PDA

View Full Version : Diet Coke

Dedicated
07-22-2005, 03:10 PM
I recently discovered Diet Coke. It has zero calories. Is there any reason not to drink lots of it? I am cutting. Thanks.

Built
07-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Can't think of any.

shansen008
07-22-2005, 03:38 PM
The aftertaste?

I cant stand any diet soda unless its made with splenda...then its bearable.

Water = no aftertaste, wins hands down in my book.

CB
07-22-2005, 03:48 PM
I recently discovered Diet Coke. It has zero calories. Is there any reason not to drink lots of it? I am cutting. Thanks.

It may not have any cals/carbs but I believe diet soda does contain a good amount of sodium, so if you are watching your sodium intake on your cut, that might be a concern for monitoring how much diet ssoda you drink. Just my $0.02

Dedicated
07-22-2005, 04:13 PM
It is the kind that is low in sodium, 30 mg per 8oz. Thanks for the replies:)

Ryder
07-22-2005, 04:21 PM
All fizzy pop is the Devils work. The only thing I have drank in months is water.

sphillip40
07-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Fizz and sodium aside, the only thing i'd worry about are all the chemicals in diet coke or in sodas in general. That's my reason for staying away from them. The less chemicals i put in my system, the happier i am, of course this may be all mental. :idea:

Built
07-22-2005, 05:36 PM
It may not have any cals/carbs but I believe diet soda does contain a good amount of sodium, so if you are watching your sodium intake on your cut, that might be a concern for monitoring how much diet ssoda you drink. Just my $0.02
Why would you be watching sodium on a cut? (other than precontest)

K.Huget
07-22-2005, 06:15 PM
If you are going to drink a diet cola at least make it Diet Pepsi. Pepsi does a much better job at keeping it as close to the real thing as possible. Don't live off of it or anything, but as a treat it's pretty much harmless.

There are those people who say aspartame causes cancer, even though there has never been a study to prove it.

SW
07-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Take in water works draining amounts of water, and the sodium won't be in your body for an hour. Besides, 25-60 mg of sodium is NOTHING.

Shao-LiN
07-22-2005, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't be drinking it like it's water, but it's perfectly fine to drink.

getfit
07-22-2005, 07:26 PM
does crystal light count? i'm addicted thanks to ryuage! ;)

Gutz981
07-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Sodium...Whats so bad about it? Should I avoid it?

PS sorry about this quick question its your thread not mine

Built
07-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Sodium is your friend
http://chemo.net/sodium-.htm

Gutz981
07-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Oh hellz yeah! I'mma go down some salt now! lol

CB
07-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Why would you be watching sodium on a cut? (other than precontest)

I wasn't really sure what his goal was so I thought I'd mention it just in case.

bgs1154
07-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Arn't carbonated drinks bad for your bones? Or so I heard.

mercury
07-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Arn't carbonated drinks bad for your bones? Or so I heard.
It is thought to leech the calicum from your bones.

Plus Diet Coke isn't good for your teeth, since the ph of it is very acidic.

CiteCollegiale
07-23-2005, 10:37 AM
mmmm....high fructose corn syrup

Shao-LiN
07-23-2005, 11:03 AM
mmmm....high fructose corn syrup

..which is not in diet soda products.

Dedicated
07-23-2005, 11:21 AM
It is thought to leech the calicum from your bones.

Plus Diet Coke isn't good for your teeth, since the ph of it is very acidic.
It is the sodium that does that. It's bad for women who have say osteoperosis(sp?) or are prone to it.

mercury
07-23-2005, 01:36 PM
It is the sodium that does that. It's bad for women who have say osteoperosis(sp?) or are prone to it.
Actually not it isn't the sodium that does that. The active ingredient in most soda pop is phosphoric acid. The pH of most soda pop is 2.8, which is very acidic. Ingesting a highly acidic drink like soda pop does the opposite and is very detrimental to your health. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis. Phosphorus, which occurs naturally in some foods and is used as an additive in many others, appears to promote the loss of calcium, thus weakening bones. With less calcium available, the bones become more porous and prone to fracture. There is growing concern that even a few cans of soda pop per day can be damaging when they are consumed during the critical bone-building years of adolescence and childhood.

Paul Stagg
07-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Since the pH of your stomach acid is around 1.5, I don't see how the pH of diet soda would be an issue, unless you don't swallow it, you instead just hold it in your mouth.

All these facts - can you give us a source that isn't some anti-soda website?

Dedicated
07-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Actually not it isn't the sodium that does that. The active ingredient in most soda pop is phosphoric acid. The pH of most soda pop is 2.8, which is very acidic. Ingesting a highly acidic drink like soda pop does the opposite and is very detrimental to your health. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis. Phosphorus, which occurs naturally in some foods and is used as an additive in many others, appears to promote the loss of calcium, thus weakening bones. With less calcium available, the bones become more porous and prone to fracture. There is growing concern that even a few cans of soda pop per day can be damaging when they are consumed during the critical bone-building years of adolescence and childhood.

That is interesting.

Anyways I was not talking about phosphorus, I was talking about sodium. Roughly speaking, for every two extra grams of dietary sodium you take in amount of calcium absorbed is decreased by 30 to 40 mg. Anyways I don't think it's a big deal unless you are a woman. I have a friend who has osteoperosis and her doctor told her to lower her sodium intake. I mean there's lots of stuff that can stop calcium absorption, for example extremely high caffeine intake or extremely high protein intake can hinder it. We are talking extremes though, and if you supplement with calcium or a multi you are probably alright. Again, I don't think it's a big deal. Everything is bad or good in some sense, it's an endless discussion:) But I do think that women should watch there sodium intake.

Shao-LiN
07-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Yah, I never really understood the teeth reference. It's not like I gargle the stuff, hits the back of my throat and swallow. All these infomercials that show some dentures decaying in soda...who the hell leaves soda in their mouth that long?

Dedicated
07-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Yah, I never really understood the teeth reference. It's not like I gargle the stuff, hits the back of my throat and swallow. All these infomercials that show some dentures decaying in soda...who the hell leaves soda in their mouth that long?
A bit offtopic but I once did a science project where I put meat in soda and the meat dissolved within a few days. I completely forgot what the reason was for this happening. Of course this doesn't happen to that extent in our stomachs though or else soda would kill us lol.

mercury
07-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Not a question of holding it in your mouth for a long time. People who drink soda drink more than once in their life times. Your teeth are affected by repeated exposure to the soda. A simliar health isssue would be tooth decay. Eating one piece of candy won't contribute to tooth decay, but making it a life style of eating it can.

mercury
07-23-2005, 04:42 PM
That is interesting.

Anyways I was not talking about phosphorus, I was talking about sodium. Roughly speaking, for every two extra grams of dietary sodium you take in amount of calcium absorbed is decreased by 30 to 40 mg. Anyways I don't think it's a big deal unless you are a woman. I have a friend who has osteoperosis and her doctor told her to lower her sodium intake. I mean there's lots of stuff that can stop calcium absorption, for example extremely high caffeine intake or extremely high protein intake can hinder it. We are talking extremes though, and if you supplement with calcium or a multi you are probably alright. Again, I don't think it's a big deal. Everything is bad or good in some sense, it's an endless discussion:) But I do think that women should watch there sodium intake.
Real good info, Dedicated! As for the phosphorus/calcium balance, the average joe should worry about that more than anybody on this board, since many would be taking a supplement that contains calcium like you mention.

Paul Stagg
07-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Sources?

Especially for the 'ingesting acidic products are really bad for your health'.

bradley
07-24-2005, 06:19 AM
I would like to see a source for this info as well, and I doubt you are going to find a peer reviewed study stating that diet soda is detrimental to your health. As far as diet soda is concerned, I would like to say that Coca-Cola Zero is fantastic.:nod:

stallion
07-24-2005, 06:30 AM
Uhh..yah...I put one of my baby teeth in Coke a long, long time ago and after about 4 months, it looked exactly the same.

Point: Drink the diet stuff if you want, but don't drink only soda. Water is just so damn pure and good--why drink much else?

ryuage
07-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Uhh..yah...I put one of my baby teeth in Coke a long, long time ago and after about 4 months, it looked exactly the same.

Point: Drink the diet stuff if you want, but don't drink only soda. Water is just so damn pure and good--why drink much else?

for the same reason you dont eat one specific piece of food every day... day in and day out.

mrwalken
07-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Oh common, you cant have a thread about the safety of diet coke without bringing up the whole aspartame thing. I'm not saying I believe it, but is there really enough evidence that its safe to take the risk, unless you really love the stuff?

http://www.aspartame.com/
http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/
http://www.dorway.com/

bradley
07-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Oh common, you cant have a thread about the safety of diet coke without bringing up the whole aspartame thing. I'm not saying I believe it, but is there really enough evidence that its safe to take the risk, unless you really love the stuff?

http://www.aspartame.com/
http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/
http://www.dorway.com/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12180494&query_hl=3

YungLifter
07-24-2005, 10:17 AM
So aspartame is safe?

Shao-LiN
07-24-2005, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't go downing a gallon of diet soda a day, but having one or two now and then won't kill you.

SW
07-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Diet dr. pepper is the drink of the Gods. That is all.

mrwalken
07-24-2005, 10:50 AM
So aspartame is safe?

I think its hard to say, really. Unfortunately, the FDA is a joke. They made a ton of money by streamlining the approval of aspartame without doing any substantial human testing. Even now, the only studies confirming aspartame's longterm safety were conducted by nutrasweet. Overwhelming anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that the stuff is poison. It may just be paranoia. Its up to you, just dont trust everything the FDA tells you. Up until this year, they advocated a food pyramid with 7-9 servings of bread with a picture of wonder bread on it. Hmmmmm....

mrwalken
07-24-2005, 10:51 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12180494&query_hl=3

So nutrasweet has concluded that their product is safe beyond all shadow of doubt? Nice.

Bruise Brubaker
07-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Anything that is acidic will help to leach calcium from your bone, unless your calcium intake is high enough.
The stomach might be acidic, but the body produces substances like HCO3 to neutralize it.
Anyway, whatever mechanism is involved, drink a lot of soda and your urine will be more acidic (and your saliva, etc)...

There a whole thing about this, people believing that people nowadays are eating too much acidic food and not enough of alkalizing food (fruits (even the acidic ones), veggies, some cereals (not wheat...)).

Paul Stagg
07-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Where are all the dead people?

Obviously ingesting excessive amounts of any sbustance can be harmful. All of the 'evidence' showing how awful aspartame is used rediculous amounts, and used tests on animals. Not once has anyone shown a link to health problems and drinking even several cans of diet soda a day. Same goes for the acidic concern someone posted. Citrus is also very acidic, but having some lemonade isn't going to put you in an early grave. Putting a vinagrette on your salad won't put you in the hospital.

Until I see some real evidence otherwise, I suggest keeping the myths to yourselves.

Bruise Brubaker
07-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Dead people?
Look at all those suffering from bones problems, while a lot of people in the world, in the present and in the past, never take or took dairy products yet do not have bones problems.

That high need (and RDA) for calcium and therefore dairy products is not normal.
It's very hard to reach the RDA without dairies.

Shao-LiN
07-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Are you saying those suffering from bone problems are doing so as a result of soda intake? Is there anything you can reference?

waynis
07-24-2005, 02:10 PM
no calories making you more hungry later might be a downside.

Built
07-24-2005, 03:02 PM
no calories making you more hungry later might be a downside.
This is a very real consideration. For me, dieting effectively is all about appetite control.

mrwalken
07-24-2005, 04:06 PM
This is a very real consideration. For me, dieting effectively is all about appetite control.

Indeed, fake sugar makes you want to eat more. Numerous studies have proven that people lose more weight drinking only water than water and diet pop, even though the calorie total is the same.

http://foxnews.webmd.com/content/article/107/108476?src=rss_foxnews

Bruise Brubaker
07-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Are you saying those suffering from bone problems are doing so as a result of soda intake? Is there anything you can reference?

Not just soda intake, but an overall high acidic food intake.

This and lack of exercise would probably be the main factors.

This is my opinion, based on what I've read. I do not have specific sources.
I've quickly made a search on pubmed and, altough not directly related, I found this, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=7250388&query_hl=3, which conclude that there should be a certain ratio of calcium to phosphorus, and that a ratio above 1 to 2 indicate on animal studies that there is a risk of bone loss.

Paul Stagg
07-24-2005, 07:08 PM
My opinion, based on what I have read, is that your opinion is based on myth and unsubstantiated innuendo.

Facts are your friend.

How many diet sodas per day would create a problem? When has diet soda intake and bone loss in humans been studied?

Patz
07-24-2005, 07:32 PM
I thought women got osteoperosis after menopause, due to all that craziness, and loss of hormones and such..

I';ll have to tell my mom it was teh diet coke..damn...oooooooooh the humanity!!

Majestic
07-24-2005, 08:45 PM
As far as diet soda is concerned, I would like to say that Coca-Cola Zero is fantastic.:nod:

:cool:

Coke Zero is my favorite diet soda, period. Unless you're one of those that actually likes the crushed-a**hole taste of Diet Coke, and hates real Coke, you will enjoy Coke Zero. It's the real deal.

zimbo
07-24-2005, 09:26 PM
While averaging about 1-2 cans of diet soda and/or Crystal Light, I lost about 50 pounds in six months and am now in the best cardiovascular and muscular shape of my life. My cholesterol is low despite a family history of problems. I asked my physician about diet soda and he said that in moderation (i.e. a couple of cans a day or less) it was fine in his opinion but that he personally didn't like the effects of caffeine.

My advice: drink water rather than soda when you're thirsty--and throughout the day--but if you like something sweet with a meal then a can or two of diet soda now and then isn't measurably detrimental to your health.

--Steve

Shao-LiN
07-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Not just soda intake, but an overall high acidic food intake.

This and lack of exercise would probably be the main factors.

This is my opinion, based on what I've read. I do not have specific sources.
I've quickly made a search on pubmed and, altough not directly related, I found this, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=7250388&query_hl=3, which conclude that there should be a certain ratio of calcium to phosphorus, and that a ratio above 1 to 2 indicate on animal studies that there is a risk of bone loss.

Ok, so where have you read this?

Bruise Brubaker
07-25-2005, 10:53 AM
On the Internet.

Shao-LiN
07-25-2005, 06:14 PM
So, any links to something related other than the one you provided?...