PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill the best cardio workout?

HHR
07-30-2005, 09:43 PM
I know it is a silly question but I always hear so called "authorities" amongst my friends & people I speak to at the gym that incline training at the gym is by far the most dominant machine to use to burn fat. I have been using the treadmill in the last few months only for cardio & haven't noticed much of a difference. To all those cutting weight, do you mix up your machine training for cardio? If so, how often?

My gym has a cross trainer, bike, rowing machine & a step machine. There is also another cross trainer like machine but I never find I'm getting a good workout from it. I normally aim for 30 minutes at the gym but will aim now for 40 minutes seeing as my fat isn't going quickly enuff.

ROMANMAN
07-31-2005, 12:59 AM
Cardio should not be your main for of loosing weight, if I were you I would rethink my diet.

Built
07-31-2005, 02:48 AM
You don't do cardio to lose weight. You drop calories to lose weight. You lift heavy to help hang onto muscle while you cut. You do cardio so you get to eat slightly more while you cut.

mohsen
07-31-2005, 05:09 PM
You don't do cardio to lose weight. You drop calories to lose weight. You lift heavy to help hang onto muscle while you cut. You do cardio so you get to eat slightly more while you cut.

how do u count calories?how much calories should a person who weighs 180 pounds with 14% bodyfat take to burn fat?

Built
07-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Less than you need to maintain. LOL!

Track YOUR FOOD on www.fitday.com for a few days, try to be "typical" about it, and post up what your protein, carbs, fat, and cals are. We'll start from there, okay?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-31-2005, 05:20 PM
how do u count calories?how much calories should a person who weighs 180 pounds with 14% bodyfat take to burn fat?You have to experiment because everyone's metabolism/needs differ.

bIgHwN86
07-31-2005, 08:31 PM
Besides the fact you are getting real good advice about what to do to lose weight...i will get to what you asked in this thread....i am trying to lose weight too and look good naked :evillaugh ....

as far as the treadmill being the best cardio workout machine i think I MAY HAVE TO AGREE w/ your "authorities" IMHO i like the treadmill because it gives me feedback on what i have just done and it psychologically makes me feel happier.....but i would suggest switching it up each cardio session....when i return to college i will be doing 3 days of different types of running on the treadmill (Interval, Hill, High Intensity) and the other 3-4days i will be doing either basketball, football, biking, rowing, eliptical, stairmaster just to keep it fresh and new....i have been incorporating some of these things already and i am releshing in the results....but dude you GOTS TO LIFT WEIGHTS!....

well good luck to you...here is my 2cents

***edit****

nice avatar built :evillaugh lol!!!!

JamesBOMB
07-31-2005, 09:14 PM
uh I did cardio to loose weight. I took off 16lbs in a couple of months still repped over 250 in the bench, military pressed 180+ etc.

HHR you have to hit your target heart rate
If I beleive right you take 220 minus your age then divide by 65% and that will give you your target fat burning.

Example for me would be 220-20(my age) / 65% = 130, so I would have to aim at 130bpm for 30-40min to get the best advantage. But keep it at that rate the entire time

Cutting out junk food and sodas will also rapidly reduce your body fat as well.

GotLift
08-01-2005, 02:29 AM
I started cardio training on the treadmill two months ago. I'm up to 3.5 miles/30 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I've had two sodas in two months (I shared with my wife at the movies). All I drink is water and skim milk. I cut out junk food and my deserts are yogurts. I have seen a major difference. I also do WBB#1 on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I have lost about 8 lbs. I'm now ~200 and 6'2". Stick with it, but the diet has to be good to see results.

HHR
08-01-2005, 09:06 AM
I do drink too much soda. Aswell as diet, it is almost like an addiction, I don't really have any foods that I love & crave for but I do with coke. I'll cut them out as best I can. Thanks for the advice guys. I think what I'll do is stick mainly to the treadmill, but if my body feels good I may add a short cardio work on another machine & I'll occasionally switch to a bike session etc.

twm
08-01-2005, 10:01 AM
if I had a dollar for everytime this thread was made, I'd have one hundred million billion dollars

JamesBOMB
08-01-2005, 12:40 PM
and if I got a penny for every person with a sly remark made about these threads id make bill gates look poor. If you got nothing positive or helpful to say, do not post

rmani
08-01-2005, 01:31 PM
i like the stair master for a good cardio workout as well. Easier on my joints and you definitely get a good sweat. Just try not to cheat and support your own weight on the bars like I see people doing all the time.

zimbo
08-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Cardiovascular endurance has numerous benefits that have nothing to do with the number of calories you burn during cardio activities. That's why I enjoy them. The fact that cardio work lets you eat more during a cut is only the icing on the cake. But cardio work won't typically add muscle.

--Steve

GotLift
08-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Cardiovascular endurance has numerous benefits that have nothing to do with the number of calories you burn during cardio activities. That's why I enjoy them. The fact that cardio work lets you eat more during a cut is only the icing on the cake. But cardio work won't typically add muscle.

--Steve

True, it helps lower colestorol (sp?), which is what I was mainly concerned with. However, seeing my love handles melt in two months is a prett awesome side effect too. I usually burn 550 cals. in 30 minutes.

JamesBOMB
08-01-2005, 04:29 PM
True, it helps lower colestorol (sp?), which is what I was mainly concerned with. However, seeing my love handles melt in two months is a prett awesome side effect too. I usually burn 550 cals. in 30 minutes.

what machine do you use to get that?!! The only thing I have came close is 450cals in 30min and that was on the eliptical, and 410 in 30min on the bike! I think I got 190 in 30min on the stairmaster, that kicked my butt

RBC13
08-01-2005, 04:50 PM
The only way you are burning 550 cals in 30 min is if ur doing something compared to running 5 minute miles, which is insane!!!!!!! You might want to rethink that.

zimbo
08-01-2005, 09:37 PM
The elliptical machines at my gym are, shall we say, *optimistic* about how many calories one burns per minute on them. Still, I lost 50 pounds in under 5 months using various forms of cardio as part of the overall program.

--Steve

bIgHwN86
08-01-2005, 10:24 PM
i like those kinds of *optimistic* machines, at least it motivates people to get back on and do it again and again

GotLift
08-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Why does everyone pop my balloon everytime I think I'm doing good? Just Kidding.

I'm not sure, but I think it is a lifefitness machine.
It depends on things like speed, body weight. Are you running consistantly? I run 6.5MPH for 28 minutes, then bust out 7-8MPH for the last two minutes. After that and a 5 minute cooldown I am at 3.5 miles and 550 calories according to the machine. It also depends on the incline that you run at. I usually set it at 2. When the lifefitness is taken, I will use other machines and it seems to be pretty consistant. I usually don't trust the ones that give me a heart rate even when I'm not touching anything. I figure they are probably out of calibration.

Deeman
08-02-2005, 01:13 PM
nice avatar built :evillaugh lol!!!!

Definitely looks awesome. Getfit too! Proof that hard work pays off :evillaugh