PDA

View Full Version : Power Shrugs

KevinStarke
07-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows where i could see a good example of one, i've looked around the net but to no avail. I understand the basic principals but i'd like to see it to see if i really understand.

BG5150
07-20-2005, 10:03 PM
How does a power shrug differ from a regular, barbell shrug?

KevinStarke
07-20-2005, 10:05 PM
You do with heavier weight than you would do a regular shrug and you dip down a bit witht he barbell in your hands then shoot up and shrug it up real hard. You dont do as many reps either, its part of a deadlift routine i wanna start doing that ed coan set up.

BG5150
07-20-2005, 10:12 PM
I can see, now, where that would help the DL, 'cause that's the postion you're in when the traps kick in....interesting.

If this is the routine you're talking about: http://www.powerpage.net/coanphildead.html

Damn, it looks tough. Power shrugs at 75% of my dead MAX? I'd tear something...

KevinStarke
07-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Thats just the routine, you have no idea how excited i am to start it man.

BG5150
07-20-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm no powerlifter, but I was introduced to lifting by one. He held a few records at Virginia Tech for a couple years. But I have a great appreciation for the sport, and I certainly incorporate PL basics in my current training.

I'm still "finding myself" when it comes to deads. I tweaked my back a few weeks ago, and it still is a little funny even on 60% deads. But when I get back into my true dl workout, I may incorporate the power shrugs in lieu of regular shrugs on trap day.

KevinStarke
07-20-2005, 10:32 PM
They're sounding good to me, harsh but im sure they'll be worth it. Im completely addicted to powerlifting and am now addicted to deadlifting as well.

jtteg_x
07-20-2005, 10:33 PM
http://www.midwestbarbell.com/videos/powershrug.wmv

source: http://www.midwestbarbell.com/videos.htm

BG5150
07-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Kinda like heavy upright rows. (Though I don't like upright rows )

KevinStarke
07-20-2005, 10:44 PM
http://www.midwestbarbell.com/videos/powershrug.wmv

source: http://www.midwestbarbell.com/videos.htm

Awesome! thank you very much.

jack_of_all
07-21-2005, 07:02 AM
like a jump shrug only you stay on the ground and dont start from clean positon.

b_sinning
07-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

ElPietro
07-21-2005, 01:28 PM
For these just load up as much weight as humanly possible, and try to move it up anyway you can. Lol I guess they call it power shrugs because they don't want to call it "cheat shrugs."

Nothing wrong with it, lotta ppl use their legs to build momentum to shrug, and then just call em shrugs. At least this is a bit more honest. :D

KevinStarke
07-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Guess so but Ed Coan suggests doing them and if Ed said wearing a bunny suit would increase my deadlift i'd do it.

DNL
07-21-2005, 04:17 PM
For these just load up as much weight as humanly possible, and try to move it up anyway you can. Lol I guess they call it power shrugs because they don't want to call it "cheat shrugs."

Nothing wrong with it, lotta ppl use their legs to build momentum to shrug, and then just call em shrugs. At least this is a bit more honest. :D

hahaha yeah i was about to say that i do that too.. only i call that cheat shrug. Go up fast then slowly lower the bar. This has helped me with my grip for dead as well.

jtteg_x
07-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Awesome! thank you very much.

done any power shrugs yet?

did them last night, i can definately feel my traps/shoulder. now on, ill be doing more bb shrugs than db

KevinStarke
07-23-2005, 10:26 PM
I'll be doing them on my deadlift day (tuesday)

Roark
03-11-2007, 05:16 PM
okay

i used the search function

creating my new routine and debating power vs. conventional shrugs

the video linked above i don't like

as someone else stated, looks like an excuse to load lots of weight on the bar and use poor form. i've seen guys in my gym do it and i always am a bit put off by the practice.

may just stick with conventional

any other video link somoene could pass along?

bunch on youtube, but hard to tell which ones to trust in regard to form

thanks

Stumprrp
03-11-2007, 05:35 PM
i personally think its a terrific exersize that helped my traps get monster and strong as hell, your just using some hip and leg drive to get the weight up.

what will make your body grow more, power shrugs with 675 or conventional with 495? more weight i would think = more growth.

Roark
03-11-2007, 05:57 PM
i personally think its a terrific exersize that helped my traps get monster and strong as hell, your just using some hip and leg drive to get the weight up.

what will make your body grow more, power shrugs with 675 or conventional with 495? more weight i would think = more growth.

the additonal force being generated by hips and legs would probably account for the "more growth" as you would be stimulating those muscle groups, not just traps

i'm concerned with how best to hit my traps

same diff w/ push presses versus strict militaries and many other lifts

more weight on the bar is only good if it's being moved properly and acheiving the desired ends

Stumprrp
03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
i suppose but the traps are still moving and getting pulled down with extremely heavy weight, to eaches own i suppose.

want big traps? try Hise Breathing Shrugs.

Roark
03-11-2007, 06:19 PM
want big traps? try Hise Breathing Shrugs.

thanks

don't have time before tomorrow's workout

but i will def look into those

WORLD
03-11-2007, 06:21 PM
When I'm doing Rack Pulls, I shrug the weight at the end. I noticed you said it's part of a deadlift routine you want to start, but I'm not sure if Rack Pulls are incorperated in this routine. I load up more weight for rack pulls than for shurgs of course, and on my way up I catch momentum and shrug at the top of my lift. I figure, why not kill two birds with one stone! haha

dw06wu
03-11-2007, 06:33 PM
it's a pretty natural movement, actually. It's the first pull of a hang clean.

Guido
03-12-2007, 07:31 AM
I can see, now, where that would help the DL, 'cause that's the postion you're in when the traps kick in....interesting.

If this is the routine you're talking about: http://www.powerpage.net/coanphildead.html

Damn, it looks tough. Power shrugs at 75% of my dead MAX? I'd tear something...That is a good routine. My routine is based off of it and I've had great results with it.

Power shrugs with 75% isn't really that bad. I can already do that for regular shrugs (with 405x8), but maybe I just have freaky trap strength.

Clifford Gillmore
03-12-2007, 08:16 PM

Damn, it looks tough. Power shrugs at 75% of my dead MAX? I'd tear something...

I agree with everything in the routine apart from.

a) Arched back goodmornings.
b) Progressive overload.

Stumprrp
03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
75% of dead max for powershrugs isnt bad at all actually i can power shrug more then i can DL, but thats me.

thats a cool routine, quite brutal.

Bob
03-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Man.. these have been on my mind lately... I've been doing the old-fashioned Power Shrug after reading an old Bill Starr article... and then this follow-up:
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4712284&postcount=319

I'm not as strong as Stumpster on these.. but when I do them right and around 400, man my traps have never felt better.. luving it!! Highly recommended!!

jtteg_x
03-13-2007, 03:04 PM
powershurgs are more like a whole body movement lift like the deadlift. it involves your exsplosive leg drive, grip, calves, and you get the pure contraction at the top of the lift. great supplemental lift for those who do oly lifts. i wouldnt call it neccesary cheating because its serves a slightly different purpose than the basic shrug.

SaVvY
03-14-2007, 03:12 PM
i dont do barbell shrugs cuss everytime i try it nails me in the balls haha the only way ive managed to do it is with a wide grip, which didn't really feel right

though if you dont have this problem i would think you could put a SHAT load of weight on a barbell using leg drive, so yeh its probably a good exercise for that reason alone

jtteg_x
03-15-2007, 01:07 PM
i dont do barbell shrugs cuss everytime i try it nails me in the balls haha the only way ive managed to do it is with a wide grip, which didn't really feel right

i thought i was the only one! haha

Madd Dog Reaper
03-28-2007, 07:20 AM
looks awsome

dtshen
03-28-2007, 11:52 AM
wait don't most people shrug more than they dead? i'm shrugging almost 6pps, dead is 470.