PDA

View Full Version : FITNESS BET AT WORK -- how would you win? and why did I take a bad turn

teege
07-14-2005, 10:55 AM
THIS IS LONG, but PLEASE read and help me out!!

At work, we have had a bet going since week 1 of summer that would last 12 weeks.

Each week we measure Weight, Fat%, water% with a scale and come up with our lean mass, and fat weight off of those three numbers using simple math calculations.

Each week, your percent CHANGE in %fat, and lean mass is then calculated...add your decrease in fat with lean mass gained and that is your total improvement.

If that number is not greater than 0 youhave to put into the pot.

My first weigh-in was:

Weight: 153.9
BF: 14.70%
water: 66.60%

lbm: 28.7793
FAT: 22.6233

SO, that started 6 weeks ago and I am in the lead! My strategy at first was to shed all the fat I have off my body. Coming from a Cross Country background that wasnt hard and I started running.

3 weeks later I was:

weight: 146.2
BF: 13.2%4
water: 66.40%

LBM: 29.8248
FAT: 19.2984

This was great, I was destroying EVERYONE. I was running 4x/week. Soccer 1x. Tennis 2x. Lifting 3x (doing sets of 10 reps)

Ever since that though, it never registered my BF below 12 and I think its just because that scale is off (there is an active-person option, but for this comp. we arent allowed to use it)

So, I decided to just bulk up.

Now my numbers are:

weight: 151.4
BF: 14.60%
water: 65.6
lbm:29.9772
Fat:22.1044

Why am I gaining so much Fat and not enough lbm?

My diet is so strict.

7am:
Protein cereal
banana
atkins milk
protein shake

9:30am
WW Bagel + Natty CC
Almonds + Q-smart (f/c/p = 6/6/14)

1200pm
Tuna
2 Slices 12grain Bread
FF Cheese
Apple

2:30pm
WW Pasta
Yogurt
FF Cottage Cheese

4:30pm
Protein Shake
Sb Diet Bar (f/c/p=5/10/10)

WORKOUT

7:00pm
Dinner which includes:
Salmon,Chicken,other fish...

9:00pm
2xveggie burger + 1 slc bread

10:30
pre-bedtime
cottage cheese

It usually comes out to:
3000 cals

38% prot.
36%carb
26%fat

WORKOUTS:
everything in 3x6, 3x3, or 3x8

MON:
Bench
Flies
DIPS (2x10)
Decline
Leg Press
Hamstring Curls
ABS

TUE:
RUN 3m (hard) or sprints

WED:
Low Row
High Row
Preachers
Bar Curls

THUR:
SOCCER

FRI
Skull Crushers
Mil. Press
Inc. Bench
Leg PRess
Ham Cuirls

Sun:
RUN 3m (hard)

SO.

Why have I gotten worse. I feel like I have gotten stronger on my lifting...so i dont get it...

What would you do to win this competition? What would you change if you were me???

WBBIRL
07-14-2005, 11:35 AM
For one you should drop your cals alittle, for 2 your way off if you thinking your lean body mass is only 20 pounds... unless you subtract your water (which you shouldnt). Dont try to lose water either, drink atleast 64oz every day and try for double that. Your doing very little direct leg work and almost no back work. DONT neglect your legs, squat man. In your position you wont lose much percentage in fat in just three months because your already leaner then average. Dont be so cardio crazed either, its all about calories... im not saying sit around like a lump either but make sure your eating good. You could cut out alteast one meal and see what that does for you. On any kind of bulk, fat gain will be there even if its minimal you will gain fat. If the aim of this bet is to lose fat then dont bulk at all.

But Ive never done much of either bulking or cutting, someone else may be able to help you better.

Built
07-14-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't think anyone could do much better.

Cardio isn't all that great for cutting. You DO need some, generally, but it's really all about the diet.

I would concentrate on the heavy compound lifts, and drop calories by say 15% if I were you - but not from the fats or the protein. Mostly from the carbs. Your fats are already on the low side, and you'll need those for proper endocrine support while cutting (good for test production, which'll help you lean out), especially saturated and monounsaturated fats (ie animal fat and stuff like olive oil).

D Breyer
07-14-2005, 12:43 PM
good luck man

Unholy
07-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Also those damn scales are never right.

Manveet
07-14-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't think anyone could do much better.

Cardio isn't all that great for cutting. You DO need some, generally, but it's really all about the diet.

I would concentrate on the heavy compound lifts, and drop calories by say 15% if I were you - but not from the fats or the protein. Mostly from the carbs. Your fats are already on the low side, and you'll need those for proper endocrine support while cutting (good for test production, which'll help you lean out), especially saturated and monounsaturated fats (ie animal fat and stuff like olive oil).

:withstupi

Although it is kinda weird that you haven't gained even a ounce of LBM since you started your bulk.

teege
07-14-2005, 12:50 PM
yea, which is my biggest concern..

Its not even that I'm gaining muscle AND fat at the same time...seems to be only fat. I thought I was eating right, and I was lifting satisfactorially..hrm.. :ninja:

Titanium_Jim
07-14-2005, 01:06 PM
WORKOUTS:
everything in 3x6, 3x3, or 3x8

MON:
Bench
Flies
DIPS (2x10)
Decline
Leg Press
Hamstring Curls
ABS

TUE:
RUN 3m (hard) or sprints

WED:
Low Row
High Row
Preachers
Bar Curls

THUR:
SOCCER

FRI
Skull Crushers
Mil. Press
Inc. Bench
Leg PRess
Ham Cuirls

Sun:
RUN 3m (hard)
Where's the squats and deads? Not even SLDL for hamstrings?

Manveet
07-14-2005, 02:24 PM
yea, which is my biggest concern..

Its not even that I'm gaining muscle AND fat at the same time...seems to be only fat. I thought I was eating right, and I was lifting satisfactorially..hrm.. :ninja:

Well, if you're gaining fat and zero muscle I would look at your training regime. Obviously you have the calories there to support some kind of growth, but just not the right kind.

You should really be sticking to compound movements, and making sure you are progressing with the weights.

Guido
07-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Yep. Definitely not enough emphasis on legs and back. Those have the largest amount of muscle mass in your body. Do some deadlifts, squats, SLDL's, pullups (weighted if possible), and you should gain plenty of lean mass.

Hatred
07-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Must suck to only have 30lbs LBM.

Unholy
07-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Yeah Bridget the Midget style.