PDA

View Full Version : Protein Denaturing

Mannequin
08-03-2005, 11:34 AM
The other day I went to GNC to replenish my dwindling whey supply (i have a gift card) and I started talking to the sales guy about protein. Among the gems of wisdom he expelled was the comment that cooking meat denatures a majority of the protein making it pretty worthless. He said the same thing about using protein powders when used in baking mixes. Now I do not pretend to know all things chemical and biological, but it wounded like he was full of ****. I am aware that some of the nutrients will be lost when cooked, but enough to make the food virtually worthless? Is he suggesting we go back to eating cured, uncooked meat? Are we really at the point where we tout supplements over whole foods? Can anyone shed light on what percentage of protein is really lost through cooking and any other tidbits on this subject?

ectx
08-03-2005, 11:48 AM
You don't lose protein. Denatured protein is still protein. It gets denatured in your stomach anyway. Your GNC guy is full of it.

YungLifter
08-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Look at the labels of say chicken or beef w/e meat it will tell you the nutritional info of the meat cooked and uncooked. When its cooked its usually 1g lower(if any) of protein so lets say chicken is 24g of protein every 4oz raw(3oz cooked) it would be 23g when its cooked and I dont see 23g of protein as a waste.

+ want to know how thats complete BS? Theirs alot of people who don't even use whey as a protein supp and get all the protein from food and you see them ripped don't you? So just go and smack that guy over the head and tell him to STFU.

Scooter
08-03-2005, 02:17 PM
After you smack him in the head :bash: Stop shopping at GNC

Teufelhund
08-03-2005, 02:46 PM
After you smack him in the head :bash: Stop shopping at GNC

Thats the truth. Take any other sports nutrition outlet and make it fancy inside, double their prices, and give the staff lobotomies, and you've got GNC. GNC is the biggest ripoff ever.

God I hate GNC.