PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To The Jungle!

jack_of_all
07-23-2005, 12:58 PM
ok, now ive got a really cool title going :D

im changing my routine to this one that i posted in the bb/fitness forum: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=67468

it may be slightly modded from my orginial draft, ie less volume probably.

ill be training more instinctively with it (hence, the jungle :D ) since i can vary the exercises more and i will be lifting in a rep range rather that aiming at a set number of goal reps and moving up once i hit it. ill be hitting different parts of the rep range with the only thing in common that im giving it full effort (though generally my assistance exercises wont be to failure).

for the most part, my lifts have all replatuead and didnt really budge with my old routine. my bench is within 5 lbs of what it was 4 months ago and so is my dead (my squat is down), im going into this routine a little pissed at lifting. its far from my last hope, but if it doesnt work im really up the creek... (btw, i lift for strength so having my lifts all stall is a HUGE deal)

one day, i hope to look back at this first post of a very long thread and see that ive come so far from the doubtful lifter who started it.

starting monday ill be posting here with my workout data. for my own personal use however, im now recording my workouts in a notebook instead of on typed up charts from excel. because of this, id thought about titling the thread "the notebook" but the obvious movie connotation is not a positive one for lifting :)

any way, see you all on monday.

drew
07-23-2005, 01:17 PM
:spam:

jack_of_all
07-25-2005, 12:27 PM
todays workout. upper body push.

flat bench

45X10
95X8
136X6
155X6
180X3
180X3
150X5 (pause & explode)
160X4 (pause & explode)

DB Flt Bench ( weight used is not each side, total of both dbs)

150X3 (oops!)
120X8

BB CG Incline Bench (got somewhat fatigued finding what weight to use and my rack setup)

100X5
100X5

dips (shortened my rest to 2 minutes from 4, BAD idea)

bwX3
bwX3

triangle push ups (where your hands touch and make a triangle)

bwX2 (gimme a break, im wearing down at this point :D. plus i find these really hard normally)
bwX0 (ouch lmao not resting long enough on those dips sure didnt help either)

push downs

50X7
50X5

pretty good for the first workout, i had to work out some bugs with the bench, pins, hooks, positions' and what weights were best to use in some cases. also messed up my rest times, next time it will be all at least 3 mins after warm up is over. this was really rough, im glad i didnt try to stick with 3 sets per exercise.

harv
07-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Wow nice volume! Good work...you're gonna have some serious DOMS :)

jack_of_all
07-26-2005, 12:45 PM
yeh, i do have some serious DOMS :D

today was lower body pull

deadlifts

45X10 (sumo, i normally do conventional)
135X8 (sumo)
185X8 (sumo)
205X5 (sumo)
225X3 (sumo, lost balance)
225X5 (sumo)
275X3 (conventional)
245X3 (conventional w/ legs touching. oww! my balls! no wonder i dont do them this way)

rack pulls (used slow eccentric since theres less ROM. did them a little heavier than i planned)

275X4
275X3

SLDL

135X8 (too easy)
155X8 (thats better)

didnt do hyper extensions because my set up idea turned out to be bogus.

leg curls

45X6
45X6

next session of lower body pull will have more volume, im going to do another set of sldls and rack pulls next time. i noticed that when i dont use VERY strict form on SLDLS its really easy so i need to focus on form when i add weight to them. once i have the flexibility and form down ill do them from an elevated position.

PizDoff
07-26-2005, 09:39 PM
You got fun and games!

jack_of_all
07-29-2005, 10:57 AM
You got fun and games!

you bet i do :D

today was upper body pull. i had thought about doing it push pull push pull but the doms in my hamstrings is still pretty bad so i figure another day and i can have my lower body push just fine (squats will really stress them, plus the boundary between push and pull in the lower body really isnt there, its all very similar), and the doms from my coming leg workout wont be much of a problem because my legs will have begun to adapt to the new volume.

bb rows
45X10
75X8
95X6
110X6
125X3
125X3
115X4
115X4

Upright rows (soon to be replaced with shrugs probably)
95X5
95X5

hammer curls
40X4
35X6

one arm db rows (supersetted each side)
65X6 (right)
65X6 (left)
65X3 (right)
65X3 (left)

chin ups
bwX3
bwX3

pull ups
bwX2
bwX1

overall, ill go a little lighter next week.

KevinStarke
07-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Great rows man, good workout.

jack_of_all
07-30-2005, 07:05 AM
today was the first day of my new routine that didnt go well. my hamstrings STILL hurt and were definitley pre-fatigued. i know its been a while since i did any normal squats but theres no way i got THIS much weaker. plus the way i was failing seemed like my tired hamstrings were making it very stressful to keep good and upright at the bottom.

Squats
45X10
95X8
135X6
185X3 (first sign of something wrong, these were unusually hard for a warm up set)
210X0 (uh oh!)
200X1 (i used to be able to do ATF at 215, now i have a hard time with just a deep squat at 200. theres NO way i lost that much strength when not squatting.)

since my hamstrings would have gotten even more fried during the ensuing good mornings and lunges, i bypassed them and went straight to leg extensions (which made me glad i wasnt in a gym because i would have looked like a total pussy going through this short workout that didnt amount to anything)

leg extensions
60X7
60X7
60X6

this workout was definitley hard on my pride and pissed me off that i didnt get to do the stuff i was looking forward too, but i think i made the right decision since ive gotta do my dl day on tuesday and by then my hamstrings have GOT to be better or ill be overtraining and have to do something else.

KevinStarke
07-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Squats still looking strong to me.

jack_of_all
08-01-2005, 12:25 PM
today was upper body push

flat bench
45X10
95X8
135X6
155X6
180X3 ( i went for a 4th and failed)
180X2 (fatigued from the failure rep the set before)

it was right here that i pretty much dispaired, its as if i got WEAKER! i almost quit right right there, but then i started to reason with myself and concluded that since i went for that 4th rep the set before and failed about a third the way up that i had worn myself out more and that was the reason i hadnt pushed as much afterward. ok, so i didnt get any stronger though. i decided that i needed to do something where i could move lots more weight (to stress my CNS more since im trying to get better strength/weight wise), and i needed to do it for only a couple reps at a time (to prevent muscle break down, im in a caloric defecit so im more likely to get stronger if i avoid over-taxing my bodies ability to heal the muscles).

rather than doing 2 more sets of flat bench i unloaded the bar, moved my bench, put the racks pins to the bottom and got set up for some...

floor presses
225X1
225X1, 225X1 (did 2 singles with no significant pause between them)
225X1, 225X1 (just like above)
225X1, 225X1

CG incline press
100X9 (WOW, i guess i DID get stronger. last time i pushed 100X5. unfortunatley this probably brought about some unintended muscle breakdown since it was so many reps)
115X4 (thats better)

DB Press
130X3 (dunno why, but i felt like i had done enough lifting at this point and figured i was done)

in the future im going to add in skull crushers.

jack_of_all
08-02-2005, 12:28 PM
today i started off with dls and went for a max triple at 285. ive done it before but my form wasnt strict. i nailed it and used almost no chalk too (i ran out), and i barely made it. the last rep was so hard on my that i struggled to do 265 for 1 over 5 minutes later. i figuered that i had done plenty for the day and that the triple i had done was a good workout in and of itself. i would have thrown in some rack pulls maybe but my chalk is out.

KevinStarke
08-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Great benching and deadlifting jack.

jack_of_all
08-05-2005, 05:45 PM
ok, today was a really damn busy day and im not going to be doing upper body pull.

the start of XC at my school is in a few days and i seem to have made the team. i had never really thought about the shear workload of all the running 5 days a week for several miles, obviously im not going to continue this cut during the season.

so since i have to bulk through the season, im changing over to westside after the first week (i might not lift the first week of school because im going to be adjusting to the running volume).

i actually figure that with all the distance running i might be able to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time since that type of exercise tends to burn fat during its duration (and with that much duration i actually can burn a considerable amount) but when im in a net caloric surplus going into the night time my body is able to repair and build muscle. so ill tend to burn fat and tend to gain muscle in the long run... of course, doing both is a problem in and of itself since progress on both of these will be slower than nomal, but im going to try my best to eat my way through the season and come out stronger and leaner.

jack_of_all
08-06-2005, 03:32 PM
today was lower body push day

squats (roughly halfway between paralell and ATF)

45X10
95X8
135X6
155X6
205X3

then i tried to do GMs for the first time and had some major problems. i think ill go post a thread in pl'ing section asking about gm's and which variations are the best to do and so forth.

jack_of_all
08-08-2005, 04:59 AM
today is my first day of this school year and i decided that it was a nice day to just find my max bench and be done with things.

i barley could press 175 for a triple. thats the same weight i could press for almost 6 like less than a month ago. when i hit 195X1, I FAILED! that means my bench is down at least 10 lbs. well my cut is over because of the XC season and i think it was a dumbass idea to lose weight as fast as i was doing it (about 3 lbs a week).

****, i just hope i can get the strength back without gaining back the 17.5 lbs.

jack_of_all
08-28-2005, 12:10 PM
maybe some of you have noticed that i have recently started posting again.

DIZAM my school year is rough (and XC is certainly not making it easier). practice goes from 3:45 to 5:30 almost every single day, it was supposed to be just 1.5 hours at MOST, we have had just two practices shorter than that since school started. and im no endurance athlete lol...

well anyway, i did westside for the past 2 weeks and got weaker all the while, now im going to go back to what i did through the summer with just basic compound movements since i think i was overcomplicating things, but im going to be doing 4X4 of each one twice a week. im going to do it like this:

monday: deadlifts, then squats. 4X4 for both, 4 mins rest between
wednesday: bench, T-bar row (actually done on a regular bar, but you get the movement idea. once someone mentioned in one of the sections on here that they called them caveman rows, well, its as good a name as any...), standing OH press (i would do millie, but id like to stagger my feet for better balance), and RG pulldown. 4X4 for all with 3 mins rest between

then i repeat mondays on thursday and wednesdays on saturday.

hows it look?