PDA

View Full Version : You gotta be kiddin me... (PWO shake question)

darius19
07-15-2005, 01:52 PM
A couple hours ago I went to the store to buy some protein bars. I walk out, and my bike is gone. Seeing how its my only way of transportation, I now must walk to the gym...its a 30 minute walk.

My question is: How can I possibly have myt PWO shake after my workout? I usualy have milk with whey and creatine, but now obv. I cant take the milk with me because it will prolly spoil. Any ideas?

BTW: Yes I did report the bike stolen but i sure as hell dont expect to get it back...too bad it was a nice bike :(

WILLGETNICE
07-15-2005, 01:55 PM
That happened to me before when I rode my bike to school totally pisses in your cheerios. Only thing I can think of at the moment is get something like MyoPlex ready to drinks, they taste really good but they're kind of expensive but they'll def travel well.

fixationdarknes
07-15-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't use milk with my PWO shake. Just water mixed with whey and dex. And sorry about the stolen bike, that sucks.

darius19
07-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Milk and chocolate whey is so good tho...do you guys think I could keep it in my bag for 90 minutes and it wouldnt go bad if I put some ice inside?

Canadian Crippler
07-15-2005, 02:09 PM
You don't need to have your PWO shake RIGHT after your workout; this has been said to be nothing but a myth. If you're dead set on it though, suck it up and use water.

Jennikins
07-15-2005, 02:14 PM
I suggest using powdered milk, just mix it up with your other powders before you go, then add water when ready. It's what we do here. :) (And sorry about your bike :()

Canadian Crippler
07-15-2005, 02:38 PM
I think the only reason he wanted the milk over water was because it made the whey taste good... Well, IMO anyways powdered milk tastes everything but good lol.

waynis
07-15-2005, 02:47 PM
either take it dry with you and use water or wait till you get home. It's not crucial that you have it immediatly after workout.

Asylum
07-15-2005, 03:26 PM
That totally sucks about your bike bro. Look at it this way....if you run home from the gym you can get your PWO shake in about 15 minutes and you can get in some cardio at the same time.... Just a thought.

Patz
07-15-2005, 03:44 PM
walmart+new bike+bike lock=$70.00

sphillip40
07-15-2005, 04:17 PM
What I do for work is to take an ice chest with sealed ice packs/bags in it. You could get a thermal lunch bag with an ice pack for your shake. Shouldn't cost more than 10 bucks (just make sure no one tries to steal it). Just a thought...

I like the jogging idea, lol.

Hockey66
07-15-2005, 04:44 PM
walmart+new bike+bike lock=$70.00

You can buy Walmart for less that $70?!>! :cool:

GMCtrk
07-15-2005, 04:48 PM
you dont want milk in your PWO anyways, it is a caseinate protein and will slow down digestion. Mix whey with water PWO

HILL
07-15-2005, 05:03 PM
just have it when you get home

ryuage
07-15-2005, 05:11 PM
you dont want milk in your PWO anyways, it is a caseinate protein and will slow down digestion. Mix whey with water PWO

if that was the case noone would use nitrean pwo

TOBART
07-15-2005, 06:04 PM
I keep a liter of milk in my backpack for 5 hours before I drink it while at work and it tastes just fine and I haven't died yet.

Sorry to hear about your bike, I had an expensive one jacked last summer while I was eating and staring out the window at it every couple minutes. If you really need a form of transportation, get a hunk of crap bike at a garage sale for like $10

Gr3mlin73
07-15-2005, 07:18 PM
What I do for work is to take an ice chest with sealed ice packs/bags in it. You could get a thermal lunch bag with an ice pack for your shake. Shouldn't cost more than 10 bucks (just make sure no one tries to steal it). Just a thought...

I like the jogging idea, lol.

:withstupi

GMCtrk
07-15-2005, 08:28 PM
if that was the case noone would use nitrean pwo

an all whey product would be better than nitrean post-work out (in theory).

Jorge Sanchez
07-15-2005, 09:03 PM
I used to work at a grocery store and they would often leave whole skids of milk out of the cooler for longer than 90 minutes and noone ever complained so I'm sure that would be fine. But if you are really concerned, when I'm at school I usually go to the gym before class, so after my workourI buy a 500mL container of milk and toss it in with the whey and drink it in class.

Shao-LiN
07-15-2005, 09:21 PM
an all whey product would be better than nitrean post-work out (in theory).

Please elaborate.

D Breyer
07-15-2005, 09:24 PM
sucks about your bike

GMCtrk
07-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Please elaborate.

whey vs. casein : digestion rates

BG5150
07-17-2005, 06:33 PM
I have a nice gym, they let me keep a gallon of milk there...

But in other instances, the common wisdom has that you have your PWO within 30-45 mins after workout.

But let me ask this: when does your workout actually end? Right after the very last set? OK, fine. What if I ride my bike home (which I do). Does it end after the ride, or is it still after the last set?

And since we are talking about getting nutrients to particular muscles, what if I do two muscle groups in one day? Say i work my chest and tri's. My chest workout ends at 2 PM. My tri workout takes me to 2:45. I ingest my protein shake 45 mins after the tri workout (for whatever reason). Does that mean I miss the anabolic window for my chest by 45 min?

CarlP
07-17-2005, 08:21 PM
I have a nice gym, they let me keep a gallon of milk there...

But in other instances, the common wisdom has that you have your PWO within 30-45 mins after workout.

But let me ask this: when does your workout actually end? Right after the very last set? OK, fine. What if I ride my bike home (which I do). Does it end after the ride, or is it still after the last set?

And since we are talking about getting nutrients to particular muscles, what if I do two muscle groups in one day? Say i work my chest and tri's. My chest workout ends at 2 PM. My tri workout takes me to 2:45. I ingest my protein shake 45 mins after the tri workout (for whatever reason). Does that mean I miss the anabolic window for my chest by 45 min?
I don't think it's that strict or extreme. Get some protein and carbs in after you're done lifting. Someone posted a link a few weeks ago to an article that basically said the "post-workout window" idea was somewhat overrated. I wish I had the link, it was pretty interesting.

BG5150
07-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Oooops. Sorry, but I thought I edited by thread above to the first couple of sentences. I posted the rest of it in the supplement forum. So please don't flame me for the duplicate post....

Unreal
07-18-2005, 09:01 AM
I also read that article, and it basically said that the PWO window can be as long as 6-8 hours. Alot of days I normally do 45-50 minutes of cardio after lifting, then 15 minute drive home, then I normally shower, dress, etc before taking in some whey/water. I really think alot of people overdue it in the details.

waynis
07-18-2005, 02:27 PM
I really think alot of people overdue it in the details.

very true and also with the shots of glucose right after workout like they have become severe hypoglycemic or something. People read muscle and fiction too much.. :rolleyes:

jack_of_all
07-18-2005, 02:37 PM
i think people worry a little (by a little i mean WAAAAAAY) too much about what type of proteins they get and when they get it.

luke77
07-19-2005, 04:19 AM
I agree that you should just take it when you get home, but if you want to take it to the gym you can mix it up the night before, freeze it, then take it out in the morning and it will be thawed by the time you are done with your workout.

bradley
07-19-2005, 04:29 AM

I would have to disagree with common wisdom, since it is not taking into account the time needed for food to digest in the gut. If you eat a meal an hour or two before lifting, then there is no need to rush home just to slam a shake. I would just eat a small meal before training (60-120 minutes), and that meal should contain all of the macronutrients. When you get home from training just have another shake/meal. The protein+high GI carbs after a workout is somewhat overstated in my humble opinion.

This is all trivial and not something I would concern myself with. Eat clean, lift and get enough sleep and you will see results.