PDA

View Full Version : Working out on a reduced calorie diet

Nuts
07-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Hypothetically, what would happen if I reduced my caloric intake and maintained my weight training? Would my body still attack the muscle for nutrients, even though I have plenty of excess fat on my body?

Not that I'm intending on trying this, but it's a thought that crossed my mind.

YungLifter
07-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Isn't lifting while on a diet lower then maintence cutting...

drew
07-21-2005, 10:44 AM
If you're cutting and lifting, you will lose fat, not muscle. Just don't go too low into caloric defecit and you should be fine.

ddegroff
07-21-2005, 10:54 AM
you pretty much explained the idea of cutting. Yes you will lose fat and if you do it right not much muscle.

Woodward
07-21-2005, 11:22 AM
good question.. I have been wondering the same thing.

Woodward
07-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Not to post jack.. also eating less than maint. calories and heavy lifting, will you only retain muscle or still make gains?

drew
07-21-2005, 11:24 AM
In simplest terms, you will only maintain your muscle, not gain any.

Shao-LiN
07-21-2005, 06:48 PM
If you're cutting and lifting, you will lose fat, not muscle. Just don't go too low into caloric defecit and you should be fine.

Not true. You can still very well lose muscle.

Shao-LiN
07-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Not to post jack.. also eating less than maint. calories and heavy lifting, will you only retain muscle or still make gains?

It depends. Some people are able to gain lean mass, while losing bodyfat. Some examples include the genetically gifted, or people very new to bodybuilding and dieting.

So, is it possible? Sure. Is it common? Not really.

Nuts
07-21-2005, 06:52 PM
What determines the point at which a person would lose muscle? Is there a range between the point where fat is burned and muscle is lost?

ryuage
07-21-2005, 07:02 PM
the leaner you get the more muscle you are likely to lose.

Nuts
07-21-2005, 07:14 PM
So a fat bastard like myself should be ok so long as I keep working out with a reduced calorie diet? Then when I get to an acceptable bodyfat level, I can level out on the calories? Does this sound appropriate?

shansen008
07-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Hypothetically, what would happen if I reduced my caloric intake and maintained my weight training? Would my body still attack the muscle for nutrients, even though I have plenty of excess fat on my body?

Not that I'm intending on trying this, but it's a thought that crossed my mind.

Provided you are getting adequate protein and fat in your reduced calorie diet, your body will not be catabolizing muscle fur "nutrients" as you say. As long as your diet is on point and you continue to lift hard so as not to give your body a reason to shed muscle, it SHOULD attempt to balance out your caloric deficit by breaking down fat to use as energy to balance the equation. Just be sure to not go into too large of a deficit or you risk crashing your metabolism...your body will think it is in a famine and try to conserve fat and shed muscle in preparation for NO FOOD.

If you have a lot of fat to lose, be sure to re-evaluate your dietary needs as you drop more and more weight. Your body will be changing and so should your diet, this will help you avoid plateaus in weight loss.

Nuts
07-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Well, I'm not hearing any real drawbacks to this plan, so unless someone sounds off, I think I'll try this approach and see where it takes me.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Shao-LiN
07-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Drawbacks to your approach on cutting? Reducing calories and working out isn't revolutionary, it's a mainstay of cutting.

ReelBigFish
07-21-2005, 10:33 PM
keep lifting and lift heavy. The more stimulus you put to your muscles, (esp. while cutting) your body will say "hey, these muscles are being used, I better hang on to them" instead of doing what it does best, and break them down into glycogen.