PDA

View Full Version : low sodium/salt diet

sicko281
07-26-2005, 12:46 AM
I have been on a very low sodium/salt diet for 2-3 months like under 50-100 mg. I also drink 6-7 liters of water . I suspect that this low sodium/salt is kicking me back. Whenever I substitute my oats (no sodium) with high sodium cereal (fiber cereal around 1.2 g per 100 grams) i feel much more energised and my veins popp out. I also think my blood circulation ****s up because of very low sodium levels. Is there any corelation between blood circulation and very low sodium level? Are there any side effects? thanks

Shall i increase my sodium to around 1 gram per day ?(I am cutting, 8-9% fat)

Built
07-26-2005, 12:49 AM
Why have you been on a low sodium diet?

Unless you have some sort of health problem that precludes consuming sodium, it's actually got anabolic properties. I add extra salt to my food, especially when I'm cutting.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-26-2005, 01:48 AM
If you're drinking a lot of water and barely getting any salt, you're going to mess with your electrolyte levels which can be very harmful to your health. You may be using/absorbing little of the water you're drinking if you're consuming hardly any sodium in your diet.
Sodium is required for all the cells in your body to 'regulate the electric charge and flow of water molecules across the cell membrane'.

Point is, you need more sodium, unless a doctor specifically tells you to cut back (going back to what Built said).

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 06:44 AM
I have borderline high blood pressure and chloresteral. The doctor said to ease back on saturated fats but I can't remember if they said anything about sodium?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-26-2005, 06:46 PM
You have health problems and you forgot what the doctor said? That's not good.

Built
07-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Sodium won't impact your cholesterol. Blood lipids usually settle down as you drop body fat. Mine sure did!

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 07:45 PM
You have health problems and you forgot what the doctor said? That's not good.

I have a lot of health problems. It's hard to keep score.

Anyways, I looked it up and it's the high blood pressure risk (it runs in my family) that has me watching sodium intake. I try to watch saturated fats for chloresterol as well... but up until recently mostly I watched them come in and make themselves at home. I don't want to know what my arteries must look like after a decade of living off fast food.

Built, I hope you're right about the lipids settling down and behaving themselves if I keep it up. It's a small part of the reason I've decided to train. Maybe the damage isn't irreversable yet (though with relapses like tonight ...).

Built
07-26-2005, 07:53 PM
By the time I was 33, my cholesterol was high enough to medicate. Now it's enviably low. And I didn't reduce my saturated fats to achieve this.

Age 33: 6.00 mmol/L (232 mg/dL) (Jogging, low-fat diet, 146 lbs)
Age 41: 3.56 mmol/L (138 mg/dL) (Weightlifting, high protein, moderate fat and controlled carbohydrate diet, 141 lbs)

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Hmm. I think I just found a goal. I think I'll consider the enhanced strength and physique very delightful perks.