PDA

View Full Version : I just tried Sardines for the first time...

flabbybones
07-15-2005, 07:17 PM
In my quest for the ultimate healthy diet, I decided to put caution to the wind and try something that would potentially kill my taste buds: Sardines. I found canned Sardines in Walmart (Great Value brand) with no added salt. Ingredients state Sardines and Spring Water. Here's the nutritional breakdown:

Serving size: 1 can drained (95g)
Calories: 190
Total Fat: 12g
Sat Fat: 4.5g
Cholesterol: 75mg
Sodium: 150mg
Carbs: 2g
Sugars: 0
Protein 18g
45% calcium
2% Vitamin C
10% Iron

The box has scary little googly eyed fish things on it that sent chills through my spine. I imagined opening the can to find whole, raw Sardines that would still be twitching as I pinched my nose and swallowed them whole. However, I came to find that these little Sardine guys already had their heads and tails cut off. Even though they still had ugly scales and bones insides of them, they tasted almost exactly like tuna to me. At this point I'm not even sure if it was cooked or raw. It's nothing like what I had expected. I kind of liked it.

What concerns me about Sardines vs. Tuna is protein content. Two cans of tuna equals roughly 65g protein while two cans of Sardines equals roughly 36g protein. The Tuna only has 300 calories while the Sardines have 380 calories. So basically, I have to eat twice as much Sardines (and calories) to get the same protein from tuna. Is it really worth it?

I made a little pro / con list..

Sardines pros: High in omega 3, low sodium if you get the no salt added type, rich with Calcium, scares your friends when you eat it, easy to open can

Sardines cons: Higher in calories, lower protein, somewhat more expensive (48 cents a can)

Tuna pros: High in protein, low in calories, dirt cheap source of protein (42 cents a can)

Tuna cons: Agruable risk for mercury, higher sodium unless you pay twice as much for low sodium type, not much omega 3, requires can opener

Built
07-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Low sodium isn't a "pro".

Unless you've got high blood pressure.

D Breyer
07-15-2005, 08:30 PM
lolz sardinez ar3 teh shiz

Rygel
07-15-2005, 09:23 PM
either way -to me sardines taste so much better right out of the can. IMO of course. and the easy can (good when at work) helps the idea!

flabbybones
07-16-2005, 06:21 AM
either way -to me sardines taste so much better right out of the can. IMO of course. and the easy can (good when at work) helps the idea!

I definately agree. I tried mixing it with canned tomatoes, mayo, garlic, Ms Dash, peas and carrots and it was absolutely horrible. I couldn't stomach it and ended up throwing it away. Right out of the can seems like the only way to go.

Wannabelean
07-16-2005, 06:39 AM
Gross. lol

SpecialK
07-16-2005, 09:06 AM
The bones and scales were still there? So you have to pick them all out yourself before you can eat them?

bill
07-16-2005, 09:22 AM
The bones and scales were still there? So you have to pick them all out yourself before you can eat them?
More calcium

Bruise Brubaker
07-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Eat the bones, they're edible, that's why it says in the nutritional informations that it provides 45% calcium RDA.

They do not contain much less protein than tuna, if you compare gram to gram. You guys are lucky to get so cheap tuna, here sardines are less expensive (altough those that are pretty cheap, in spring water, taste like crap).

luke77
07-19-2005, 05:30 AM
I'd choose the sardines if you don't mind the taste...just because of the omega-3's.

bigsethmeister
07-19-2005, 10:45 AM
i love sardines with triscuits and chilled vodka

Wierz
07-19-2005, 12:50 PM
LOL Seth!! That's like trailer park cuisine! I love it! (I might have to quote this in my sig.. I didn't want to do it but I almost died when I read that)

------------------------------------------------------

sardines have omega 3s? They're not farm bred?

IRN-BRU
07-19-2005, 02:38 PM
I get cans of Mackeral, they are a LOT nicer than sardines, have no skin or bones in the tin!

In the UK Tesco sell 125g Mackeral in spicy tomato sauce for 58p. It's about 14g of protein, tastes great on toasted whole wheat bread. Handy easy-open can for quick snacks around lunchtime. I had 2 today, can't get enough of them!

Sure it's not as good as a can of plain tuna, but it's easier and tastes good. Although everyone in the office says "dude, what are you eating, that's just wrong!". LOL.

law56ker
07-27-2005, 09:46 PM
The bones aren't really bones cause they are so soft, and the scales aren't scales, it
's just soft fish skin. At walmart I get the sardines in hotsauce or the ones in mustard, there is also a great value version thats bigger in tomato sauce. I love sardines and they are any easy meal to carry with you.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I hate sardines.