PDA

View Full Version : Floor Press

KevinStarke
07-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Just wondering if floor presses have to be done on the floor --> http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/floorbarbellpress.html

Or if you can do it on a bench and just bring the bar down till your arms are parallel with the ground (to the point where if there was a floor your arms would be on it) to create the same results?

D Breyer
07-20-2005, 06:12 PM
IMO i don't think its a "floor press" if its not done on the floor...

KevinStarke
07-20-2005, 06:32 PM
obviously but i didnt ask if it was same thing i asked if it would create the same results.

Darracq
07-20-2005, 07:14 PM
No it wont. THe whole idea is to rest completly on the floor and then press back up.

schmitty199
07-20-2005, 07:41 PM
why not just towel bench it seems the same too me............

KevinStarke
07-20-2005, 09:33 PM
No it wont. THe whole idea is to rest completly on the floor and then press back up.

Excellent, thats the information i needed. Thanks Darracq

Also, pardon my ignorance but how does towel benching work.

Sensei
07-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Towel bench is more or less the same thing as a board press except it's done w. a rolled up towel on your chest. The principle is basically the same - shorten the range of motion and (if you pause) break up the eccentric-concentric movement. Towel bench is a little harder to get started than a board press (of same ROM) because the towel allows the bar to sink.

You didn't ask for opinions on the exercise, but it's not one of my favorites. It can be really hard on your elbows if you relax your triceps at the bottom of the motion - I honestly don't remember what Dave, Louie, et. al recommend, but be careful and work into it gradually.

KevinStarke
07-20-2005, 09:52 PM
I was just curious, i dont plan on incorporating floor presses or towel benching in to my routine, i am however going to start board pressing.

drew
07-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Board press and floor press are definitely not the same, but you should definitely do both if possible.

KevinStarke
07-21-2005, 08:53 AM
board press looks like it would be fun though, floor press definitelly does not, and i lift to have fun.

Anthony
07-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Floor press is a lot of fun. Make sure you have a spot, since it is pretty awkward when you first try it. And be careful on the descent.

KevinStarke
07-21-2005, 09:05 AM
Floor press is a lot of fun. Make sure you have a spot, since it is pretty awkward when you first try it. And be careful on the descent.

Thats why it doesnt seem fun, it seems like such a bitch to set that up and get the heavy ass weight off the ground.

ElPietro
07-21-2005, 09:05 AM
If you can't floor press just do lockouts in a rack. It's not exactly the same thing, but if you are more or less just trying to work on a specific ROM from deadstop you can just set the pins to that level in the rack and push from there.

There are tons of these ME type lifts that are highly interchangeable.

Anthony
07-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Thats why it doesnt seem fun, it seems like such a bitch to set that up and get the heavy ass weight off the ground.

Nah man, just be creative. Put the bar on the edge of a bench, have someone help with the lift off, then away you go. Works perfectly.

KevinStarke
07-21-2005, 09:07 AM
See that sounds like something i'd like, i've been thinking about doing rack lockouts but the movable benches at the gym i go too feel higher up than the normal benches.

Anthony
07-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Rack lockouts are also great (I call them pin presses) ... if you don't have an adjustable power rack, use aerobic steps. Not ideal, but sometimes you gotta improvise. Keep in mind they feel quite different than floor presses.

ElPietro
07-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Yeah floor presses I can see feeling akward simply because you can't get any leg drive.

And yeah, pin presses is probably the more accepted term for what I explained. I think most call partial deadlifts in the rack, "rack lockouts."

Pin presses can be fun, since you are perfectly safe and pressing large weight. And all the partial ROM guys at the gym still think of it as a bench press, so when you throw on that huge weight they come pat you on the back. :D

KevinStarke
07-21-2005, 09:12 AM
haha yah, i'll have to give am a shot next time i do heavy bench. How much more weight can generally pin press over your full ROM bench?

ElPietro
07-21-2005, 09:17 AM
I'd say it would vary quite a bit person to person, depending on tricep strength. But I'd wager 15-35% is a safe range, most being maybe in the 20-25% range.

Anthony
07-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Too many variables to give an accurate response. You'll probably notice it's going to be a lot more difficult than normal bench press because you are starting from a dead stop. That initial push is a bitch since there's no tension.

ElPietro
07-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Oh, it also depends on where you are pressing from. I used to do pin presses from two seperate locations, one would be from my sticking point, and the other would be only the last maybe 4" of ROM.

KevinStarke
07-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Sounds good, i'll have to try several things out with it. Thanks guys.

Buffster
07-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Pin presses are definitely one of my favorite bench exercises.

drew
07-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Are pin presses still useful for the raw bencher? I know most shirted benchers do extra lockout work, but is it really that useful for a raw bencher? (Keep in mind, bench is my worst lift and I readily admit I have a lot to learn here).

ElPietro
07-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Well yeah, you can still set it at your sticking point.

And even beyond that you are still working quite a bit. You'd be surprised how difficult it is moving weight from a deadstop.

Last time I looked into this sorta stuff, overloading your muscles even for partial ROM can have some correlation to other parts of the ROM. This I can't be 100% sure of though, so you might wanna double check.

Buffster
07-21-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm a raw bencher too, but IMO they are brilliant for the tri's, which is my weakest link in the BP.

greetz,
ROn

KevinStarke
07-21-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm currently a RAW bencher as well, only because im broke though lol. I still wanna do pin presses cause your tri's can never be strong enougn i say.

Miguel Zambia
07-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Wouldn't doing Rack Partials, using deadstops between each rep, even starting at bottom instead of using eccentric lowering, be basically the same (achieve same result) as Floor Press?

And with Rack Partials, there are more ROM ranges to use...

EDIT: Oops, I see this has already been discussed. My apologies.

Miguel Zambia
07-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Does anyone here like doing Isometric Rack Benches?

This isn't a floor press, but it's done in a power rack. I use a Cambered Bar, which is great if you have one. The idea is to put the bar under the spot pins, and push up, as hard as you can, against the underside of the spot pins. Make sure the rack has weights on it or is bolted down, otherwise you'll lift the rack off the ground.

I push for about 5 seconds, then repeat; each 5 seconds is 1 rep; I do about 6 reps. Then I adjust the spot pins up one notch. Using a Cambered bar, I can thus start about an inch or 2 below the top of my chest, then jump up about 3 inches (distance between pin holes), for about 4 different ROM up to just below lockout. I do the entire 4 ROM X 6 reps X 5 seconds, twice.

This is actually very hard. Even though you're just using the bar without any weight, if you do this after other bench work, it's really, really exhausting. I read about it a long time ago, & the article suggested doing it only once every 2 weeks, & even then for not too many sessions.

JustinASU
12-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Not to resurrect long dead threads, but I tried floor presses last night. Earlier in this thread people were talking about how your floor press should be heavier than your regular ROM. I found it to be just the opposite. I did use chains while doing so and the way we set them up they never really deload.

I'd like to hear other lifters' experiences with this movement in relation to a regular ROM bench press.

Edit: Reading over the earlier posts, it looks like those heavier weight comments may have been in regards to pin press. I'd still like to hear about peoples' experiences with this movement.

Anthony
12-12-2006, 08:26 AM
My floor presses were definitely lower than my normal bench, although maybe that was because I hadn't adjusted to the movement (I've only done them a few times). Pin presses were DEFINITELY lower at anything more than half range of motion.

Big o Boy
12-12-2006, 08:36 AM
I think what Kevin was referring to was a J.M. Press (bringing the bar down to where, if you were performing a floor press it would stall, and then pressing the weight back up). These for me are much harder than a regular full press... because of the pause at the bottom. This is similar to rack/pin presses that are set at/below a sticking point and floor presses. My triceps are my weakest part of my press, and I know if I can get enough momentum using my chest/delts/lats at the bottom of the lift, I can push through a sticking point with heavier weight. Therefore I press more with full ROM... unLESS, the pin is set to allow minimal ROM.

Guido
12-12-2006, 09:26 AM
I find both floor presses and low pin presses to be much tougher than regular ROM bench press. I think it's mostly because you are taking momentum oiut of the equation. Starting from a static position is very difficult but it will greatly improve your drive off the bottom on your regular bench.

KevinStarke
12-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Wow old thread, excuse my ******ed openning question too please hah. My floor presses are definitelly lighter then my full presses. Especially with a good long pause on the floor.

JoeG
12-12-2006, 10:39 AM
I've read in several places that you can use DB's for ME Floor Presses if you don't have a spotter.

As the only guy in my gym I trusted to spot me blew it on my ME Bench on me a few weeks ago it is safe to say I don't want him spotting me on floor presses.

So are BD Floor Presses better than not doing the movement or should I just find a better movement?

Anthony
12-12-2006, 10:41 AM
DB floor presses are great.

KevinStarke
12-12-2006, 10:43 AM
DB floor presses are the shiz

View 1
12-12-2006, 02:44 PM
I started a ws4bb program awhile ago ( im on my 6th week ) and as one of ME exercises I use DB floor press. Since I work out alone 95% of the time, im not even trying to attempt doing a BB floor press. Anyway I really like the DB floor press. Dave tate has written several times to pause for one second when your elbows hit the floor, I didn't do that the 1st time, but I did it on monday and yeah I felt it in my tri's big time. I think next time im going to ask someone to hand me the DB's on my last set, cause I could barley kick the DB's up to hit my last to reps:(

Adam
12-12-2006, 05:48 PM
If you have a cage that has pins holes all the way to the bottom your in luck(for 100% safe floor pressin)
Just set the safeties underneath your wrist level when your arms are perpendicular to the floor. Set the catches to the desired level and away you go. If you fail, just dump the weight forward or backwards and the pins will be just inches below.
Can't believe I've never thought of doing this before. Next bench day I know what I'm doing.

Sleepy Guy
12-18-2006, 09:23 AM
If you have a cage that has pins holes all the way to the bottom your in luck(for 100% safe floor pressin)...

It's not the same but still builds strength. I find that with the pins you never get the weight at just the right hight and most people tend to go to the higher pins to get more lift advatage. Floor press is awesome as long as you don't kill your self getting the weight off the ground.

magicman531
12-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Arthur Saxon use to do a pull over and floor press with something like 386 pounds. Just showing the potential that's out there, weight wise. I don't much care for it myself.

Adam
12-18-2006, 05:43 PM
It's not the same but still builds strength. I find that with the pins you never get the weight at just the right hight and most people tend to go to the higher pins to get more lift advatage. Floor press is awesome as long as you don't kill your self getting the weight off the ground.

I mean have ppins just under the hieght of your upper arm perpendicular to the floor.
aka still do a real floor press, just have the pins under your full rom so you can safely dump it.