PDA

View Full Version : Body Fat Percentage

liftaddict
07-22-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm looking to buy something to measure my body fat %. I just wanted to get peoples opinions on what is fairly accurate on a cheap budget. I don't really have any idea about how much these things cost, or how they work. At walmart they have weigth scales with built in bf%. Any comments?

ShockBoxer
07-22-2005, 08:31 AM
How is a machine with no eyes supposed to see how large your muscles are? The thing will probably just take your weight, ask for your height, and then scream that you've got 50% body fat and are about to die.

Don't see how it can be any other way...

liftaddict
07-22-2005, 08:34 AM
How is a machine with no eyes supposed to see how large your muscles are?

Um, I don't think bf% has anything to do with how big your muscles are...Any serious responses?

ShockBoxer
07-22-2005, 08:37 AM
That was my point exactly, though. It doesn't ... but how is the machine supposed to know that? Muscle weighs more than fat so how is the machine supposed to tell the difference? Wouldn't it just take your height, take your weight, consult it's internal database for what a person that height *should* weigh, and conclude that you must have a lot of body fat?

I'll go look into how the machines determine BF%.

Le edit: Ok, looks like the things send electricity through your body to measure composition. The march of technology and all. I'm still not sold on it being accurate but it looks to be a lot better than I'd feared.

liftaddict
07-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Can someone tell me how you go about measuring your bf%?? C'mon, I'm sure plenty of you do...

ShockBoxer
07-22-2005, 09:13 AM
http://www.topendsports.com/testing/tests/skinfolds.htm

I just have my gym do it... but they pretty much do what that link says.

Max-Mex
07-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Ok before the whole calipers vs BF scales gets outta hand, this topic has been discussed ad naseum. Just do a search for it. Just pick one, scale or calipers and log the numbers. If numbers go down, then you're on the righ path. If you see yourself getting more defined, then you are on the right path.

BG5150
07-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Other than just knowing what your bodyfat % is, why do people obsess about it? I think the biggest test is the mirror...If you look in the mirror and you think you look fat, lose the fat. If you think you look okay, then don't do anything. if you look skinny, then add.

I can (kinda) understand why people would want to know, but then what?

tigo
07-24-2005, 04:11 AM
if you want a cheap on go on ebay, its nice too
around 10 bucks including shipping

throw in extra 5 you geta myo tape
works nice :d

Shao-LiN
07-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Other than just knowing what your bodyfat % is, why do people obsess about it? I think the biggest test is the mirror...If you look in the mirror and you think you look fat, lose the fat. If you think you look okay, then don't do anything. if you look skinny, then add.

I can (kinda) understand why people would want to know, but then what?

So they see a quantifiable measurement of their progress, plus it gives people a sense of hope to reach a specific goal.

Deeman
07-24-2005, 09:13 AM
if you want a cheap on go on ebay, its nice too
around 10 bucks including shipping

throw in extra 5 you geta myo tape
works nice :d

Funny you said that, I searched for it on Ebay last night and will order them this week. IMO - nothing is 100% accurate but calipers are a decent measure.

Here's the link if you're interested.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44078&item=7170476176&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW