PDA

View Full Version : Drink whey protein while working out???????????

KenShamrock
12-16-2001, 06:58 PM
I was woundering when i should take my whey protein on a work out day..like 1 in morning...1before workout and 1 after workout..
Can i take a protein drink while im working out insted of water or juice..
Thank you

little guy
12-16-2001, 07:14 PM
Yeah you can. But it can make your mucus thick and make you want to hurl. I prefer water during and shake after workout.

syntekz
12-16-2001, 08:32 PM
Anything besides water would make me sick.

compnatural
12-16-2001, 09:06 PM
I personally would'nt because most protein drinks are thick and really fill up your stomach. all that blood going to your gut to digest the protein is being taken away from your muscles.

just my 2 cents.

Maki Riddington
12-17-2001, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by compnatural
I personally would'nt because most protein drinks are thick and really fill up your stomach. all that blood going to your gut to digest the protein is being taken away from your muscles.

just my 2 cents.

*** This is not true. Blood flow to the muscles after consuming a protein shake can actually increase I believe by 300%

I would take one before and after.

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-17-2001, 12:40 PM
Actually MAki i would side slightly with compnatural on this one, purely because i remember reading something about how sex in the morning is harder after you've ate breakfast because your body is more concerned with getting blood to the stomach to cerry the nutrients to where they are needed.

at least i think that's what it was anyway.

Although not exactly the same this runs off the same principle.

Makes sense to me.

Paul Stagg
12-17-2001, 01:12 PM
By what mechanism would consuming protein increase blood flow?

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-17-2001, 01:32 PM
well what i read was about food in general but i suppose this counts for protein too.

it was saying that if you have breakfast your body is gonna direct more blood to the stomach ready to recieve the newly digested/absorbed nutrients to take them where they're needed.

the article then said that because of this, getting blood to the ole' todger wouldn't be as easy cause the body is more concerned with blood at the stomach than blood in erectile tissue.

don;t ask me to give any links or references cuz i don't have none - this is something i read in one of my sister's women weekly crappy mags ages ago.

Delphi
12-17-2001, 02:26 PM
There will be incresed blood flow to the muscles because the waste products in the muscle tissue will cause vasodilitation. There will also be increased blood flow to the gut for absorption of nutrients. There's plenty of cardiac output for both, and the rest of the body. That's unless you have congestive heart failure, and you wouldn't be lifting in the first place if you did. Work out and eat.

PowerManDL
12-17-2001, 02:42 PM
You mean I'm not supposed to lift while having a heart attack?

Damn.