PDA

View Full Version : It can only get better, right?

ShockBoxer
07-25-2005, 03:03 PM
The vitals:

Name: Jay
Weight: 180
Height: 5'4
BF: 21%

Today was my first day on WBB1.

I'd been out of the gym for a month or two because I screwed up my back somehow. It wasn't weightlifting... it was messed up. A sneeze, a pop, and a month of pain. Then a second month of push-ups (seemed to help).

I have never used free-weights. Always imagined little old me crushed, I guess. The machines seemed safer and as effective.

The machines suck.

Alright.

Day One - Rangefinding:

Bench press had a waiting line so I decided I'd do the DB inclines first. I have a faithful set of 20 pound DBs that I've had and used since I was 17. Figured it was as good a place to start as any.

8x20 lb
8x30 lb
8x40 lb Oof. Uh... ok.
6x40 lb Yeah, this works.

Bench press became free.

I started with the empty bar to warm up.

15 x whatever the bar weighs.

I got a sickening feeling in my stomach. The bar was not comfortable to lift at all. I put two 25 plates on it.

8x50 + whatever the bar weighs.

Oof.

7x50 + bar. Argh?

That second set it was all I could do to rack the damn thing.

What. The. HELL?!

I can do 100 pushups in two minutes without straining myself but I could barely get something that weighed a THIRD of me to arms length and back to start?

Yeah, I was a little irked. I took the weights off.

100 x whatever the bar weighs in frustration.

It was easier than doing the first 15?!

Dips
3x6 No problems there. Could have done a fourth set easy. Thank god.

Chin ups
2x6 Little harder. I've always hated chin ups. On the plus side back in high school (when I weighed 130) I could do... 3.

Deadlifts

I was afraid of this exercise because my back likes to throw itself out over the stupidest things. Sex. Sneezing. Moving stoves. Well, at least moving stoves is better than a sneeze. I knew I was going to keep it light for a long time. I also know that I made a pathetic living when I was 22 carrying my end of a 350 lb stove.

8x50
8x70
8x100
8x120 That's enough for today. I know I could have done 140... probably even 160 or 180 or god knows what but I really, really don't want to hurt my back.

Barbell rows

Mindful of my back I elected to lie flat on my stomach on a bench and do DB rows. Does it work anywhere near as well?

8x30 oof a bit
8x40 oof a lot. Well, at least it's consistant with the DB incline press.

Shrugs
8x40 lb child's play
8x50 lb no problem ... and then 'why is my right tricep burning?'
30x20 lb to stretch said tricep out. Seemed to work... felt much better. Why it hurt in the first place I don't know. I was pretty sure my form was good.

I've gotta say... I'm dissappointed at the press. One of the other guys there saw me doing it and got a confused look on his face. He said I look like I could do triple that, at least. Then he asked when the last time I'd used the bench was and I said I'd never used free-weights for benching... just a bench press machine years ago and the iso machines on the other side of the gym.

He laughed and said 'the machines make wussies (he didn't say wussy... another consonant instead) of everyone at one time or another'. He said if I wasn't sore in the chest (I wasn't... at all) it was probably my complimentary muscles that weren't up to the task. He said not to worry... the complimentary muscles catch up quick.

Still... 2x6x50 :cry:

Edit: After some further research I've discovered that the gym uses an olympic bar.

2x6x94 = Well, that's a little better.

SW
07-25-2005, 07:51 PM
1. just proves pushups and bench not the same thing.
2. why tricep burning? Probably because you were pushing harder with your right arm. Just a thought.

Everything looks detailed. Looks good so far.

ShockBoxer
07-25-2005, 08:40 PM
I think the DB slipped down on an angle in my right hand at the end of the second set. Plus I may have tensed up... I have a bad habit of flexing muscles that don't need to be flexed for the exercise at hand. Come to think of it tensing the tri would probably shift the angle of the wrist. Guess nothing is unrelated in a lift.

Even though it was only 95 pounds (happier with that number then the 50 of the plates alone) and two sets with a pair of 40 lb DBs my chest feels more pumped than I can recall. Should have started using free-weights years ago instead of wasting all that time on the circuit machines.

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Day Two - Rest

My back is on fire. Think I've found a weak link in any previous training I've done. Unfortunate because a strong back is key to a strong body I've heard.

Well, at least it's the 'why the hell did you spend your free time heaving crap around?' workout burn instead of the 'every step is searing agony. Something bad has happened' fire. Chest feels a little funny as well... wouldn't call it a burn. More of a 'you did something different' sensation.

I know it's a rest day but does anyone think a few pushups would hurt? Something to get the adrenaline flowing and take the edge off the burn?

defcon
07-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Good job moving to the free weights. Don't let the benching upset you, just make sure you keep good form and the weight will eventually go up. :)

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 11:56 AM
I suspect that my elbows were out too wide and perhaps my grip was as well. I certainly feel a burn in my shoulders today. Combine that with doing the DB inclines first and perhaps it affected my bench.

After a night to cool down I've realized that starting at 95 pounds is what it is. I weigh 180 and I'm really not all that flabby so I look at it as plenty of room for improvement. I'm not going to let it get to me (unless it's still 95 pounds in two months).

SW
07-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Lol sounds like your body "speaks" to you alot.

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 08:15 PM
I've had more reason than most to get on good speaking terms with my body. For years I had intestinal discomfort that would often get unbearable... only by learning to analyze, categorize, and then dismiss the pain did I get it under control. Medication did nothing... except almost kill me (the last drug they put me on nearly fried my central nervous system). Only willpower has worked on a regular basis.

So now when the body speaks I listen... but if I don't like what it has to say I can ignore it.

ShockBoxer
07-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Day Three - Legs - Range finding

My first thought when I entered the gym was 'dammit, nowhere to do squats?'. I'd never done them before, after all, so I'd never bothered looking for a squat rack.

I thought I'd have to clean each weight and then squat it. I just knew that would seriously screw up my efforts at building leg strength, though, as the upper limit would be what I could clean. Good for my arms but unfair to my legs.

So... I started with barbells.

10 x 30 to warm up
10 x 60 getting a little harder to clean but still doable
10 x 80
10 x 100 ok, getting near the end of my ability to clean the weight (I don't trust my form for cleans. Never have). Damn.

Then I saw that there was indeed a power rack. A woman had pulled a bench up to it and was using it to bench the empty bar the entire time I was doing those sets so I'd passed it over on a quick inspection of the weight room. D'oh.

So I hit the rack.

10 x the bar for form.
10 x 50 yawn.
10 x 70
10 x 90
10 x 110
10 x 130 Hey, I felt that one.
10 x 150 better.
8 x 160 I think we have a winner
6 x 160

Oh yeah. Forgot to add 20 to those totals because of the bar weight.

Glad I saw the power rack. Loved the squats.

Hack Squats - Ok, those didn't look comfortable so I substituted in using the leg press. Both work the quads, right?

10 x empty. Why, god, why?
10 x 90
10 x 180
10 x 270
10 x 300
10 x 320
10 x 320 That's enough for today. Had to really work for the last two of that set.

Methinks I could have done more.

Leg Curls - Straightforward, here. It's a machine: I've used every machine in the gym repeatedly.

10 x 100 My previous comfortable max
10 x 110
10 x 110 Feel the burn.

Straight Legged Deadlift - Chickened out. I know I'd screw it up and throw out my back. I've never seen anyone at the gym doing them and most of the PT have told me it's hard and to never deadlift rather than show me how to do it. There are certainly no female lifters on staff. As far as I can tell there aren't any male PTs so no chance of finding a weightlifter among that gender, either.

I used a machine that targets the hamstring instead. I just call it 'hamstring machine' because I'm creative like that (it doesn't have a label at the gym).

10 x 110
10 x 120
8 x 120

Standing calf raises - Again I went for a machine.. you know the type. Get under harness, get on block. Same as doing it in the power rack only probably not. I love this thing... any PT I've had just sort of looks at me funny when I use it.

10 x 350 warm up
10 x 400
10 x 450
10 x 450 Feeling good. 8 through 10 were good. Stopped because I need to walk tomorrow (I've done 2x600... the machine's max.. in the past on a dare. Stairs sucked for two weeks.)

At least this gym's machine goes to 600. My last gym only went to 350 so I was stacking plates on it and getting chewed out for doing so.

Comments on my substitutions? Think they'll work as well?

SteveRaiken
07-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Nice job so far, Keep up the hardwork!! Hows your diet going?

Oh yeah... nice job on those squats there a bitc* sometimes hahah

ShockBoxer
07-27-2005, 06:25 PM
I have a hell of a time cracking 2k calories without resorting to junk food. Plus, I still haven't managed to hit 1 g of protein per pound. I'm trying to keep my saturated fat to 10% or less of my daily caloric intake which doesn't help.

I need more boneless, skinless chicken, basically.

Squats were awesome... but I think I'm going to feel it tomorrow (especially combined with the leg press).

ShockBoxer
07-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Day 4 - Rest

Augh, my ass! :zipit:

I don't think I've ever worked the glutes like that. Additionally, my quads are telling me to pick a position... sit or stand. Went through the squat motion in the shower a few times to stretch out for the day.

Loving how hard the muscles on my inner and outer thigh are today.

defcon
07-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Enjoy your rest day! You'll be back to the squat rack before you know it!

ShockBoxer
07-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Day 5 - Shoulders and Arms Rangefinding

Shoulders

Military Press
10x30
10x40 This exercise is pretty brutal. Rack became free.

10x50
10x60 Urgh. This is it?
8x60 yeah.

Then I realized I didn't add in the 20 pounds for the rack bar. I do that a lot. No wonder 'fifty' was so much harder than 40.

So 2x8x80.

Seated Dumbbell press

10 x 10 warmup
10 x 20 I got these at home and have done this one for years.
10 x 30 Feeling it
4 x 35 Ugh. 30 it is.
6 x 30

Standing Lateral Raises

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a weakness.

I started with a warm up with the pink 5 pound weights. It wasn't an ignorable amount of weight. I got that 'no way' feeling again.

10 x pink weights
10 x 10 hmm
8 x 15 this is it. 15 lousy pounds?
waited 3 minutes
10 x 15 huh?
waited 2 minutes
8 x 20
waited 2 minutes
5 x 25

... right. Rest between sets = good. I get it.

Narrow grip Bench press

10 x the bar (45) No problem
8 x 55
8 x 65
8 x 70
8 x 75 wha?
8 x 80
8 x 85 This is it.
8 x 85 (barely).

Ok... why is it I can close grip (my hands were pretty much together and the weight was over my lower ribcage) 85 but only bench 95?

French Press

Screwed this one up. I knew I wasn't getting it right so I went to a pull-down cable machine.

8 x 70
8 x 80

Barbell Curls

I could guess where this one was going.

10x30
10x40
10x50
8x60
8x60

Hammer Curls -- Another I do at home with the 20s.

10 x 10
10 x 20
8 x 25
5 x 30
8 x 25

I also did the abs today by laying upside down on an incline bench. Not sure if it worked my abs but it worked my hip flexors.

2x8

Two rest days and then back to day one on Monday. Hope it goes better.

Canadian Crippler
07-29-2005, 08:49 PM
You think too much during your workouts, lol.

ShockBoxer
07-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Well, the range-finding days this week took an hour each, easy. When you're doing nothing but lifting bits of metal and waiting a few minutes to resume lifting bits of metal for an hour there's plenty of time to think. :)

That, and use the mirrors in the weight room to covertly look at the women on this (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2002/legcurl.jpg) machine.

ShockBoxer
08-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Week Two - Day One

Decided to keep track of weight and weight+bar seperately. Could be useful if I move clubs. Weight+bar is in the ().

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press :

10x0(45) Warm up with the bar
8x50(95) last week's max. I decided to up it.
8x60(105) More!
8x70(115) Rrrrrrraaaaagh!!! <-- *me trying to get the 8th and re-rack*
6x70(115)

Last week it was all I could do to rack the 50(95). I'm happy with 115... though I doubt I'll be able to do a 20 pound jump next week.

Low Incline Dumbbell Press :

10x40
8 x 2x40s arms.... shaking... oh yeah. Did this one first last week. Makes a difference?
6 x 2x40s No improvement this week.
8 x 2x35s

Dips : 2 x 6 Seemed harder this week. Probably the bench increase.

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6 reps So... brutal

Deadlifts

10x30
8 x 110
4 x 120
6 x 110

Went down. Didn't feel comfortable to lift. Form maybe.

Dumbbell Rows : Not sure these are working out for me. Might have to bite the bullet and try the barbell rows.

10x 2x20s
8 x 2x40s
8 x 2x45s

Shrugs:

Went for broke on this one. Wasn't happy with the 2x50 dumbbells last week. So I used the power rack (club wasn't busy).

10x60(80)
10x100(120)
8x120(140) Ooo... that's better.
8x120(140)

Guess my problem last week was mostly trying to heave around the 50 pound dumbbells.

Happy with the bench gain. Annoyed at the deadlift loss. Can live with the lack of change in incline press.

ShockBoxer
08-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Week Two - Day Two - Rest

Maybe I shouldn't rest today. My brother's bachelor party is tomorrow when I'd normally do a day 3 workout. I'll do back to back WBB1 day 3 and 5s on Thursday and Friday. After all, legs and arms don't use a lot of the same muscles (and last week when I burned my legs on rangefinding I was able to complete day 5 no problem).

ShockBoxer
08-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Week Two - Day 3 - Arms and Shoulders

Party postponed til tommorow because of Air France crash trapping the best man in Toronto.

I decided to do arms and shoulders today because I won't get a chance to get the gym again before at least Sunday... and I didn't want to do arms/shoulders Sun then chest/back Mon.

Military Press

I decided not to do this in the rack. One, it was busy. Two, I wanted to be completely free weight. Don't know why.

10x40
8 x 60
6 x 70

It felt a lot harder than the "80" I did last week on the rack.

Seated Dumbell Press

10 x 10
8 x 30
8 x 30

My left arm could only hit 7.

Standing Lat Raises

10 x 5
8 x 20
8 x 25
6 x 25

Got more volume at least.

Narrow Grip Bench:

10 x 45
8 x 85
6 x 90

Barbell Curls
10 x 30
8 x 60
6 x 60

No 65s around on the static weight barbells and the bench bar was occupied. Way I felt after that second set I doubt I could have gone 65 this week anyways.

Hammer Curl
10 x 10
8 x 30
6 x 30

35 next week if I have anything to say about it.

I guess there was some volume diff and a few increases. Works for me (though of course I would have preferred weight max increased on everything!).

defcon
08-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Well, the range-finding days this week took an hour each, easy. When you're doing nothing but lifting bits of metal and waiting a few minutes to resume lifting bits of metal for an hour there's plenty of time to think. :)

I agree. If aliens were to look down on us, lifting metal for no apparent reason, they would think we were crazy.

Workouts looking good man, how are you finding the routine?

ShockBoxer
08-04-2005, 07:09 AM
I'm loving the routine. It really is the first one I've ever tried... before I was just like my friends and would wander in, lift a few weights at random, do 40 minutes on the treadmill, and wander off.

Now I'm planning my days around what I'm eating and when I'm lifting. Maybe there's no physical differences yet (though my fiance says she sees one around my stomach I don't think that's possible, even if I have lost 3 pounds) but the sense of structure and the progressive attainable goals are great for my mind and confidence.

ShockBoxer
08-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Missed legs last week. Just no time at all to work in even a freaking hour because of all the wedding stuff.

Week Three - Day One

Chest

10 x 0(45)
8 x 75(120)
6 x 80(125)

Getting better every time for now. Starting to wish there was a spotter around...

10 x 2x20
10 x 2x30
10 x 2x35
8 x 2x40

Dips :

2 x 6 - Saved these and the chin ups for last. Brutal.

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6 ... barely. See above.

Deadlifts :

Had a PT look at my form on these. He said it was textbook so I guess I can stop blaming bad form for my low lifts in this area. A weak back, it seems.

10 x 30
10 x 70
10 x 100
8 x 110
4 x 120 urgh.

Dumbbell Rows : I did them right this time... or at least in a way I felt them.

10 x 20
10 x 30
10 x 40
8 x 45

Shrugs : Someone was using the rack for something better than shrugs so I used the dumb-bells again.

10 x 2x50
10 x 2x65

Got that burning in my right tricep again doing the heavy 65s same as the last time I used DBs for this excercise. I can't curl 65s. I can't military press 65s. I can't even dead two 65s if my deadlift is accurate at all. Heaving these things off the dumb-bell rack was not fun. I know my shoulders could do more but my arms can't yet.

ShockBoxer
08-09-2005, 06:19 AM
I'm upping my body fat to 27% at least. 21 is looking like the person who measured it was either a) a moron or b) inexperienced.

Week 3 - Day 2 - Rest

Had a whey shake for breakfast for the first time. I like the taste of the flavor I got. I'm feeling a little.. odd... though. Not particularly gassy or like I'm going to throw up -- just odd in the stomach.

Oh well. Protein = good!

ShockBoxer
08-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Week Three - Day 03

Squats :

This time I went right for heavy instead of volume.

10 x bar (20)
10 x 90 (11)
8 x 160 (180)
10 x 160 (180)
8 x 170 (190)

This time I really concentrated on getting low. I could barely stand back up for each rep. I fully expect to fall over backwards and kill someone any time now.

Leg Press:
10 x 90
10 x 180
10 x 270

I was definitely feeling it in my quads from squatting so I called it a day on the legpress.

Leg Curls :

10 x 100

Then I went crazy

6 x 150
6 x 150

Either I was burned out from leg presses last time or squats have seriously beefed my leg curl capacity.

Hamstring Machine -

8 x 100
8 x 110 same as last time only this time it felt bad. Hope I can walk tomorrow.

Standing Calve Raises :

10 x 330 (warmup)
10 x 450

Then I said what the hell...

10 x 500
10 x 600
10 x 600 :strong:

Three women stopped what they were doing and watched with wide eyes. The machine can go no higher but I feel like I could do more. Oh well.

Last time I did 600 (a year ago on a dare) I could only do 3 and I couldn't walk the next day. Hopefully I can walk tomorrow....

Focused70
08-10-2005, 03:02 PM
The bar usually weighs 45 lbs. unless you're using a fixed barbell.

ShockBoxer
08-10-2005, 03:19 PM
The bar that gets used for squats doesn't feel as heavy. I assumed that meant it was a standard bar (20) instead of an olympic (45)?

... Then again, it's unracked across my shoulders instead of into my forearms. Without weighing them I have no way of knowing for sure. I know all the plates in the gym are interchangeable but figured the bar was just made out of something lighter...

Focused70
08-10-2005, 03:29 PM
I was talking about an olympic bar. (This is what most bars tend to be. Your gym may vary.)

I have no idea what a standard bar looks like.

ShockBoxer
08-10-2005, 03:55 PM
I'll have to ask the desk and hope they don't give me a blank stare. The last time I asked a fitness technician (not a PT) how much the bench bar weighed she floundered and then said 35 and pointed at a sticker.

It was the station number.

I had to manually weigh it by curling it and comparing it to a 40 pound fixed weight barbell to get an idea. Maybe I'll do the same for the bar on the power rack.

ShockBoxer
08-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Week 3 - Day 4 - Rest

A little sore but not bad. Definite improvement over the last time I did legs. More weight > Volume when it comes to having to use that muscle the next day.

ShockBoxer
08-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Week 3 - Day 5 - Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps

Military Press -

10 x 30
8 x 70
8 x 70

My form was much better this week on free-weight military press. I might use the rack or smith for it after all because I can't easily curl any weight higher to start position right now.

Seated Dumbell Press -
10 x 15
8 x 35
8 x 35 (7 left hand. Wish it would catch up... but I'm not exactly giving it a chance)

Standing Lat Raises - I backed the weight down here because I was 'cheating' 25. I like this excercise and I want to be able to do nice and controlled 10 rep sets.

10 x 15
10 x 20
11 x 20 couldn't get 12

Narrow Grip Bench
10 x 0 (45)
7 x 50 (95)
8 x 50 (95) and damn near killed myself trying to rack the 8th.

Still, 95... cool. That's what I normal benched the first week.

French Press - Decided to just give it another shot. Got the form right this time and didn't hit myself in the head (much).

10 x 20
8 x 30
8 x 40
5 x 50

Barbell Curl - Decided just to shut up and give 'er.

10 x 30 warm up
1 x 80 fail. Maybe not that much.
7 x 70
4 x 70 and then 4 x 60 without rest.

Blew myself on the 80 attempt... but I just had to try. After that I wasn't expecting miracles on the DB

Hammer Curls
10 x 2x20
1 x 2x35 no way I was getting a second, but I did it.
8 x 2x30
8 x 2x30

Hey, some of them moved to 35 and narrow grip increased. Met my goals for the session.

MM
08-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Lotsa work there Shock. Keep it up.

ShockBoxer
08-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Surprised it's been 3 full weeks already. Time flies when you're sticking to a training schedule. I'm loving the strength gains so I have every intention of keeping it up. It may not show in a lot of places yet (in some places it really, really does.) but washing up in the shower I can feel how my muscles have begun to change.

ShockBoxer
08-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Week 4 - Day 1 - Sick

Blah. Yesterday sucked. Stomach flu or something. No energy, couldn't keep food down. Hoping that today is better. That's the fun of the WBB1 routine, though... since it places chest/back next to leg with a day of rest between I figure I can do chest/back today and still do legs tomorrow and keep on track.

ShockBoxer
08-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Week 4 - Day Two - Chest/Back

Chest

Ok, this was dumb today. I got it in my head that I wanted two 45 plates and would settle for nothing less.

12 x 0 (45)
5 x 90 (135)
5 x 90 (135)

Totally blew myself on those. Should have gone 130 and then tried 135.

10 x 2x20
8 x 2x40
8 x 2x40

Dips : 2 x 6

Chin ups : 2 x 5 These aren't getting easier.

Deadlifts:

Decided to try and push through my 110 plateau.

10 x 50
8 x 115
8 x 115

Did it.

Barbell Rows :

10 x 30
8 x 50
8 x 70

Shrugs :
10 x 2x20
10 x 2x65

My hands are shredded after handling those 65lb dumbbells.

A little dissappointed that I was overly enthusiastic about the bench. Next week I'll do 130/135 to get some proper sets. 135 is about what I weight without body fat so I'm guessing it's going to get a whole lot harder.

ShockBoxer
08-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Week Four - Day Three- SQUAT! er ... legs

Squats :
10 x 110 warm up
10 x 200
8 x 210

I'm surprised I can walk after the final dip on the 210. So brutal.

Hack Squats :
Decided to try these after all

10 x 20
10 x 40
8 x 60

Leg Curls :
8 x 100
8 x 135
4 x 150
8 x 135

Don't know what I was on last week to pull off the two 6 rep 150s.

Straight Legged Deadlifts :
Decided to try these after all as well

10 x 20
10 x 40
10 x 60
8 x 70

Hamstrings are not amused.

Standing Calve Raises :

10 x 510
8 x 600
10 x 600
8 x 600

Ok, definately felt that one today. Tried a towel to stop the blood vessel burst line ... now I have blood vessel burst splotches. Joy.

And because I'm a sadist I did 10 minutes on the eliptical ... keeping my heart rate at 135 (that shouldn't burn muscle, right?).

ShockBoxer
08-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Week Four Day Four - Rest

I budgetted a small Extreme Rolo McFlurry into my calories for the day. :drooling: I haven't had one in weeks... it tasted so good but within a half hour I was feeling SO sluggish and tired. It was weird.

ShockBoxer
08-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Week Four Day Five - Shoulders and Arms

Shoulders

Military Press:

10 x 30
8 x 70
8 x 70

Second set was hard

Seated Dumbbell Press :

I was hoping to go to 40 here today... but no way.

10 x 20
8 x 35
7 x 35

Standing Lateral Raises :

Hoping to non-cheat 25 today... but nope.

10 x 10
10 x 20
10 x 20

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press :

10 x 0 (45)
8 x 55 (100)
8 x 55 (100)

French Press :

10 x 30
8 x 50
10 x 50 (urgh)

Biceps :

Barbell Curls :
10 x 40
6 x 70
7 x 70

Um... argh.

Hammer Curls :

10 x 2x10
7 x 2x30
6 x 2x30
5 x 2x30

Abs

Crunches with my feet uphill (incline?):

3 x 10 crunches
1 x 10 round the world thing (rotate up on right, up to full sit, down on left. Pretty brutal)

Plate pinching

25 pounds each hand, 25 seconds (four times per hand)

All in all... I was a little ticked. No increases this week (5 pounds on close grip) and the excercises seemed harder than last week.

ShockBoxer
08-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Week 5, Day 1 - Chest and Back

Chest

10 x 0(45)
7 x 85 (130)
5 x 90 (135) - spotter gave me a boost to get the last two inches for a sixth
6 x 85 (130)

No gains.

10 x 2x20
8 x 2x40
8 x 2x40

Dips : Save these for the end. Today I ran out of time (had to catch a bus) so 0.

Back

Chin ups : As above.

Deadlifts :
10 x 50 (95)
8 x 80 (125)
9 x 80 (125)

Barbell Rows:

10 x 30
8 x 90
8 x 90

These are pretty harsh... but I feel them more on my lower back than upper.

Shrugs :
10 x 2x75 db
10 x 2x75 db

Deadlift gave me calluses. This one ripped one open.

Up 10 pounds on dead. No change on bench so I threw in an extra set.

ShockBoxer
08-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Week 5, Day 3 - Legs

Squats
8 x 100
8 x 150
8 x 200
8 x 220

I'm the only one who yells while squatting.

Hack Squat
10 x 30
10 x 60
10 x 70

Leg Curl
6 x 135
6 x 135

Straight Leg Deadlift
10 x 30
8 x 70
8 x 90
8 x 100

These still feel odd. A definite stretch in my hamstrings but also I feel it in my lower back where I feel normal deads.

Standing Calve Raises
10 x 510
10 x 600
10 x 600
10 x 600

Don't want to get chewed out again for stacking plates on top of the machine.

Everything but leg curl (too beat up after squats and hacks) and calve raise (machine goes no higher) improved. Good enough for me... I think my legs have some strength gain left in them before they reach the plateau my arms are at.

ShockBoxer
08-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Week 5, Day 5 Arms and Shoulders

Military Press
8 x 30
3 x 40
3 x 50
3 x 60
3 x 70
6 x 80
6 x 80

God, that was harsh. My left shoulder hates me. But I did it... I raised military press.

Sitting Dumbell Shoulder Press
10 x 5s
3 x 15s
3 x 20s
3 x 30s
3 x 35s
2 x 40s (argh... but I did two)
8 x 35s
8 x 35s

Standing DB Lat Raise
10 x 5s
3 x 10s
3 x 15s
8 x 20s
8 x 25s (didn't get all the way horizontal)
6 x 20s

Close Grip Flat Bench
8 x 0 (45)
3 x 50 (95)
7 x 60 (105)
6 x 60 (105)

French thingy - I completely forgot about this one at the gym. Damn.

Barbell Curls
10 x 30
3 x 40
3 x 50
3 x 60
3 x 70
0.75 x 80 No way.
6 x 70
6 x 70

Hammer Curls
8 x 5s
3 x 10s
3 x 15s
3 x 20s
3 x 25s
3 x 30s
6 x 35s (not pretty at all. Form fell apart completely after rep 4)
7 x 30s
7 x 30s

Incline ab work
2 x 10 crunches
2 x 10 somethings. I call them round-the-worlds. I saw some girl doing them once and tried them. Whatever they are they're BRUTAL weighted.

My body is feeling a little trashed right now... but I raised military.

ShockBoxer
08-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Week 6, Day 1

Chest

8 x 0 (45)
3 x 50 (95)
3 x 60 (105)
3 x 70 (115)
3 x 80 (125)
6 x 90 (135)
8 x 90 (135)

Yes! 5 x 135 broken.

8 x 25dbs
3 x 30
3 x 35
3 x 40
2 x 45 auugh. nope.
8 x 40
8 x 40 (barely)

Dips : Some guy broke the machine so it was stuck at BW - 135. Wheeeeeee. Did like 20 for form practice.

Back

Chin ups : As above

Deadlifts :
8 x 95
3 x 115
3 x 135
8 x 145 grip died
8 x 145 and again. almost dropped the bar.

Barbell Rows :
10 x 30
8 x 90
8 x 100

I tried leaning back some to take the pressure off my lower back (thanks Canadian Crippler) and I think it worked. I still didn't feel them anywhere else... I couldn't get a 9th so I guess something was giving out but I didn't feel what exactly.

Shrugs : 10 x 75dbs
10 x 75s

I tried to hold on as long as I could at the end of those. I held them another 10 seconds before my grip failed. Dammit.

ShockBoxer
08-31-2005, 04:02 PM
Week 6, Day 3 - Legs

Squats
10 x 90 (+bar)
5 x 140 (+bar)
8 x 180 (+bar)
8 x 200 (+bar)
8 x 200 (+bar)

I really don't know if thats 220 or 245. It doesn't matter... I'm not getting low enough. I'm staying at 200 on the bar until I can ATF it.

Zerger Squats

Did these with the fixed weight dumbells.

10 x 30
8 x 60
8 x 90
8 x 90

Man, those were harsh. And now I have 'dead treads' on my arms to match my shins...

Hack Squat
10 x 30
6 x 70
8 x 90
8 x 90

Leg Curl

Doh.. I've been doing leg extensions I think instead of leg curls.

10 x 70
6 x 110
6 x 110

Straight Leg Deadlift
10 x 30
8 x 70
8 x 90
8 x 100

Calf Raise in Leg Press

I r teh owned.

8 x 90
5 x 180
8 x 230
8 x 230 aarrgh.

ShockBoxer
09-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Week 6, Day 7

Day 5 was a wash because I hadn't gotten any sleep and the gym is closed tomorrow so I figured I'd do arm/shoulders today and Day 1 on tuesday.

Military Press
8 x 30
3 x 40
3 x 50
3 x 60
3 x 70
6 x 80
6 x 80

10 x 20s
3 x 25s
3 x 30s
3 x 35s
4 x 40s
4 x 40s aarrrggghhhh
8 x 35s

Standing DB Lat Raise
10 x 5s
3 x 10s
3 x 15s
8 x 20s
8 x 20s

Close Grip Flat Bench
10 x 20 (65)
3 x 40 (85)
3 x 60 (105)
8 x 60 (105)
8 x 65 (110)
5 x 70 (115) spotter gave it a tap for 6

French thingy

10 x 30
8 x 50
8 x 50

Really worked the form today and felt it.

Barbell Curls
10 x 30
3 x 40
3 x 50
3 x 60
6 x 70
6 x 70

Hammer Curls
8 x 5s
3 x 10s
3 x 15s
3 x 20s
3 x 25s
6 x 30s
8 x 25s

I did these without pause or rest from the BB curls because I was in a hurry. It showed.

defcon
09-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Glad to see your still at it. I haven't been on the site much recently. Keep gaining! and have fun!

ShockBoxer
09-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Week 7 - Death

"And on the seventh day, He rested" ... Genesis.

Actually, I don't need to rest but this week is totally FUBAR with me being sick and labor day closing the gym and having to go visit my GFs parents. So a reluctant break.

I must get back to it Monday. I *must*! Normally when this kind of thing happens I just give up for six months... excuses breed excuses.

I'm seeing serious strength gains and, while not losing weight, am adding size to a lot of muscle groups. It's working, for once, and I must not give up.

I'll have to make sure I visit WBB every day. A community breeds motivation.

ShockBoxer
09-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Week 8, Day 1 - Starting Over
Chest

8 x 0 (45)
3 x 50 (95)
3 x 60 (105)
3 x 70 (115)
8 x 80 (125)
7 x 90 (135)
6 x 90 (135)

I switched to a wider grip and things felt heavier so I did an 8 set at 125. Probably spent me for the 135 attempts a bit.

8 x 25dbs
3 x 30
8 x 35
8 x 35

These were harsh today. I think my flat bench took more out of my chest than I'm used to.

Dips : I can't keep ignoring these. After my other chest excercises I'm burnt but they're there for a reason so I hopped on the graviton thing.

BW - 40 x 10
BW - 30 x 8

Back

Chin ups : As above.

BW - 40 - Close grip x 10
Bw - 40 - military grip x 2. Damn. It's like my first day of basic all over again. This will take some effort to get up to BW.

Deadlifts :
8 x 95
3 x 115
8 x 135
8 x 145

My grip died again and my week off didn't seem to help my back any. I'm truly terrible at DL and I can't figure out why...

Barbell Rows :
10 x 30
8 x 60
8 x 80
8 x 80
8 x 80

I forgot I could do 100. Doh.

Shrugs :

10 x 45dbs
10 x 65dbs
10 x 65s

Again, I forgot I could do 75... but that might be for the best as I have a hard time racking the 75dbs.

No real gains or losses. Good to get back to it.

ShockBoxer
09-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Week 8, Day 3 - Legs

Squat

I decided to go ATF.

8 x 90 (110? 135?)
8 x 100 (120, 145)

Damn.

Zercher Squat
8 x 30
8 x 100
6 x 100

Didn't really rest.

Hack Squat
8 x 30
8 x 70
8 x 100

Stiff Leg Dead
8 x 30
8 x 100
8 x 100

Leg Curl

12 x 90
10 x 90

Didn't rest and was baked after the squats.

Calve Raise in Leg Press

10 x 200
10 x 200

My calves were blown from squatting, which hasn't happened before.

All in all... mostly losses but I think I improved form.

ShockBoxer
09-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Week 8 - Day 5 - Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps

Military Press -

10 x 30
3 x 40
3 x 50
3 x 60
3 x 70
7 x 80
6 x 80

Seated Dumbell Press -
10 x 15
3 x 20
3 x 25
3 x 30
8 x 35
8 x 35

My left side caught up, finally. I didn't try 40. Today I wanted pure form and I couldn't do a 9th so it's cool.

Standing Lat Raises -
10 x 5
10 x 15
10 x 20
8 x 20

My form is finally good on these... but it lags the last few reps on the 20s. I'm no longer cheating in the slightest, though.

Narrow Grip Bench
10 x 0 (45)
3 x 50 (95)
3 x 60 (105)
7 x 65 (110)
8 x 65 (110)

I didn't do 115. Still not stable enough 110.

French Press -

10 x 30
3 x 40
7 x 60
8 x 60

Barbell Curl

10 x 30
3 x 40
3 x 50
12 x 60
6 x 70

I wanted to practise form today so I did 60 until near fail (had to really bust my ass for the 12th)

Hammer Curls
10 x 20
3 x 25
8 x 30
8 x 30

Kept the weight low. I'm now lifting for form, not ego. 35 I'm basically slingshotting the damn db onto my shoulder.

ShockBoxer
09-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Week 9, Day 1

Bench
95 x 8
105 x 3
115 x 3
125 x 3
135 x 8
135 x 8

Really wide grip for me. At 110 I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to do more... but I piled up to my regular and did it. The second set's 8th was killer but it went up.

Incline DB Press
20 x 8
25 x 3
30 x 3
35 x 3
40 x 8
40 x 8

Most stable 40 I've done ever.

Deadlift (rah!)
95 x 8
105 x 3
115 x 3
125 x 3
135 x 8
145 x 6
155 x 6

I don't know why my deads suck. My back has always had some problems. That 155 set was out of the blue... I just got pissed that 145 was where I was plateauing and slapped another 10 on the bar and went for it. Surprisingly it didn't feel much harder than the 145.

BB Row
95 x 8
100 x 8

DB Shrugs
75 x 10

Assisted Dips
10 x BW-50
10 x BW-30 Hurt my right *trap* doing this?

Assisted wide-grip pull-ups
10 x BW - 100 *sigh* I woulda been laughed out of my unit
10 x BW - 80 But this was all I could do extreme wide grip

I liked my form today. Flat bench was a little wobbly at the highest weight, though.

ShockBoxer
09-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Week 10 Day 1

Damn. Last week sucked. Timetable was all messed up. Starting from scratch... again. :cry:

Bench
100 x 8
110 x 3
120 x 3
130 x 3
140 x 8
145 x 8

I don't understand what happened here. I just kept piling on the weight and kept lifting it up. Pinky was on the rings... really wide grip for my height of 5'4.

Incline DB Press
20 x 8
25 x 3
30 x 3
35 x 3
40 x 8
40 x 8

40 is still 'hard'... hard enough that 9 would be pushing it... but I'm thinking I should try 45. Then again, I do it after flat bench and I'm already trashed going in.

Deadlift
Jumped right to 135 to start because I felt lazy
135 x 3
145 x 3
155 x 3
165 x 4 grip failed
165 x 6 grip failed again

BB Row

Damn. Missed them.

Smith Shrugs
135 x 10
155 x 10
175 x 10

Assisted Dips
10 x BW-20
10 x BW-20

Assisted wide-grip pull-ups
10 x BW - 70
10 x BW - 70

TOBART
09-26-2005, 07:39 PM
That's a lot of volume, esspecially on the bench work. The BB bench routine looks good and those are some pretty good numbers. I would suggest going straight to the 40's on incline DB press. The BB work prior to that should be plenty warmup.

I know how you're feeling on the DB work right after BB bench. I tried something similar for a month and I was just beat after doing the BB work. I switched that to dips and I've made huge improvements to both exercises since then.

Something like:
BB Bench for 5-8 sets
Dips for 3 sets

ShockBoxer
09-28-2005, 09:53 PM
I tend to save the dips and chins for last. One, because I want to make sure I'm not maxed out before I get all my compounds in, and two because if I'm running late I don't feel as bad ditching them (in the past. After my bench increased this week I reviewed everything that was different and dedicating time to the dips was the first thing I noticed).

I think I under-rated dips.

Week 10, Day 3 - Legs

ATF Squats
105 x 8
125 x 3
135 x 3
145 x 8
145 x 7

I don't think my quads are the weak point in this excercise for me. After doing them everything else feels wobbly except them.

Zercher Squats
30 x 10
100 x 8
100 x 8

These things are killers. My heart pounds so hard during them.

Straight Leg Deadlift

100 x 12
100 x 12

Way, way too light. I wish my gym was better equipped. I do these with the barbell rack weights because people get impatient if I take the bench bar and load it up (On Mondays I do).

Leg Curls

30 x 10
100 x 8
110 x 7

Calf Extension machine
180 x 10
195 x 10

This is even harder than doing them in the leg press, which was occupied.

A short work out but I think I covered all the bases. My legs seem to think so.

ShockBoxer
10-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Week 11

Stiff neck.

Argh.

Waffling whether to try some shoulder/arm work on Friday since I missed it last week (rotator cuff was acting up a little).

Guess I'll see Friday. I wanted to bench today but the discomfort I'm getting just sitting at my terminal at work makes me want to go home, take some more prescribed meds, and rest.

ShockBoxer
10-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Week 11, supposed to be day 5.

Well, I did my shoulder workout today.

Note to self. Overhead work is a little touchy after stiff neck.

That was a little tug. It was after my workout, where I yawned, that made a cord on the left side of my neck ache really bad. It passed after a minute of massaging it but for a second there it was like I hadn't recovered at all.

Sucked, but hopefully no lasting harm. Feel as recovered as I have all day (which is probably about 90%. Only hurts at the extremes of turning my neck side to side.)

Standing Military Press
10 x 40
3 x 50
3 x 60
3 x 70
7 x 80
6 x 80

These were harder than I recall. Form was falling apart. Damn. I worked hard to get them from 70 to 80... don't want to slide back.

Sitting Shoulder press (DB) - Skipped after feeling a tug during military press

Side Lat Raises (DB per side)
10 x 5
3 x 10
10 x 15
10 x 15

Perfect control at 15, as always, where 20 falls apart a little at rep 8. Didn't want to stress my neck/back much.

Rotator exercise

10 x 5
10 x 10

I did 20s at home but it sucked and the range of motion was **** after a few reps. I'm just doing these to throw a little extra at my rotator to supplement the compounds... not even considering doing these suckers to failure.

Close Grip Bench
12 x 45
3 x 95
3 x 105
3 x 110
7 x 115
6 x 115

French thingy - skipped to avoid overhead strain

BB Bicep Curls
10 x 40
3 x 50
3 x 60
7 x 70 - wtf?
6 x 70 - !!!

Ok, the bb curls wrecked me today... I've been doing 70 for weeks and today I felt like I was cheating it a bit on the last reps.

A guy saw me struggle and suggested I try something called "21s" ... that's 7 half curls (lower), 7 half-curls (upper), and 7 curls (full range of motion) with a more managable weight, no rest. I figured what the hell so...

7 low half x 40
7 upper x 40
7 full x 40

My biceps felt like they were going to explode. Don't know how good that is for strength gain, though... but I haven't gained on curls in... well, ever really.

ShockBoxer
10-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Week 12, Day 2 - Chest and Back

Bench
45 x 10
110 x 3
120 x 3
130 x 3
140 x 3
150 x 4 - So heavy
145 x 6
145 x 4

Didn't rest enough or was burned from the 150 attempt. Almost killed myself reracking... barely got the weight into the lowest hooks. Would have been better to have brought it down controlled on my chest because if I missed the bottom hooks it would have smashed into my forehead. Need spotter badly.

Standing BB Rows

10 x 40
10 x 60
8 x 70
8 x 80
8 x 110
8 x 110

My mind kept wandering and I kept forgetting I was supposed to be doing x 3 on the intermediate sets.

Deadlift
100 x 8
120 x 3
150 x 3
170 x 3
180 x 4

Totally not in control of the bar at 180

DB Press
45s x 0 - Total fail
40 x 10 - WTH?
40 x 8

Assisted Dips
8 x BW-20
8 x BW-20

Assisted Wide Grip Overhand Chins
8 x BW-70
8 x BW-60

DB Shrugs
10 x 75 dbs before

ShockBoxer
10-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Week 12, Day 4 - Legs

Smith Box Squats
175 x 8
175 x 8

Worthless. The smith fights against me now.

Zercher Squats (ATF)
8 x 100
8 x 100

These still work, at least

Hack Squats
8 x 100
8 x 100

SLDL
12 x 100
12 x 100

Leg Curl
8 x 100
8 x 100

Calf extension machine
195 x 8 (2 second pause top and bottom)
195 x 8

ShockBoxer
10-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Missed shoulders/arms day again. I'm always ****ing sick or injured on Friday. I'd go tomorrow but I like at least two days between shoulders and chest/back.

Grr.

I did a set of 50 x 20lb dbs shoulder press today between bouts of blowing my nose. It's just not the same...

ShockBoxer
10-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Week 13 Day 1 - CHest, Back

Flat BB Bench

45 x 10
105 x 3
115 x 3
125 x 3
135 x 3
145 x 6
145 x 8

Incline DB Bench
40x2 x 10
45x2 x 8

Think that's the first time I managed 45.

Standing Rows

100 x 8
110 x 8

Deadlift :cry:

95 x 8
145 x 8
165 x 6

At least my grip didn't fail today. It was more of... everything else.

Shrugs
75 x 2 x ... 2
65 x 2 x 10

Guess I was burned after the DL. Normally I shrug 75s. Oh well.

Assisted Dips
10 x BW-20
10 x BW-20

Going to have to go unassisted, I think.

Assisted Wide Grip Chins
10 x BW - 50
10 x BW -50

Getting better.

ShockBoxer
10-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Week 13, Day 4 - Legs

Gave up on the smith squats. They just don't feel right.

Zercher Squats (ATF)
10 x 50
10 x 100
8 x 110

Hack Squats (ATF)
10 x 70
8 x 100

Leg Press
4 plates x 12
6 plates x 12
8 plates x 8

Calf extention in leg press
4 plates x 12
6 plates x 12
8 plates x 12

Straight Leg Deadlift (Barbell)
10 x 50
12 x 100
12 x 110

SLDL (DB)
4 x 60x2

Won't be doing that again. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

Leg Curl (Hamstring)
10 x 80
8 x 100
8 x 100

ShockBoxer
10-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Week 13 Day 5 Arms and Stuff

Standing Military Press
10 x 30
3 x 50
8 x 80 .... some of the last of these I suddenly realized were half reps at best so I dropped weight
8 x 70 got higher on each press. Range of movement improved.

Sitting DB Shoulder Press
40 x 8
40 x 8

Rotator Cuff (DB)
10 x 5s
10 x 10s

Standing Lat Raises
10 x 10
10 x 15
10 x 15

20 is still too heavy to get perfect form on.

Close Grip Flat Bench
10 x 45
3 x 95
3 x 105
6 x 115
6 x 115

French Press
10 x 30
3 x 40
8 x 60
8 x 60

DB Hammer Curl
10 x 20s
0 x 35s fail
6 x 30s
6 x 30s

Form blew. I don't get it. Why would I be getting weaker on this when all my other lifts are increasing or staying the same?

Barbell Cur
70 x 4 - Dead from doing hammers first. I wasn't going to do these at all but I hate seeing losses.

Close Grip Assisted Pull Ups
10 x BW - 100
10 x BW - 50
10 x BW - 50

Blarg. Long way to go here.

ShockBoxer
10-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Week 14 Day 1 - CHest, Back

Flat BB Bench

45 x 10
95 x 3
105 x 3
115 x 3
125 x 3
135 x 3
145 x 7
145 x 6

Added one to the first working set at the cost of losing two on the second? Well, not about to whine over 1 rep down.

Incline DB Bench
45x2 x 8
45x2 x 8

Good second set. Hard. Barely got the 8th up.

Standing Rows (Parallel Back)
10 x 50
100 x 8
100 x 8

I did these bent over all the way for the first time. It was a little harder.

Deadlift

95 x 8
145 x 4
165 x 6
185 x 6
195 x 6 Barely

Yyyyesssss! I used a mixed grip and kept my arms shoulder width and practically limp.

Shrugs (BB)

12 x 145

Did them as I was unloading the bench bar after deads

Assisted Dips
8 x BW-20
8 x BW-20

Trashed today at this point

Lat pull down
10 x 75

Just because

Assisted Wide Grip Chins
6 x BW - 50
6 x BW -50

Urgh. That's not an improvement at all. Probably fatigued from the deads?

Rex
10-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Hey, it's looking good in here man. Nice and consistent. What are your goals?

Keep at it bro. The returns on your hard work will never cease to amaze.

ShockBoxer
10-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Goals are, in order of importance to me:

1) Health improvement (lower blood pressure, strengthen heart, lower chloresterol)
2) Strength
3) Lower body fat

Ultimately I just want to get much stronger while consistantly being below 15% body fat (8 to 12 is my ideal range). I'm hitting my health goals... I smacked the hell out of my high blood pressure. Right now the plan is to cut until somewhere around 10 percent and then a slow bulk until around 14. Then repeat. It's a long way off, though.

ShockBoxer
10-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Week 14 Day 4

Overhead Squat
10 x 50

Zercher Squat
10 x 110
8 x 110

SLDL
12 x 110
10 x 110

Hack Squat
8 x 110
8 x 110

Leg Press
6 plates x 10
8 plates x 8
8 plates x 8

Calf extension in leg press
8 plates x 12
8 plates x 15

Hamstring Leg Curl
100 x 10
100 x 10

Rex
10-27-2005, 09:16 PM
It's looking good man. The high volume is good for what you're trying to accomplish. A little cardio never hurt any either. ;)

ShockBoxer
10-28-2005, 09:34 AM
I don't eat enough to throw in cardio, currently. If that makes any sense. I'm trying not to go much below a 500 cal deficit and I already walk a half hour a day and only eat an average of 1750 cals.

I only use cardio to 'bank' a hundred extra calories if I'm expecting to go out to dinner or dessert or something with my friends after I'm done lifting (since I have no control over precisely how much is being prepared at a restaurant). I save 750 to 1000 calories for after my lifts for the same reason.

It's hard being friends with obese people now that I've lost so much fat. They don't seem to get that any of them could do the same. At the start of this year one of my friends and I were both 5'4, both 200. Now I'm 168 and he's 206. Both our doctors said to get to at least 165. His response was 'I'd have to cut off a leg'. I chose a different path.

ShockBoxer
10-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Week 14 Day 5 - Arms

Standing Military Press
10 x 30
3 x 50
3 x 60
8 x 70
6 x 80

DB Shoulder Press
10 x 20s
2 x 40s
8 x 35s
8 x 35s barely

Standing Lat Raises
10 x 15 Left
10 x 15 Right
8 x 20 Together. Good form for once.

Close Grip Flat Bench
10 x 45
3 x 95
3 x 105
6 x 115
6 x 115

French Press
10 x 30
8 x 60
8 x 60

Close Grip Chin (Negatives)
8 x BW

Close Grip Chin (assisted)
10 x BW - 50
8 x BW - 50

DB Hammer Curls

10 x 20s
8 x 25s
8 x 25s

One express elevator to hell, going down... why am I constantly losing on my arms and shoulders and gaining/maintaining on the rest? Sigh.

Rex
10-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Huge congratulations on your sucess up until now! Weight loss of 30+ pounds is not at all trivial! Keep at it, nothing motivates like sucess.

ShockBoxer
10-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Week 15, Day One - Chest/Back

Flat Barbell Bench
10 x 45
3 x 95
3 x 105
3 x 115
3 x 125
3 x 135
6 x 145
8 x 145

I lost control of the bar during the x8 set. I recovered but now the back of my arm and top of my shoulder are a little pissed off. Still, feels better than when it happened. Hopefully no lasting harm.

Standing Rows (90 degree)
110 x 8 (overhand)
110 x 8 (underhand)

Deadlift
8 x 95
4 x 145
4 x 200
4 x 200

DB Incline Bench
8 x 50s
6 x 50s

DB Shrugs
10 x 80s

Assisted Dips
BW - 30 x 10
BW - 30 x 10

Assisted Chins
BW - 50 x 8
BW - 40 x 6

A few numbers up... that's what I like to see. Probably my cheat weekend.

[[[----]]]
10-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Good work man.

ShockBoxer
10-31-2005, 08:54 PM
I definitely tweaked something in my right shoulder. I couldn't even give my girlfriend a back massage. Good thing it's more than 48 hours until my next workout. Plenty of time to chill out, eat a lot of protein, and keep some ice on things. I've had a lot worse so I'm hopeful it chills out quickly.

Today was the first Monday in several weeks where my weight wasn't down a pound. At one time that would have bothered me a bit... but now I actually had a part of me go 'really? yes! maybe I gained some LBM!'.

ShockBoxer
11-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Rest of week 15

Hurt my shoulder worse than I thought. Rotator cuff is NOT something I want to mess around with much so I'm taking it easy. It's doing much better but it still is uncomfortable reaching my whey down from the top shelf or washing dishes.

ShockBoxer
11-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Week 16 Day One - Blah

I went to the gym to see how my shoulder would hold up. The stations were all busy so eventually I just tried a hammer strength bench press.

95 x 10
110 x 8 (left arm) x 4 right

My shoulder still isn't up to speed at all, it seems. There's no way I should have been able to do more with my left arm. It was uncomfortable... not painful... but the difficulty in moving the weight spoke for itself.

Moved on to keep testing

BB Curls
20 x 40

Got bored at 20. No effect on shoulder.

Bent over Rows
110 x 10 (overhand)
110 x 10 (underhand)

These were fine

Deadlift
12 x 110

This light a weight I was fine, but I could feel a tension. I knew I couldn't take it heavier without stressing something.

Flat Barbell Bench

After the hammer I knew what to expect but I tried anyways

10 x 45
17 x 95

Again, I could tell I would regret it if I went heavier. It was amusing to do 17 reps of a weight I could barely handle when I started, though. I could have done 25 easy.

DB Shrugs
15 x 80x2 - 160 is fine.

Lat Pull Down -- ha. As soon as I touched it my shoulder told me what to do with myself.

Rotator cuff exercises
10 x 5 lb
10 x 10 lb
10 x 15 lb

Surprisingly these didn't hurt at all. Maybe it's not my cuff that's hurt... maybe one of the deltoids instead.

So, definitely no gains this week... but better than nothing.

ShockBoxer
11-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Week 16 - Day 4 - Still Injured

This sucks.

Well, today was legs so I didn't really lose anything at least.

Standing Military Press
12 x 50

This didn't hurt at all.

Zercher Squats
110 x 10
110 x 10

SLDL
110 x 12
110 x 12

Hack Squats
110 x 8
110 x 8

Leg Press
10 x 4 plates
8 x 8 plates
8 x 8 plates

Calf Extension in Leg Press
12 x 8 plates
12 x 8 plates

Rotator cuff excercises
10 x 15 no problems at all

Lat Pull Down
0 x 75 (light) Uh... no. As soon as I got in position my arm said not yet
12 x 45 these were ok, though. Still, my lat pull down is definitely suffering right now.

Which means pull ups and chin ups are still out.

burban1725
11-11-2005, 07:53 AM
Great improvement. I read through your journal and you have made some great progress.

f=ma
11-11-2005, 08:45 AM
real nice lower body work bro, keep it up

ShockBoxer
11-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks! I'm never quite satisfied with my legs. I'm sore the next day and beginning to show some good definition as my body fat drops but I can't help thinking that I should be able to do much more... especially leg press.

Gym said they should have a squat rack in place by after Christmas. Zerchers are killers - I love 'em - but I would like to do some 'regular' squats with heavier weight for less reps.

This journal was a great idea. When I started thought I'd be lucky to get to benching 135 by spring. Keeping close track of everything has allowed me to push my limits whenever there's a spotter around and remind me of where I started.

ShockBoxer
11-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Week 17 Day One - Injured Week 2

Hammer Bench Press
95 x 12
110 x 10
110 x 6

Face Pull

15 x 15 per side
15 x 30
15 x 45
12 x 60
10 x 75 - this was comical. It's almost as much as I weigh so it damn near flung me out the window on the negative

Bent over Standing Rows
10 x 110
10 x 110
10 x 110

oof

Deadlift
12 x 110
12 x 110

Shrugs
10 x 85dbs
10 x 85dbs

New PR for shrugs. 170. Ripped my hands to shreds gripping it.

Short workout. Missing the pull ups and dips already.

razorcut
11-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Great work. Nice journal, BTW. First time to visit for me.

ShockBoxer
11-18-2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks. The journal really works to keep me on track.

Week 17 Day 4 (Yesterday) - Injured Week 2

Overhead Squats
8 x 40

Zercher Squats
12 x 110
10 x 110

Hack Squats
8 x 110
8 x 110

SLDL
12 x 110
12 x 110

Leg Press
8 x 8 plates
8 x 8 plates

Calf Extension in Leg Press (3 sec pause top and bottom)
12 x 8 plates
12 x 8 plates

The pause is the killer

Leg Curls
15 x 40
10 x 100
10 x 110

ShockBoxer
11-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Got a little backlogged on the journal. Missed the gym Friday for personal reasons and was busy Saturday. Still, with my trusty rusty 20lb dbs at home I did a few things on Saturday.

Week 17, Day Six, Week 2 Injured (Saturday)

Hammer Curls
15 x 20lbx2
15 x 20lbx2

Bicep Curls
15 x 20lbx2
15 x 20lbx2

Overhead tricep extensions
10 x 20lbx2

Lunges
10 x 20lbx2

Standing Lat Raise
8 x 20lbx2

Pushups
1 x 55 BW, Nose to Floor

Not much of an arm/shoulder workout compared to the gym. Since they were so light I focused an incredible amount on form for the Hammers and curls. Locked my elbows to my sides. Made the weight a lot harder and felt it a lot more. This makes me think that I probably am cheating on the 30s and 35s. I'm going to swallow my pride and see how much I can actually hammer and curl x 8 with PERFECT form. Should be better for me in the long run.

ShockBoxer
11-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Week 18, Day One, Injured Week 3

I went through my normal routine today, mindful of any distress from the shoulder. Ultimately it hurt about as much coming out of the routine as it did going into the gym so I call that good enough. Actually, it felt pretty good once the adrenaline kicked in... but I'll pay for that later I'm sure.

I switched up the order of excercises

Flat Bench
10 x 45
3 x 95
3 x 105
3 x 115
3 x 125
3 x 135
6 x 145
8 x 145

Deadlift
10 x 95
3 x 145
4 x 205
3 x 205

Urrrrrgh. I'm going to feel that in the morning. I pray my form was as good as I thought it was.

Face Pull
10 x 90
10 x 120

Incline Dumbell Bench

8 x 50s
6 x 50s

Standing Barbell Rows

110 x 8
110 x 8

Really tried to keep my shoulders pinched this time. Was terminated from deads as well.

DB Shrugs

10 x 85s

Yeah. This sucked. My right shoulder (injured) was barely able to get 3/4 the range of motion. I wondered why for about 3 seconds and then realized that my 'PR' last week probably had a lot to do with not deadlifting.

Assisted Pull Ups and Dips - Alternated between them for sets

Pull - 10 x BW-50
Dip - 10 x BW-20
Pull - 10 x BW-50
Dip - 9 x BW-20 and fail on 10. Felt that in the shoulder. Dumbass. Well, hopefully no lasting harm.

I've stopped gaining in most excercises. I'm not surprised... the newbie honeymoon can't last forever, after all. My focus now is to maintain and gain when I can while I burn a bit more fat.

ShockBoxer
11-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Week 18, Day 5, Injured Week 3

"Get your ass in the gym" day

I missed yesterday so I did an impromptu combo day.

Standing Military Press

10 x 40
8 x 70
8 x 70

Nailed the form. Full range of motion. Better than a shakey 80.

Zercher Squats
12 x 110
10 x 110

SLDL
12 x 110
12 x 110

Leg Press
10 x 8 plates
10 x 8 plates

Close Grip Bench Press
10 x 45
3 x 95
3 x 105
6 x 115

Couldn't do a second set. My shoulder complained too much finishing the first working set.

Barbell Curls
10 x 40
6 x 70

Nailed the form at the cost of a few reps.

DB Shoulder Press
10 x 20s ... just. This one still bugs my shoulder too much. It was supposed to be my warm up set

DB Standing Lat Raises
10 x 10s
8 x 15s
8 x 20s

Assisted Chin-Ups
10 x BW-60
8 x BW-40

Incline Crunches (25 lb plate)
10, 10, 8

Hamstring Curl
12 x 60
10 x 110
10 x 110

ShockBoxer
11-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Week 19 Day 1, Injured Week 4

Shoulder is almost off the injured thing. It's only affecting a few exercises now. I definitely feel it after shrugs, pull ups, and benching but it's not shooting pain or anything.

Flat Bench
10 x 45
3 x 95
3 x 105
3 x 115
3 x 125
3 x 135
6 x 147.5 (heh)
8 x 147.5

Hey, progress is progress.

Deadlift
8 x 95
4 x 145
4 x 210
4 x 210

DB Incline Bench
8 x 50x2
6 x 50x2

Standing BB Rows
10 x 110
8 x 110

DB Shrugs
8 x 80x2

Assisted Overhand Pull Ups
8 x BW-40
8 x BW-40

Dips (Unassisted! Victory!)

10 x BW
9 x BW

ShockBoxer
12-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Week 19, Day 5, Injured Week 4

Dammit, I've got to stop missing training days.

Standing Military
10 x 40
4 x 80 - Form good, reps bad
8 x 70
8 x 70

Standing Lat Raises (DBs)
10 x 10s
10 x 20s

DB Shoulder Press
10 x 20s
10 x 30s

Shoulder still hurt doing these so I didn't go heavier.

Close Grip Bench Press
10 x 45
3 x 95
3 x 105
6 x 115
6 x 115

French Thingy
10 x 30
8 x 60
8 x 60

DB Hammer Curls
6 x 30s
5 x 30s

Assisted Chin Ups
10 x BW-40
8 x BW-30

Chin ups are coming along nicely.

ShockBoxer
12-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Week 20, Day 1, Injured (sort of) Week 5

Shoulder isn't bothering me at all on chest/back day.

Pre-Workout Weight: 163

Flat Bench
10 x 45
3 x 115
3 x 125
3 x 130
3 x 135
3 x 140
6 x 150 PR
8 x 150 PR :cool:

Deadlift
8 x 115
4 x 165
4 x 215
4 x 215

Incline Dumbell Bench
8 x 50s
6 x 55s PR

Standing Barbell Row
8 x 110
8 x 110

Dumbell Shrugs
10 x 80Dbs

Assisted Pull-Ups
8 x BW-40
6 x BW-30 PR

Unassisted Dips
10 x BW
9 x BW

ShockBoxer
12-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Week 20 Day 4 Injured Week 5

Weight: 164.5

Zercher Squats
120 x 8
120 x 8

SLDL
120 x 10
120 x 12

Leg Press
9 plates x 8
9 plates x 8

Calf Extension in Leg Press (3 count pause up and down)
9 plates x 8
9 plates x 8

Leg Curl
70 x 10
120 x 2
110 x 8
110 x 8

Skipped the hacks today... my back was complaining after the zerchers for some reason.

ShockBoxer
12-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Week 21 Day 1 Maybe Injured Week 1

Pre Workout Weight: 163.5

Hah! One shoulder heals and I may have tweaked the other. Figures. Well, we'll see how it goes.

Flat Barbell Bench
10 x 45
95 x 4
115 x 3
125 x 3
135 x 3
145 x 3
152.5 x 6
152.5 x 8

Deadlift
115 x 4
185 x 3
215 x 4
215 x 4

And my left grip died a horrible death. I landed it with two fingers holding up the left hand side of the bar, which is what my shoulder is bitching about

Standing BB Rows
8 x 110 Overhand
8 x 110 Underhand

Incline DB Press
6 x 55s Uh, ouch? Should have done the 50s first again I guess.
8 x 50s

DB Shrugs
10 x 80s

Assisted Over-Hand Pull Ups
8 x BW-30
6 x BW-30

Unassisted Dips
10 x BW
8 x BW

SW
12-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Damn bro. Serious dedication in here. Very good job thus far, your volume on zerchers, deads and leg press would make me sick lol. I like this journal.

ShockBoxer
12-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Holiday season is being hellish for scheduling. I've been lucky to squeeze two days in... but I'm going to change that this week.

Yeah, my leg workout typically makes me a little queasy. I'm not happy unless my hands shake when my workout is done... even lower body.

SW
12-13-2005, 06:02 PM
That's a great attitude. Will get you far.

ShockBoxer
12-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Week 21 Day 4

Pre-Workout Weight: 135.5

Zercher Squats (ATF)
10 x BW warm up
8 x 130
8 x 130

SLDL
10 x 130
8 x 130

Leg Press
4 plates x 10 warm up
10 plates x 8
10 plates x 8

Calve Extension in Leg Press (3 Sec Pause up, 3 sec down)
10 plates x 10
10 plates x 10

Hamstring Curl
10 x 80
8 x 110
8 x 110

Acceptable workout. My leg lifts are going NUTS lately.

SW
12-15-2005, 04:49 PM
DO you feel an intense burn on leg lifts? I just wondered because whenever I went over 6 reps I did, bad. Good workout all around man.

ShockBoxer
12-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Intense? Not really. I do enough weight that I CAN'T do either a 13th rep or 9th rep on the zerchers. The leg press I just make sure to dip low enough that one more rep would have my knees pressed against my chest humiliated. Imagining this happening is enough to push up that 8th rep.

Now, my calves burn like hell after the paused extensions. About rep 9 it feels like I'm holding a match under them.

SW
12-15-2005, 05:04 PM
My feeling is more that of a blowtorch, but I catch your drift.

ShockBoxer
12-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Yeah, it can feel pretty intense. Especially if I go 'just... one... more'. It becomes unbearable after rep 10.

Week 21, Day 5

Pre-Workout Weight: 164

Standing Military Press
10 x 30
3 x 40
3 x 50
3 x 60
3 x 70
6 x 80
6 x 80

Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press
10 x 20dbs
1 x 40dbs Nope
8 x 35dbs
8 x 35dbs

Standing Dumbell Lat Raises
10 x 10dbs
8 x 20dbs

Close Grip Flat Bench Press
10 x 45
3 x 95
3 x 115
6 x 120 PR
6 x 120

French Thingy
10 x 30
8 x 60
8 x 60

Dumbell Hammer Curls
10 x 20dbs
6 x 30dbs

Assisted Chin Ups
8 x BW-25

Unassisted Chin Ups
4 x BW PR

Victory is mine! Heh. Been wanting to do unassisted Chins for months.

tigo
12-16-2005, 05:47 PM
nice CG BP man
i have to start doing those again ahah

SW
12-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Good workout. What are some of your goals?

ShockBoxer
12-16-2005, 11:10 PM
I like the close grip bench. It's hard as hell... really makes you feel that rep 6.

As for a few goals...

Flat Bench 200 x 8
A set of 20 unassisted chins.
Deadlift 300
Bodyfat 10% at 180 lb

Those are a few of my ego driven ones.

The main reason I got into weightlifting was for my health... lower blood pressure, lower chloresterol, lower body fat, and be more active. All of those things have occurred. Now I keep training to see how far my body can go 100% natural and keep those health benefits I worked hard to see. Plus, it lets me eat whatever I want.

ShockBoxer
12-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Week 22, Day 2

Pre-Workout Weight: 164

I might have gained a half pound. I hope not. It would mean, after four weeks of eating 2400, my maintenance would be something like 2200. That means cutting at 1700 and that little food is hell...

Flat Barbell Bench
45 x 10
115 x 3
125 x 3
135 x 3
145 x 3
155 x 6
155 x 8 PR

Deadlift
115 x 8
185 x 4
220 x 4
220 x 4 PR

Incline Dumbell Bench Press
20dbs x 10
50dbs x 8
55dbs x 6

Standing Barbell Rows
110 x 8 (Overhand)
110 x 8 (Underhand)

Dumbell Shrugs
80dbs x 10

Unassisted Pull-Ups
4 x BW
4 x BW PR

Unassisted Dips
10 x BW
10 x BW

I think I might have tweaked my right shoulder again. Heh. Probably wasn't fully healed from last time... but it's not bad at all. Hopefully a nice hot shower and a massage sort it out without affecting my routine.

SW
12-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Good job! Hitting plenty of pr's and such in here. I like to see that :)

ShockBoxer
12-20-2005, 07:42 PM
It's the extra food. :evillaugh

If nothing else this month of eating at (or maybe slightly over... still out on that) maintenance has seen some nice increases in strength.

SW
12-20-2005, 07:52 PM
I think that's a good part of how I'm getting better too.

jays6pack
12-21-2005, 05:18 AM
Hey keep it going man, we share the same name, wicked..

Ryder
12-22-2005, 03:32 AM
Hey keep it going man, we share the same name, wicked..

Hmm this guy sent me private message yesterday by mistake. Anyway how come he was banned, he only had like three posts and none of them were rude etc.

ShockBoxer
12-22-2005, 06:30 PM
You'd have to ask a mod on that one.

Week 22, Day 4

Pre-Workout Weight 162.1 <-- Heh. This makes no sense to me. Oh well.

Overhead Squats
10 x 45

Zercher Squats (ATF)
140 x 8
140 x 8 PR

Almost puked after those

SLDL
140 x 12 PR
150 x 10

Leg Press
4 plates x 10
10 plates x 8
10 plates x 8

Calve Extension in Leg Press (3 Sec pause up, 3 down)
10 plates x 10
10 plates x 10

Hamstring Curl
10 x 80
6 x 120
6 x 120

Hanging Leg Raises
8 x Unweighted

Unassisted Chin Ups
4 x BW ... hey, I was hanging there anyways. Couldn't resist.

SW
12-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Legpress and SLDL's looking very nice man.

ShockBoxer
12-22-2005, 09:12 PM
I had a guy ask if doing deadlifts without a belt hurt.

I told him not if you kept your form perfect. As soon as your form starts to go put the weight down.

150 was ok. I think I'll probably up it... but the Zerchers Ii'll be lucky to increase next week. They were HEAVY.

ShockBoxer
12-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Week 23, Day 4

Well, Christmas was a blow out. The gym was closed (moving to a new location) until tonight. At least a week off gave my cns a chance to recover or something.

New gym space is ok. They have a POWER RACK! Woo! I've been bugging them for one for months. That makes it worth the extra trouble getting to it.

It was cool. I walked into the place and a new girl looked me up and down and said 'Free-weights are in the back left room'. She was directing most other people who wandered in to the cardio rooms. Hopefully that means I've started to look big. :evillaugh

Back room was under construction but a few of us regulars were there doing sets while workers were putting **** up. They were looking at us like we were crazy.

ShockBoxer
12-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Week 23, Day 4

Pre workout weight: 161 (?!?! .. I thought I ate everything in sight over christmas. I didn't track, though)

ATF SQUATS!

135 x 8
135 x 8

Man, are those intense. Love 'em and hope to see some serious gains now that I have access to a non-smith rack.

SLDL
95 x 10
145 x 8
145 x 10

Hack Squats

115 x 8
115 x 8

Haven't done those in ages because usually I do leg press

Calve Extensions in Leg Press (3 sec pause up and down)
10 plates x 12
10 plates x 10

Leg Press
10 plates x 8

Well, since I was there anyways and it was loaded...

Chin Ups
BW x 6

Couldn't help myself.

Hanging Leg Lifts
8 reps
8 reps

The hamstring curl machine wasn't in yet so I missed it.

Stumprrp
12-29-2005, 04:47 PM
loooking good in here man, keep on pushin

ShockBoxer
12-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Plan on it. I love this ****. :)

ShockBoxer
01-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Week 24, Day 1

Finally, all the craziness of the season is over. Back to lifting.

Pre-Workout Weight: 161.5

Flat Barbell Bench
10 x 45
3 x 95
3 x 105
3 x 115
3 x 125
3 x 135
3 x 145
6 x 157.5
7 x 157.5 PR

Deadlift
4 x 225
4 x 230 PR

8 x 50s
5 x 55s fail

Standing Barbell Rows
10 x 110 underhand
10 x 110 overhand

Dumbell Shrugs
10 x 80s
10 x 80s

DB shrugs work my grip more than my traps

Unassisted Dips
12 x BW
9 x BW

Unassisted Pull-Ups
4 x BW
4 x BW + 2 x BW chins

Maybe I should go back to BW-25 for pull ups (I'm fine with chin)

ShockBoxer
01-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Week 24, Day 3

Pre-WO Weight: 163 (2lb in two days on 3k a day. :rolleyes: )

Squats
5 x 115
5 x 125
5 x 135
5 x 145
5 x 155
5 x 165

I will be lucky to walk tomorrow. I felt I could do more but by the last set I was just below parallel and rising. I won't let myself be deceived by the weight. I want depth.

SLDL
8 x 95
8 x 150
8 x 150

Hack Squats
6 x 150
6 x 150

Laziness. Didn't feel like unloading the bar from the SLDL... so I didn't. Most I've ever hacked that's for sure.

Calve Extension in Leg Press (3 sec up, 3 down)
10 plates x 12
10 plates x 10

Hamstring Curl
100 x 8
100 x 8

Meh. Was definitely hurting from the squats.

Pull Ups
4 x BW I've got to stop doing these when I have a second to kill waiting for a bus.

ShockBoxer
01-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Week 24 day 6

Pre-Workout Weight: 165 (another two days, another two pounds)

Standing Barbell Military Press

12 x 45
6 x 75 underhand
8 x 75 overhand
6 x 75 underhand

Grip makes a big difference for me on this exercise. Kind of tweaked my left shoulder (sigh) on the last set underhand

10 x 20s
6 x 40s

Didn't want to push my shoulder too much.

Standing Dumbell Lat Raises
10 x 15s
6 x 20s

Close Grip Flat Barbell Bench
12 x 45
3 x 95
3 x 115
6 x 125
6 x 125

French Press
8 x 60
8 x 60

Dumbell Hammer Curls
10 x 5s (feel the burn!)
6 x 30s

Chin-Ups
5 x BW
5 x BW
5 x BW

ShockBoxer
01-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Week 24 Day 6 Caliper Measurements

This should be fun. It's a one point measurement taken at the suprailliac.

21 mm, 25, 30, 26, 28, 26, 22, 24, 24, 24, 26, 22, 26, 20, 24, 22, 22, 24, 20, 30, 30, 30, 24, 32, 30, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

... I suck at this. Heh. 31 trials.

Eventually I just gave up and marked the spot they wanted measured with a pen. It was the 24 mm spot.

Whatever. According to their chart that's 23% body fat which I can believe. I don't care about that. I just want a spot I can hit consistantly to track mm on this bulk. Maybe I'll use under my chin. :)

ShockBoxer
01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Week 25 Day One

Pre-Workout Weight: 165

Flat Barbell Bench
10 x 45
5 x 115
3 x 125
3 x 135
3 x 145
6 x 160
7 x 160 PR

Deadlift
8 x 135
4 x 205
4 x 235 PR
1 x 240 grip died
1 x 240 grip died
2 x 235 grip died

Sigh.

Upright Rows (Overhand)
8 x 110

Standing Bent Over Rows (Underhand Grip)
10 x 110

Dumbell Incline Bench
7 x 50s
7 x 50s

Dumbell Shrugs
10 x 80s

Unassisted Pull Ups
4 x BW
4 x BW

Unassisted Dips
12 x BW
10 x BW

Standing There Holding Two Dumbells
12 seconds x 80s

Farmer Walk
4 lengths of the weight room with 40 lbs.

Hands... too... sweaty.... weight... so heavy... must... not drop... Deadlift loaded bar.

Post Workout Calipers: 24 mm x 3 readings

ShockBoxer
01-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Week 25 Day 4

Pre-WO Weight: 165

ATF Squats
8 x 135
6 x 145
6 x 145

Something went wrong with these, I think. My back ached pretty bad after them. I think it was during the upright portion of the lift.

SLDL
8 x 150
8 x 150

Hack Squats
6 x 150
6 x 150

Grip failed

DB Saxxon Side Bends
10 x 50s
10 x 55s

Grip failed before obliques did.

Hanging Knee Raises
2 sets of 6 (both times my grip gave out before my abs did. Sigh.)

Post Workout Caliper

20 mm x 3 readings.

Yeah, right. User error I am sure.

ShockBoxer
01-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Week 25, Day 6

Pre-WO: 165

Standing Military Press (Overhand grip)
10 x 45
6 x 85
6 x 85

Sitting Dumbell Press
10 x 20s
2 x 40s
6 x 35s
5 x 35s

Standing Lat Raises
10 x 20s
10 x 20s

10 x 45
3 x 95
3 x 105
3 x 115
5 x 125
6 x 125

Dumbell Lying Triceps Extension
10 x 20s
6 x 25s
5 x 25s (and fail)

Hammer Curls
12 x 15s
6 x 30s

Chin-Ups
6 x BW
6 x BW

Overhead work still stresses my shoulder quite a bit.

tigo
01-15-2006, 03:41 AM
very nice lifting man glad you got your rack haha

Adam
01-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Eventually I just gave up and marked the spot they wanted measured with a pen. I just want a spot I can hit consistantly to track mm on this bulk. Maybe I'll use under my chin. :)

:idea: Tattoo little dots on yourself. Nobody else will see them;)

ShockBoxer
01-16-2006, 06:25 AM
Sadly, far too true.

ShockBoxer
01-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Week 26, Day 2

Pre-Workout: 165 lb... still... so much for pound a day

Flat BB Bench Press

I did these in the power rack and it kind of sucked getting it over the guard.

45x10
115x3
125x3
135x3
145x3
162.5x4 Barely
162.5x2 fail
160x6

Deadlift
115x8
185x4 (double overhand)
235x4 (mixed)
235x4 (switched mixed)

A little smoother, but no increases.

Bent Over BB Rows
45x10
115x8 (Overhand)
120x8 (Underhand)

Incline DB Bench Press
35x8
50xfail
50x6

Shoulder was bugging me. Either 35 was too heavy to warm up with or my flat bench totally nuked me (or the order. Normally I do these right after deadlift).

Barbell Shrugs
115 x 10
185 x 10
185 x 10

Had to mix grip these, but I alternated between sets.

Pull Ups
5 x BW
4 x BW

Dips
15xBW
10xBW

Post WO Caliper: 20-24mm

Kiaran
01-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Just stopped by to scope out your journal. You've made some great progress, man. Keep it movin'!

ShockBoxer
01-19-2006, 05:09 PM
I love the strength increases and change to my overall physique. Wish I'd started this years ago.

Week 26, Day 4

Pre WO Weight: 166 ... hah. Figures. Just because I decided I wanted to cut some more because I want to bulk from a leaner base.

Squats (ATF)
45 x 10
115 x 8
125 x 3
135 x 3
150 x 8
150 x 6

SLDL
115 x 8
135 x 3
155 x 8
175 x 8 PR by a lot

Hack Squats
155 x 6
175 x 6 PR big time

Calf Extensions in Leg Press (3 sec pause up, 3 sec down)
10plates x 12
10plates x 10

Hamstring Curls
110 x 10
120 x 8

I don't understand what happened with the SLDL and Hacks. Last week it was all I could do to get 145 for 6 reps off the floor for hacks in particular.

ShockBoxer
01-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Week 26, Day 6 and 7

Haven't had a chance to get to the gym but I did arm/shoulders with my 20s at home. Sort of.

Standing Miltary Press (Well, DB press)
20 x 20s

22 x 20s
25 x 20s

Standing DB Lat Raises

12 x 20s
12 x 20s

This is what I do at the gym anyways

Lying DB Tricep Extensions

12 x 20s
12 x 20s

This wasn't so bad because I can only do 25s anyways.

Hammer Curls
25 x 20s
25 x 20s

Yeah... feel the pump. Woo.

How the **** can people standing working out like this all the time?

ShockBoxer
01-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Week 27, Day One

Pre-Workout Weight: 162. Goodbye, water weight...

Flat Barbell Bench Press
10 x 45
3 x 115
3 x 125
3 x 135
3 x 145
6 x 160
6 x 160

Might have got seven with a spotter around.

Deadlift
8 x 115
4 x 185 (double overhand)
4 x 235 (mixed, left overhand)
2 x 240 (mixed, left overhand). Left grip died
2 x 235 (mixed, right overhand) Left grip died
2 x 235 Left grip died

AAAaarrrrgh. Stupid grip.

Bent over Standing Rows
8 x 125
8 x 125

I sincerely doubt I'm doing these right (been trying to bend over more)

Dumbell Incline Bench Press
10 x 20s
8 x 50s
6 x 50s

Barbell Shrugs
10x45
10x185
10x205
10x225

.... sigh. Obviously I underestimated my 10 rep working on these (used to the DBs, which are harder to grip)

Pull Ups
6xBW
4xBW

Dips
16 x BW
10 x BW

Kiaran
01-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Nice work with the legs, man. Getting things moving good in here. Keep em rollin'!

ShockBoxer
01-24-2006, 05:59 AM
I'm switching back to a cut so the strength gains will probably slow a lot. Still, I'm happy with what I managed to get up to in a lot of the lifts during my maintenance and baby bulk.

ShockBoxer
01-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Week 27, Day 4

Cut #2 Week 1

Pre-WO Weight: 163

ATF Squats
20 x 40
20 x 95
14 x 105

Looks like I might be able to get the 105 fresh for a 20 rep set. My quads were pulsating after this.

SLDL
115 x 8
185 x 8
185 x 8

Hack Squats
185 x 4 grip
185 x 7
185 x 1 grip totally burned

Calf Extension in Leg Press (3 sec pause up, 3 down)
11 plates x 10
11 plates x 10

Hamstring Leg Curl
120 x 8
130 x 8

Hanging Leg Lifts
2 sets of 8

Saxxon Side Bends
8 x 65 right (grip burned)
10 x 65 left

ShockBoxer
01-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Week 28, Day 1

Ok, the weekend blew for getting to a gym and I don't know why. Think I paid for it as well.

Pre-Workout Weight: 161-162 ... scale was screwed

Flat Barbell Bench Press
10 x 45
3 x 115
3 x 125
3 x 135
3 x 145
6 x 160
6 x 160

Deadlift :cry:
115 x 8 double overhand
185 x 4 double overhand
235 x 3 mixed. left grip failed
235 x 1 left grip
235 x 2 left grip

Why the hell would my grip be getting WEAKER, cut or no?

Standing Bent Over Barbell Rows
8 x 125
10 x 125

8 x 50s
8 x 50s

Shrugs
7 x 225 .. half reps. Don't know what the hell I was on last week.
8 x 205
8 x 205 much better

Dips
18 x BW
12 x BW

Pull Ups
5 x BW
4 x BW

Post calipers:
20mm, three readings

ShockBoxer
02-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Week 28 Day 4

Pre-WO: 162.5 or so

ATF Squats
20 x 45
15 x 105
15 x 105

SLDL
10 x 115
6 x 205
6 x 205

Hack Squats
6 x 185 grip failed
6 x 185 grip

BB Static Hold
185 x 28 seconds... and tore a bloody callus clean off. See general health.

Workout aborted after that point. Sigh.

tigo
02-02-2006, 05:48 PM
holy crap those are high reps for squats
nice job mang.. you have a battle scar !! :evillaugh im starting to get those on my palms

ShockBoxer
02-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I was shooting for 20 rep because some people here swear by it but I over-estimated myself a bit. Seriously tears up my quads... can barely walk afterwards. If I was bulking there's no doubt that sets like that would get me growing.

I'm cutting, though (theoretically), so it's extra calories burned.

ShockBoxer
02-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Week 29, Day 1

Missed another arm day on the weekend because of the whole torn open hand thing.

Pre-WO weight: 163.5 ... oh yeah, that's a cut alright. Woo.

Flat Barbell Bench Press
10 x 45
3 x 115
3 x 125
3 x 135
3 x 145
6 x 160
6 x 160

Deadlift
8 x 135
4 x 185
3 x 235 left over, right under. Grip failed
5 x 235 right over, left under. YYYYyyeeessss!

8 x 30s
6 x 50s
6 x 50s

Standing Dumbell Bent Over Rows
10 x 50s
8 x 60s
8 x 60s

Barbell Shrugs
10 x 135
10 x 205
8 x 225 ... didn't like the range of moton on this set

Pull Ups
5 x BW
4 x BW

Weighted Dips
8 x BW+20
6 x BW+20

Post Calipers: 20 mm x 3 readings

ShockBoxer
02-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Week 29, Day 4

Pre-Work: 161.5

ATF Squats
45 x 10
135 x 6
155 x 6
155 x 6

SLDL
135 x 6
205 x 6
205 x 6

Hack Squats
205 x 6
205 x 6

Grip started to go on rep five but I managed to coax one more out of it.

Hamstring Curl
120 x 8
120 x 8

Hanging Knee Raises
8 x standard + 20 db
8 x standard

Post Calipers:

20 mm x 3 reads

ShockBoxer
02-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Week 29, Day 7

Slacker day :cry:

Nobody to blame buy myself for missing another Saturday session at the gym. I think I'll look into getting a set of 30lb DBs.

Hammer Curls
25 x 20lbs

Lying Tricep Extensions
8 x 20s
8 x 20s

At least these are the right weight

Standing Military Press
20 x 20s

Lateral Side Raises
8 x 20s
8 x 20s

These as well

Pull Ups
4 x BW ... done by gripping the top of a door. Shredded my hands so no second set. Heh.

Suck ass workout. Better than nothing but not by much.

ShockBoxer
02-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Week 30, Day 1

Cut Week 3

Pre-WO Weight: 163. Cut isn't going well, apparantly.

Flat Dumbell Bench Press
10 x 30s
3 x 40s
8 x 55s
7 x 55s

These really, really hit my chest. So much so that I couldn't even do the inclines.

Deadlift
145 x 4 Double over
205 x 4 Mixed, right under
235 x 4 Mixed, left under
240 x 4 Mixed, left under PR

You can tell I'm cutting 'cuz my working sets are increasing. (?!)

Bent Over Standing Rows
135 x 8 (Over)
125 x 7 (under)

Barbell Shrugs
135 x 10 Double over
205 x 10 Mixed, left under
225 x 8 Mixed, left under

Weighted Dips
8 x BW+20
8 x BW+20

Pull Ups
5 x BW
5 x BW

Post calipers:
20 mm x 3 reads

seems familiar

f=ma
02-14-2006, 05:21 PM
very nice bro.. even though your weight is up a bit no worries.. you must be pretty nice and ripped looking at 163

ShockBoxer
02-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Well, not really. Compared to when I was 180 or 200 hell yeah... but by my guess I'm still at least 18% bf.

I can't figure my weight out. I maintained all December on 2400, 2500. I failed to bulk on 3k. The most I've eaten since I started cutting was 2400 and most days are 1800-2000. My weight is still bouncing all over the place after three weeks and the calipers haven't changed even a MM.

It's just weird.

Kiaran
02-15-2006, 11:55 AM
The deadlifts are coming along, shock. How's the calus doing? Strange thing about the weight fluctuation, but I don't think you should worry about it. I suspect your body is recomping and your muscles are changing based on the weight you are moving around.

ShockBoxer
02-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Still a little pink at the very top but it was quickly 're-callused' the first chest day after it happened. Now I sand them down with some 180 grade paper so I have thick pads of tough skin at the base of my fingers but no bulging calluses.

Yeah, I'm done worrying about it. I'll eat below maintenance as often as possible and let whatever happens, happens. I'm sure the law of thermodynamics will prevail in the end. I'll only fret about it if my lifts start to suffer with nothing to show for it.

Loving my dead increases. Hope this new grip holds out for at least a hundred pounds of gains. I really want to pull 320 @ 160. 200% bodyweight would be bad-ass for an ex-couch potato.

KevinStarke
02-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Deadlifts are defintielly commin along. Sandpaper hands for the win.

ShockBoxer
02-16-2006, 12:00 PM
I wonder if I can hit 300 lb by week 52? That would be a sweet year one target.

... Damn I need to get down to less than 15% so I can start bulking.

ShockBoxer
02-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Week 30, Day 4

Cut week 3

Pre-WO weight: 163

ATF Squats
8 x 45
3 x 135
6 x 155
6 x 165

SLDL
6 x 135
8 x 210
8 x 210

Hack Squats
6 x 210
6 x 210

Hamstring Curl Machine:
10 x 50 (One leg)
10 x 50 (Other leg)
8 x 130

Squat, Hacks, SLDL all up. Weight not down.

Calipers of Ddoooooom:

20 mm x 4 measures.

ShockBoxer
02-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Week 30, Day 7

Cut Week 3

Pre-WO: 161.5

Standing Military Press
30 x 10
80 x 6

Didn't like the form on that one.

Push Press
8 x 80
8 x 90

Standing Dumbell Lat Side Raises
10 x 20s
10 x 20s

10 x 45
6 x 115
6 x 115

Lost strength here. Or I'm going deeper. One of the two.

Skullcrushers (Dumbell)
10 x 10s
6 x 25s
6 x 25s

Chin Ups
8 x BW
8 x BW

Hammer Curls
6 x 30s
6 x 30s

Post WO Caliper:
20 mm

Arms and shoulders are still my worst group.

ShockBoxer
02-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Week 31, Day Two

Cut Week 4

Pre-WO Weight: 162.5

Dumbell Flat Benchpress
10 x 10s
3 x 20s
3 x 30s
3 x 40s
3 x 50s
6 x 60s
6 x 60s

Deadlift
8 x 135
3 x 205
4 x 245 PR
4 x 245 Grip failed

From the depths of hell, I curse thee, pansy grip.

Bent Over Rows
6 x 140 (Overhand)
8 x 140 (underhand)

Barbell Shrugs
10 x 135
10 x 205
10 x 225

Dips
8 x BW + 30 Db
6 x BW + 30 Db

Pull Ups
6 x BW
5 x BW

Post Calipers of Doom: 19 MM x 3 reads

ShockBoxer
02-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Week 31, Day Four

Cut Week Four

Pre-Workout: 162.5

ATF Squats
45 x 12
135 x 4
155 x 3
170 x 6
170 x 6

SLDL
215 x 6
215 x 6

Hack Squats
215 x 6
215 x 8

Hamstring Curls
140 x 6
140 x 6

Hanging Knee Raises
10 rep x 2 sets

Post W/O Calipers of DoooOOooooom: 19 mm x 5 reads

ShockBoxer
02-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Week 31, Day 6

Cut Week 4

Pre WO Weight: 161

Standing Military Press
85 x 4 didn't like the form
75 x 6 as above

Push Press
95 x 8
100 x 8

Close Grip Flat Bench
45 x 10
95 x 3
115 x 3
120 x 6
120 x 6

Close Grip Board Press
45 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 8
185 x 7

Wide Grip Board Press
135 x 10
185 x 10
185 x 7

Barbell Curls
8 x 40
5 x 70 fail
8 x 60 but had to cheat on the last rep

Haven't done them in months but damn... those numbers blow. I know back in November I did 12 x 60.

Neutral Grip Chin Ups
2 sets of 10

Obligatory Calipers: 19 mm

ShockBoxer
02-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Week 32, Day One

Cut Week 5

Pre-Weight: 163. Whee. At least I'm seeing a little difference through my back and arms. Hopefully recomposition is proceeding nicely.

Flat Dumbell Bench Press
20s x 10
30s x 4
40s x 3
50s x 3
60s x 6
60s x 6

Smashed my hip with a 60lb DB trying to put the DB down after the last rep. Sucked, but could have been a lot worse if it came down more to the right.

Deadlift
135 x 6
205 x 4
250 x 4
250 x 4

Grip remained solid. Yes!

Bent Over BB Rows
155 x 6 (Overhand)
155 x 6 (Underhand)

Too heavy. Form blew. Should have done 150.

Barbell Shrugs
135 x 10
205 x 10
245 x 10
265 x 8

Incline DB Bench Press
30 x 8
40 x 3
50 x 6
50 x 6

Weighted Dips
BW + 35 x 6
BW + 35 x 6

Pull Ups
BW x 6
BW x 8
BW x 7

Post Calipers of WTF: 16mm x 5 readings

ShockBoxer
02-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Ha ha... my chest deflated. I woke up this morning and I'm flat as a board. Practically no more man-boob flab there at all. I'm not going to pretend to understand how that works.

Kiaran
03-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Nice work with the progress, shock. You seem to be on a roll, keep the sessions coming! Nice Deadlifts btw. Glad to hear the grip isn't giving you as much grief.

ShockBoxer
03-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah, it's weird. I get stronger when cutting during my lengthy recomp first phase. I don't know what happened to my grip... it went from dying hardcore at 240 to repping 265 on shrugs. I'm not complaining, though, as long as it can keep it up.

ShockBoxer
03-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Week 32, Day Three

Cut Week 5

Pre-WO Weight: 160.5

ATF Squat
45 x 8
115 x 4
165 x 3
175 x 6
175 x 6

SLDL
135 x 6
205 x 4
220 x 6
220 x 6

Hack Squats
220 x 6
220 x 7

Short session today.. but I got the good stuff in.

Post Calipers of Doom: 14 mm x 4 reads

ShockBoxer
03-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Week 33, Day One

Yeah, I suck. I missed yet another arm day. I really, really have to stop doing that.

Cut Week 6 already... woo... was going to reset this week but screw it. Nothing's happening anyways except definition. Pressing onwards.

Pre WO Weight: 161.5

Flat Dumbell Bench Press (5x5 style, 30 sec rests) (heavy)
30s x 4
40s x 4
50s x 5
50s x 5
50s x 5
50s x 5
50s x 8

Uh. Guess I should have used more weight? I can only do 60s x 6 so I thought 50s would nuke me with little rest. Oh well. Next week.

Foo-Foo LifeFitness Machine Pec Flies (light)
85 x 15
130 x 15
130 x 12

Stab one at putting Powerman's idea into action. The pump felt good (and looked good). God knows what those numbers mean.

Deadlift (heavy)
135 x 6
225 x 4
255 x 4
260 x 1 --- Uh, yeah. I felt like that Diesel Weasel vid. I'm sure I humped the bar a little getting to a ****ty lockout. 255 felt good on the grip so I got greedy.
255 x 2 -- and paid for it

Bent Over Rows (heavy)
165 x 6
165 x 5
145 x 8

Hah. I thought I was doing 150. My brain died and somehow figured 45+45+10+10+5+5+Oly Bar = 150. No wonder my form was ****.

Shrugs (light)
135 x 15 Double Over
205 x 12 Right Under
255 x 8 Left Under

Dumbell Incline Bench Press (light)

Weighted Dips (heavy)
BW+30 x 7
BW+30 x 5

Pull Ups
BW x 10
BW x 9

I feel sore. Very sore. And huge. Everything feels like it's going to burst from my skin. Teh Pump is interesting.

Post Calipers of WTF: 14mm x 5 reads

ShockBoxer
03-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Week 33, Day Two

Oooooh.... arrrgh.... MOTHER****ING OW! I'd say I can't feel my upper body... but it's ALL I can feel.

15 hours later and my muscles are STILL a lot bigger than they normally are. I'm loving this approach (outlined in PowerManDL's hypertrophy primer thread) so far if this is the result.

ShockBoxer
03-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Week 33 Day Three

Cut Week 6

Pre WO Weight: 163

ATF Squats

8 x 45
4 x 135
4 x 155
6 x 175
6 x 175
15 x 95
15 x 95

SLDL
6 x 135
4 x 205
4 x 225
4 x 225

Hack Squats
6 x 225
6 x 225

Grip issue once again.

Hamstring Curl
12 x 100
12 x 100

Haven't been hitting my calves directly lately but they've been pretty taxed by everything else. They certainly haven't shrunk.

Post Calipers:
14 mm x 5 reads

Useless trivia of the day... since I've started my appendix scar has moved a LOT.

Kiaran
03-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Nice lookin' workouts, Shock. I wouldn't worry about missing an Arms day. Worry if you start missing your Legs day for an Arms day :) Getting stronger everytime I stop by, bro.

ShockBoxer
03-10-2006, 05:11 PM
That's all I care about, really. I can't wait until I have a decently low enough body fat to take a picture and then bulk for a month.

You're a beast yourself. Just a little taller than me, about the same weight, and your numbers are HUGE. Makes me think I can make it I keep up with my lifting.

ShockBoxer
03-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Repost from David's thread. Good to keep my measurements handy for when I falter (since the scale doesn't like to move on my cuts).

Ok, here's everything cold as ice. Like I thought... similar to David's.

My measurements are (November 30th in the brackets):
Chest - 42 (40)
Arms - 14.5 (14)
Forearms - 11.5 (11)
Waist - 34 (33... oookay? But I can fit into pants I couldn't in Nov?)
Legs - 24.75 (22)
Calves 15 (15)

My wrist circumference is 6.75 inches

My weight hasn't changed since then. Still fluctuating between 161 and 164. Maintained on 2400 all December, tried to bulk on 3000 in January (failed after slapping on 4 pounds of water weight), have been cutting on 2100 since.

ShockBoxer
03-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Week 33, Day 6

Cut Week 6

Pre-WO Weight: 163

Standing Military Press (5x5)
10 x 45
4 x 55
4 x 65
5 x 70
5 x 70
5 x 75
5 x 75
5 x 75

Push Press (3x8)
8 x 80
8 x 80
8 x 80

Close Grip Bench Press
10 x 45
4 x 95
4 x 105
4 x 115
5 x 125
4 x 127.5

Meh.

Rack Press (2 inch ROM, top) Close Grip
10 x 135
8 x 205

Rack Press (1 inch ROM, top) Wide Grip
10 x 135
12 x 205
8 x 215

Did those for launch strength but felt them in my tris and shoulders a bit. Whatever it was working couldn't take any more of it.

Dumbell Skull Crushers
10 x 15s
8 x 25s
8 x 25s
15 x 15s
10 x 20s

Chin Ups
12 x BW Getting to my goal of 20 x BW slowly but surely
10 x BW

Hammer Curls
8 x 30s
7 x 30s
12 x 20s

Barbell Curls
12 x 50

100 Meter Dash x 2

Three laps around part of a parking lot (guessing about 250 meters a lap)

Gasp. Wheeze. Choke. Die.

****ing cardio machines. This is why I hate them so. I can run 20 minutes on an eliptical with a HR of 160+ but three laps around part of a parking lot and I'm dead. Of course, I did do it at the end of an hour long workout.

Post Calipers of Daffy Duckness: 14mm

ShockBoxer
03-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Week 34, Day 1

Cut Week 7

Triceps are still on fire from Saturday's workout. For that matter I have a line of fire running up my shin if I raise my toes and my innermost leg/hip muscles around my groin are still feeling the push presses (despite the relatively light weight I used).

Feeling pretty good, though. I think mixing low rep sets with high reps sets is working for me.

ShockBoxer
03-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Week 34, Day 3

Cut Week 7

Pre-WO Weight: 161

Flat Barbell Bench Press
45 x 10
115 x 4
125 x 3
135 x 3
145 x 3
165 x 6 PR
170 x 6 Barely

Deadlift
135 x 4
260 x 4 Smooth and a PR
260 x 4 Less smooth but solid enough for me

Bent Over BB Rows
135 x 12
135 x 8
135 x 6

Dumbell Incline Press
25s x 10
40s x 15
40s x 14.5

Barbell Front Shrugs
135 x 12
225 x 8
275 x 5
225 x 10
135 x 15

Weighted Dips
BW + 30 x 10
BW + 30 x 8

Pull Ups
8 x BW
7 x BW

Post WO Calipers: 14 mm x a bunch

ShockBoxer
03-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Week 34 Day 6

Not missing a freaking leg day, no matter what life throws at me.

Pre WO Weight: 158

Pseudo-Full Body to make up for slacking

ATF Squats
45 x 10
135 x 6
155 x 4
175 x 6
175 x 4

Too heavy today. Last reps felt more like good mornings. I really need to sort my squat **** out.

SLDL
135 x 6
225 x 6
225 x 6

Hack Squats
230 x 5 - Grip felt funny. Bad set.
230 x 6

Standing Military Press
45 x 10
65 x 8
70 x 8
75 x 6
75 x 8 (last two reps quad assisted)

Happier with my form. Pride kept me at 80 with **** form all these months. It will go up.

Push Press
85 x 10
85 x 10

Dumbell Lateral Side Raises
15s x 15

Dumbell Skullcrushers
20s x 15
25s x 8
25s x 8
20s x 15

Chin Ups
BW x 15 - Twenty on a fresh set is so close I can taste it
BW x 12

Barbell Curl
70 x 8
70 x 8

I'm letting my ego get in the way of form too often. Have to reign it in again.

ShockBoxer
03-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Week 35, Day Two

Cut Week 8 (not that you'd know it by weight loss)

Pre-Wo: 162 again. Must have been seriously dehydrated Sat to pull a 158.

Dumbell Flat Bench Press (5x5)
5 x 30s
5 x 40s
5 x 50s
5 x 60s
5 x 60s
5 x 60s
5 x 60s
3 x 60s

So close, and yet so far.

Deadlift
6 x 115
4 x 265
4 x 265

Want 300. Will get 300.

Dumbell Bent Over Rows
10 x 40s
8 x 50s
8 x 60s
8 x 60s

Much better range of motion with these over the barbell. Actually felt my lats instead of my traps.

Dumbell Incline Bench Press
12 x 45s
10 x 45s

Dumbell Shrugs
15 x 80s
1 x 90s
10 x 80s

Also tried 100s in there. Hah. At least I could stand up with them, thanks to hack squat numbers above 200. Looks like the barwork has done me no favors here... I think I could do 80s since... I started? That's odd because my traps have been one of the most noticeable difference in my appearance. My right trap is much weaker... could be because it's my 'overhand' hand for mixed grip heavy shrugs?

Dumbell Weighted Dips
8 x 30
5.5 x 30

Pull Ups
8 x BW
7 x BW

Post Calipers: 14 mm.

ShockBoxer
03-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Week 35, Day Four

Cut Week 8

Pre-WO: 158.

ATF Squats (5x5)
5 x 45
5 x 135
5 x 165
5 x 165
5 x 165
5 x 165
5 x 165

Good. Stable for the most part. No knee sheer, less 'good morning' factor.

SLDL
6 x 135
4 x 230
4 x 230

Used a right underhand grip to address a strength imbalance I noticed doing DB shrugs. Was heavy as hell.

Hack Squats
3 x 230 right under
4 x 230 left under

Fell apart here. Ripped a callus off, which never helps concentration. The left side of the bar came up faster than the right which totally owned the right side grip no matter which way I held it.

Leg Curl Machine
12 x '130'
12 x '140'

Standing Calf Raise Machine (haven't used it forever)
20 x '600'
20 x '600'
15 x '600'

It only goes to '600' whatever 600 is supposed to be.

Feel it a bit in my calves. I just didn't feel like loading the leg press with my right hand torn up (wussy!).

Hang From a Bar For as Long as You Can
1 x about 50 seconds

Yada yada Calipers: 14 mm