PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid of the Fat!!

Guelphguy
07-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Been working out for a few years now...I work in management, realized one day that I was 230lbs without any muscle at all...so I started to hit the gym at lunch time. I am now 32 years old, married with a 3.5 year old daughter so be easy on me...lol...
I am pretty much self taught and here is where I am currently:

http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/1020/upperface3fs.jpg
http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/9440/10038208el.jpg
http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/9886/legs1ik.jpg
http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/8633/down32zx.jpg
http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/1004/fullfrontalsmall3qp.jpg
http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/6435/back21gw.jpg
http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/5818/topbodscaleddown9yv.jpg

Guelphguy
07-23-2005, 08:43 AM
I still would like to get rid of at least 15lbs,

Here is my current routine:

10 min cardio warm-up.....I have a 45 min workout time each lunch so I hit one muscle group a day (5 days)

Mon: Chest - max 280lbs bench
Tues: Bi
Wed: Legs
Thurs: Tri
Fri: Back

I think that my diet is my weak point.

Guelphguy
07-23-2005, 08:47 AM
7 AM - Bananna/yogurt, Multivitamin, (cylce off on 24mg ephedrine/200mg caffeine)
9AM - Protein shake
11AM - Creatine and Glutamine
11:30-12:30 - WORKOUT
12:30 - Protein Shake
2:30 - yogort/apple and/or bananna
6:00 - Normal meal, chicken, salad, whatever....
9:00 - another protein shake....

Guelphguy
07-23-2005, 08:48 AM
I know I need to focus more on my legs and I would like to grow some wings....
Any feedback would be great!!

I am currently 5'11" and weigh 212lbs.

Bohizzle
07-23-2005, 09:14 AM
ur looking solid! the only thing i'd do, other than what u already said, concentrating on legs and back, but also add in a shoulder day (maybe combine ur bi and tri days?) hope that helps.

Andrew

Canadian Crippler
07-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Lookin' good bro.

The routine is terrible to be honest. Think of the size of your bicep, and now think of the size of your quads, hamstrings, glutes, and calves combined. Does it make any sense that they get even amount of work?

Geeper
07-23-2005, 11:12 AM
I agree with what's been said, you are a big guy! (legs and shoulders are a little behind but good size! Traps in INSANE)

Start tracking your diet in fitday (fitday.com), almost everyone here does and it works great (and it's free). Get some healthy fats in there, 1-2 g of protein per pound of body weight etc.. all this basic stuff about food and macronutrients is all over this site, and I'm sure you've seen it all.

With your size, with the right diet you could rip up in no time! It really is all about diet.

CC is right, your routine is lacking and you could probably make much better gains with a better routine. (and better use of your time) A whole day for bi's and then another for tri's is way overkill (bi's also get worked with your back and tri's with your shoulders and chest). There are guys on here with 20"+ arms that do NO direct arm work.

5 days a week is not very popular around here but some favorites would be

mon-chest
tues-back
wed-legs
thurs-shoulders
fri-arms

mon-chest/tri's
tues-back/bi's
wed-legs/shoulders
thurs-rest
fri-start from beginning again

mon-push (chest, tri, shoulders, quads)
tues-pull (back, bi's, hamstrings)
wed-cardio
thurs-push
fri-pull

mon-chest, tri's, shoulders
tues-rest
wed-back, bi's
thurs-rest
fri-legs

Again.. great job.. especially self taught... prefect the diet and train to use your time more effectively and you'll get to anywhere you want to be. Sorry for going on......

Canadian Crippler
07-23-2005, 11:40 AM
mon-push (chest, tri, shoulders, quads)
tues-pull (back, bi's, hamstrings)
wed-cardio
thurs-push
fri-pullI really don't see the point in this and why a good number of people do it. If you're gonna do a 2 day split why not stick with upper/lower?

Guelphguy
07-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the input so far...to be quite honest, as I say I am self taught, was tired of being out of shape and just decided to go at it....but I was feeling it was a little unstructured so that is why I started this post to get some advice as to what I should be working on...
It is funny how one day you go oh crap I did get big arms/chest but was ignoring the legs...so I have started to hit them hard as they were the one muscle that I pretty much ignored....

Appreciate the input...

The reason I do a muscle a day is that I work in an office 9-5 and get an hour for lunch, so I squeeze my workout in over a 45 min period....if I did not go to the gym at lunch then I would sit at my desk eating fast food like everyone else...lol...so it is all good.!!

Built
07-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Hey, you're a monster! You really pack on muscle well!

Just need to cut up a bit to show it off, and yes, keep working on the leggies and wingspan!

I'd ditch the pre-lifting cardio, or drop it down to 3 minutes, max, but maybe start tacking 10-15 mins of cardio at the end - you'll burn some fat with it that way.

For legs, if you're not already doing them, squats and SLDLs, for wingspan, nothing else is chins, especially slow negatives. I also do overhand vertical lat stretches - I try to tuck 4 stretches on each side between lat exercises.

(Hold a vertical bar - edge of the squat cage works fine - with an OVERHAND, not an underhand, grip. Pull your lats until you feel the muscle separating from the bone. Hold. Stretches out the fascia, gives the muscle room to grow - at least in theory)

Feel free to look at my cutting diet for ideas if it helps.

And welcome!

Beast
07-23-2005, 03:29 PM
You'll look great once you've cut down some. I agree with what Built said - keep the pre-workout cardio to under 5 mins, and add some cardio after the lifting.

Traps are enormous, by the way.

cosmicdebree88
07-23-2005, 04:56 PM
mon-chest
tues-back
wed-legs
thurs-shoulders
fri-arms

I'm about to start that exact split (for what it's worth...). There's nothing wrong with 3-day splits, I just like being able to focus on one muscle group at a time. I also tend to lose focus with longer sessions.

jtteg_x
07-23-2005, 07:40 PM
cardio after your workout. (assuming your goal is muscle gains)

Built
07-24-2005, 03:03 AM
cardio after your workout. (assuming your goal is muscle gains)
Cardio after your workout, no matter WHAT your goal is.

jtteg_x
07-24-2005, 03:05 AM
what if goal = cutting. you'd always be doing cardio though lol

Built
07-24-2005, 03:40 AM
what if goal = cutting. you'd always be doing cardio though lol

If your goal is cutting, you focus on your diet.

And do your cardio AFTER you lift.

Guelphguy
07-24-2005, 07:59 AM
Here is a question...since the concensus seems to be cardio AFTER lift....we do have a gym at work of which I usually don't go becuase it is only full of universal crud but nice treadmills and ellipticals. If I did 30-40 min of cardio before work 6AM and then did my weights at lunch 11:30-12:30....would that be over-training?

Geeper
07-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Cardio first thing in the morn (on an empty stomach) is arguably the best fat burning cardio. I say arguably cause it's pretty hotly debated around here... I believe it works

Guelphguy
07-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Is that too much however, doing to cardio in the morning and then doing my weightlifting at lunchtime 11:30-12:30?

Built
07-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Here is a question...since the concensus seems to be cardio AFTER lift....we do have a gym at work of which I usually don't go becuase it is only full of universal crud but nice treadmills and ellipticals. If I did 30-40 min of cardio before work 6AM and then did my weights at lunch 11:30-12:30....would that be over-training?

It's not just a concensus, it's because research supports that it burns more fat and more calories when you do it this way.

Most of the articles I've read suggest separating cardio and lifting by at least 8 hours if you do the cardio first.

Patz
07-24-2005, 02:18 PM
man you're big!

That's some great progress for a couple years worth of lunch breaks. I agree you should hit the shoulders and legs harder, and tighten up the diet. You'll be amazed at what a clean 2,500 calories can do, when compared with a less clean 2,500 calories..even if you're still getting that protein from both.

And, damn! Those traps are insane!

Guido
07-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Wow, you must have great genetics. Looking good, man. Especially those traps and pecs- HYUGE. Looks like your core/legs need the most improvement to balance out your physique. Just goes to show that you don't need to spend loads of time in the gym to see good results!

twm
07-25-2005, 10:48 AM
looking large, needs more back and leg work

Guelphguy
07-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all the feedback...

I had worked-out off and on when I was younger but never seriously...think I used to go more to gawk at girls and joke around with some friends...
When I started this time around, I really got into a "zone" working out, concentrating on that particular muscle and always pushing myself to lift more...
I attribute my current success to the "MENTAL" aspect of lifting weights...no joke it was like I became ONE with the steel...hee hee
Anyway from most of your suggestions and more research I plan to take things to the next level. I have gotten a small fridge at my desk and loaded it up with some carrots, cook ahead some chick breast and just planning to eat more frequently through the day. I used to take my glut/creatine mix B4 my workout switched that to after and I have moved my cardio to after my workout and plan to go from 10 min cardio to 20 min and try not to overwork the muscle group. I am planning to add in more squats/deadlift/dips/chin-ups..
I think all that will help me to the next level.....

rookiebldr
07-25-2005, 04:39 PM
mon-chest
tues-back
wed-legs
thurs-shoulders
fri-arms
I'm about to start that exact split (for what it's worth...). There's nothing wrong with 3-day splits, I just like being able to focus on one muscle group at a time. I also tend to lose focus with longer sessions.

That's what I've been doing for the last 6mo - 9mo.

Guelphguy, you're doing great so far. You've definitely packed on some serious muscle there. Keep up the great work.

djreef
07-25-2005, 04:40 PM
I dunno - I'm oldschool. I prefer to keep it simple. I say keep your calorie intake the same and add 4 sets of squats, and 4 sets of heavy deadlifts per week, on different days of course. You could kill 2 birds with one stone just by doing these extra 8 sets of calorie burning compound movements per week.

DJ

Guelphguy
07-25-2005, 05:14 PM
deadlift on back day I assume with squats on leg day?

cosmicdebree88
07-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Squats should definitly be on leg day. I prefer DLs on back day but that is debatable.

SW
07-25-2005, 06:49 PM
You look pretty good. Nothing jumps out at me to be uneven or underworked.

bill
07-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Nice job, keep hitting your legs.

djreef
07-25-2005, 11:14 PM
I train by feel, so what ever works. You don't have to live by schedule as long as the work gets done. You could do 2 sets of squats on back day if you've got the go, 2 sets on leg day. You could split the deads up also. 8 additional sets total per week, it doesn't matter the combination. Hell, if you wanted to designate a day to just doing squats and deads, if you only did 8 sets that'd be OK, too. Just be careful not to overtrain. If your weights, and/or reps for the same ammount of weights are moving up then go with it. One thing is for certain though, after your light warmup sets, you definitely want to do your compounds first. You want to be at your strongest - least fatigued - when doing these so your form doesn't slip, as these are the movements that are likely to **** you up if you lose form.

DJ

cosmicdebree88
07-25-2005, 11:33 PM
these are the movements that are likely to **** you up if you lose form.

Very true. My back just finished recovering from twisting my torso while attempting a 405 DL... :cry: