PDA

View Full Version : Toby Dog's Online Journal!

Toby Dog
07-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Okay, here goes, my first online journal. Please, anyone and everyone feel free to comment and critique! Each entry will detail what I did the day before dietwise and gymwise. So without further adeu...

Monday, July 18th, 2005

Today was my first day doing the leg day of my new routine. I tweaked it slightly after reading the new 10 commandments articles to include lower reps and an extra set on my squats and calves.

Squats
170x6
170x6
170x4

Straight Legged Dead Lifts
115x8
115x12

Leg Curls
137x8
137x9

Standing Calf Raises
130x8
130x8
130x12

Decline Crunch
45x10

Decline French Twist
45x10

I usually would do an extra set of each ab exercise, but the gym was about to close. Next time I think I will add ten pounds to calf raises and SLDeadLifts, and five pounds to my leg curls. No diet information for today unfortunately, but I will surely have it up starting tomorrow. For all my exercises I was planning on keeping all the weights the same throughout the sets, but I'd be open to ideas about how to change that with reasons to back them up. Thoughts are welcome thanks!

Hatred
07-19-2005, 12:31 PM
You can do a a few more sets per exercise. Welcome.

briancurran01
07-19-2005, 12:33 PM
welcome. How do you get 137 for leg curls? just curious, extra weight added or something

Toby Dog
07-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Hatred Thanks for the input, how many sets for the different exercises would you reccomend? And should I drop weight as I go along? Cuz I know I'd be dead putting up 170 for a fourth set of squats.

Brian Oh its easy, at my gym they have five pound weights that fit on top of the weight stack, so that you don't have to jump 12 pounds every time.

Unholy
07-19-2005, 12:51 PM
I would say go for 3 sets per an excersize, and make sure to include a warmup set.

Good luck!

Toby Dog
07-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Holy Wars That sounds good for the input, I'll try a third set for all my leg exercises. Did you mean warm-up set as the third set or one warm up set plus three more sets? How much weight and how many reps are usually included in a warm-up set, and is it done to failure?

Unholy
07-19-2005, 01:31 PM
do a very light warmup set to get the blood flowing followed by 3 working sets per excersize, its a good starting point, you can adjust once you get the hang of things. When i was doing only 2 sets per excersize as per wwb1's recommendations It didnt feel like enough. Went to 3 and it was the sweet spot.

fixationdarknes
07-19-2005, 01:44 PM
I would do more than one light warmup set. You gotta build up. For your squats, here's how I would've warmed up:

-Bloodflow warmup: 45 x 8 (just the empty bar with no weights)
-50% of workweight: 85 x 6
-80% of workweight: 135 x 4
-Start the work sets...

That's just me though, so take it for what it's worth...

But just remember that you have to prepare the CNS by gradually adding on weight to get to your work sets.

But other than that, the session looked pretty good. But you should probably try doing about 3 sets per exercise like the other said.

Toby Dog
07-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Holy Wars and Fixation Thanks for the input! Maybe I'll compromise and try two warm up sets, maybe at 25% 8 reps, and then 50% 7 reps of work weight, what do you think?

Also, Fixation, I like the concept of prepping the CNS, admittedly I've never considered it before in relation to warm up sets. Is there any literature you can point me towards where they talk about that? Mind/Body relationships are a pet subject of mine.

Toby Dog
07-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Tuesday, July 19th, 2005

Today was my first day breaking in the day #3 routine, targeting deltoids, triceps, and biceps. I think for all three of my work routine days, thanks to input from faithful readers (major props Fixation and Holywars), I'm going to add two warm up sets before each exercise. Also going to do three sets of every compound exercise, and possibly in the future, three sets of every exercise... gonna have to run that one by the Bodybuilding/fitness forum.

Also! Please note that for the time being, cuz of shorter campus gym hours for the summer and my day job, I usually only have about 80 minutes at the gym. That should all change in about three weeks when I start my new less time demanding job. Then I can really get down to brass tacks. In the meantime, I sometimes run out of time to finish all the exercises I had planned.

Seat Military Press
95x6
95x6
95x5

Posterior Deltoid Raise
77x8
77x14

Lateral Deltoid Fly
12x8
12x9

Close Grip Bench Press
135x6
135x6
135x5

Exercises I was not able to get to cuz of time...
French Pressx2
Barbell Bicep Curlx2
Dumbbell Hammer Curlsx2

Okay there we have it. Wasn't able to get to biceps directly, but they get theirs during day #1 two in some of the compounds. Wednesday is a rest day, but it is my goal by Wednesday to finally get some pics up- link to follow! Input as always is appreciated while I refine this program.