PDA

View Full Version : Abs Diet

turnonthelight
08-04-2005, 03:03 AM
has anyone ever heard of, let alone TRIED the abs diet?

pruneman
08-04-2005, 05:38 AM
No...what is it?

MM
08-04-2005, 06:24 AM
It's something Men's Health put out a few years ago. Hint: it's not rocket science.

drew
08-04-2005, 06:35 AM
ABS = Absolutely Bull Shhhhhhhhhhhh.... :D

.maximum.
08-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Well, if you compare the 12 "power foods" to the "What a bodybuilder eats" thread, you would be surprised at the similarities. It also suggests you eat (drumroll, please) 6 small meals a day!

I read some of the book, and the biggest problem that I have with it is that is makes exercise a secondary part of the "program". Oh well, I suppose sinec it's a "diet", it wouldn't really focus on exercise...Good program to follow, but I would suggest getting some heavy lifting involved from the start.

pruneman
08-04-2005, 07:22 AM
I read some of the book, and the biggest problem that I have with it is that is makes exercise a secondary part of the "program". Oh well, I suppose sinec it's a "diet", it wouldn't really focus on exercise...Good program to follow, but I would suggest getting some heavy lifting involved from the start.

If it's abs you want, you will find them in the kitchen...not the gym.

Deeman
08-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Every diet has "some" good tips..and I use the term good loosely!

All Fad diets are exactly that..FADS. You go hardcore in one direction and then, once it's done, go back to your normal eating habits that you had before the diet. Aaaaaaaaand all the weight comes back.

My opinion: Take everything with a grain of salt. Take the positive points from each diet and do ALOT of research for yourself and see the similarities. Certain things such as eating 6 meals/day, amount of calories, WHAT to eat, percentages of prot/carb/fat to eat, etc. are standards that work well for many people. Also, drinking alot of water.

There is so much BAD information out there it's terrible. Take the Atkins diet..No carbs???? That's insane! Forget being anything but an unhealthy couch potato with no energy. No fat diet??? You need fats..good ones though.

I don't know everything..but all i do know is that fad diets don't work. You need to see what works for you and adapt it as you go along. And whatever you decide to do, your diet should become a lifestyle. That is the only way you will enjoy eating and keep the weight off.

Hope this rant helped ehehehe

Woodward
08-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Deeman, good last paragraph.

Built
08-04-2005, 12:24 PM
My opinion: Take everything with a grain of salt. Take the positive points from each diet and do ALOT of research for yourself and see the similarities. Certain things such as eating 6 meals/day, amount of calories, WHAT to eat, percentages of prot/carb/fat to eat, etc. are standards that work well for many people.
The percentages mean nothing.

Take the Atkins diet..No carbs???? That's insane!

The Atkins diet isn't a no-carb diet. It was also how I lost most of the weight I needed to lose when I started four years ago, and it restored me to good health. What it DIDN'T do is get me down to lean. But it got me down to "no longer overweight", with optimal blood lipids and off Metformin.

Where people go wrong with Atkins is they a) don't read the book and b) rely on "frankenfoods" - fake bread, fake pasta, fake ice-cream… I ate real food. If you actually follow the program, you gradually increase your carbs on Atkins. Following it by the book, I ended up eating, on any given day, 2 cups of broccoli, 2 cups of green beans, a large salad, half an avocado, walnuts, steak, chicken, olive oil, butter, berries, and eggs. I even ate small quantities of yam and wild rice. What I didn't eat was bread, rice, pasta, or pastries.

This isn't substantially different from how I generally eat now.

My diet has evolved to include somewhat less fat, more protein, and sometimes, more carb now than I did then, and I use carb cycling and macronutrient targeting to my advantage now that I know about these strategies.

As stepping stones go, for me, Atkins was a good one.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-04-2005, 12:56 PM
If it's abs you want, you will find them in the kitchen...not the gym.Actually it's more like a combination of the two. I know people who are close to having an anorexic appearance, yet their abs still don't show.

So you still have to workout your abs while maintaining a proper diet.

.maximum.
08-04-2005, 01:03 PM
In order to more efficiently burn fat, it helps to have a good base of muscle IN CONJUNTION with proper dieting practices, isn't it?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-04-2005, 01:05 PM
^^^^^^

Yes, that would be correct.

twm
08-04-2005, 01:58 PM
If it's abs you want, you will find them in the kitchen...not the gym.
What cabinet are they in?!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Yeah...that must be a pretty awesome cabinet!

Shao-LiN
08-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Fad diets do tend to work, actually, because they mostly apply the same basis....calorie deficit.

pbsteve09
08-04-2005, 05:01 PM
actually i did buy the abs diet, because yes im a sucker for mens health, and i had to see what it was all about lol. However this is one of the few diets that encourages someone to eat nuts, grains, so much protein and things along that line. It doesnt cut out foods like every single diet out there, it encourages them. I wouldnt say this book is a fad, its just a guide to people who want to scale down. Matter of fact i remember a specific sentance saying how this book isnt to get big bulkly muscles, its to be thin.

dissipate
08-04-2005, 10:02 PM
by reading "what a bodybuilder eats" and other good threads around here, you can use the money that was to be spent on abs diet for REAL YUMMY FOOD!!

fixationdarknes
08-04-2005, 10:38 PM
by reading "what a bodybuilder eats" and other good threads around here, you can use the money that was to be spent on abs diet for REAL YUMMY FOOD!!

:withstupi