PDA

View Full Version : Bulking question

sludge
08-02-2005, 06:42 PM
I've been reading up on proper bulking diet on the forums and the general consensus is that to properly bulk one should eat an additional 500 or so calories than when their metabolism would be at equilibrium.

The premise apparently is that it takes a caloric surplus to build muscle.

My question is this: if the body puts on fat from ingesting more calories than it burns, does this mean that the additional calories consumed in a bulking/maintenance diet are automatically converted to fat? Or, is it that the process of building muscle requires energy and this energy is supplied by the caloric surplus?

To put it bluntly, I'm trying to put on muscle, but I don't want to become a fatty in the process. I'm not trying to be a body builder where I get sucked into a routine of bulking and cutting.

Thoughts?

Built
08-02-2005, 06:51 PM
If you want to gain weight, you've got to overeat.

If you want some of that weight to turn into muscle, you have to tell your body to make muscle by USING your muscles - lift heavy stuff and your body will respond to the damage by making those muscles bigger and stronger.

Not all of the extra weight you gain will be muscle. Some fat gain is simply the cost of doing muscle. The trick is to manage it - to try not to gain too much fat while gaining this muscle. There's only so much partioning your body will be able to do with those extra calories in terms of muscle gain. The rest is spillover into fat stores.

What I'm not certain of is just how much fat one should expect to gain on a bulk - ie, how much of a fat gain is acceptable, and how much is "too much".

sludge
08-02-2005, 06:55 PM
How am I supposed to manage it? I'm lifting like 6 out of 7 days a week. If every day I'm supposed to ingest more calories than I burn I don't exactly see how I'm supposed to mitigate putting on fat.

Built
08-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Okay, couple of questions:

Why are you lifting 6 days a week?

What's your training like?

How do you think you're going to gain weight if you DON'T ingest more calories than you burn? (Remember: you overeat to gain WEIGHT. You lift heavy weights to convince your body to partion at least some of this weight into muscle)

sludge
08-02-2005, 07:04 PM
My training schedule this past week went something to the effect of

Day 1: Chest + bis
Day 2: Back + tris
Day 3: Shoulders
Day 4: Chest + bis
Day 5: Back + tris
Day 6: Legs
Day 7: Rest

I've been pushing myself pretty hard in preparation for school starting again.

And I just assumed that the muscle would be built from the additional protein I was taking in, not necessarily from the calories.

Built
08-02-2005, 07:08 PM
My training schedule this past week went something to the effect of

Day 1: Chest + bis
Day 2: Back + tris
Day 3: Shoulders
Day 4: Chest + bis
Day 5: Back + tris
Day 6: Legs
Day 7: Rest
This may be overtraining. You DO need time to rest.

What are you doing for legs, by the way?

I've been pushing myself pretty hard in preparation for school starting again.

And I just assumed that the muscle would be built from the additional protein I was taking in, not necessarily from the calories.
Nope. That's not how it works.

sludge
08-02-2005, 07:12 PM
I don't feel like I'm overtraining. The muscles I go to exercise normally feel fine when I go to lift them. If they don't I do something else.

I lifted legs today, actually. I did:

-3 sets of roughly 30 lunges holding 20 lb dumbbells
-3x7 deadlifts (i wanted to do more, but my grip wouldn't let me.)
-3x10 squats on one of the squatting machines
-3x15-20 calf presses on the leg press machine
-2x10 / leg -- one legged press w/ a 20 lb dumbbell where i bend to the ground with the weight and extend my leg and then lift up the leg and press the weight above my head, keeping my balance between each rep.

some days i'll use the cable free motion machines, depends how i'm feeling.

twm
08-02-2005, 07:13 PM
I just assumed that the muscle would be built from the additional protein I was taking in, not necessarily from the calories.
I had this same misconception and wasted more than 6-8 months of lifting as a result

Built
08-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I don't feel like I'm overtraining. The muscles I go to exercise normally feel fine when I go to lift them.

That's not how you tell.

If they don't I do something else.

I lifted legs today, actually. I did:

-3 sets of roughly 30 lunges holding 20 lb dumbbells
-3x7 deadlifts (i wanted to do more, but my grip wouldn't let me.)
-3x10 squats on one of the squatting machines
-3x15-20 calf presses on the leg press machine
-2x10 / leg -- one legged press w/ a 20 lb dumbbell where i bend to the ground with the weight and extend my leg and then lift up the leg and press the weight above my head, keeping my balance between each rep.

some days i'll use the cable free motion machines, depends how i'm feeling.

I'm sorry to say this, but your leg workout sucks.

Don't use a "squatting machine" - just free squat.

If your grip is holding back your deads, get straps. Not sure what kind of deads you're doing - you might consider SLDLs / RDLs for leg day.

3 sets of thirty lunges? What's that supposed to do?

Easy solution for you: eat more, fix up your leg workout, get more rest. This will help you put on mass.