PDA

View Full Version : General questions about HIIT and cardio

fixationdarknes
07-26-2005, 10:50 PM
1. After my HIIT session today, I had cramps in both sides of my stomach. Could this have anything to do with the fact that I ate my carbs and protein about 30 minutes before my HIIT session? When should I have my pre-cardio carbs and protein?

2. After my HIIT sessions, I usually have trouble walking for a few minutes, have to take quick and short breaths for a few minutes because it's hard to breath, I have to limp and hobble to get back to my house, usually feel like I neared puking, and sometimes get cramps in my sides. Is this normal? Right now, I'm doing 6 30-second sprints with 30-second walks inbetween and I feel like I'm pushing myself to around 90-95% of my sprinting potential.

MixmasterNash
07-26-2005, 10:56 PM
1. After my HIIT session today, I had cramps in both sides of my stomach. Could this have anything to do with the fact that I ate my carbs and protein about 30 minutes before my HIIT session? When should I have my pre-cardio carbs and protein?

2. After my HIIT sessions, I usually have trouble walking for a few minutes, have to take quick and short breaths for a few minutes because it's hard to breath, I have to limp and hobble to get back to my house, usually feel like I neared puking, and sometimes get cramps in my sides. Is this normal? Right now, I'm doing 6 30-second sprints with 30-second walks inbetween and I feel like I'm pushing myself to around 90-95% of my sprinting potential.

1. Yes. > 1 hour before.
2. Yes.

fixationdarknes
07-26-2005, 11:27 PM
I see, so more than 1 hour before the cadio? Will the whey still be digesting?

MixmasterNash
07-26-2005, 11:40 PM
Eat protein way before workouts. Eat fast digesting carbs an hour before. Just my experience.

d'Anconia
07-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Dude they don't call it "High Intensity" for nothing. When I'm done with my HIIT session (I sprint 10-15 seconds and then walk for about 75 seconds and do around 11 sprints) I usually walk an extra lap around the track and then stretch. Yeah you should be pretty f*cking pooped when you're done and don't be surprised to be really sore the next day.

HIIT is gnarly and I have problems doing it out here during the summer cuz it's way too hot.

fixationdarknes
07-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Mix- Thanks I'll try that.

fatrb38- I see. So I'm not the only one getting owned by HIIT. Alright cool. :cool:

Built
07-27-2005, 12:43 AM
A little tip about the HIIT - as I understand it, it mobilizes FFAs, which can then be burned off with a little steady-state cardio at the end.

I usually do about 3 minutes of SS warmup, then 8 minutes of intervals (30 sec sprint, 30 sec walk), then finish up with about 8-10 minutes of fast incline walking at the end.

And the "oh, please, I wanna die" feeling at the end means you did it right. :)

ShockBoxer
07-27-2005, 09:01 AM
I did a 10 sec sprint 20 rest cycle. I think I made it maybe 4 minutes before I had to stagger off the eliptical (which was set on max. I had the regular cardio women there just staring at me like I was insane.). HR was 191 according to the sensor... which I found suspicious because it's exactly 220-29.

I had a pounding headache no matter how much water I drank after. Perhaps HIIT isn't such a good idea for me. Despite the feeling of being trashed my body didn't want to stop walking for a minute or so afterwards. Seemed instinctual.

b_sinning
07-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Last night at home I was actually having muscles spams in my abs from a super hard workout and the fact that I sweated off 10lbs on the car ri8de home with no ac. Took me forever to get rehydrated.

Anthony
07-27-2005, 09:22 AM
I did a 10 sec sprint 20 rest cycle. I think I made it maybe 4 minutes before I had to stagger off the eliptical (which was set on max. I had the regular cardio women there just staring at me like I was insane.). HR was 191 according to the sensor... which I found suspicious because it's exactly 220-29.

I had a pounding headache no matter how much water I drank after. Perhaps HIIT isn't such a good idea for me. Despite the feeling of being trashed my body didn't want to stop walking for a minute or so afterwards. Seemed instinctual.

I also do 10 sprint / 20 easy and this sounds exactly like my first attempt at HIIT! It doesn't take long to improve, though. I went from 5-6 minutes to 20 minutes in no time. It's never pleasant, but the cramping and headaches have disappeared. Not sure if the wobbly legs ever go away ... :(

edit: I looked it up and I lied. My first attempt was 20/40 and I got 10 minutes worth. :(

Dedicated
07-27-2005, 09:31 AM
I think you should use shorter intervals so it's easier to progress. Anthony mentioned he went from 5-6 minutes to 20 minutes. This is the best way to progress, by increasing duration first and then the duration of the intervals later if needed. If you start off doing 30 second intervals you are going to find it much harder to progress. Also, if you read the thread on HIIT(it's a really old thread), I believe one of the studies that concluded that HIIT was effective used very short intervals, I think it was 9 seconds intervals or something. Anyways go with shorter intervals if you can. It makes it easier to progress I think.

Also, even though you might be pushing yourself with everything you have, you aren't really performing at 90-95% of your sprinting potential for 30 seconds, very few people can do that.

About eating prior to HIIT. I usually eat a meal about 1.5 hours before any workout or HIIT.

Goodluck and stay consistent, I hope this helps!

MixmasterNash
07-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Most people are NOT immediately ready for HIIT. You don't have to go balls out right away. Ease into it.

Headaches and sick feeling are not unusual for untrained folks.

Tabata protocol works and sucks.

Anthony
07-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Also, if you read the thread on HIIT(it's a really old thread), I believe one of the studies that concluded that HIIT was effective used very short intervals, I think it was 9 seconds intervals or something.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=23970&highlight=HIIT

Just a bump since I also need to read this again.

ShockBoxer
07-27-2005, 09:49 AM
I'd read that one... it's in the sticky, I think.

It's part of the reason I want to do HIIT instead of the 40 minutes of cardio (where my heart is 170 anyways the entire time at the intensity I work at). I'm going to have to work like a fiend to get any muscle mass anyways and I certainly don't want it melting away. Plus if Monday (day one WBB1) was any indication I'm not going to be ABLE to do 40 min cardio.

Heart attacks pretty much invariably whack the guys in my family but usually not until their 50s or 60s (earliest is 56 so far). None of them were exactly paragons of health, either (My brother and I are the only ones who seem to care and do things like work out). I'd rather known not be known as the 'idjit who killed himself before 30' but the idea of lowering my resting heart rate (currently way to high) is appealing... and a year of the 171 for 40 min hasn't pulled it off.

YungLifter
07-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Is HIIT good to do while bulking?

ShockBoxer
07-27-2005, 09:56 AM
What I got from the article is that if it's done right it actually aids muscle growth.

Personally, I'm trying to achieve a little recomposition. I can't eat enough in a day to bulk and I'm already 180 lb at 5'4. I want to increase strength and burn some body fat, first and foremost. Adding mass can come later. I think HIIT could help with all that.

MixmasterNash
07-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Is HIIT good to do while bulking?

Yes.

fixationdarknes
07-27-2005, 01:31 PM
So I'll probably switch to 10s/20s intervals the next time I do HIIT. Should I be going 100% all out when sprinting? I usually go just a little bit lower than I think I can do.

ddegroff
07-27-2005, 01:40 PM
its a sprint isnt it? i would go as hard as you can, but if your just starting out then i would work up to as hard as you can go.

YungLifter
07-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Does anyone have a link to where I can read about HIIT and how to do it?

MixmasterNash
07-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Google HIIT and Tabata. You can do many different exercises for HIIT.

And... http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=165

Nos92LX
07-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Can you do HIIT with distance instead of time? Sprint an arbitrary distance (say 200 ft from start line to finish line) and then jog or walk from the finish line back to the start line and do it all over again.

In this scenario, would it be better to walk back or jog back?

Anthony
07-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Can you do HIIT with distance instead of time? Sprint an arbitrary distance (say 200 ft from start line to finish line) and then jog or walk from the finish line back to the start line and do it all over again.

I know a runner who does this. Sprints the distance and walks back.

bIgHwN86
07-27-2005, 04:54 PM

yup you can do HIIT that way, i like that way better, (just IMHO), i know a couple of guys (mostly sprinters and football players) who do this on the off season and stay in great condition..but i would think u would rather walk back instead of jog back..

d'Anconia
07-27-2005, 10:49 PM
You can do it how you want to but from what I understand for best results you should keep your sprinting intervals under 15 seconds. I believe 5-15 seconds was the range. And yes you should go 100%, I was always under the impression that a sprint was, by definition, 100%. I myself go from the light jog to a faster jog to a sprint so there's probably a 2 second interval where I'm increasing from jogging to dead-sprint.