PDA

View Full Version : Cutting

sharkall2003
07-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Could someone please explain to me how you go about cutting? I am just wondering because I want to keep all the muscle mass I have but lose the fat that I have. Right now I am 6" 185lbs and I would like to be between 165-170. If I could I would like to be there by the end of August.

Built
07-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Okay, well, weight loss can be achieved by creating a caloric deficit between what you consume and what you expend.

Muscle is more metabolically active than fat, so your body will want to ditch this "expensive" stuff when the funds are low.

That's why you keep lifting heavy - your volume will likely drop, but you try to keep the intensity up so you convince your body that you really do need to hang on to this muscle.

You have to be sure not to drop cals too fast or your body will know it's in a famine, and compensate by slowing down your metabolic rate.

You also have to keep up your proteins and healthy fats so your muscle mass and endocrine systems are supported. This usually means, per pound LBM (just use goal weight, close enough) a minimum of 1-1.5g protein and 0.5g/lb fat, same as bulking or maintenance. The rest is up to you.