PDA

View Full Version : PWO after a cardio session?

.maximum.
07-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Is it necessary like after a lifting session?

threatmix
07-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Now, I'm not sure, and I could be wrong, but from what I understand, if you're doing HIIT, that burns muscle glycogen, so you would need to restore that afterwards, but if it's just regular cardio, then it's not necessary.

.maximum.
07-19-2005, 12:11 PM
just a 30-45 minute session on the elliptical trainer, not HIIT, steady heart rate...

body
07-19-2005, 02:30 PM
yep i say more so. i you burn through a lot more kcals.
though this does depend on what you do. if you done 90 minutes hard trianing you may have burn't in excess of 1,000kcal. this need replacing.

threatmix
07-19-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't think the point of having a post-workout meal is to replace calories per se, but to provide the macronutrients needed to repair the muscle that is torn during weightlifting and to replenish muscle glycogen. But in the case of regular cardio, the muscle isn't damaged, so it's not an issue. Also, I don't think anyone should be doing 90 minutes of cardio, that's too much. So, I still say it wouldn't be necessary, .maximum., with the type of cardio you mentioned. But maybe you could schedule your cardio so that it's before a meal anyway, just in case. I don't know what your schedule is like, though.

Tony G
07-19-2005, 08:27 PM
whether or not you need a PWO drink depends alot on the intensity of the session. Steady state cardio? I would say no. HIIT or intense resistance training, I would say yes. And even then it would depend on what your current goals were.

ChrisH
07-20-2005, 06:23 PM
It depends on your goals what you eat after cardio, but you should definitely have something. Solid food at least.

For a bodybuilder looking to gain weight it'd be best to drink a protein/carb shake because a) cardio takes up calories, and they need to be replaced if one intends to stay in calorie surplus, b) cardio is catabolic and i'm pretty sure that a big boost of carbs and protein helps combat that and c) it takes up nutrients that you need to grow muscle, so they need to be replaced. You grow outside the gym, and cardio cuts into your recovery, so you need to do everything you can to reverse its catabolic effects.

For anyone else, eat something, drink something, whatever. It'll keep your metabolism going.

Oh yeah, and water. Dehydration is bad mmmkay.

BG5150
07-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Let's put it this way...could it hurt?

.maximum.
07-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Well, my stats are 6-0 tall, 230 lbs, about 20% bf...so obviously I'm cutting.
I have been eating well below maintenance for about a month, and lifting hard for about a year...just now learning the value of proper nutrition.

I lift M/W/F, been doing WBB#1 for about a month. T/Th I do 30-45 minutes on the elliptical (keep HR at 150-160 bpm the whole time) to help shed the fat.

So goals are to maintain muscle, lean out...lifting heavy, eating under maint. and trying to keep macros in check - now adding cardio to speed things up a bit.

anymore advice? does my diet look decent for my goals?

Built
07-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Your calories look too low, your fat and protein are clearly the culprits - increase both.

Try setting protein at between 1.0-1.5g/lb LBM (just use goal weight) and fats no lower than 0.5g/lb LBM/goal weight.

I'm cutting on roughly what you are, and I weigh a hundred pounds less than you.

Built
07-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Oh, and ditch the bars; try adding in some more veggies and healthy fats.

.maximum.
07-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Built-

What would be a good source for healty fat? I am taking flaxeed caps (2000mg a day) and i thought the natty pb would cover it...once my small supply of bars is don, they will be out...

Unreal
07-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Nuts, avocado, olives, olive oil, fatty fish, etc.

.maximum.
07-22-2005, 03:12 PM
thx unreal.

Built
07-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Built-

What would be a good source for healty fat? I am taking flaxeed caps (2000mg a day) and i thought the natty pb would cover it...once my small supply of bars is don, they will be out...

Unreal's right.

I take fish oil - it's better than flax. And I take LOTS. 10g daily.