PDA

View Full Version : flax, nuts and granola

vegetapower
07-20-2005, 03:38 AM
okay, so I am a person who likes to eat. because of this I try and make sure that what I eat is healthy. I recently started making my own granola with lots of multi grain oats, nuts, golden flax seeds, protein powder and honey. It tastes great but I eat way too much of it. I am worried that this might be extremely bad for me even though it is all healthy ingredients.

Besides weight gain, are there any other bad effects to overeating nuts and such?

on a sidenote, I know that flax oil oxidizes at high temperatures thats why it is not good to cook with it, but what about flax seed meal or just flax seeds, can I cook with them and not worry?

getfit
07-20-2005, 03:41 AM
people make bread,muffins etc.... with flax seeds i'm sure it's fine!

bigsethmeister
07-20-2005, 09:59 AM
okay, so I am a person who likes to eat.

we find ourselves in agreement :-)

because of this I try and make sure that what I eat is healthy. I recently started making my own granola with lots of multi grain oats, nuts, golden flax seeds, protein powder and honey. It tastes great but I eat way too much of it. I am worried that this might be extremely bad for me even though it is all healthy ingredients.

oh yum :drooling: can you post a recipe in the recipe section???

Besides weight gain, are there any other bad effects to overeating nuts and such?

not at all. walnuts, almonds and other nuts are loaded with good fats. walnuts even appear to exert a beneficial influence on cholesterol levels. as long as you aren't eating so much you are getting fat i say enjoy.

on a sidenote, I know that flax oil oxidizes at high temperatures thats why it is not good to cook with it, but what about flax seed meal or just flax seeds, can I cook with them and not worry?

honestly i've never worried about it. :)

Unholy
07-20-2005, 10:07 AM
I want that recipi!

chops
07-20-2005, 11:19 AM

flax seeds/meal are also heat senstive, so if you're cooking them u will lose some nutritional benefit. the hull may prevent digestion, so chew them or grind them up with a coffee grinder.