PDA

View Full Version : Food Before an !IMPORTANT! exam

Svyatogor
07-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Guys,

I am taking a very important exam next Tuesday and Wednesday. It is a 6 hour exam each day with an hour and 15 minute break after the first 3 hours. While I have taken a few practice exams, I have been having trouble staying sharp for the whole six hours. Actually, my alertness disappears after about the first 2 hours or so. Yet, it is the second 3 hour part that I am scoring much worse on bc I feel sluggish and tired. I have the following questions/things to add:

1) On the morning of the exam (the exam starts at 9 and I have to leave hotel around 7:30), what are some things that I should eat? There won't be complementary breakfast bc I have to leave too early. I am looking for something that will give me a proper nutritional balance and possibly more but I don't want to be bouncing off the walls and be disorganized. I must stay sharp.

2) The rules of the exam, if I remember correctly, is that I cannot bring water or anything into the room. So I have to stock up in advance. Moreover, the process of going to the bathroom takes about 15 minutes so I cannot sacrifice that time.

2) What should I try to eat for lunch? What should I avoid?

I know some of these questions may sound silly but you are the only bunch I can call for help. I feel like some proper nutrition could make a difference and make me score a few points higher if I stay sharp because many people will be getting tired. Please help a fellow WBB member. Thank you in advance. -S-

CarlP
07-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Low GI carbs would give you some energy without making your insulin level go crazy.

Shao-LiN
07-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Protein, good fats, good carb source (i.e. whole wheat products, brown rice, etc.). A well balanced meal, basically. It's not neurosurgery, don't have to overthink it, just eat a good meal and get lots of sleep before the exam. You assimilate more knowledge as you sleep, so those all nighters are actually more detrimental. Study ahead and you'll be fine.

ReelBigFish
07-18-2005, 10:03 PM
definately get a good bit of fats in with those carbs and protein. It'll help keep from feeling tired and keep you sharp.

Built
07-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Yep. Fats in that meal, along with protein and slow carb (not too much of the carb, but some) will help.

If you can bring in some food or a protein shake, that'll help, too.

Svyatogor
07-19-2005, 06:38 AM
thanks for the help guys, but in my condition (where I am moving into a hotel hours away from home with no stove or morning breakfast and I will be too stressed/tired to cook in advance) can you actually name specific foods for me to eat? Like Shao-LiN mentioned whole-wheat products. What are some things that I should eat at 7:30 or so before I leave and then for lunch? Thanks and sorry for being such a newb. -S-

Shao-LiN
07-19-2005, 06:42 AM
Do you get force fed a lot? Hehe.

Protein - Milk, eggs, chicken, beef, hell a protein shake.
Fats - Eggs, olive oil, fish oil, cheese, etc.
Carbs - Whole wheat, brown rice, etc. etc.

Mix and match whatever is convenient. For example, a chicken sandwich with cheese on whole wheat for lunch...milk, eggs, olive oil, rice for breakfast.

pruneman
07-19-2005, 10:21 AM
When I to ok the MCAT, I ate oatmeal and eggs for breakfast and kept a bag of peanut M&Ms in my pocket in case I needed a little boost during the exam.

spanky33
07-19-2005, 10:41 AM
IMHO you should just eat what you normally eat. You don't want to suddenly change at a time like that.

zimbo
07-19-2005, 11:24 AM
IMO, the most important thing is to get a good night's rest TWO NIGHTS BEFORE the exam. The amount of sleep you get the night before the exam is important--but not nearly as important as the previous night.

--Steve

underwearmodel
07-19-2005, 10:26 PM
throw a multivitamin in there

Shao-LiN
07-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Should be taking those everyday, anyway.