PDA

View Full Version : Finger pain with heavy weights... Gloves bad?

Supreme Allah
07-26-2005, 12:18 AM
I've read a lot of people advising not to use gloves for various reasons, but most seem to be macho BS. Is there an actual benefit to not using gloves when lifting? It seems I can move slightly more weight a lot more comfortably, and I don't see how gloves would diminish the building of muscles or strength per se.

I've been lifting heavier and heavier weights over the past few months and the pain in my fingers has approached discomfort especially during deadlifts. Today after deadlifts my fingers in my left hand were numb and the skin was peeled off a little in the fleshy spots (I use a bar that's got texture in the middle rather than a smooth bar). It's been a few hours and my middle finger is still pretty sore, I'm slightly concerned one of these days of nerve damage or something ridiculous - not to be a hypochondriac.

Sooo please advise - are gloves bad for any real physiological reason?

Sensei
07-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Here's the deal w. gloves and it's not macho BS: Gloves increase the circumference you have to hold onto. Also, the bar and material of the glove will shift as you try to hold onto it.

Seriously, get chalk.

MixmasterNash
07-26-2005, 12:48 AM
But Sensei, his hands will get all white and dirty!

DNL
07-26-2005, 12:54 AM
so in some way, it would also depend on the size of your hands?. I use gloves when i DL. May be my poundage isn't high enough to experience a significant difference. My grip is still very tight, but this could be because my gloves are worn out.

jack_of_all
07-26-2005, 07:07 AM
yeh, gloves make the bar harder to grip and they make it so if you try to move anything in real life without gloves your in for a very painful awakening. when you say finger pain do you mean its down in the joint?

drew
07-26-2005, 07:16 AM
Gloves suck.

dissipate
07-26-2005, 07:30 AM
if it's a problem with your grip not being strong enough, how about working on strengthening it?

b_sinning
07-26-2005, 07:34 AM
I have big calluses from lifting especially around my wedding ring. I'm not sure I can even get it off now. I bet my wife loves that. I may start wearing gloves for my heaviest lifts just to minimize them some.

rbcjoker
07-26-2005, 07:49 AM
When I don't wear gloves my hands get rough and calloused. When I wear gloves, my hands stay soft and normal. My girlfriend likes my hands soft and normal. The decision for me is easy ;)

MixmasterNash
07-26-2005, 07:50 AM
I have big calluses from lifting especially around my wedding ring. I'm not sure I can even get it off now. I bet my wife loves that. I may start wearing gloves for my heaviest lifts just to minimize them some.

Sorry bud, but gloves cause way more calluses than they prevent.

What you're experiencing is lack of proper hand care. I deadlift a reasonable amount and do a lot of grip work AND rock climb and I have virtually no significantly callouses. I use chalk or chalk substitute for gripping and nothing else, really. The few times I used straps, they created significant calluses, and when I wore gloves for activities like biking, they also caused calluses. Why? Because the material adds an extra layer of slippage and will bunch up, particularly around the callus prone areas.

What can you do? Lift without gloves or straps. Use chalk to keep things dry. Keep hands moisturized at all times outside of the gym. Clip or file calluses after a shower or long soak.

As for the solution to the wedding ring, well, I won't go there. :D

MixmasterNash
07-26-2005, 07:51 AM
When I don't wear gloves my hands get rough and calloused. When I wear gloves, my hands stay soft and normal. My girlfriend likes my hands soft and normal. The decision for me is easy ;)

I hear you. It's a pain to keep replacing girlfriends though. I recommend proper hand care.

drew
07-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Chicks dig my callouses.

CiteCollegiale
07-26-2005, 08:24 AM
leather hands here dont need gloves =)

Max-Mex
07-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Sorry bud, but gloves cause way more calluses than they prevent.

What you're experiencing is lack of proper hand care. I deadlift a reasonable amount and do a lot of grip work AND rock climb and I have virtually no significantly callouses. I use chalk or chalk substitute for gripping and nothing else, really. The few times I used straps, they created significant calluses, and when I wore gloves for activities like biking, they also caused calluses. Why? Because the material adds an extra layer of slippage and will bunch up, particularly around the callus prone areas.

What can you do? Lift without gloves or straps. Use chalk to keep things dry. Keep hands moisturized at all times outside of the gym. Clip or file calluses after a shower or long soak.

As for the solution to the wedding ring, well, I won't go there. :D

I've lost count as to how many times you've post this same info Mix. With that being said, it is great advice. Cutting down the callouses and using lots of hand lotion will help a TREMENDOUS amount.

As far as finger pain goes, be sure it's not joint/tendon pain as continued lifting won't let it heal or make it worse.

MixmasterNash
07-26-2005, 10:52 AM
As far as finger pain goes, be sure it's not joint/tendon pain as continued lifting won't let it heal or make it worse.

Good point. Calluses are a common cause of pressure point pain, but be sure it's not what Max mentions. If it's merely texture related pain, be happy and watch you hands adapt over time.

ElPietro
07-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Gloves decrease grip strength. Gloves with heavy weight can increase finger pain. Gloves have seams, and also, when you have a ton of weight crushing the edging of the glove for each finger into your finger, that will hurt a hell of a lot more than anything caused by not wearing gloves.

You can take care of your hands and keep them soft, and rough parts can be filed off if need be.

So unless you are a handmodel, there isn't actually any reason to wear gloves, and a few good reasons why you shouldn't.

b_sinning
07-26-2005, 12:28 PM
I've lost count as to how many times you've post this same info Mix. With that being said, it is great advice. Cutting down the callouses and using lots of hand lotion will help a TREMENDOUS amount.

So that's why you have hand lotion all around you house. Sure.... ;)

DNL
07-26-2005, 12:36 PM
I hear you. It's a pain to keep replacing girlfriends though. I recommend proper hand care.

hahahahah

thetopdog
07-26-2005, 05:51 PM
I use gloves for everything except deads and maybe shrugs. I can't see a real disadvantage of using gloves outside of exercises where you have to hold on to an extremely heavy weight

Canadian Crippler
07-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Why use them at all?

Supreme Allah
07-26-2005, 09:58 PM
yeh, gloves make the bar harder to grip and they make it so if you try to move anything in real life without gloves your in for a very painful awakening. when you say finger pain do you mean its down in the joint?

Well it's hard to say, my left hands middle and ring fingers are still sore a little even now about 22 hours after DL's. It's sore mainly in, if you look at your hand, the last segment closest to the palm. Feels like they are bruised but look normal

Just to clarify for some people in this thread, I don't care about callouses or shredding the skin so much as I worry I might touch off a nerve or do some serious damage to the joints or something.. my hands feel like pulp after DLs and it's hard to even open them sometimes. It could be similar to how most people get sore wrists until they build up, but I don't really ever see much about 'finger problems'

This might seem whiney but it's not like I'm saying I want to stop, I just wanted to know if there was a reason not to try gloves and, based on the responses I think I'll try them myself anyway just b/c it seems like a preference thing.

Sensei
07-26-2005, 10:45 PM
This might seem whiney but it's not like I'm saying I want to stop, I just wanted to know if there was a reason not to try gloves and, based on the responses I think I'll try them myself anyway just b/c it seems like a preference thing.

So much for logic... I tried.

thetopdog
07-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Why use them at all?

Why not? For me, it helps me focus on the weight I'm lifting, instead of focusing on my hands. I used to pinch the skin on my hands occasionally with some exercises. I guess I'm just used to them and there's no real reason not to use them apart from deads and shrugs so I don't see why not

Max-Mex
07-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Well it's hard to say, my left hands middle and ring fingers are still sore a little even now about 22 hours after DL's. It's sore mainly in, if you look at your hand, the last segment closest to the palm. Feels like they are bruised but look normal

Tendon injury. I got the same thing from rock climbing. Mostly on the ring finger but some on the middle finger, both in the exact same spot. I had to stop DL'ing and rock climbing for a while to let it heal. I couldn't even do any back lifts. I was able to do pressing lifts but even then, the pressure of the bars/db's caused some pain.

Supreme Allah
07-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Tendon injury. I got the same thing from rock climbing. Mostly on the ring finger but some on the middle finger, both in the exact same spot. I had to stop DL'ing and rock climbing for a while to let it heal. I couldn't even do any back lifts. I was able to do pressing lifts but even then, the pressure of the bars/db's caused some pain.

Out of curiosity, how long did you give it to heal?

Guido
07-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Heh. My wife gets all queasy using chalk. Reminds her of nails on a chalkboard. Is there anything she could use that would have the same effect but wouldn't make her all squeamish?

BTW, I used to use gloves all the time. I hate them now.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-27-2005, 10:21 PM
I only use gloves on a few exercises where my skin is pinched. I use them for lat pull-downs, as an example. But for 99% of the exercises I do, I use bare hands.

arya202
05-25-2006, 07:39 PM
REAAAAALLY OLD BUMP

But where do I get chalk for weightlifting?

Focused70
05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
At your stage of lifting, you don't need to worry about it.

arya202
05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
At your stage of lifting, you don't need to worry about it.

Hey how'd you know I was a newbie?

Sensei
05-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Hey how'd you know I was a newbie?
Because if you weren't a newbie, you'd know where to get chalk...