PDA

View Full Version : eggs and health

mohsen
07-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi guys just wanted some opinions on eggs. Now i eat about 15-25 eggs week and my parents tell me too much eggs cause cholesterol problems, and so on, any advice?

getfit
07-30-2005, 03:56 PM
read www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/eggs/res06-cholesterol.html

flabbybones
07-30-2005, 07:28 PM
In Arnold's "The New Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding" he suggests consuming whole eggs instead of just egg whites. He says the yolk is the best part of the egg and should not be wasted.

ShockBoxer
07-30-2005, 09:31 PM
In moderation. Chloresterol does add up (it's what chloresterol does best). If you're knocking back that many eggs a week you might want to skip the yolk on some of them.

Slim Schaedle
07-30-2005, 10:23 PM
Chloresterol does add up (it's what chloresterol does best)
Do you know what HDL cholesterol is?

KingWilder
07-30-2005, 10:33 PM
HDL is bad cholesterol if i'm not mistaken and LDL is good cholesterol

Slim Schaedle
07-31-2005, 12:15 AM
Nope

ShockBoxer
07-31-2005, 05:42 AM
HDL is high density lipo-somethingorother. I think it's the 'good' chloresterol. Isn't a certain amount of it supposed to actually protect your heart?

LDL is the crap that gets circulated and builds up.

That's about all I know.

bradley
07-31-2005, 09:12 AM
http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/suppl_5/556S

ShockBoxer
08-01-2005, 05:35 AM
Interesting read... however in the course of other reading I discovered that you *need* no dietary cholesterol. At all. Your liver can synthesize as much as your body needs as long as you eat adequete protein... and since the average person on this board eats about 5 times that I'll be looking for sources of protein and fat that have much less cholesterol.

I can't imagine the body churns out LDL when it makes chloresterol from scratch for itself. Worth looking into, I think.

Built
08-01-2005, 11:02 AM
My bad cholesterol was high on my former low-fat diet.

It's low now that I weight train, and consume most of my calories from protein and fat.
I consume butter and egg yolks daily.

Built
08-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Oh, and LDL, like HDL, is made in the liver. There are vegans with high cholesterol.

Shao-LiN
08-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Interesting read... however in the course of other reading I discovered that you *need* no dietary cholesterol. At all. Your liver can synthesize as much as your body needs as long as you eat adequete protein... and since the average person on this board eats about 5 times that I'll be looking for sources of protein and fat that have much less cholesterol.

I can't imagine the body churns out LDL when it makes chloresterol from scratch for itself. Worth looking into, I think.

There are a lot of things you don't need.

ShockBoxer
08-01-2005, 08:31 PM
There are a lot of things you don't need.

Like 10 percent body fat and the ability to press more than you weigh. I know. It's all about choices.

I still want to keep my chloresterol at recommended levels as much as possible and that's just not possible knocking back eggs. But hey... if it's working for others then all power to them. I still think 20+ in a week is excessive ... but the OP is young. Young can get away with a lot.

Built
08-01-2005, 09:54 PM
I still want to keep my chloresterol at recommended levels as much as possible and that's just not possible knocking back eggs.

Sure it is.

I brought mine DOWN eating eggs, butter, steak, and whipping cream.

If I can do it, why not you?

Shao-LiN
08-01-2005, 10:24 PM
As far as I know, consumption of dietary cholesterol does not have much bearing on your own cholesterol levels...or at least the negative aspects that the general public seem to associate with it.

ShockBoxer
08-01-2005, 11:12 PM
I meant DIETARY chloresterol at recommended. Yeah, I know all those recommendations are based on a fairly inactive lifestyle... but still.

Body chemistry wise - yes, I am hoping that good clean food and hard training lower, or change the ratio of bad to good, my personal chloresterol levels. That's one of my goals.