PDA

View Full Version : Tips for eating at the office?

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 07:00 AM
I'm out of my apartment from 8 am to 6 pm. 8 pm if I decide to hit the gym before going home (I'm thinking that will change. I'll go to the gym at 7 and give myself an hour at home to eat.)

So as you can see if I swore off eating after 8 pm I'd starve to death.

I know I'm supposed to consume the bulk of my daily calories during the afternoon. I hit McDonalds WAY too often for a six pack of nuggets and some sliced apple and as tasty as that is it can't be all that hot for me (though it's probably the best choice on the menu, protein to fat ratio wise).

I need help coming up with a diet of dried or cold meals that can be scarfed during coffee and lunch breaks. I have access to a battered old fridge that always smells like something died in it in the staff room.

Fitday seems to think my daily maintenance is 2600. I usually eat 1000 or more less than that because of a lack of food while I work. I'd like to see 2000 to 2400 in a day for now.

drew
07-26-2005, 07:15 AM
Sandwiches dude. PB, Tuna, Turkey. Pack yourself 4 or 5 for the day and eat one every 2 hours, including on eon the drive home. I also like to eat yogurt and nuts during the day. Beef jerkey is a decent option if you don't have a sodium issue.

Nuts
07-26-2005, 07:30 AM
Cottage Cheese
Tuna mixed with a small tablespoon of reduced fat mayo and some relish.
Natural Peanut Butter for an afternoon pick me up
Protein shake
Bananas

The options are endless, but this is what I eat during the day and it does well.

Ricochet_kid
07-26-2005, 07:30 AM
I hit McDonalds WAY too often for a six pack of nuggets and some sliced apple and as tasty as that is it can't be all that hot for me (though it's probably the best choice on the menu, protein to fat ratio wise).

http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal?process=item&itemID=10079

Ricochet_kid
07-26-2005, 07:33 AM
I think this might be the best protein/fat ratio at McD's. I just looked quickly though.

Chicken McGrill:
http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal?process=item&itemID=5967

GimpFace
07-26-2005, 07:35 AM
I have a long working day office job too bud. Sucks and makes it hard to eat clean (harder then when I worked on building sites anyway).

Drew has good advice.
I take this everyday to work with me everyday and eat it when I can, so long as I space it out and dont leave it all till the end its all good:

- 2 breakfast bars (5gs of protein each)
- 2 cuppa soups (couple of gs of protein in each one and minimal fat) these are good because they can be drank at your desk instead of coffee.
- 1 LARGE tuna salad with 2 cans of tuna (there is 50gs of Protein, mmmm)
- 2 bananas
- 2 apples

If that is not enough try swapping the breakfast bars for Protein bars - more expensive but have more cals...

I can keep all this stuff in my desk drawer for handy eating when I get chance, generally I save a banana for the drive to the gym at the end of the day.

For info I knock back a Protein shake first thing, then right after my training session (with some creatine). Then comes dinner, maybe a snack then bed.

I thought this was a lot before getting educated (here) but it seems this is a cutting diet. I will let you know how I manage to cram more in on a bulk in a few weeks (probably follow my own advice on the protein bars & add an extra can of Tuna to my salad)...

.maximum.
07-26-2005, 07:46 AM
I always bring in hard boiled eggs, eating the whites only, along with PB sandwiches, cans of tuna, and sometimes protein bars.

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 07:58 AM
Yeah, nice catch on the McDs. The grilled McChicken has as much fat but twice the carbs and protein. For that matter a basic 'just give me a burger' is 9f/33c/13p and is cheaper than the 15f/15c/15p nuggets for the same serving size. Since I'm nearly a thousand under maintenance on a regular day I officially say 'screw counting carbs' for now.

Still not a good idea to hit McD every day. Way too much sodium (though I don't know how much I have in the rest of my diet).

Sandwiches I think I can handle. I was avoiding them because of the carbs in the bread but screw that. I want to EAT.

Nice suggestions all around... keep 'em coming. :)

b_sinning
07-26-2005, 08:01 AM
I always pack fruit, trail mix, and sandwhiches with me when I go to work.

GimpFace
07-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Whats with the McD's?

I had always been under the assumption that although fast food has lots of cals - its still bad for you, not just the sodium but the grease content etc etc..

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Cornered the market. The only other place to grab food during a half hour lunch (yeah, half hour. I don't have a car and I wouldn't bring one anyways with the price of gas and the brutal parking fees downtown) is a donut shop. If I had an hour I could reach a Subway, Machu Wok (almost as bad as McD probably), and sushi bar.

That said I'll be making some sandwiches and bringing some fruits, vegtables, and nuts. Screw McD.

The grease content is saturated fats, including the evil buzzword of the year "trans-fat". They're, from what I understand, not the 'clean' fat intake I should be striving for.

wrestlemaniac
07-26-2005, 09:32 AM
I think this might be the best protein/fat ratio at McD's. I just looked quickly though.

Chicken McGrill:
http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal?process=item&itemID=5967

good find. I unchecked the Mayo (since I don't like it) and the calories already have dropped by 100. WOW! I knew mayo was high fat but I wasn't expecting a it to be THAT bad. A little mayo is like the same as an entire can of protien. Just goes to show you.

as far as eating at work, just pack a lunch. If your work doesn't allow you to bring food with you then you are probably making Nike sneakers.

GimpFace
07-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Man I hate it when there is no decent food nearby - thats what made me into the Tuna Salad making machine I am today.

Place I used to work had a McDs, Pizza Hut and a KFC and a petrol station. Thats it nothing else within the time allowed for lunch.

Trans Fat!? !?

RickTheDestroyer
07-26-2005, 09:40 AM
It's pretty easy...
1. Go get cottage cheese out of company fridge at 10:30.
2. Sit down at desk.
3. Eat cottage cheese.
4. Bring huge lunch- eat 1/2 - 2/3 of it at 12:30-1.
5. Eat remainder of huge lunch at desk at 3:30.
6. Eat a couple low-fat string cheeses on the way to pick up girlfriend/drive home (if you're smart enough to remember to pack them, otherwise be STARVING when you get home).

Drink a shake right before you leave for work and right when you get home.
I really do think the trick is to pack a really large lunch that consists of several separate things, and to just eat pieces of it throughout the day.

I guess most jobs might not be as flexible/low-key as mine...

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 10:16 AM
Got it. Bring as much food to the office as the rest of the 'always falling off their diet' staff combined. They already watch me devour everything in sight enviously whenever the boss buys pizza or chinese or thai.

I'm going to go look for some protein shake mix tonight after work probably. I'm wary of whey because whole wheat bread really doesn't agree with my body. Think that will be a problem with whey? Are there any alternates I should keep my eye out for?

Ricochet_kid
07-26-2005, 10:35 AM
whole wheat bread really doesn't agree with my body. Think that will be a problem with whey? Are there any alternates I should keep my eye out for?

whey is a milk product, not a wheat product.
Checkitout: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+whey&meta=

If you're looking for an alternative to whole wheat bread though, you can get some tasty wraps that come in a nice resealable ziploc bag that you can keep in your desk drawer, or filing cabinet. (I do this) Then each day you only need to bring the filling(s) for lunch instead of hauling the wraps in each day.

I like to fill it with no-fat hummus (easy to make) or you can add fat (olive oil) if you like. You can put chopped lettuce/spinach/julienned carrots, shrimp (20 Pacific white shrimp = 16g protein and they taste fabulous.) a bit of hot-sauce, cherry tomatoes. Or some chicken (canned even), or steak. Go CRAZY! :evillaugh

ryan-
07-26-2005, 10:36 AM
You seem to have some good suggestions to go on, but I'll throw mine in too.

Breakfast: shake (milk, pb, whey, oats), yogurt when i get to work
10:30: cottage cheese
lunch: 2 turkey sandwiches on wheat, some side, whether it be apple sauce or what not, milk (I just started taking a gallon of milk to work with me)
3:30: nuts or cottage cheese ( or leftovers from lunch)

Take advantage of having a fridge at work.

CarlP
07-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Shakes and sandwiches.

fhornhead
07-26-2005, 11:44 AM
-Natures Own Healthline Wheat Bread with double fiber (5g a slice)- 40 calories per sclice
-Oscar Mayer deli sliced turkey/roast beef/ham- 50 calories per serving
-Fat Free Cheese slice-40 calories
-Light Mayo (1 tblsp) 30 calories

damn good! 200 calories measurable! easy to make in advance and store in coolers or office fridge etc! even fewer calories of you use mustard instead of mayo! High Fiber! Low Fat!

HILL
07-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Make you own protein bars. the ones i make have about 500 cals/30p/40c/22f couldnt be better if your bulking im guna miss them when i get into cutting.

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Had someone grab me some cottage cheese because they like to hit a grocery store on their lunch break (car).

First time I've ever had it. People wandering by went 'is that yogurt? cottage cheese? oh... yuck!'.

I hope it's an aquired taste. The texture made me wince every time I put some in my mouth.

Sandwiches are looking pretty good right now.

Nuts
07-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Shock, try salt and pepper on the cottage cheese, it makes a world of difference.

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Salt? It's already got something like 600 mg per cup. Still, I can see how that would help.

My first desperate thought was 'chocolate sauce' :D

Or celery. Or an apple. Anything with a crunch or a strong taste..

Wealth of info here... one thing is for sure: I have to either get up earlier or make a lunch the night before.

Nuts
07-26-2005, 01:45 PM
The pepper is more important actually, it adds a nice flavor.

Chocolate sauce would be.....errr.....unique. :)

It takes me 10-15 minutes to make my meals for the day. That may or may not include boiling eggs.

Unreal
07-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Splenda and cinnamon in cottage cheese rocks.

YungLifter
07-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Cottage cheese is good even on its own but you have to have the right brand. For me the only cottage cheese I can eat by itself is Friendships theirs just owns.

Ricochet_kid
07-26-2005, 06:49 PM
I always have about a cup of cottage cheese with a cup to 2 cups of chopped up pineapples, and honeydew, and cantaloupe. I can't stand cottage cheese by itself, or even with S&P, but with the fruits it's great. I actually look forward to it.

Ricochet_kid
07-26-2005, 07:02 PM
More cottage cheese goodness:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=23069

ShockBoxer
07-26-2005, 08:08 PM
I was looking through the recipe forum for cottage cheese goodness. Thanks. :)

It's not the taste... once I get it in my mouth I can roll it around, chew it, whatever... it's the texture. Adding some sort of power to mop up some excess moisture sounds like a good plan.

Naab
07-27-2005, 10:26 AM
I buy cottage cheese in large containers and also bought a few 250ml 1cup containers so i could carry it with ease.

tupperware becomes your best friend, so invest in some and keep it clean.

baggies for sandwhiches and cut up vegies/fruit/trail mix/nuts are also important.

if you have a fridge at work, there is no excuse.

really it comes down to planning ahead of time and taking the time to cook things in advance

ShockBoxer
07-27-2005, 10:52 AM
I brought three sandwiches and a cup of cottage cheese to work today. I found an irritation... not enough space in the fridge. Filled with junk that nobody in the office eats or even probably wants (unless I throw something out... I'm sure that would get a 'who threw my sour cream out? The one that has an expiry date from two months ago and is still sealed?').

I crammed a bunch of said crap into other spaces to make room.

adotson
07-27-2005, 12:30 PM
The fridge space is always an issue. We have one standard size fridge in the office for about 150 people. But every friday we have an admin that clears all that isn't clearly identified or dated currently (or in my case she just knows what food is mine since I have taken over one of the vegi drawers).

WILLGETNICE
07-27-2005, 12:36 PM
I have a crazy busy schedule myself. 9 out of 10 times I have VERY little time to eat, my recommendations would be MRP's, protein bars, fruit either in a tupperware or banans or apples, and the main one: cooking meals ahead of time and packing them - not as satisfying as having it fresh off the stove, but they do the trick and you get all the nutrients you need.