PDA

View Full Version : Good Mornings

Miguel Zambia
07-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Living as I do in Bumf*** Egypt, there are some techniques, equipment, & exercises I just don't see all that often or ever in local gyms. One of them is the Good Morning. I've done GM's off & on for awhile, but I never really feel as if I'm even close to mastering just the motion of it.

Also, I read around here that Westside suggests doing something like 70% GM's, 20% Squats, & 10% Deads, to best work on deadlift strength. If you're supposed to do 70% GM's, then there must be a wide variety of GM styles, rep ranges, & various ranges & techniques, etc.

But what possible variety is there to GM's? You just put the bar on your back like a squat, then bend over ~stiffleg, & stand back up, right? Is 5-10 reps a good range?

Thanks.

Paul Stagg
07-27-2005, 11:40 AM
GM variantions include the use of different bars, different stances, eccentric only (from chains or off pins), etc.

WSB style training doesn't require GMs at all, though.

drew
07-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Elitefts lists 360 variations of GMs: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/max_effort_goodmorning.htm

Sensei
07-27-2005, 08:28 PM
But what possible variety is there to GM's? You just put the bar on your back like a squat, then bend over ~stiffleg, & stand back up, right? Is 5-10 reps a good range?

Thanks.

There are tons of variations as Drew's link shows, but I recommend sticking w. arched-back good mornings at least until your posterior strength is up to snuff. IMHO, they are the safest kind. Do them in a power rack if you can.

When performing arched-back GMs:
*head up, chest out, abs tight
*bar resting on top of rear delts
*knees bent slightly
*force hips back, maintaining head/chest position (arched w. tight abs)
*from bottom, drive head up and hips through

For arched-back GM variations, try different stances (narrow, shoulder, wide, ultra-wide). I usually do from 3-6 reps, but sometimes I go higher (up to 10).

Miguel Zambia
07-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Wow, thanks for the list, and the tips on the form. The way I see it, those are variations I could pretty much figure out on my own, except for the fact that I am stuck with just a regular straight bar, and a bench camber bar (The Camber bar is far too narrow & destroys my shoulders, so that's completely out). I've only recently realized how useful a wide-camber or a Buffalo bar would be; however, I highly doubt I'll get access to anything other than what I have now, for a long time. So I'm stuck doing really uncomfortable, upper-back-of-neck-and-spine crushing straight-bar GM's.

When I do them, since I use the straight bar, I can't seem to avoid having to adjust the bar -- rolling it up & down the back of my neck & rear delts -- as I bend down & then stand up. Is this normal? I'm not using any real weight now, but if I get 100 pounds stronger or so, I don't know if I'll be able to keep doing this "rolling" up & down my back. Is there any secret to doing GM with a straight bar (other than "use a different bar")?

I see them as a terrific counterpart to Stiffleg/Keystone Deadlifts. I still don't see why I should make them a core lift, to the point of replacing mostly replacing deadlifts. But I can see, if I continue getting stronger at them, just what a useful, straightforward lift it is. Sort of a baby version of Paul Anderson's Backlift!

EDIT: Seated Good Mornings look real interesting. I might check that out.

What are Squat GM's?

And what are Anderson GM's/Anderson GM's "suspended"?

drew
07-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Straight bar GMs I usually hold the bar as wide as possible, this helps me to lock it down onto my back and helps keep it from rolling. Remember to keep a tight arch and your head up, this will also keep the bar where it belongs. I'm regularly doing this with up to 285lbs.

b_sinning
07-29-2005, 01:12 PM
Your doing 285lb good mornings? You have a stronger lower back..

drew
07-29-2005, 01:23 PM
For 1 rep, yes. 2-3 reps is more like 255.

Built
07-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Seated GMs are surprisingly effective. Push through your heels. You'll feel it.

KevinStarke
07-29-2005, 02:43 PM
Drews a good morning monster, anyone that goodmornings more than they bench has a strong lower back.

drew
07-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Don't remind me Kev. I'd rather be benching 285. lol

KevinStarke
07-29-2005, 02:56 PM
You can do it man, you've got a fine build for benching you'll be up there real soon.

Sensei
07-29-2005, 07:58 PM
...So I'm stuck doing really uncomfortable, upper-back-of-neck-and-spine crushing straight-bar GM's.

When I do them, since I use the straight bar, I can't seem to avoid having to adjust the bar -- rolling it up & down the back of my neck & rear delts -- as I bend down & then stand up. Is this normal? I'm not using any real weight now, but if I get 100 pounds stronger or so, I don't know if I'll be able to keep doing this "rolling" up & down my back. Is there any secret to doing GM with a straight bar (other than "use a different bar")?

If the bar is rolling around on your back, then you're not doing them the way I described. Do NOT have the bar resting on the top of your traps - that's too high and the bar will roll up on you. The bar should be resting on the top of your rear delts. Imagine that you are doing a back double biceps pose, then place the bar on top of your rear delts - that's where the bar should be and as long as you maintain upper back tightness and keep your "chest out" the bar should not move unless you totally bite it and smash your face against the ground.

hoser813
07-30-2005, 03:00 AM
I never done a GM before... does anyone have a link of a picture or video to show the exact motion of it?

Built
07-30-2005, 03:39 AM
This link has a movie http://www.muscletech.com/TRAINING/HUGE_HAMSTRINGS/index.shtml

Miguel Zambia
07-30-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm able to do GM's at 235 X 10 right now, even with my messed-up style. I feel if I could master form better, I'd probably be up around 315 for at least 5-7.

I will try everybody's advice here, but I'm tellin ya, it's muy difficult for me to get my arms back behind & low enough to keep the bar in one place on my neck. As I stand up, the bar is lower on my upper back (I'm pretty sure around the rear delts). But as I lower, I cannot help the bar rolling up my neck & forward as my torso gets parallel to the floor.

I need a Buffalo Bar. Those things look like the ticket for me.

EDIT: Once again, what's an Anderson Good Morning? Does this have something to do with Paul Anderson, the man who Backlifted 6,000+ lbs & anecdotally squatted 1200 for reps?

Miguel Zambia
08-02-2005, 04:06 AM
Sensei,

I did GM's after my last post. I just wanted to let you know that I really concentrated on trying to keep the bar lower down my back around the rear delts, and this time it worked real well. The bar didn't roll at all. I even did more weight (265 X 10). (Also I did them as a standalone exercise, instead of after squats, as I usually do.)

Thanks for your good advice, Sensei.

Sensei
08-02-2005, 07:48 AM
Great! I'm glad I could help!