PDA

View Full Version : Protein Sources

Sinep
12-17-2001, 03:38 PM
I don't know why, but I don't trust protein powder or other non-animal sources such as eggwhite anymore... I'd like to get all my protein from sources such as tuna. But to do my diet with tuna as primary source, I would have to consume up to 8 cans a day. That worries me a little with its mercury ...
anything else that would be just as good (and as lean)
should I worry about mercury in tuna ?

Delphi
12-17-2001, 03:58 PM
Short answer: I don't know.

Long answer: I've heard somewhere that children shouldn't eat more than one serving of tuna a week due to mercury levels. Never seen any proof of that, but I haven't looked for any either.

pastdoubt
12-17-2001, 03:58 PM
turkey, chicken, crap like that. homemade jerky w/ lean meat.:hump:

Maki Riddington
12-17-2001, 04:26 PM
Sinep, what made you lose trust in those protein sources?

12-17-2001, 05:10 PM
trysk posted a good link last week regarding the mercury levels in fish. The canadian gov't claims canned tuna is safe to eat in any quantity, but fresh tuna should be limited.

heathj
12-17-2001, 05:21 PM
Beef, Chicken, Shrimp, Tuna, Salmon, Turkey, etc....lots of animals have great protein with very low carbohydrates...

Delphi
12-17-2001, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Avatar
trysk posted a good link last week regarding the mercury levels in fish. The canadian gov't claims canned tuna is safe to eat in any quantity, but fresh tuna should be limited.

I'd be interested in hearing how canning the tuna would lower the mercury levels.

Sinep
12-17-2001, 05:30 PM
heathj, its not the carbs... its the fat, remember how fat I got on beef ?
maki, I dunno... my instinct mostly
meat eaters are the rulers

Tryska
12-17-2001, 05:31 PM
a percentage is farm raised. but more improtantly, they use smaller fish for canning. whereas fresh tuna tends to come from the big behomoths. who get that whole "compund interest" effect going.....

the smaller the fish..the less other fish it has eaten, the less mercury it has stored.

incidentally, i'm not sure the mercury risk is that bad for men.....pregnant women and women of child-bearing age, seem to have a higher risk, or birth defects...but i'm not sure men have the same issues. unless of course it creates 2-headed spermatozoa or some such thing....

syntekz
12-17-2001, 06:02 PM
who else thinks tryska knows too much?

Sinep
12-17-2001, 06:29 PM
unless of course it creates 2-headed spermatozoa or some such thing....
do you know what I have to eat to get a spermatozoa with an 8 pack instead of 6?

heathj
12-17-2001, 08:02 PM
Chicken, Shrimp, Tuna, Salmon & Turkey have pretty much no fat.

Tryska
12-18-2001, 04:00 AM
syntekz....knows too much in a "the men in helicopters are going to come take her away one day" sort of way??

YatesNightBlade
12-18-2001, 04:07 AM
Rember that different sources of protein have different amounts of amino acids in them. Egg Whites IMO, are the best source of protein. You should be getting a good range of different proteins in your diet. I've heard people recomment 2 types of protein per meal in the past.

dharmendra
12-19-2001, 12:59 AM
Yates is right one should try and consume protien from different
sources eggs ,chicken skimmed milk and beef are my favourite
fishes make me throw up so I dont eat them but i think they to are good suorces. beef may not be up there with eggs or chicken on the B.V rating but there is something about this tissue protien that packs on muscle like crazy. :cool: :angel: