PDA

View Full Version : Is this too extreme for a cheat day?

flabbybones
07-24-2005, 06:05 PM
I like the idea of cheat days but I think I might be taking it too far. The last three weeks in a row I've had McDonalds for a cheat meal on my rest day. The first two times, I had 4 Sausage Egg McMuffins w/ cheese and 4 breakfast burritos (about 3400 calories on top of my usual 2500 calories for the day). It was sort of a toss back to my old eating days of when I was close to 450 pounds. It made me feel sick and bloated after I ate it, but it got the cravings out of the way and kept me motivated for the rest of the week. On the rest day of the last week, I had 6 Sausage Egg McMuffins w/ cheese for one meal (about 3300 calories on top of about 2000 calories that day).

Does this sound too extreme? Am I compromising my health because of this? I have a rest day coming up again on Tuesday and I'm not sure if I want to do this again.

KingWilder
07-24-2005, 06:12 PM
how can you eat that much garbage in one sitting?

I don't know that I would go to such an extreme, do you REALLY need 6 sausage egg mcmuffins?

Shao-LiN
07-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Splitting them up over the day is one thing, but wow, one sitting. I bow down to you, you really do take advantage of a cheat day, hehe.

I've had buffets on cheat days, and I don't think I even come close to that much.

flabbybones
07-24-2005, 06:34 PM
how can you eat that much garbage in one sitting?

I don't know that I would go to such an extreme, do you REALLY need 6 sausage egg mcmuffins?

When I was bigger I could eat 8 Whoppers from Burger King. So this is really nothing compared to that.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-24-2005, 06:36 PM
You should lay off the junk. That really isn't providing any benefit.

Shao-LiN
07-24-2005, 06:44 PM
I would still practice self control on cheat days to some extent. That really is kinda overdoing it...even if you could eat 8 whoppers in one sitting.

Scottyboy
07-24-2005, 06:46 PM
You may as well just quit the diet because all that **** will take more than a week of eating right to compensate for anyway.

flabbybones
07-24-2005, 06:50 PM
You may as well just quit the diet because all that **** will take more than a week of eating right to compensate for anyway.

Not an option. Even though I've been doing this for the past three weeks, I've still lost 5 pounds during that time.

Shao-LiN
07-24-2005, 07:29 PM
While you won't be gaining any significant amount of fat in a day's time, you certainly aren't doing your body any favors by consuming that much. Even if you are still losing weight, I would practice self restraint.

flabbybones
07-24-2005, 07:36 PM
While you won't be gaining any significant amount of fat in a day's time, you certainly aren't doing your body any favors by consuming that much. Even if you are still losing weight, I would practice self restraint.

What would you consider acceptable for a cheat day then?

pbsteve09
07-24-2005, 09:57 PM
you know what buddy...i found that if i dont just stuff myself silly on my cheat days, i find that i crave it throughout the week. Id rather destroy myself on 1 day, and then work super hard on the rest of the 6...than eat medium to low amounts on my cheat day and find myself craving it throughout the week. But thats just me

Patz
07-24-2005, 10:17 PM
8 whoppers is AMAZING...w0w

:bow:

I don't know what to say about the cheat day. I mean, 3500 calories is a pound. Is it worth it to gain a solid pound, just for a crapload of fast food that REALLY doesn't make you feel good?

I like to load up on stuff like pitas and hummus, peanut butter and crackers, etc. And when I have hotdogs or pizza, I just have two dogs or three slices. I really don't feel well if I eat much more, and it's not worth it to me to spend another two days at 1000 calories in order to make up for blasting myself for one day.

Built
07-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Personally, I'm a big fan of not fixing non-broken things.

If you can manage to continue losing at a reasonable pace doing this, then you're clearly fine.

If and when you stall, you'll have to rethink your strategy.

I go about a thousand or so calories over maintenance on a cheat day.

Shao-LiN
07-24-2005, 11:07 PM
I'd still reconsider downing 6-8 fat and carb loaded food products from McDonald's...regardless of whether he is losing weight or not.

Built
07-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Why, on principal?

Shao-LiN
07-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Moreso for health reasons, personally. I go on binges, but 6 sausage mcmuffins w/ cheese from McDonald's (knowing what they cook that crap in) doesn't quite agree sit right with me, personally. But to each his, or her, own.

Patz
07-24-2005, 11:22 PM
I can agree with built, except for that I think it's a mental barrier that you need to learn to control right now, while you're still seeing progress. Eating like that on a daily basis is what got you in this position, and now dieting and learning new, healthy habits is slowly getting you out of this position. What you need to think about is

.."When I finally come off this diet, will I be able to eat normally, or will I slowly revert to old habits that haven't truly been eradicated?"

It's all a mental game with you. Yesterday, I had pizza for dinner. I got two slices, ate those, and went after two more. Back a few months ago, 5-6 big slices would have been my normal meal, but last night I quit after the third and gave the fourth to my dad. I knew that I had eaten enough. Today it was hotdogs, and where 5 would have been the norm before, I knew that two of the most nutritionally worthless food in existence was plenty. My hunger was staisfied for hours, and I could still get around.

This whole thing is not only a physical change, but a mental one, and you have to come out of it a new person from head to toe, inside and out.

Best of luck..

Built
07-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Okay, well, to be fair, I usually just eat more of my usual, plus dessert on a cheat, but my cheats have gotten healthier over the years. Initially, my cheats were an entire dozen donuts.

flabbybones
07-24-2005, 11:55 PM
I can agree with built, except for that I think it's a mental barrier that you need to learn to control right now, while you're still seeing progress. Eating like that on a daily basis is what got you in this position, and now dieting and learning new, healthy habits is slowly getting you out of this position. What you need to think about is

.."When I finally come off this diet, will I be able to eat normally, or will I slowly revert to old habits that haven't truly been eradicated?"

It's all a mental game with you. Yesterday, I had pizza for dinner. I got two slices, ate those, and went after two more. Back a few months ago, 5-6 big slices would have been my normal meal, but last night I quit after the third and gave the fourth to my dad. I knew that I had eaten enough. Today it was hotdogs, and where 5 would have been the norm before, I knew that two of the most nutritionally worthless food in existence was plenty. My hunger was staisfied for hours, and I could still get around.

This whole thing is not only a physical change, but a mental one, and you have to come out of it a new person from head to toe, inside and out.

Best of luck..

Honestly, I didn't even start having cheat days until I started lurking around here =) I would definately never return to my old eating habits. I'm not even worried about that.

abwowang
07-25-2005, 01:26 AM
my take is this..
if ur gonna CHEAT.. frickin CHEAT.. my gosh do whatever u want.. inject lard if u want :)

but as for my case.. u can do better on ur cheat days.. to benefit urself.. say certain chocolates or sweets or desserts with plenty of nuts to provite some sort of protein.. there are always alternatives to 6 sausage muffins.. lol
very impressive tho.. haha

dissipate
07-25-2005, 06:52 AM
good post mrelwooddowd!!!

about cravings (this may be just me), the more i eat fast food/desserts/unhealthy stuff, the more the cravings come for more. but after say 2 weeks of not eating anything unhealthy, i forget what it all tastes like and am very happy with my oats and chicken breast... even if i get a big whiff of fries....... which i did today.

Manveet
07-25-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm surprised you are still losing weight doing that. Your calories are still relatively high for diet days (although I don't know what your maintainence cals are). Eating 5k cheat meals, well your cheat meals plus your regular meals, at the end of every week may not be the best thing in terms of fatloss.

SteveRaiken
07-25-2005, 03:22 PM
hahhaha thats funny.. hey if your going to cheat, cheat big!! lol your crazy man.. ive done that before

i acually ate 9 poppy seed bagels w/ cream cheese and one day

and i had prlly 2000 more calories on top of that thorugh the days lol funny stuff man

wrestlemaniac
07-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Despite what a lot of people might think, a healthy diet is reletive. If you ate 8 whoppers in 1 sitting and now you're eating that then you're eating less calories. You adjust over time. Although theres a lot better stuff you can eat and have the same amount of calories if you're headed in the right direction then you're doing something right.