PDA

View Full Version : Bad rep for fats (sidenote: bacon and green tea)

PhilsterT
07-20-2005, 12:23 AM
So, I'm still a little confused about the hype around "fats." People keep telling me not to eat this because it's not "fat free." Or, my friend said, "bacons so bad for you, it has fat in it." I thought I needed fat. How much does fat clog your arteries. And, how to tell bad fat from good fat?

Sidenote: Someone was trying to convince me green tea was bad for me. They said it's bad for the bladder. And bacon, is this bad for you? Because I have an obsession with BLTs like no other. It has some good protein in it. What would be a good weekly amount of bacons strings per week without even being close to the level where it might have an affect? 4 strips? Also, is green tea everyday bad? Every other day.

Thanks for the help.

Canadian Crippler
07-20-2005, 12:55 AM
For someone like me who has to eat around 6000 cals or so (I expect this to raise to 7000 at the peak of my bulk), I really don't give a **** where some of my cals come from as long as they are coming. lol.

Fat isn't bad for you. Just make it fit into your caloric and macronutrient goals. I'm getting 30%-35% of my cals from fat, and I'm as healthy as can be and growing well too! :D

There are obviously better sources for your fats than bacon, but eating it in moderation especially when it fits into your caloric goals is perfectly fine.

Built
07-20-2005, 01:19 AM
:withstupi

I've read research I trust that suggests getting in at least 0.5g fat/lb LBM for optimal test production, and I usually go over this, even for cutting.

dissipate
07-20-2005, 03:29 AM
what's a blatteR?

getfit
07-20-2005, 03:43 AM
i think he meant bladder

AllUp
07-20-2005, 07:14 AM
Green tea is fly as hell IMHO. There are several studies out there that cover the health benefits of daily green-tea consumption. If it was bad for your bladder, it would make one wonder why it was like the 2nd or 3rd ( or whatever :) ) most consumed beverage WW. Just google eht. :)

Also, the whole thing with "fats are bad" stems from the fact that it is the most calorie-dense of the 3 macronutrients. As stated above, fats help maintain normal hormone/test.

spanky33
07-20-2005, 07:44 AM
Green tea is fly as hell IMHO. There are several studies out there that cover the health benefits of daily green-tea consumption. If it was bad for your bladder, it would make one wonder why it was like the 2nd or 3rd ( or whatever :) ) most consumed beverage WW. Just google eht. :)

Also, the whole thing with "fats are bad" stems from the fact that it is the most calorie-dense of the 3 macronutrients. As stated above, fats help maintain normal hormone/test.

that's a pretty bad analogy actually. i'd guess that pop is very close to number 1 worldwide (after water i guess), and it isn't very good for you...

PhilsterT
07-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Oh man...that would be sad if pop was higher than water.

Alright, I will propbably continue to eat bacon in moderation. And for green tea: everyday.

twm
07-20-2005, 09:20 AM
I'd say pop is definitely not close to #1. Maybe in north america, western europe & australia, it is close. Worldwide? Probably somewhere in the lower top 10.

spanky33
07-20-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm certain it is top 5 worldwide. Name one place where the cocacola symbol isn't posted everywhere? The only place I can think of is the Sahara desert in africa. Coca cola and pepsi absolutely run **** in asia. Everywhere.

ReelBigFish
07-20-2005, 02:23 PM
I know that Water is first and tea is second and i'm pretty sure that coffee is third. After that I would guess that soda is prolly 4th or 5th. Milk being the other in the top 5.

BG5150
07-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I know that Water is first and tea is second and i'm pretty sure that coffee is third. After that I would guess that soda is prolly 4th or 5th. Milk being the other in the top 5.
You "know" the top two, but not 3, 4 and 5? Where did you get your particular data?

Or, my friend said, "bacons so bad for you...
I think this is what led you astray...listening to friends for diet advice.

BG5150
07-20-2005, 04:52 PM
It all depends on who's doing the "most drinked" study. I just did a quick hit on google and one site said that tea is the most consumed beverage. The second said it was coffee. Funny how the former article extolled the benefits of drinking tea, and the former did the same for coffee. Can you say "flawed study"?

And as for "if it's bad for the bladder why would everyone..." Well, some people have no choice. It's tough to get OJ in parts of Japan or India, I would think.

sphillip40
07-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Green tea good. I drink it most days. Some days i drink some kind of black tea. I'm a tea fanatic. Some people have said that black tea isn't healthy but not too long ago, a study came out saying the black tea is almost as healthy as green tea regarding anti-oxidant properties. Black teas are usually a bit 'stronger' than green though. hehe.

My other point:
I hate it when my friends, family, and co-workers give me advice on my diet. They don't have the body types I want. Plus their opinions change with the latest fad or research shown on TV but, to no surprise, their body types haven't changed. I'd put 100 times more weight on what is said by some of the members on this site regarding diets (i've learned a ton from many here). The rest is trial and error for me. There, this is officially my first rant. I'm done now. Please move along.

Dedicated
07-22-2005, 02:05 PM
So, I'm still a little confused about the hype around "fats." People keep telling me not to eat this because it's not "fat free." Or, my friend said, "bacons so bad for you, it has fat in it." I thought I needed fat. How much does fat clog your arteries. And, how to tell bad fat from good fat?

Sidenote: Someone was trying to convince me green tea was bad for me. They said it's bad for the bladder. And bacon, is this bad for you? Because I have an obsession with BLTs like no other. It has some good protein in it. What would be a good weekly amount of bacons strings per week without even being close to the level where it might have an affect? 4 strips? Also, is green tea everyday bad? Every other day.

Thanks for the help.

Yea don't listen to your friends or other people. Do research and learn as much as you can and draw your own conclusions from that. I don't discuss diet and nutrition with anyone outside of these forums. It's an endless battle that I refuse to fight. I hear stuff like "carbs are bad" and "eating after 8pm is bad" and "fats are bad" all the time, I just nod and agree. Most people have no idea what they are talking about when they make general statements like that.

As for green tea. I don't know if it's good, I drink it, I'm addicted to caffeine and I love the taste. I've read studies that say green tea raises metabolism, and I've also read studies that say green tea lowers testosterone(in rats not people). In general, I do think it is good for you, and I don't think it will kill you if you drink it all day like I do.

As for bacon I don't eat it, waaay to many calories and I am cutting. When I do eat bacon I eat turkey bacon, which is like 35 calories a strip.

PhilsterT
07-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Bacon doesn't have that many calories. 2 strips is like 70 calories; that's nothing.

tigo
07-24-2005, 04:10 AM
green teea is a high source of caffeine, a natural defatigue-r
every .5 tsp has like 37 mg of caffeine, as much as a soda
prmotes metabolism and energy

yea i worjk at jamba juice i know this shizzle haha :d

PhilsterT
07-24-2005, 11:58 AM
I didn't know green tea had caffine in it. Really? The all completley natural one?

Dedicated
07-24-2005, 12:45 PM
I didn't know green tea had caffine in it. Really? The all completley natural one?
Yea it does. I buy those little bags you put in hot water, lipton with the lemon flavor, really good!

PhilsterT
07-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Oh man...you can't buy lipton! I buy like the all-natural-Asian-import kind. Of course Lipton has caffine.

ReelBigFish
07-24-2005, 04:17 PM
all tea has caffeine in it, whether it's all natural or not. Reg. Lipton tea bags are just black and orange pekoke tea. Green tea also has caff. Unless it says decaf, then it prolly has caff.