Do NOT lock your knees when you do this movement. The biggest things to pay attention to are the placement of the weight (along the body, both directions) and maintaining a strong arch in your back, stronger than she does, in fact. Try to stick your ass to the ceiling. Hum your favourite Sir Mixalot tune while you do 'em. Think "babboon during breeding season". And keep your head up - watch yourself in the mirror to make sure you don't put your head down.

ericg
07-20-2005, 03:04 PM
Good advice from Built - listen to her ;)

Your measurements dont appear to be bad at all. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Jennikins
07-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Yes, Built does give good advice. :) I plan on listening.

Jennikins
07-20-2005, 06:39 PM
So cheat day was a smashing success. :P I ate 455 more calories than I usually do, but oh well. I think I'm doing good otherwise, and I'll eat nice the rest of the week. At least my body won't think it's starving and try to save my fats.

Totals: 1855 80f 196c 97p

Tomorrow is off day - it feels like lots of cheats all together. :P Maybe I'll go for a walk tomorrow.

Built
07-20-2005, 06:45 PM
455 cals - pffft. Amateur. I go over by a thousand at least.

Glad you had fun.

Jennikins
07-21-2005, 05:37 PM
455 cals - pffft. Amateur. I go over by a thousand at least.

Glad you had fun.

What do you usually eat for cheat day? Do you have anything in particular that you like to treat yourself to? I think I'll have a cinnamon bun next week (this week's cheat day is barely over and I'm already planning the next...).

Built
07-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Honestly, I usually just eat more of what I usually eat, plus a few desserts.
I could quite easily load up on natty PB and apples and make up an extra thousand calories.

I love dessert, especially my own, homemade. I'm also a big fan of donuts.

Or sometimes, it's Thai coconut curry with chicken and rice.

Mmmm... or butter chicken with naan....

Jennikins
07-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Today has been a decent off day. My hamstrings and glutes are hurting a bit today, so it's a good thing there's no running. Also, I had very little energy today, so again - glad there's no running.

I kinda cheated and weighed myself this morning. I know that it's not a good thing to be obsessed with your weight and all, but I'm just eager to see if what I'm doing is working. I was 119 lbs, so things are looking good. No sense in beating up the scale yet. :) We'll have a formal value on saturday.

We just got back from the grocery store. I saw a lot of things I wanted. Nothing I needed - just all wants. It's a bit scary to think that I've been "trained" to eat all this junk food that's around. I honestly tried to eat decently when I was given the choice years ago, but I guess I didn't do a very good job. I'm not fat, but maybe that's only because I have a fast metabolism. I made a comment to Chris about all the junky things I wanted at the store, and wondered why I wasn't 200 lbs. "Fast metabolism" - that's apparently all I can chalk it up to.

I don't really believe it though. I didn't regularly eat chips or bars, or drink soft drink. I really think that things have gotten harder since moving in with Chris and his parents. They have chips in their cupboard, cola in their fridge, and they buy cookies. :eek: Chris and I lived together for 6 months (moved here in February), and we never bought stuff like that. I liked granola bars though - had one every day for work snack. For work meal I had a peanut butter sandwich or a canned ham sandwich - something like that. I love juice though, we always had juice (I miss it). When we had movie night, we'd have popcorn or a bag of chips. I actually bought my very first 2 litre of cola a little before we moved out.. after the ones his parents gave us ran out. Tsk tsk tsk. Chris doesn't drink cola.. good on him.

Oh.. then there's the fact that I LOVE to bake. Fudge, chocolate chip cookies, rocky road, cinnamon buns, garlic bread, and bread (I got pans for my bday) are my favorites. I haven't opened my recipe box for a while. Saturday used to be baking day. (Men want a woman who can cook.. and when they get one they won't eat it. *grr* j/k)

It's hard to find a balance that will work for me right now. I want to eat nice nutritious things, but at the same time I want to bake cookies and eat them ALL.

Dumb society - so enraptured with food. Now I feel deprived even though I'm uber-privileged. Oh well, I've chosen this path. If I really wanted to eat the li'l container of pudding, I could. I just choose not to.

defcon
07-22-2005, 07:31 AM
It's hard to find a balance that will work for me right now. I want to eat nice nutritious things, but at the same time I want to bake cookies and eat them ALL.

Save this type of eating for cheat day's during a bulk :P

Jennikins
07-22-2005, 04:20 PM
WOOH! Just finished my run for today. It was the first day of week 3 in my interval plan. Today's intervals:

1.5 min run, 1.5 min walk, 3 min run, 3 min walk - repeat once

*All intervals are sandwiched between stretches, warm-ups, and cool-downs with your choice of crispy or original fries.

Anyway.. I'm very pleased with my progress in cardio. Three weeks ago I couldn't run 3 minutes, let alone 2 set of 3 minutes with li'l runs in between. I honestly didn't think I would be able to run the last 3 minute stretch, and I even told myself this. But, it's amazing what the human body and mind can do when working together. I just told myself to keep moving, and it worked. Very pleased. :)

defcon
07-22-2005, 04:23 PM
*All intervals are sandwiched between stretches, warm-ups, and cool-downs with your choice of crispy or original fries.

lol. I'll take the chicken flavoured ones.

Jennikins
07-23-2005, 07:45 AM
So I weighed myself this morning. I was 118 lbs, which is great. That means I lost about 2.5 lbs in three weeks. I think my caloric intake is at a good place then. So I'll be keeping everything as it is now. :)

Chris weighed in too, and he thinks he's losing too much weight too quickly (the fella above me.. see his sig?). So he gets to eat more food. Yay!

I still have measurements to do. I don't expect much change in those yet, but we'll see.

Edit: I forgot I was going to mention this, but here it is:

I did my body fat percentage calculations, and figured with 30% body fat at 120 lbs, I was 84 lbs LBM and 36 lbs of fat. So, if I wanted to get down to 20% body fat (I believe this is a good goal amount), I would have to go down to 105 lbs, and that's assuming no muscle loss. But to me, 105 lbs is TINY. So I guess after a while I'll plateau or have to bulk, or do something crazy. I don't have a whole lot of weight to lose (some people might tell me I have none to lose), so I'm going to have to change things up pretty soon. It's just a matter of what/how to change.

Jennikins
07-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Shoulder/Tricep/Bicep Day

This is the second time doing this routine, and I did a little bit better that last time. Added a few reps here and there. Not bad considering I'm cutting. :)

Shoulder Press - 35x9, 35x8
Did an extra rep for the first set.. yey.

Seated DB Press - 7.5x10, 7.5x11
This is a new lift, started last week. I added 2 reps to the first set, 3 to the last.

Standing Lat Raises - 5x12, 5x12
New lift. Added 4 reps to set 1, 2 to set 2.

Close Grip BP - 42.5x10, 45x7
Been doing this one all along, but this week I increased weight by 2.5 lbs on both sets. Reps on second set dropped by one. Nothing major. I will do 45 for both sets next week.

French Press - 22.5x12, 25x8
New lift. Went up by 2.5 on each set. Reps for set 1 went up 4, set 2 went down 2. Next week I'll do 25 for both sets.

DB Bicep Curls - 12.5x8, 12.5x8
Same weight. Added 2 reps to first set. I really like these. I have a bunch of 2.5 lbs on a 2.5 lb DB - it looks like I'm lifting a lot. :P

Hammer Curls - 12.5x8
Yay.. added a rep.

Static Hold - 110x43 seconds
Added 5 lbs to this one, held it for about the same amount of time as the 105 done last week.

I did all of these lifting to fatigue, or pretty darn close. I never did that last week, and I find doing it this way is more useful for gauging how much I can lift and when to increase/decrease weight.

defcon
07-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Weights looking good. Congrats on the weight loss also, don't get too small! :P

Jennikins
07-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Run Day

Today's run was same as last day's:

And we had to do it in the rain! I really liked it though; it was so cool, compared to the heat that we've had to run in lately. Anyway, the run was completed without me dying, so that's always a good thing. Pleased with my progress. :)

defcon
07-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Run Day

Today's run was same as last day's:

And we had to do it in the rain! I really liked it though; it was so cool, compared to the heat that we've had to run in lately. Anyway, the run was completed without me dying, so that's always a good thing. Pleased with my progress. :)

The rain sucked! My coat made me overheat and almost die.

Jennikins
07-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Chest/Back Day
Please note I'm going by memory for these. I know the weights are right, but the reps may be off by one. Nothing big. :)

Bench Press - 47.5x9, 47.5x8
Added a rep to first set.

Low incline DB Press - 15x12, 17.5x8
Added 2.5 lbs to each set, reps still decent.

Dips - 0x9, 0x8

Deadlifts - 95x10, 105x8
So I tried fixing my form on these, and Chris says that I did better then before. I also got a PR for these! YAY!

Shrugs - 115x8
Added 10 lbs, to make a new PR!

Bentover Rows - 35x10, 40x8
I usually do upright rows, but Chris says that bentover rows are better as a back workout, so I changed them today. Trying to gauge weight. First set was way too easy, last set was pretty good.

I got a call from my doctor today. I had blood work done last week and she wants to go over the results with me. I'm thinking that I'm iron-deficient again. And I'm hoping that's all there is. *crosses fingers* So we're going in on thursday, which just happens to be off day AND cheat day. What a treat! I'm planning on going to DQ and getting one of those fancy new banana thingies. Mmmm.

dissipate
07-26-2005, 07:11 AM
hey.. looks like you're doing pretty well jennikins.

you love to bake??? oh i gotta live with you!!!! i'll eat everything you bake mmmm and get fatty lol.

hope the results from the blood test will be fine on thurs.

keep it up! :)

Jennikins
07-26-2005, 10:41 AM
hey.. looks like you're doing pretty well jennikins.

you love to bake??? oh i gotta live with you!!!! i'll eat everything you bake mmmm and get fatty lol.

hope the results from the blood test will be fine on thurs.

keep it up! :)

Thanks for the encouragement. :) And yes, you'd get quite fatty. :p I'm considering making rocky road for cheat day.. mmmm. (Only 2 more days!)

Jennikins
07-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Week 3, Run 3

The last run of this week is now over. It was raining quite a bit today. We got SOAKED! But I like the rain, so no matters to me. :)

Anyway, during the last 3 minute run today, I couldn't take it and stopped after only 2 minutes. I took 15s to catch my breath, and then to make up for my "cheating", I ran my last minute plus an extra 15s. So, no guilt. :)

Chris did really well. On the last 3 minute run, he ran for FIVE minutes! I was a bit bitter.. he pwned me! :p

BUT I win today! A month ago I was kinda upset when I discovered that I no longer fit into 2 of my tighter pairs of jeans (no surprise that one of them is Chris' favorite!). And today I tried one of them on.. and I'm wearing them now! Yay!

On another note, we start Week 4 on friday. *cue ominous music* The interval for week 4:

run 3 min, walk 1.5 min, run 5 min, walk 2.5 min - repeat once

Eek! Two 5 minute runs. I don't know if I'll be up to the task. Once again, time will tell. Chris said he doesn't think he'll be able to do it either, but I think after his valiant performance today, he's no longer allowed to complain. :p

ericg
07-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Nice work fitting into the jeans! I am sure Chris will be pleased.

Weights are looking nice as well as the cardio! Good luck with next weeks intervals.

Jennikins
07-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Leg Day!

Squats - 65x14, 75x10
I'm still working on my form for these, and I found the first set a bit too light (14 reps!), so I moved up. Chris spotted me and I was able to do 6 with pretty good form. I couldn't do any more (read: I fell down), so I finished them up with 4 more at near-good form. A work in progress.

Lunges - 65x9, 70x9
I did db lunges last time, but I decided to go back to bb lunges. I just like them more. Went up in weight and reps. I hate lunges because of the lack of balance I have, but I love them for how they make me (my legs) feel. :p

Leg Curls - 30x9, 30x9
Yay! PR for reps with these! My PR for weight is 35x6. Very pleased. :) I know my hamstrings will hate me tomorrow. Love it!

SLDL - 85x9, 85x9+
I'm trying to learn the form for these, and I did my first set with not-so-good form. The second set I had Chris adjust my back for the right arch, and did 4. Then I tried it by myself and did a few more. They weren't exactly right, so I was adjusted again and did a few more. Then I was tired, so I moved on. Will try again next week.

Calf Raises - 85x10, 95x10x3
Increased weight by 10 lbs. All good here.

Leg Extensions - 85x8x2
I haven't done these in the past 2 weeks because they were not a part of my new routine. After looking at past routines, I decided to add them in because they were the only exercise I used to do that I didn't anymore that I liked. Weight was what I usually do.

Static Hold - 115x32s
These I do because I tend to lose my grip when doing shrugs. So far they've been helping, I think. I've been able to go up in shrugs without dropping the bar. (I used to be stuck at 105 because after 5 reps I'd lose my grip.)

And also, I'm making bread today. I let it rise while we did our workout, and right afterwards I had to punch it down and put it in the pan. A woman's work is never done. :)

Built
07-27-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey - great workout!

Couple suggestions for you:

(Oh, and I prefer barbell to dumbbell for lunges, too. Darned hips...)

Try this order for leggies:
Squats (compound)
Leg extensions (concentration)
SLDL (compound)
Leg curls (concentration)
Calf raises (alternate between longer sets of seated, shorter sets of standing, maybe one week seated, one week standing? Make sure you pause for at least two seconds at the bottom of EACH REP)

And, at the end... instead of lunges ...

walking lunges. I do double-lengths of the basketball court with a barbell, three "sets", with a minute or two break in between.

And keep working on that SLDL form - it'll come. I'd suggest trying it as RDL - REALLY lean back with your hips, stick your ass WAY out, start off the lowest pin in the cage instead of off the floor.

Nice job!

Built
07-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Oh, and get yourself some straps. I can't hold what I can deadlift, and I really don't care if I develop massive forearm and grip strength, myself.

Jennikins
07-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the input, Built.

I've reordered my sets how you suggested, and incidentally, my lunges are walking lunges. I just never specified.

I have a couple questions/concerns though:
We don't work out at a gym, so I don't have access to a cage. Could you give me an idea where the bar should be when I start off? Also, for the same reason, I don't have access to whatever would provide a seated calf raise. Any ideas for improvisation?

Oh, and get yourself some straps. I can't hold what I can deadlift, and I really don't care if I develop massive forearm and grip strength, myself.

When I get to that point, I'll consider it. Right now I can lift it pretty well, and I still have bugs to work out before I start increasing weight.

Jennikins
07-27-2005, 12:44 PM
I have been reading a lot of threads lately (my new hobby), and one form of training that interests me quite a bit is HIIT. Chris used to do it a couple years ago when he first started working out, and he says it's really good. Lately he's been talking about adding it to our routine. While I'd like to do this, I'm not really sure how/when to implement it.

Right now our schedule is 3 days lifting/3 days running/1 off day per week. I suppose we could change one run day to a HIIT day, or add a HIIT day to our training cycle to make 8 days. (Rather do the former.) When we start, I'd say it would be best to do short sub-maximal sprinting intervals and work up to longer/more intense ones after a few sessions.

I'm also guessing there's no bad time to start HIIT. I don't have the greatest running base ever, but HIIT would be pretty much independant from this and would develop independantly also. No matter when you start, it'll be new to you and you would have to build up gradually.

So, maybe HIIT will enter our lives soon. :p

ericg
07-27-2005, 02:33 PM
I like the first plan for adding in HIIT as well. Your cardio sessions are almost HIIT, cept for the intensity part, if you think about it. Depending on your conditioning, start off with 10s high intensity sprints (80-100% full speed, again, depending on your conditioning) and 50s walks...work your way up so your high intensity work is 20-30s and walks are down to 40-30s. Maybe after your conditioning really improves you can replace the walks with jogs! I started off at 5 minutes worth of intervals (not including warmup - light jog).

As far as calf training: When i trained at home i balanced one foot up on a step, slightly bent the other leg's knee (so you cant cheat), held a DB in one hand (preferable the same hand as the calf you are training), balanced myself against the wall with the other hand, then performed the movement.

Built
07-27-2005, 04:20 PM
I think you can also do 'em seated with a couple plates on your lap and your feet on a step.

Killer article with info on training calves: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=172

HIIT: I'd start it easy - I do mine on two treadmills. Looks kinda funny LOL!

Treadmill 1: 3.5 mph, 10% grade (fast incline walk)
Treadmill 2: anywhere from 7.5-9.0 MPH (start with about 7 MPH) flat grade.

I warm up for about 3 minutes on the slow treadmill, then do 30 seconds of running on the fast one, 30 seconds of walking on the slow one, jumping back and forth.

I do 8 sprints in total, then finish with about 5-10 minutes of fast walking on the slow treadmill.

I like doing it this way because you can ease into the sprints and monitor how fast you go. You can't do this on a track - it's harder to "self police". It's NOT something you can jump right into.

Jennikins
07-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Cheat Day/Off Day/Yesterday

Yesterday was the first day since I started my journal that I never posted anything! Eek. I guess yesterday was off day in more than one way. I think I'll make up for it now, though. :)

First, and most importantly, yesterday was cheat day. And, boy, what a cheat day! My breakfast was a slice homemade bread, toasted with *gasp* margarine (and my egg and cottage cheese, of course). When we went to get gas, I had a 25c bag of swedish berries. :drooling:

Then we were on our way to the doctor's, where I was told I had low iron and low B12. So, now I have supplements to take, and I'll be having my blood re-tested in a month. She's also going to check for liver and kidney function, and blood glucose, to make sure everything else is alright.

After this, it was off to MUN to drop something off. Then, we went to DQ and I had a small blizzard! In my opinion, they should also have tiny servings because that was so much ice cream! So good though. :)

Umm... then we went to Mom's. My old room is now used for storage. :( What a mess! I tried looking for a book (The Exorcist), for Chris' younger brother. I couldn't find it, so I brought home "The Chronicles of Narnia" instead. This is the reason I didn't write yesterday - I was busy finishing the first book. I love the series, and I last read it was in was in grade 7 or so, so it's nice to read them again. Anyway, Chris' brother is also reading them. I have succeeded in providing reading material anyway.

I also brought home the "Super Game Boy", which is an adaptor used to play Gameboy games on the SNES. (I love Nintendo, and I still have the original. :D) BTW, my record for Tetris is 198 lines. :p Still trying for 200. So, that consumed some time last night, too.

Oh, and while at Mom's I have 3 tiny candy canes (left over from Christmas! but I love them when they're gooey..) and a ciabatta bun with pb.

And now we come back home, where I had 6" BMT for supper (no mayo.. yeah like that made a difference :p). Then grocery time (got spinach and natty pb!!) and then I made rocky road!! Which I ate half of (consisting of 1/8 c margarine, 1/2 c choc chips, 1/4 c pb, 1/2 bag mini marshmallows)! :redface:

And then I brushed my teeth really well, and went to bed.

What a day! I never fitdayed any of my food - I was scared of what I'd eaten. And to think, last week I only went over by 500 cal. Anyway, I'm happy to be back to clean eating today.

EDIT: And thanks to Built and ericq for the tips. I'll try those next calf day, and we're planning on adding HIIT next week.

Jennikins
07-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Week 4, Run 1

Just finished this week's first run. Interval (in minutes):

3 run, 1.5 walk, 5 run, 2.5 walk - repeat once

This week is pretty hard. So hard, we expect, that we won't be upgrading to week 5 on schedule. Since we are hoping to add HIIT next week, this will also delay our moving on.

I completed the first set of runs without too much difficulty (very happy with this - I wasn't expecting to finish the first 5 minute run). During the second 3 minute run, I ran for 1m30, breaked for 15s, then ran for the remaining 1m15s. During the last run, I was extremely worn out. I stopped after 1m30s and took a 45s break, then ran for 1m45s, then took a 15s break, then finished the last 45s.

I never mentioned this on leg day, but while doing my walking lunges, I think I pulled my left glute (funny, haha.. I know). During my run, it was quite uncomfortable, and it's still being a bit of a pain in the.. (yeah, yeah, very creative). I hope it isn't like it next time. I'm thinking maybe an off day would help healing, although I just had one.

defcon
07-29-2005, 06:31 PM
The runs were hard :| I thought I was gonna die! Good luck on the weigh in tomorrow, don't know how much of your extra water weight will be gone away by then. :P

Built
07-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Owies! Sorry about the pain in the, um, yeah. :(

Now, about this margarine thing.

NO MORE MARGARINE.

Okay? Butter is fine, but no margarine. That crap has trans fats. Not good.

I eat about a tablspoon of butter a day, along with my other natural fats. Small amounts of natural saturated fats are good for endocrine function.

B-12 is sometimes hard to absorb from food. I inject myself with 1CC every couple of weeks. Cheap insurance. I just purchase it OTC from the drugstore, and shove it into a delt with an insulin needle.

If you need it, you feel GREAT the next day!

Jennikins
07-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Yeah I know margarine is bad.. how about the trans fat free stuff? (I love toast with it.) I actually never had butter before, but I've heard nice things about it and have always wanted to try it.

I can't say I'm feeling great yet, but I guess pill form isn't as direct as a shot, so it may take a little while. Can't wait to get over this lethargy, though.

Built
07-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Stick with butter. It's delicious. Trans fats are plasticised oil - your body doesn't know what to do with it. Not something I'd consider putting in my body.

Just go get an ampoule of B-12 and some slin pins. I pay 6 bucks for 10 doses, and the slin pins cost two bucks for a pack of 10.

Jennikins
07-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Shoulder/Tricep/Bicep Day

Shoulder Press - 35x12, 37.5x7
Went up 3 reps on first set, added 2.5 lbs on second set. :)

Seated DB Press - 7.5x12, 10x10
Added 2 reps to first set, went up 2.5 lbs on second set.

Standing Lat Raises - 7.5x8, 7.5x8
Raised weight by 2.5 lbs. Reps dropped by 4.

Close Grip BP - 45x9, 45x8
Increased weight 2.5 lbs on first set. Same for 2nd, but added a rep.

French Press - 22.5x12, 25x8
Went up by 2.5 on each set. Reps stayed the same.

DB Bicep Curls - 12.5x10, 12.5x8
Stayed the same.

Hammer Curls - 12.5x9
Added a rep.

Static Hold - 115x37 seconds
Held for an extra 5 seconds, compared to last time.

I bought butter today. It has a lot more flavour than margarine - but it's a lot more expensive. I don't think I'll be having it anymore after it's gone, then. It reminds me of popcorn, since that's the only place I've tasted butter flavour before.

Built
07-30-2005, 06:27 PM
It's not THAT expensive! How much do you think you'll eat?

Jennikins
07-30-2005, 06:33 PM
It's not THAT expensive! How much do you think you'll eat?

Practically none. I kinda just wanted to try it, and now that I have, it's not something I can't live without. I'll just have peanut butter toast. Plus, I don't have my own money so I feel guilty when my food-providers put stars over all the flyers to get all the deals.. then I go buy butter. I know.. :rolleyes:

Jennikins
07-31-2005, 04:01 PM
Week 4, Run 2

Today our run ran a little differently. Lately the weather has been cooler, so we've been running in the afternoon. Today was hot, so we decided to run in the evening. Also I had a cup of coffee before the run, thinking it might help stave off the tiredness I've been feeling. Anyway, today's run was bad.

I was only able to do the first 2 runs, and I did so little of the last 2 that they're hardly worth mentioning. I felt really yucky. Like, not normal-run-yucky, but body-shutting-down yucky.

Tomorrow I'm off on hiatus. Chris and I will be hiking the first part of the east coast trail, and then I'm going to visit my mom because my cousin and best friend are going to be arriving in there some time this week. I see clubbing in my future. :) Anyway, I'm going to be gone a week, and while I'll try to eat alright, I'm not going to be crazy and bring all my "weird" food out there. Er.. maybe some of it. Should be a fun week.

Built
07-31-2005, 04:02 PM
Have a great time! It's only a week - enjoy, and get back on the program when you come home.

defcon
07-31-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't know what to do about next weeks runs. Can we really move ahead in the program?

Hope you have fun on your trip, see you when you get back! :)

Jennikins
08-01-2005, 06:15 PM
So I'm in town now, and Chris and I had a very successful first hike! We hiked in 2 hours, and then we turned around and hiked back out again - another 2 hours. It was quite uneventful - no falling down cliffs, no scratches, no scrapes, no broken bones. And no sunburns! Yay! Sunscreen = good. Today I ate pretty normally, but since I didn't measure anything I didn't fitday it. I'll try and approximate everything this week, seeing how I'm not going be be eating a lot of my normal stuff.

ericg
08-02-2005, 05:35 AM
Sounds like a fun time. :thumbup:

Back at it this week??

Jennikins
08-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Last night was a pretty decent night. I went downtown with some people I grew up with. Pretty much on my feet for 6 hours, though. The 4 hour hike the day before was bad enough.. last night just squeezed the blood out of the turnips that were my legs. :P I was originally planning on doing my run today, but I'll do it tomorrow instead.

And on another note, today was cheat day. And I don't have my food coach Chris with here, so I did very badly. So badly, in fact, I made myself sick with tiny cinnamon buns. I was planning on having chicken breast for supper, but I ate so many of the darn little things, I still don't have room for it and it's 10 o'clock. I felt guilty and went to the store and bought broccoli, cauliflower and cottage cheese. I'll eat well tomorrow. The great thing is that you can eat a fair bit of "good" food and it never becomes sickly. But after today I don't even want to look at another one of those cinnamon buns (and there are 4 left in the fridge). So I won't be tempted.