PDA

View Full Version : cardio...post weights

johnny123
12-17-2001, 06:16 PM
whats the word on cardio after weights? bad for gains? and when would the post workout shake be taken, after weights or the cardio. thanks.

gopro
12-17-2001, 06:22 PM
johnny...as long as you are not doing 2 hour lifting sessions, you can do cardio after the weights. I would try not to exceed 1 1/2 hours training time between the weights and cardio, however. So, if the weights take an hour, you will still have 30 minutes for cardio. The post workout shake can be taken right after cardio. I have been competing for years and have always done cardio after weights with no problem...in fact, its a nice cool down.

syntekz
12-17-2001, 06:42 PM
a nice cool down? depends greatly on what you are doing for cardio. ive said it before, but i personally wouldn't be able to do any cardio after training with weights.

gopro
12-18-2001, 09:08 AM
To each his own...I like cardio after weights. When getting ready for a show, I usually do an intense 20 minutes in the morning and a medium intensity session after the weights. Works for me :)

Paul Stagg
12-18-2001, 09:29 AM
I do cardio after weight training as well - same deal as gopro... never more than an hour and a half in the gym.

If nothing else, its efficient.

Now, I wouldn't be able to do any HIIT or intervals after lifting, so I would save that for off days.

Accipiter
12-18-2001, 11:13 PM
I've read studies that say cardio should be on different days than lifting, because the 2 things put your body into different modes.

Maki Riddington
12-19-2001, 05:26 PM
I would side with placing them on different days but as Paul and Go have explained it seems to work fine for them.
So if it works do it.

body
12-20-2001, 01:47 PM
i do kick boxing/ju-jitsu class twice a week on non-training days.
I prefer this over the treadmill as it a lot less boaring so I for get how tired cardio makes me. Also these type of sport allows more for very short burst of high explosive movement then a more steady pace.

If you do not like treadmills etc find a sport to play to keep your mind off the boardom.
Ideally i would swim if I wanted to do thes best exercise IMO for cardio-health benefits.