PDA

View Full Version : How important is the source of calories?

Deathwish
07-20-2005, 03:26 PM
I've heard a few things. How different is 2000 calories worth of pizza than 2000 calories worth of turkey sandwhiches on whole wheat? They're just calories right so if that's my cut goal I should lose fat? Yes I know I'll probably lose muscle too because I won't have enough protein...but that's the least of my concern atm.

Built
07-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Yes I know I'll probably lose muscle too because I won't have enough protein...but that's the least of my concern atm.

This should be your greatest concern.

Manveet
07-20-2005, 03:32 PM
This should be your greatest concern.

Agreed.

Having enough protein and healthy fats is extremely important, especially on a cut.

YungLifter
07-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Yeah you really don't want to lose muscle. The more LBM you have the more calories your body burns.

Built
07-20-2005, 06:39 PM
More to the point, if you lose too much muscle along with the fat, you'll become a flabby, skinny-fat person. You WON'T be happy with the result.

The whole point of eating and training like a BB during a cut is to get harder and leaner, not just smaller.

IZich
07-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Unless i'm mistaken(and correct me if i am, no offense will be taken), the source of calories doesnt matter. what DOES matter (in the example of pizza vs. turkey sandwiches) is the balance of nutrients: protein/fat/carbs. you'll be intaking a LOT of fat and cholesterol(sp?) on a 'pizza diet', which is why people to eat clean and get their calories from a healthy source.

IZich
07-21-2005, 12:37 PM
oh, btw Built, its nice to see you again :) I've been gone for a while due to some issues (like moving back home after college, poison oak rashes[which blow]), but i'm back :)

shansen008
07-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Unless i'm mistaken(and correct me if i am, no offense will be taken), the source of calories doesnt matter. what DOES matter (in the example of pizza vs. turkey sandwiches) is the balance of nutrients: protein/fat/carbs. you'll be intaking a LOT of fat and cholesterol(sp?) on a 'pizza diet', which is why people to eat clean and get their calories from a healthy source.

maybe im just confused, but did you just say the source of your cals doesnt matter...then go on to point out that your macros are what matters? Seems mutually inclusive to me at least.

Built
07-21-2005, 03:45 PM

The balance of macronutrients to each other is meaningless.

For muscle growth/sparing, you need sufficient protein (usually you'll hear 1.0-1.5g/lb LBM, I go by goal weight), sufficient fat (I go by 0.5g/lb LBM or goal weight), and you need your calories to reach your target, so you make up the rest of 'em from whatever combination you like.

Dietary cholesterol has very little impact, actually, on your blood lipids. Not none, but its contribution is relatively small. I don't worry about it. And I've HAD high cholesterol. I still eat butter, steak, and egg yolks daily. It's at enviable levels now.

And hi IZich! <waves>

IZich
07-25-2005, 10:56 AM
ooo, gotcha. I learned something today!

wrestlemaniac
07-25-2005, 03:32 PM
^that happens a lot when Built posts.

Built
07-25-2005, 04:27 PM
<Blows kisses toward wrestlemaniac and IZich>

:)

Patz
07-25-2005, 06:10 PM
crap calories will yield crap results...

You want to get the most from each and every food you eat, while staying within your caloric budget for the day. If you're doing that, then you will be doing all you can do diet-wise. If you don't then you're selling yourself short, and may ultimately be disappointed with the results.

Deathwish
07-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Okay so at the moment, I weigh 200 lbs. As long as I ate atleast 200g of protein and 100g for fat and kept my calories under 200*12-500=1900 calories I should lose fat and preserve muscle...is this correct?

Built
07-28-2005, 12:58 AM
Only if you lift heavy. And those calories sound LOW. I can cut on 1900 calories.

Figure out what YOUR maintenance calories are, then drop by about 10-15%. If YOUR maintenance calories are about 3000 a day (just a guess, I don't know), then you'd drop your calories by about 300-500 to cut. For me, my maintenance calories are about 2300, so dropping by 200-300 was what I started with.

Your maintenance calories are NOT a calculation - you have to track for a bit to find out. I suggest using www.fitday.com for a week to see what they are.