PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin absorption

Nuts
08-01-2005, 11:37 AM
I have a theory, and I am looking for confirmation.

Considering that the body can only absorb so many nutrients at a given time, it would be overkill to take a bunch of vitamins at one time, right? With this in mind, I have decided to take supplemental vitamins in the morning, followed by a single multivitamin in the afternoon. My theory being that I will increase the active dosage by breaking it up at different times.

Is there any logic to my methodology, or am I wasting vitamins?

Example

Morning: 2g Fish Oil, 500mg MSM/Gluco, 500mg C, 1200mg Calcium, 1 B-complex, and 1 E vitamin. I also have a powder multi-vitamin in my protein shake, normally an hour or two before I take these individual vitamins.

Afternoon: 2g Fish oil, 1 Centrum multivitamin

Am I doing any good by breaking it up like this?

body
08-01-2005, 03:22 PM
to a degree your right, But at same time your making this far more complex than it is.

eat a good diet and take a normal mutli-vitamin and mineral tablet and you be fine.

Bruise Brubaker
08-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Your theory is right. Spread them as much as possible.

Altough with many vitamins, the more you take, the more your body absorb, yet the more the body eliminate (the rate of absorption decreases slower than the quantity increases). Also, the more you need, the more the body will absorb, and the need, if need there is, probably increases with time.

Nuts
08-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

hoser813
08-01-2005, 07:47 PM
every morning I pop my multi, glucosamine, b-12, zinc, and arginine. Is this too much to be taking at once, or should i spread it out throughout the day?

body
08-02-2005, 04:10 PM
if you can go to the effort of spreading them through out the day, then do so.

some of tablets better absorbed with meal, some better on emtpy stomach.

some food interefer with absorption.

spanky33
08-03-2005, 08:22 AM
I strongly disagree with the theory. The digestive system is much stronger than you give it credit for.

You split the fish oil caps into two sessions of 2grams each. If the human body was only able to absorb 2 grams of fat at once, no one would be fat in the world.

As for the calcium, the only reason you would need a calcium pill is if
1) you dont have enough dairy/calcium rich veggies
2) you eat a ****pile of fiber everyday.
In the first case, taking the pills at once would make no difference from taking then separately. In the second case, it's even BENEFICIAL to take it all at once because you want to overcome the problem of high fiber intake.

Thirdly, the multivitamin has ample vitamic C, all the B vitamins, and vitamin E. There is no need to supplement these throughout the day.
Just my opinion

body
08-03-2005, 11:03 AM
nuts - do oyu know what vitamin and minerals your diet is deficient in?