PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut?

Jane
12-17-2001, 08:01 PM
I don't know whether to cut or not. I'd really like to, as my bodyfat is higher than it has been for years. (18-22%?) However, at 5'7 and 117pounds, I suppose I could try to build up some muscle first so when I cut I dont wind up with too low of bodyweight. sorry if this question annoys anyone, but the bf% is *really* bugging me on a daily basis, especially my newfound need to buy need clothes. What to do?

a. drop cals below maintenance, cut the bf% then lean bulk
b. add 250 cals over maintenance, train hard, eat clean
c. keep cals at maintenance, train, eat clean, see what happens (gain muscle and lose bf% at same time? maybe? if im really lucky? :) )

PowerManDL
12-17-2001, 08:06 PM
Ok, let me give you some advice:

At 5'7 and 117 lbs, DO NOT cut.

Without seeing a pic I couldn't judge your BF %, but considering your height/weight and history, I seriously doubt its very high. 18 to 20% is considered normal for a female.

In your situation, I'd try to keep the cals at or slightly above maintenance, and focus on your training. Heavy weights and progression should be the goal.

I've stayed +/- 2 lbs of my weight, but there's no doubt from looking at me that I've leaned out some. Its not that hard to do it. Go with b or c.

IceRgrrl
12-17-2001, 08:09 PM
Jane, my vote is to just keep focusing on the lifting and eating well (option c). If you're 5'7" and 117 pounds, you can afford to pack on some more muscle before you have to worry about cutting. 18-20% body fat is low for a woman, fitness/bb competitors nonwithstanding.

As far as new clothes go, beware the female clothing/size trap. Both Savannah and I can attest to the fact that women's clothes are not made for buff chicks, esp jeans and pants. I think both of us have made joking comments about girls' jeans not having a prayer of going over our quads. It's all a matter of your frame of reference and who/what you're comparing yourself to.

Best of luck :)

Orange357
12-17-2001, 08:30 PM
My vote is for dont cut your B/F is already low..b/c should do you good:)

syntekz
12-17-2001, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Orange357

Wow.

12-17-2001, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Orange357

was that dirty? I thought it was but was hard to get past the grammer.. hehe well anyways..

5'7 @ 117 is SKINNY. don't cut babe.

but if you want an honest more accurate opinion, I think we all need a full nekkid bodyshot. ;)

PowerManDL
12-17-2001, 10:37 PM
tuttut

Tryska
12-18-2001, 04:28 AM
how many different ways do you need to be told she's underage avatar?

jane.....you are nowhere ready to be cutting yet. mut on some more muscle mass. i honestly don't think your at 18 yet. are you saying that because something kicked in? if so, perhaps your body is more sensitive.....

the doc
12-18-2001, 06:56 AM
Hit those weights!!!
eat that steak!

PUsh yourself hard in the gymn!!!!!

ElPietro
12-18-2001, 07:16 AM
Yeah just up the intensity if you want...if you feel soft where you need to cut maybe you just need to lift a bit more...I'm not going to tell you not to cut because it's your body and if you think that's what it will take to make you look better than go ahead...but it may not be necessary...

Orange357
12-18-2001, 01:32 PM
Bunch of dirty minded peopletuttut