PDA

View Full Version : How much money do you spend each month on food and supplements for yourself?

flabbybones
07-14-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm just curious. I'm currently spending about $200 a month on food and supplements for myself. For food I buy a lot of frozen veggies (corn, carrots, peas, spinach, ocra, broccoli, cauliflower), fresh fruit (apples, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, grapefruits, dried apricots), 1% cottage cheese, nonfat plain yogurt, natural pb, almonds, olives, no salt canned tomatoes, chicken breasts, Boca soy meat, skim milk, 46 cent cans of generic tuna, brown rice, lima/pinto/kidney beans, etc. The only supplements I've been taking so far are fish oil caps and protein whey. I'd like to find a way to add creatine, a good multivitamin, and a switch to Nitrean without going over $200 on my monthly budget.

getfit
07-14-2005, 06:54 PM
enough! i buy food almost everyday or every other day plus my supplements all my money goes there

flabbybones
07-14-2005, 07:01 PM
enough! i buy food almost everyday or every other day plus my supplements all my money goes there

Are you addicted to grocery shopping? I have a friend at work who goes to Walmart once or twice a day. I have no idea why anyone would want to do this.

getfit
07-14-2005, 07:03 PM
addicted !well i eat enough so my fridge empties out fast! and i don't like carrying 10 bags at a time so i shop daily on what i need :)

Dedicated
07-14-2005, 07:42 PM
It seems healthy foods are cheaper than unhealthy foods luckily.

I live with 2 other people and we total about $100 to $150 a week. They eat alot of junky foods though, they think I'm nuts when they see me using measuring cups lol. I take alot of crap for it heh.

twm
07-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Glancing at the receipts for this month so far.. $301.18. That being said, I eat at least $500 worth of food per month, no supplements included.

Probably in the neighborhood of $700 with supps.

CarlP
07-14-2005, 07:51 PM
It seems healthy foods are cheaper than unhealthy foods luckily.

I live with 2 other people and we total about $100 to $150 a week. They eat alot of junky foods though, they think I'm nuts when they see me using measuring cups lol. I take alot of crap for it heh.

When you squat them and throw them across the room, they'll understand.

D Breyer
07-14-2005, 08:58 PM
heh, my parents buy my food and supps :evillaugh

dissipate
07-14-2005, 08:59 PM
a lot :( i'd go to the supermarket everyday too if i could! love looking at food mmmmmmm.

ddegroff
07-14-2005, 09:35 PM
i spend like $80 a week to start out with and i go to the store when i need to get something else. When i take supplements i spend about $100 bucks at the begining of each month.

Unholy
07-14-2005, 09:43 PM
too much.

Built
07-15-2005, 12:02 AM
I only notice how weird my grocery orders look when I see other people in front of me and behind me in line.

In front: ice cream, pop, chips, frozen dinner, canned soup, cereal, bananas...

Behind: burritos, soda, juice, cereal bars

Me, suddenly aware that "in front" and "behind" are staring...

2 huge flats of jumbo eggs (20-egg flats)
6 tubs of lowfat cottage cheese
3 tubs of dry curd cottage cheese
oatmeal
the entire stock of natty PB when it's on sale
3 jumbo packs of whatever meat's on sale
huge bag of broccoli
huge bag of green beans
apples
dates
yams
onions
garlic

Canadian Crippler
07-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Roughly:

$100-$120 a week on food
$40-$50 on supplements

FighterInSnatch
07-15-2005, 12:16 AM
I only notice how weird my grocery orders look when I see other people in front of me and behind me in line.

2 huge flats of jumbo eggs (20-egg flats)
6 tubs of lowfat cottage cheese
3 tubs of dry curd cottage cheese
oatmeal
the entire stock of natty PB when it's on sale
3 jumbo packs of whatever meat's on sale
huge bag of broccoli
huge bag of green beans
apples
dates
yams
onions
garlic

Thats awesome. I love buying my health nut foods. :)

thajeepster
07-15-2005, 01:27 AM

I have the same problem... the guys at the register always stare at me funny because im in there every other day buying eggs/veggies/chicken etc etc... I really gotta start buying a whole bunch at a time, but I get in the mood for a certain meal, then I have to go buy the ingredients... I hate eating the same thing over and over.

thajeepster
07-15-2005, 01:28 AM
to the original poster, I spend about 80 bucks a week on food, and about 150 a month on supplements so around 400 bucks a month total.

Staples are :

frozen veggies
frozen chicken breasts
tons of eggs
tuna
fresh veggies
milk
cottage cheese
lots of pb, I go through a jar a week easy, maybe two.

Dedicated
07-15-2005, 06:10 AM

Hehe yea I love that. I bought 50 cans of tuna once and the lady was like, "like fish huh?", I told her it was "for my cats" lol. Hahaha. And yea people always buy junk, so terrible. I end up staring at other peoples carts since people buy so much junk lol, frozen pizzas, fries, sugary cereals, soda, etc etc..

Shopping is definitely an experience. Every once in a while I'll see some big bodybuilder looking dude buying frozen salmon and peanut butter though, and that makes me feel not so weird:)

tholian8
07-15-2005, 06:28 AM
We have 2 people in the household; I'm on a rather severe cutter, she's on a PSMF, so it's not like we're eating truckloads of food. We have 1 or 2 cheat meals per week, cooked at home. Still, though, for each person this costs at least £70/week (roughly $125 USD).

And no, I'm not including the liquor bill. We're not getting much of that anyway, these days. ;)

ryuage
07-15-2005, 06:32 AM
buy in bulk itll save ya..

TOBART
07-15-2005, 06:58 AM
Every month I go through 13lbs of weight gain powder ($80 cdn) and 500ml of udo's 3-6-9 oil($20 cdn), vitamins creatine and dextrose are cheap and the quantity I buy them lasts nearly a year so we'll disregard that.

I go grocery shopping every other day it seems like, there is always one or two things I need and I come home with a few bags. Spend around $100 a week.

Bruise Brubaker
07-15-2005, 08:27 AM

You consider bananas bad?

.maximum.
07-15-2005, 08:31 AM
i went grocery shopping with my ex the other day, and was amazed at the crap she was buying for our kids...4 bags of doritos, loads of frozen dinners, cookies, burritos, mac & cheese...every time she put something else in the cart I would just sigh...i told her she needs to feed the kids better before they end up with diabetes (i have type II)...ugh

sorry not trying to derail the thread...

I spend about $50/month on protien powder, and about $50/week on food...i'm still cutting :-)

getfit
07-15-2005, 08:32 AM
oh my that's alot of eggs! :p

tholian8
07-15-2005, 08:43 AM

Some people get nasty blood-sugar spikes from bananas and are better off without them. Built might be one of those people. I surely am. :)

ReelBigFish
07-15-2005, 10:36 AM
I don't get the weird looks fromt the check out people cause I shop at Wal-Mart and use the self check out. :) But i do get weird looks while walking around with 5 containers of cottage cheese, 2.5dzn eggs, 2 containers of oats. and a 5lb bag of frzn. veggies.

spencerjrus
07-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Luckily I have health concious parents who still pay for my groceries, I know the bill for all of us is over $1000 a month though, organic food is expensive. :(

J450n
07-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Far, faaaar too much.

But then i live in 'Rip Off Britain™', where eggs aren't really all that cheap, esp when buying large amounts, (the average box of 6 large costing £0.89p), turkey and chicken fillets of reasonable quality don't come cheap, nor average sized tubs of protein powder that last all of 2 weeks costing £30-40. Loads of fun.

sharkall2003
07-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Well I spend about 80 to 120 a month on supplements and my parents by the other food. They don't eat health so I have to pick through everything we eat.

Built
07-15-2005, 11:07 AM

No. They're a pretty normal food. It was more that for the person in front of me, that's probably the healthiest thing they're eating.

(I do find they can mess with my blood sugar, but that wasn't my point here. :) )

VasDeferens
07-15-2005, 11:17 AM
I never get weird looks from anyone at the grocery.
no one cares what I buy :(

bigsethmeister
07-15-2005, 11:34 AM

:thumbup:

lol that looks just like my frige does