PDA

View Full Version : Help...bodyfat won't budge..

g00dnick
07-24-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm currently around 175-177lbs at 19% bodyfat...i started at around 208lbs at the beginning of the summer...been trying to cut all summer...i wasn't but barely over 20% bodyfat when i started, because i don't notice any loss in bodyfat..my bodyfat has been 19-20% for the past two months...so i changed my diet a little about 3 weeks ago to this (it wasn't much different before...it was higher in carbs and lower in fat), and no change whatsoever...might still be a little early, but the weight hasn't really been dropping at all either really..i've lost a pound or two...Bodyfat percentage hasn't changed since in the past two months..

I'm lifting three days a week...cardio once or twice during the week now..(was doing it about 5 times a week at the beginning of the summer)...diet comes out to about...

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 1875
Fat: 62 559 31%
Sat: 18 160 9%
Poly: 12 104 6%
Mono: 25 221 12%
Carbs: 110 372 21%
Fiber: 17 0 0%
Protein: 216 865 48%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

it's getting depressing..lol...i don't know what to change or do to help...please someone... :cry:

PhilsterT
07-24-2005, 07:32 PM
What kind of foods? How much activity do you do every day? Healthy fats? Post some foods.

g00dnick
07-24-2005, 08:38 PM
usually looks like this..

meal 1 - 3 eggs and oatmeal or cream of wheat
meal 2 - slim fast shake and 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
meal 3 - 1 cup 1% cottage cheese and 1 scoop whey
meal 4 - 6oz. tuna on wheat bread
meal 5 - 4oz. of turkey or some cottage cheese
meal 6 - 6oz. chicken breast with 1 cup vegetables (usually broccoli)

Dedicated
07-24-2005, 09:02 PM
What are you measuring your bodyfat with? Did your lifts drop? Is it possible you lost bodyfat in other places, like your legs, and whatever you are using to measure bf isn't taking that into consideration?

I know when I started my cut alot of the weight came off my legs and other parts and not my midsection. But as I continued and lost more weight, I started noticing my waist was shrinking, so maybe this will happen for you. This is the only explanation I can think of because you say you did lose weight. So that weight was either muscle or fat, and if your lifts didn't drop drastically, and you still look as muscular as you did before, then it was probably fat.

g00dnick
07-24-2005, 10:08 PM
I've lost 2-3 inches off my waist, but it looks just as fat and outta shape as ever...

Shao-LiN
07-24-2005, 10:10 PM
So, it's still fat, but you've lost some bodyfat there. You don't consider that progress?

Dedicated
07-24-2005, 10:13 PM
I've lost 2-3 inches off my waist, but it looks just as fat and outta shape as ever...
Sounds like you are doing great. You just gotta lose more man that's how it works. Just keep at it, you are doing awesome. If you quit now and later decide to cut you are just gonna have to go through all of this again. Stay motivated!:)

g00dnick
07-24-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm using a scale that measures it...it may not be exactly accurate, but that's what i've been using the whole time and the % hasn't changed...i've noticed a small change in the lower legs...a bit more defined..so i know i've lost some there...and you can tell in my face...that happened a while back though...since then nothing really..

Dedicated
07-24-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm using a scale that measures it...it may not be exactly accurate, but that's what i've been using the whole time and the % hasn't changed...i've noticed a small change in the lower legs...a bit more defined..so i know i've lost some there...and you can tell in my face...that happened a while back though...since then nothing really..
It just takes time man. I started my cut in the end of March. I lost 3 inches and my midsection still looked like crap. The tape measure said I lost 3 inches, but I couldn't tell at all. Then finally I lost another inch(for a total of 4) and now I can see the top of my abs when I flex. Let me tell you, that is some HUGE motivation right there to see a change like that. It only gets better man. Goodluck!

g00dnick
07-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Yeah...the scale just doesn't show much progress...ya know..lol...i'm curious what i could change the speed up the process a bit...that was a while back, since then i haven't noticed any change...i dunno...i felt great at the start when i could notice changes, but then it just stopped...and i've been doing the same thing...a little bit less cardio cuz i don't want to lose much more muscle than i already have..

Dedicated
07-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah...the scale just doesn't show much progress...ya know..lol...i'm curious what i could change the speed up the process a bit...that was a while back, since then i haven't noticed any change...i dunno...i felt great at the start when i could notice changes, but then it just stopped...and i've been doing the same thing...a little bit less cardio cuz i don't want to lose much more muscle than i already have..
You could look to supplements at this point I think. An ECA stack would help alot I think. Then once you get lower in bf there is always lipoderm or absolved, depending what kind of fat you have. All of these supplements work very well.

Edit:

And yea at first the weightloss is really really quick. If you dropped calories to like 1500 you would lose weight really quick, but you would lose alot of muscle+strength too, so that's not a good idea I think. I know that if I go to 1500, I lose muscle. 1800-1900 keeps works perfect for me.

Shao-LiN
07-24-2005, 11:12 PM
I would use calipers over scales. I never did get how a scale could extrapolate your bodyfat.

dissipate
07-25-2005, 05:57 AM
maybe increase cardio? brisk walking or HIIT more often?

g00dnick
07-25-2005, 09:44 AM
When I was doing a bunch of cardio before, I was losing quite a bit of muscle, so i slowed my cardio down a bit...but i was thinking about doing more again...increase it just a little bit this time..

bigsethmeister
07-25-2005, 10:59 AM
i bet you are losing more bf than you think. i suspect your scale is misleading you.

a better bet would be to buy some calipers.

Shao-LiN
07-25-2005, 06:13 PM
When I was doing a bunch of cardio before, I was losing quite a bit of muscle, so i slowed my cardio down a bit...but i was thinking about doing more again...increase it just a little bit this time..

Well, if you're doing the "same thing", I'm assuming your calories haven't changed. You also mention that you are doing less cardio. Couple less activity with, less overall weight, and the same amount of calories, you may/may not run into a halt in weight loss.

As you lose weight, you will find that you may need to decrease calories further to compensate. In addition, with less cardio, you are not burning as many calories as before.

g00dnick
07-25-2005, 08:23 PM
I'll start more cardio again and see where it takes me...

Shao-LiN
07-25-2005, 08:35 PM
That is an option, or, assuming your calories were at a decent deficit before, you can just decrease calories a bit further and see where that takes you.

Built
07-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Try increasing your workouts to FOUR a week instead of three.

Are you doing post workout cardio?

Jorge Sanchez
07-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Do not pay attention to those stupid bodyfat scales
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=67582

shansen008
07-26-2005, 08:00 PM
Couple things to remember with those bf/weight scales:

1- Use bare feet, they measure the impedence of an electrical charge through your feet.

2- The taller you are the more you should center your heels, this is true of even the balance scales you see at teh doctors office. Im 6'4", if i try to just "even my feet out" on the scale it will be off by 10-15lbs. If i place my heels at the center of the scale i get an accurate reading.

3- This is also relative to #2, make sure your scale is on a flat surface. Even slights tilting can really screw them up.

4- Always use it at the same time of day to eliminate variables such as hydration/urine/bowel movements. Since they measure bodyfat with impedence of electricity, your hydration levels can cause this to vary a lot.

In general these scales are crap, but if you use them in a consistent manner then they can be useful to track the change in body composition, even if they arent all that useful as a definite measuring tool.

Built
07-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Oh, and you'll appear "leaner" AFTER a carbup than you will when you're depleted - more water in your body tricks it into thinking you've got more muscle.

I know <rolls eyes>